Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Ohio Peak of Fall Nature Photo Rally

After having so much fun at the Metro-Detroit rally, I thought I would try to put together something for October. So, let me throw out this idea:

Ohio Peak of Fall Nature Photo Rally
Hocking Hills, Ohio
October 26-28, 2007

I’ve been in contact with professional photography instructor Eric Hoffman of Photography by Hoffman - Workshops, Wedding and Nature Photography - In the Hocking Hills Region of Ohio . We are working together to assemble a program to lead our group in an instructional photo tour of various highlights of the park. He is very knowledgeable in the best locations and lightings of the area. Following our session, we will be able to critique our work and enjoy a slideshow of the area.

Personally I’ve always enjoyed taking pictures, but I feel I’m missing out on what may be some easy techniques and tools to make my images better. Eric will cater to all skill levels in the group. This “workshop” will take place either Saturday morning, Late Saturday afternoon, or early Sunday. Cost will be determined by number of participants.

This activity will only be part of the fun! I suspect the usual potluck and social times will be very prevalent. I also will make time for hiking the park.

Suggested camping locations include Hocking Hills State Park, Scenic View Campground Scenic View Family Camping in the Hocking Hills, or Top o’ the Caves Welcome to Top O' The Caves Campground: Lodge, Cabins, Campers and Tents with swimming pool kidd's playground fishing pond and game arcade. Hockinghills Ohio. All seem to be between $25-$30 per night.

This rally is only “in concept” right now. I’m open to any ideas and changes. Please discuss!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
So, any thoughts/interest on this? If not, I need to get ahold of the photographer to release the date!

Thanks!

www.campnova.com

Old 08-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Dan,

If I knew my trailer would be ready I'd make this my maiden voyage. This could be a really good event.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Excellent Idea!

Hi DanB,

Wish I could attend. I hope everything comes together for you.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
_

. , .
great idea for a rally...

wonderful time of the year, late october.

i'll put this one on my 'to do' list

so keep the details coming.

will bring cameras, are there some bike/hike trails nearby?

it you build it, some will come!!!!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Dan,

Did you think about this being Halloween weekend - the last big camping bash of the year? They'll be doing that Haunted Hocking Hills stuff that weekend.... could be fun or not what your looking for....
Old 08-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #7
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Hey Dan,
Cool idea for a rally. Conflict on the dates for us this year, maybe we can make your next rally? Post lots of pix it looks gorgeous there!
Old 08-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Hello DanB,

We are definitely interested. Is this really going to happen? Please keet us updated.

Thanks for your work on this.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 08-13-2007, 07:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Campground Suggestion?

It looks like we have a couple of interested people, so I'll try to keep this moving forward.

I'm open to suggestions for the campground. I've listed a couple in post #1, but perhaps you have a better idea.

Once we decide, I'll get some costs together on the whole package.

I realize this is the holloween weekend! Should we consider moving this to Oct. 13&14?

Let me know your thoughts!

www.campnova.com

Old 08-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I may actually try to torque up the repair schedule and think about trying to do this. My A/S has been parked for over a year now and she seems to be getting itchy to travel.

Will wait for those who are more interested for sure to see what dates you actually come up with.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Since you're talking about Halloween weekend, any campground that has any sort of Halloween/Fall Festival will probably be booked -- this includes most state parks and larger, corporate campgrounds. I know that we usually have to book Halloween weekend in April or May......

Earlier may be better, especially because it's been so dry up here, many trees are turning colors early.

Good luck! Sorry we can't join you,

Pam

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Grouco Marx
daveandpamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
interested

Hi Dan! This sounds interesting, but you probably should call several campgrounds and see if you can get any dates set up and ask about what their fall schedule of events is going to be. Lots of them have Halloween on different weekends during Oct. and not necessarily the real Halloween weekend. Many must be booked way in advance unless you want to take a chance on availability by just driving in.
Larry and I are interested in seeing Hocking Hills again. We loved going there. There are lots and lots of trails and spectacular things to see...Conkles Hollow, Ash Cave, Rock House etc. Of course, you know about our situation with the parenti. They need special care now. Once you finalize the dates with some of these other folks and figure the dates and place out we will for sure see if it is doable for us to leave Loren in charge of Mom and Dad and get there too. Keep us posted.
Lou and Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
From Top-O-The Caves web site as of today. Number of sites available and maximum occupancy for the 13/14th.

electric camping $26-$28 (US) 20 4 water and electric $28-$30 (US) 20 4 full hook-up camping $30-$33 (US) 20 4
Old 08-17-2007, 03:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Dan,

Is this dead? It inspired me enough to ramp up my repairs and this event or not my trailer is going somewhere this fall. She's sat for over a year - swear I saw a tear dropping from her scare light the other day. Called the Top-O-The Caves. They can still accomodate a group on the 12th/13th and place them together. The next weekend they still have openings but would have to spread everyone out.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
ready to go?

If your AS baby is ready to go you are welcome to come up and have a mini rally with all of us. Rich Luhr and family, of Airstream Life, is coming to our driveway for a mini rally in our backyard. Several others are planning on coming and we have plenty of driveway space. Planning a Sat. night potluck and campfire, weather permitting. Labor Day weekend...coming soon! We are working on activities for Sun. The fun will start here on Fri. night. I think you are about 2 hrs. from here. We are about 25 miles SW of Cleveland... straight north on I 71 to Rt. 301 north to LaGrange. Hope you will think about joining us.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Thanks...

That is so generous of you. I'd really like to do that but doubt I can be ready by then - even though I've resigned myself to letting a dealer do some of the work (mount tires & shocks, etc.).