Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2004, 08:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
Roger:
Here's a good looking spot in DHS for $25/ night (2 people). Kids would add $5/ea.
www.woodalls.com/a/3602_desertspringsspa.html
I'll keep looking. What would your ETA be on Weds.?
This is a problem that I have found at many of these parks at DHS. They are 55+ parks. I don't know if they would make an exception for one night for a 14 year old.

Just got an email back (11/1). They will not take children there. Then I realized that Roxie and I are not even above the minimum age! Boy, I sure feel like it! They, naturally, recommended Sam's family spa place. We don't have to stay at the same place but it would be nicer.

Our travel time will be about 5-6 hours. So if we leave by 10am we should be there by 5pm (including lunch).
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:32 PM   #42
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Let's try and all meet at the same place, if possible.
Creampuff and I will scope out things once we get there, and save spots for the others, if necessary.
PM me if you need a cell phone number.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:41 AM   #43
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
What Great Fun!

Well, we're back after 5 days of Airstreaming fun. Participants were Caadoptees, Creampuff, and Uwe, just like on our Baja Forum Rally last March.
We all met at Desert Hot Springs on Wednesday, got acquainted again and enjoyed an evening of hot mineral bath at Sam's RV Park.
Below is a picture of our rigs at Desert Hot Springs.
Caadoptees in the foreground, Creampuff in the center, and Uwe's Tradewind in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2353.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	9375  
Old 11-08-2004, 11:50 AM   #44
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
No Bad Days!

That's the motto when you're in or near San Felipe.
We spent our days relaxing, enjoying each other's company tremendously. The weather was somewhat unstable, with a slight wind and partly cloudy skies on Thursday and Friday, but a glorious day on Saturday. we got sprinkled with a slight rain on Saturday night, but overall the temps were very comfortable, and the winds gave us a very soothing surf sound from the sea of Cortez to fall asleep by. The weather patterns and cloud cover allowed for spectacular sunsets! I don't remember seeing colors like this before. The pictures below were taken on 2 different evenings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sunset1 copy.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	9376   Click image for larger version

Name:	skystreams.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	9385  

Old 11-08-2004, 12:48 PM   #45
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Fun activities

A very, very good time was had by all. Friday was spent visiting the "Valle de Gigantes", an area with a very large concentration of Cordon Cactus. We found an amazing quantity of these 300 year old giants in this valley, nestled along some very deep sandy "roads".....even Roger's 4wdF250 could not get out of with out some minor "adjustments".
Friday night we all crammed in Roger's pickup ( it can hold 7 people, btw.) and went into town to their annual Shrimp festival. It was like a carnival, with street vendors, entertainment, dance groups, live bands, amusement booth, bumper cars, even a haunted house. Many of the local restaurants were offering shrimp and Margarita specials, and most of us sampled the goods. The town was definitley all decked out for this event, with the main boulevard ( Malecon) closed to vehicular traffic. A definite family event, with kids and parents equally enjoying the festivities. Also, a great spot to just sit outside in a sidewalk shrimp shack, sipping a few margaritas, and just people-watch.
Saturday everybody again populated Roger's pickup, and we went exploring San Felipe and the surrounding area. We decided that after visiting a few other camp areas, our favorite spot will always be Punta Estrella. At night we had a nice potluck dinner and then a multi-national campfire. Yes, Americans, Canadians, a lone German, and some Mexican guests were sharing stories in broken english and broken spanish. Quite a nice evening, with no wind, a warming fire, drinks, and good friends.
Photo Credit: Creampuff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sahuaros.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	9383   Click image for larger version

Name:	stuck.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	9384  

Old 11-08-2004, 10:01 PM   #46
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Cool All that and "the singing Bouviers" to boot!

Definitely echo Uwe's comments. The wives got along like long lost classmates! We're already talking about a spring trip to Joshua Tree Monument and, of course, Baja March 2005. Buffy and Emmy- the singing Bouv's. debuted their new Mexican cover song "la cuccaraucha" to a standing ovation!!
More photos when I can get them down to size.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:08 AM   #47
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Sunday AM

Despite the sprinkles on Sunday morning, the sun tried it's best to poke through the dark clouds. It gave us images like the one below, but with a sweet scent of fresh rain.
Photo credit: Creampuff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	weather.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	9386  
Old 11-09-2004, 04:19 AM   #48
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Baja wives

A typical morning at Punta Estrella, wives visiting, having coffee or tea, husbands slaving over a hot stove........
From left to right: Roxie, Didi, Kay (in the Hammock)
Photo Credit: Creampuff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wivesvisiting.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	9387  
Old 11-09-2004, 04:39 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
I had a good time also, although I was fighting a head cold for the whole trip. With sunsets like this, how can you not enjoy?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sunset1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	9390  
On the road!
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
Old 11-09-2004, 06:28 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Creampuff-Uwe, your photos are sure winners for Airstream Life or the BB photo of the month. Incredible shots! Beautiful descriptions! Now we have ANOTHER gotta-go -there destination. Thanks, all!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 07:40 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Ooooooooh, I am so envious! I love Mexico and it's #2 on our "go to" list. This is all the more reason to get more work done on the 'stream and get there. It's reassuring to know that in all likelihood we won't end up in a Mexican jail or kidnapped. Note to self: Don't watch "Man on Fire" before my trip to Baja with Uwe and friends!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:59 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
WOW!! Awesome pics. Yes, at least one of them should be in Airstream Life. And the shrimp festival sounds so cool. Sweet trip!

How were the border crossings?

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:01 AM   #53
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
WOW!! Awesome pics. Yes, at least one of them should be in Airstream Life. And the shrimp festival sounds so cool. Sweet trip!

Border crossings were actually not bad. Going in the Mexicans looked in the trailer and wanted to know if we had any guns or ammo. I had to show the trailer papers. Coming back was easy except for the long lines at the Calexico crossing. We'll explore an alternate crossing for next March. They always want to check the trailer interior but I think it's more to see the rig than anything else! I had to show the 5 lbs of jumbo shrimp we bought ($22 ) at the St. Filipe harbour, but otherwise it was a breeze.
AIR #189

Old 11-10-2004, 03:25 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:

Our 'worst' crossing was back into the US. The agent went in the trailer and removed our apples, eggs, grapes, tomatoes. My wife thought that he wanted a special dinner later. Going in they asked about and guns. I said, "No, I know better". They smiled.

We also had two other checkpoints. One about 30 miles north of San Felipe where once they just waived us through. The second time, they looked around a bit.

The second checkpoint was between our campsite and town so we went through it numerous times. Mostly the exchange was friendly. It helped to be able to speak Spanish that they could understand.

As long as you are acquiese to their inquiries and have nothing to hide, all is fine.

Roger
On the road!
Old 11-10-2004, 05:05 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Great to hear there were no problems. I have heard many bad tales, especially about those check points inside Baja. Did you guys stick together on the road and pass the checkpoints together? I've been told it helps to travel in groups. Plus have that good attitude. And a little fresh food to give away.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:28 PM   #56
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Great to hear there were no problems. I have heard many bad tales, especially about those check points inside Baja. Did you guys stick together on the road and pass the checkpoints together? I've been told it helps to travel in groups. Plus have that good attitude. And a little fresh food to give away.
The checkpoints are there for the traveler's protection, and to slow drug trafficking to US. Our very own justice dept and DEA are financing teh checkpoints.
I have been through approximately 100 of them in the last 10 years or so, perhaps even more. Never did I have a problem, not alone, not in groups, never. The biggest issue in Baja is traffic safety. Sometimes the locals drive very slow and easy, and Americans drive way too fast, taking chances on passing etc. You got to get into a mellow mood, and go with the flow. And, it helps not to bring illegal drugs and and/or weapons of any kind.
We give water bottles to the soldiers when it's hot outside, out of kindness, and after they're done checking, not because we're bribing for speedy checkups. The soldiers are always appreciative and hopefully in an even easier mood for the next "customer".
We have given food to them in the past, but only things we'd loose at teh border anyways. There is no need to give them anything at all.
We've encountered a Patrol in the middle of the desert south of Mexicali once, on a 4wd trip to teh hot springs at Guadalupe Canyon. we wer going south through a little sandy trail. The head of the Patrol gave us fuel for free, making sure we get out at the other end and across the dry salt lake without running out, even though we had plenty.
So, I do not believe that tehre is any danger from the authorities on the east side of Baja.
I think most of the horror stories come out of crime ridden Tujuana etc.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:33 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Upland , California
Smile Would love to join the caravan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Most likely March 2005. Mark your calendars.

In the fall of 2005 I might venture to Bahia de Los Angeles, bring the Zodiac and go whale chasing...ahm,watching.
Although it hasn't arrived yet our new trailer should be here this month (january) and if there is still room on the caravan my wife and I would love to join a trip to Baja. I've been going to baja since I was a kid and have been as far as Guerrero Negro to see the whales. I've always visited Baja in a tent though and would love to make a trip there in an AS.
Kestrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 01:01 PM   #58
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrell
Although it hasn't arrived yet our new trailer should be here this month (january) and if there is still room on the caravan my wife and I would love to join a trip to Baja. I've been going to baja since I was a kid and have been as far as Guerrero Negro to see the whales. I've always visited Baja in a tent though and would love to make a trip there in an AS.
Absolutely! The St. Filipe trip is usually in March. We would love to have you join us.
AIR #189

Old 01-03-2005, 03:37 PM   #59
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Loos like it's time to start the "March 2005 - Baja Trip" thread already.