Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Are you interested in attending a forum rally in southern Colorado in October 2006?
Nope 4 66.67%
Yes: Sand DunesNP-Senic Railroad-Hot springs 1 16.67%
Yes: Sand Dunes NP- Rail Road 0 0%
Yes: Sand Dunes NP and I would entertain myself 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
October Great Sand Dunes & Senic Rail Rally?

I am currently a candidate for a position that would result in my relocating to south central Colorado (I should know one way or another this month). Anyway I got to thinking it might be fun to organize a forum rally in the area in October when the aspens are changing. I was thinking maybe Great Sand Dunes National park as a base with side trips on the “San Luis Express” and “Cumbres and Toltec” rail roads during the day and maybe to area hot springs in the evenings.

Would anyone have interest in such a rally? Like I said, its not for sure I will be moving to the area but if it should work out that I do I would be willing to ram-rod this one.

http://www.alamosa.org/index.cfm?fus...ubCategoryId=0

http://www.alamosa.org/index.cfm?fus...ubCategoryId=6

http://www.alamosa.org/index.cfm?fus...ubCategoryId=3

http://www.nps.gov/grsa/index.htm

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:05 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Well now, thats a resounding lack of interest....

Old 03-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I guess for me, "Nope" was too harsh an answer. We visited Great Sand Dunes last October and were blown away by its beauty.

But for us Virginians, it's too soon to go back. So far away----.

But it is a wonderful place and know that all who can join you will have a great time. Good luck getting a job is S CO. What a paradise.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
It's so funny you mention this right now, since we were camping there at the time of your first post! I'll provide some pictures of the campground and dunes to help draw some more interest. Personally, I can't commit just yet, but this trip does interest me!
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
I would attend but the timing is a bit off. I will be out and about during September. Timing IS everything. As time grows closer and you are able to firm things up. It'll come together.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Mmm, sand dunes.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I forgot to take pictures of the campground, mostly due to the fact that the wind was howling most of the time, making it quite unpleasant and COLD to be outside. All campsite were paved and set amongst large juniper bushes and pines. Loop A was the only loop open, and there were few back in sites that could accommodate anything larger than our 19' Bambi AND we had to squeeze the TV in the side. There were a few pull 'thru' curbside sites with GREAT views of the dunes, but no protection for us from the wind.

There were two additional loops that were closed, and I didn't bother to walk thru them.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:57 PM   #8
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
It's commendable for you to try and put together a get-together such as this. We may well be in the area at that time since we were in South Fork both this year and last, but I checked "nope" anyway. There are so many beautiful places within 60 to 75 miles of the dunes where you might see the fall foliage though by that time of the year, I think you'd be a little late. The fall colors began the second week in September last year in the area. At the dunes and for about a 50 mile radius, there is only high desert

The sand dunes are a place that I guess everyone should experience once, but it isn't a place I yearn to see up close again. Except for the view of Mt. Blanco in the background, there is nothing much else around for miles. There isn't any ready access to the mountain scenery from there. You have to drive a good distance for access. The camping facilities are very basic and forget about dinner in town. I'd possibly be ameniable to driving over from South Fork or Creede for the day to meet some of the forum members if you get this together, but I wouldn't want to stay out there at the dunes, especially at that time of year.

Both South Fork and Creede on the other hand, have ready access to the most beautiful mountain scenery that Colorado offers and both have a variety of camp grounds from boondocking all the way to several with 5 star rated resort type amenities. While a number of restaurants will have closed by then, there will remain a few open allowing at least the option of a meal out from time to time.

I don't have to be "entertained", but the thought of more than a day out there would just not be my cup of tea.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Campgrounds

We're planning on going in July so won't be able to join your crew, but it sounds like great fun.

The national park has been criticized for a handful of reasons and we're looking for another place to park a few nights in the area. Does anyone have other experiences to share of where one might stay?

Tom, and Frank
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:20 AM   #10
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
After more than 30 years of experience in the area, we always stay at the South Fork Campground on the banks of the Rio Grande river near South Fork, Colorado which is a good distance from the dunes. Their website can be accessed by pointing your browser to http://www.southforkcampground.com/. This campground is beautiful with large, shady sites and the most friendly people to be found anywhere. It has WIFI and complete hookups, very clean laundry and shower facilities, a store, propane and other supplies. Usually several times a week there are park sponsored activities of one sort or another. South Fork is located at the junction of two scenic highways (160 and 149) at the base of Wolf Creek Pass. We've been all over Colorado and feel this area and this campground have the most to offer as far as scenery, activities and pricing.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Try LaVeta for a night or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
We're planning on going in July so won't be able to join your crew, but it sounds like great fun. The national park has been criticized for a handful of reasons and we're looking for another place to park a few nights in the area. Does anyone have other experiences to share of where one might stay? Tom, and Frank
Hi Tom & Frank:

I'm glad to hear you are coming out to Colorado in July, so see if your schedule allows you to fit in some time to drop in a few hours at our 2006 VAC Rocky Mt. Rally held August 11-15th in Creede, CO:

http://www.rmvac.org/2006%20website/info.html

You might spend a night to two in LaVeta, CO. We had our 2003 VAC Rally there at the Circle the Wagons Campground. Look here:

http://www.airstream.net/rallies/03-RockyMtn/

for some photos. It's a funky local campground and the town is fun. Check out Cuchara further south and uphill on Colorado Route 12, its a laid back small resort street worth a few hours visit. Have a great trip out here.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
We're planning on going in July so won't be able to join your crew, but it sounds like great fun.
Tom, and Frank
Tom and Frank,

Keep me posted on your trip just in case I am out there , I would love to meet you (even if you are from the wrong end of the state ).

Old 03-06-2006, 01:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Very picturesque area! I stopped by briefly on my way back from Taos, NM last August...I have a couple of pictures on the front page of my website right now...

Too soon to tell, but maybe I will join in...I'll ponder it!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote