View Poll Results: Would you attend a photo rally on the north rim area June 8-10?
yes 5 71.43%
no 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Oh, there you guys go again, planning another rally at a time when we're stuck here! (And now that I've got a new camera -- ancient Pentax SLR to a new digital Pentax SLR -- I'm itchin' for a photography tour!)

Lynn
Is that the K1000? I learned on that camera. Fantastic camera, darn near bulletproof. Maybe I will stop in and see you on they way west...

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:49 AM   #16
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Is that the K1000? I learned on that camera. Fantastic camera, darn near bulletproof. Maybe I will stop in and see you on they way west...
Yep, the old one is a K1000, one of the best film cameras ever built, IMHO! I'm keeping it, though perhaps more out of sentiment than anything else. The new one is a K100D, with which I can use the two lenses that I had for the K1000. (Pentax has a special on at the moment, so I also get a $50 rebate.) I've got the new one set to full manual mode so that it's a reasonable match with the K1000.

And, to bring this back to the thread, I'd dearly love to take the new camera to the north rim! Alas, our travel time is limited to April/early May and then to latter October and November.

Lynn

Old 12-08-2006, 12:33 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Rodney; The North Rim sounds great to us. My wife and I have camped there ten consecutive years. We missed out 2006 accident on the way there. In the past we did not have a problem with reservations as long as we avoided the holiday weekends and booked early.

If our WBCCI Unit caravan does not happen we will be at the N.Rim, June 8-10.

Charlie M.
Las Vegas, NV
2005 Safari 22'
Old 12-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
We went to North Rim in June, 2005.
Stayed in Page. Did North Rim, Vermillion Cliffs, Antelope Canyon, Rainbow Bridge, and Monument Valley.
The weather can be unpredictable. North Rim was flatout COLD when we were there. It was 41 degrees, it rained, it hailed, it sleeted, and the evening we left, it snowed on us....June 11, 2005.
The photos were fantastic due to the weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-055F.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	29578   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-878F.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	29579  

Name:	MVC-879F.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	29580  

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:57 AM   #19
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
As David stated, the weather at the North Rim can be cold and wet. This is from the GCNP web site.
Quote:
SUMMER
North Rim summer temperatures are cooler than those on the South Rim due to increased elevation and can range from 40s-70s°F (5°-21°C). The North Rim is 8000 feet (2438 m) above sea level. Thunderstorms frequently occur during July, August, and early September. Inner canyon temperatures are extreme. Daytime highs at the river, 5000 feet (1500m) below the rim, often exceed 105°F (40°C).
The temperture is so different from the rim to the river. We hiked to the bottom (from the South Rim) a few years ago in October. At the top it was cold. All the way down we were putting excess cloths in our packs. At the bottom we were in shorts and t-shirts...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:11 PM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Poll added

I added a poll to gauge interest. The date is the date when I plan to be there. If it doesnt work for folks, I would be all for it being on another date even if I cant attend.

and the
My Blog

Old 12-18-2006, 06:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Havasu Falls...

Quote:
I was also thinking about hiking down to Havasu Falls, anyone done that?
We hiked down to Supai and then to Havasu Falls in mid-October about 10-12 years ago. Far and away it was the most difficult hike we have ever undertaken. The temps were over 100 and even worse was the fact that much of the path was along a dry creekbed with loose gravel/rocks, which meant that we had to expend twice the energy necessary just walking.

Sad to see what has happened to the dependents of the state in Supai. We stayed at the lodge that was intended to draw visitors. It was only a year old, but was falling apart from disrepair in even that short time. The Falls are okay but you can see travertine falls elsewhere with less effort and agony. In Yellowstone, for example.

Our hike out was begun at the crack of dawn to avoid the heat. I suppose all experiences in nature have their merits. The costs of this one, however, may not have produced an equal or greater benefit, I'm afraid.

Oh, and as others have said, Supai is way, way out of the beaten path so you would spend the better part of three days for a couple of shots.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #22
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I also hiked Supai a couple of times many, many moons ago. This was before the the flood which took out most of the travertine bowls on the bottom of Havasu Falls. It was a great experience, I'd do it again, if I were to ever be 30 again.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Havasu Falls

Quote:
Jeff, I'm thinking June 8-10th. At the moment my plans are to hit Canyon DeChelly on the way west, then I want to spend a week or so in the area of the Big Ditch and Page. I was also thinking about hiking down to Havasu Falls, anyone done that?
I hiked down to Havasu Falls in April of 2000. I was 59 then and the hike did not seem to be too bad, i.e. not as bad as going down Tanner Trail all the way to the river.
We did take advantage of the pack horse service offered by the Indians to carry our tents, clothes, food and cooking gear. This meant we could hike light with just water and camera.

Other options are to ride one of their horses or mules or take the helicopter service.

I thought Havasu Falls and Mooney Falls were fantastic! The first are pretty and you can swim in the pool, the second is a thrilling climb down the face of the travertine via chains, ladders and a tunnel.
See my pictures at;
Havasu Falls
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
. . . . The date is the date when I plan to be there. If it doesnt work for folks, I would be all for it being on another date even if I cant attend.
I would love to make it to this photo rally, but alas. Work schedules AND a marginal TV are my obstacles. Before I make a trip to the big ditch with the TW, I want a TV that I have no doubt can go the distance. If you ever have a photo rally closer to home, I would try pulling strings if necessary to be there.

Ya'll are going to have a wonderful time.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
I would love to make it to this photo rally, but alas. Work schedules AND a marginal TV are my obstacles. Before I make a trip to the big ditch with the TW, I want a TV that I have no doubt can go the distance. If you ever have a photo rally closer to home, I would try pulling strings if necessary to be there.

Sugarfoot, host your own photo rally over at Fall Creek Falls, IMO.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-540F.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	29922  

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:04 AM   #26
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot

Tell you what, I will be teaching in east-central KY this spring, how about an April or May get together some where on the Cumberland Plateau?

and the
My Blog

Old 12-19-2006, 05:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
Sugarfoot, host your own photo rally over at Fall Creek Falls, IMO.
Oh, David, that's a wonderful shot of the falls, rainbow and all. Fall Creek Falls has so much beauty. A photo rally there is not a bad idea. I would have to recruit a true photography expert, and it looks there are aseveral of you out there. Four years of ownership and I still haven't figured out how to use all the settings on my Nikon. The "Auto" function is near worn out, though.
Quote:
Tell you what, I will be teaching in east-central KY this spring, how about an April or May get together some where on the Cumberland Plateau?
That sounds awesome. I would definitely plan to be there, would even try to rearrange my work schedule if necessary. Do you think there would be enough interest to pull this off? The North Georgia and anyone else bunch will also be rallying, probably the 3rd weekend of April.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Huntington , Vermont
Rodney,
Would really like to meet you at the Grand Canyon, but cannot justify it this year.
We will, however be exhibiting Bob's wood turnings in Austin, TX on April 15 and then hope to follow with another show in Chattanooga over the weekend of the 21st. Put us down as possible for a Kentucky/Tennessee get together.

Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

http://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote