Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Hey GT1963 & BENJISGAL! Thanks for the wise words and helpful advice. I can use as much of that stuff as possible!!! I can't wait to hit the road and meet up with fellow Streamers or other adventurous travelers! So anymore talk on when and where? Well, I'll see you later. Take care and have a great week!
Carlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht
Clovis , California
I would love to come if you let AS MH's in. However, I will be at the Forum's rally at the Wilds in Ohio the end of Aug so that time is out for me.
LuvRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I am glad there is so much interest in our rally. Now if I just don't blow it in the details I'd say we will have one heck of a gathering in the making...

Submitted for your perusal and consideration is a destination in the most North Eastern point of lower Michigan in the harbor town of Port Sanilac along the shores of Lake Huron. If it seems like a good place to you then I will call and speak to the campground and we need to be narrowing down a date or several. I am leaning towards the interval between mid July to Mid August. I would like to include everyone's availability if possible. Please chime in and help us make it for the right place and time to suit you. If we have conflicts of time constraints or distance we will have to change the plans accordingly and/or vote for each time slot or park.

http://www.campingfriend.com/LakeHur...urce=wildernet

http://www.portsanilac.net/

Lake Huron Campground is located in Port Sanilac, Michigan along the scenic shores of Lake Huron. Construction was completed in 2006 and opened in May 2007! Make your reservations today to spend a relaxing weekend or the entire season in a campground that allows campers to fully enjoy the great Michigan outdoors. You'll find friendly and courteous staff, plenty of activities and immediate access to a spring-fed lake. The campground is seasonal, so ensure your spot on one of the beautiful lake front sites or in a cozy rental cabin.

Located on Lake Huron, the campground offers a variety of water activities. You may choose to swim in the heated pool or cool off in the refreshing lake. There are also water rentals available featuring canoes, kayaks, paddle boats, and row boats. Take a picnic out to the middle of the lake and have lunch, otter-style. You will appreciate the impressive size of the lake as you fish for smallmouth and largemouth bass, as well as, walleye, pike, and panfish. Land-lovers can rent a golf cart for the weekend and view the campground and nature trails riding in style. In addition to the ample opportunities to enjoy the water at Lake Huron Campground, you are welcome to hike the 1.5 mile nature trail around the lake and stop at the bird watching area to see native Michigan birds. Join the scheduled crafts or games in the recreation hall, enjoy a midday meal outside in the picnic shelters, or get to know your fellow campers in the clubhouse. Take pleasure in a beautiful Michigan sunset with a tall glass of iced tea on our outdoor patio. The possibilities are endless and the memories will last a lifetime.

Once your settled in and have had a chance to enjoy the campground, try exploring the surrounding area. Take a drive down the historic coast of Lake Huron and stop at the picturesque villages of Port Sanilac and Deckerville along the way. They are far from the hustle and bustle of city life. Sit back and relax, watch sailboats and amazing freighters, visit an ancient peat bog, and shop & dine all in one spot. You'll find that Lake Huron Campground is a unique and exceptional campground. Bring your tents, RVs, campers and family.

Click image for larger version

Name:	home1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	131986

Name:	Port.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	131987

And if that is not enough travel to content you then you might also want to piggyback onto the rally before or afterwards, a Lake Huron Circle Tour leading you into exploring Canada.

Name:	huron_mapLG.gif
Views:	119
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	131988

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvRVing View Post
I would love to come if you let AS MH's in. However, I will be at the Forum's rally at the Wilds in Ohio the end of Aug so that time is out for me.
You bettcha we let AS MH's in! Perhaps you could go from Michigan to Ohio if the timing is right. If I could I would be following you on over. The Wilds sounds like a fantastic event and opportunity.

Cari, from Oregon (my dog Orie is from a rally I atttended in Oregon,) Brock from Pennsylvania, Pink Trailer and friends from Vermont, when can you come to Michigan? Benjisgal going to Alaska from Georgia, what a great adventure for you! Brock and Cari are first tows too, all so exciting. Think of the stories we will have to tell each other.

photography
Old 06-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Hi Carol! The place you mentioned works for me. As far as when, I'm newly retired so I can go anytime after July 9th. I'm so excited to get to meet all of you and bake & shake this rally!!!!! I do have a question about traveling. What's a decent, leisurely pace for driving each day? I'm going to give myself as many days as possible to get to Michigan but don't want to push it are hard. What are your thoughts? Thanks!!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #26

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Thumbs up Girls Forum

I would b interested let me kno date an location, Bev
B.Plummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
That's super Carlita. When I travel I allow myself 6-8 hour driving days and chart it by mileage and that is the maximum time of my estimated time of arrival unless I would want to factor in an extra stopover or more, either spontaneous or scheduled into the itinerary. How it usually works out for me is that I drive much longer than that on high energy days, just because I am enjoying being on the road and driving. Then I nap and begin again. I find I always arrive ahead of schedule or have time to delay if desired with that calculation. If I were to schedule regular nightly stops I would choose several at various distances, perhaps calling ahead enroute but not necessarily making any reservations in advance of that. I have called several parks for directions and availability but I don't usually make reservations and thereby I keep my options open to change itinerary as my energy, road conditions, curiosity or fancy dictates.

I am sure we all have our different preferences and hop others will share their style. I know of one fulltimer that says she drives only in the mornings and only a maximum of 200 miles.

Hi Bev, hooray! We DO need to nail this down. I called the Lake Huron Campground and availability was said not to be a problem nor keeping us together since they hare a very large campground. 10 units or more qualify for a 10 precent discount.

I also looked into and am still wondering if Port Crescent would be a nice alternative. On the tip of the thumb in Port Austin, it is beautiful and a more rustic and natural setting but weekends in July and August may be problematic to reserve for at this time. Another alternative is we could use a local private campgrounds with a group area and have a more private space for our gathering, such as Apple Creek in Grass Lake where we have rallied before having our own area in a rural campground with a wooded setting. I was also in caontact with the campground there today and it seems very doable depending upon what weekend we choose. There is Walnut Hills. And the area near Frankenmuth is a possibility. If we go further than I think Hardwick Pines in Grayling is a wonderful park for a rally with a nice blend of nature and nicely paved roads and pads with a short hike through woods to water.

Apple Creek Campground & RV Park
WALNUT HILLS FAMILY CAMPING RESORT in Durand, Michigan Rates Page
Hartwick Pines State Park

Nice large campground at Lake Huron Campground with private lake, public beachs on Huron 3 and 5 miles away.

Name:	maplh.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	132020

photography
Old 06-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Let me post the map larger. Click until it opens in another window and click until it is displayed at 100%. You can see there are plenty of various areas and different levels of hook ups and premium paved sites as well if you so choose (yellow sites the others are grass.) There are pull throughs and back up sites. We could ask to be put together in a block or request our choices and trek about. I am going to go out on a limb and start with a date. If you prefer another please post that date and we will see what the responses are and go from there. I am also flexible but I will need to give notice in advance.

I pick the weekend of Friday August 13 and Saturday August 14, with optional early arrival on Wednesday August 10 through Sunday night extension, leaving on Monday for the hanger oners. This is just to get the ball rolling. Comments?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2008MAP.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	132038  

photography
Old 06-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #29
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
I would love to join the PJ Party. Took my first solo trip to Alumapalooza 2011 and had a wonderful time. I saw the previous posts relative to the PJ Rally and folks were thinking about Michigan. There are two BEAUTIFUL state parks I can recommend. 1st is Petoskey State Park which has a sand dune beach and big sites. The Petoskey/Harbor Springs area is full of niche restaurants, unique upscale gift shops, and artwork. It is the Rodeo Drive of the North (well, kinda). The other suggestion I have is in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It is the Tahquamenon Falls State Park in Paradise, MI. The falls are huge and picturesque. Not as much city-side, but full of nature. Note: The Petoskey KOA was rated the best KOA in the U.S. recently. I was just there and it has a heated pool, hot tub, and group cookout covered porch area.

I would love to tag along and follow you girls anywhere, anytime. I'm in LOVE with my Airstream. I've got a trip planned from August 21-27 to fish in Canada but other than that, I can join you if the dates work out.

Thanks for organizing this event and for welcoming those of us on the fly. Kelly in Grand Blanc, MI

Mellen60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up

Hi Kelly, we are neighbors, nice to have another silver sister with us! Taquamenon Falls is one of our favorite places. We usually stay at Rivermouth rustic campground near Paradise, head for the falls, the brewery, and the ship wreck museum and Lake Superior. I love the UP. We usually go in the fall when the leaves are turning.
river_bend Photo Gallery by caroljb at pbase.com

Tahquamenon Falls State Park - Paradise Cabins & Cottages, Campgrounds, Cross Country Skiing, Hiking & Backpacking, Nature & Parks, Snowmobile - Pure Michigan Travel

But we have never been to Traverse City or Petrosky and have heard it is wonderful. We have been to Ludington and Sleeping Bear Dunes on the West side and taken the ferry across to Wisconsin with the Airstream.

C'mon gals weigh in on your preferences. Once decided we can begin to make our reservations and finalize the details.

photography
Old 06-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Hey Carol. I'm game for Friday the 12th thru Sunday the 14th. I will probably come early and stay late too. As for where, I'm up to whatever you gals choose. Thanks again for getting this going. I can't wait!! Take care and have a great day! ~Cari~
Old 06-09-2011, 01:30 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Hey Kelly! How neat you got to go to Alumapalooza! I've read a few posts from others that went and they said it was great, too. I hope to go next year! Looks like you have a 16' Bambi, just like me. What a kick, huh?! Can't wait to get out there on the open road and hang out with some fun wild women!! Take care and I'll be seeing ya, soon I hope! ~Cari~
Old 06-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Sorry - been tied up this week taking my Security Guard License. The last two days here at home we have been without power - still without power and then are now saying about 4:00 tomorrow sometime ha - wide spread power outages through Ontario from that huge storm that just blasted through here.

All the campground suggestions sound great to me - heck any campground with Silver Sisters would be just fine.

As for the date - right now I have absolutely nothing planned - but I do have to consider possible college placements for volunteer opportunities and any jobs I can find as my priority - so I will leave my confirmation that if I am free and I have the funds to drag my AS then I will be there. I will ear mark the date and try my best to plan around it.

Hi there fellow Ontarian (Bev) maybe if things work out I could hook up with you just on this side of the Border and cross over together if you wish? But once again I can't confirm that until closer to the date.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:34 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Mellen60 - where are you headed for fishing in Canada?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Carlita - re your question of long distance traveling.

I am somewhat like Carol - because I love to drive - I can sometimes run way into the late hours of the night - I know I shouldn't with safety and all - but it all depends on the type of trip I am doing. If I am unfamiliar with my drive I usually drive from about 11:00 am to 4:00 pm - About two hours out of my final run time I will check out campgrounds and possible stop overs - I too do not reserve just show up - but will call to see how busy they are.

My regular 1000 mile run I will usually make it to PA Hershy area and stay at a truck stop to save money (But when I run it in the winter I stay in a hotel so that I don't become a human popsicle!! - then I usually run to Dannies in NC. From there I will leave around 9:00 in the morning to make my camp in Charleston for check in around 2:00 in the afternoon.

Sometimes on the long runs I will do two days of driving and then take a day just to relax see the sights and give my body some stand up time. Catch up on the goings on - stock up on food - do my maintenance checks, grease up and lubricate tee hee - including some elbow bending time....

Because you are solo, it is so much nicer, you can stop or go whenever you like. If you are ahead of schedule you can take your time - if running behind you can do the longer hours - just don't stress yourself out. If you are going to drive long hours just make sure you stop every 3 hours minimum - to stretch and hydrate lots to avoid clots - VERY IMPORTANT!!!! When I travel with my girls I stop every 2.5 hours - I try to time it with gas stops but that does not always work.

I really hope that my schedule what ever it may be will allow me to meet up with you all.

I have driven along that side of MI and it is a really nice drive - with aquamarine blue waters all the way along the shore.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Olympia , WA
Hey Ladybug! Thanks for the tips and advice. It all makes sense and will definitely help me with my trip. I hope that you and all the others can make it too. I would love to meet everyone. If not in August, maybe on my way back home. Ya never know!! Take care and have a wonderful Friday and weekend! ~Cari~
Old 06-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #37
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Hi Carlita, Carol, and everyone...
Thanks for the welcome and I'm so glad to find others who have supportive families for all their crazy hobbies. Although now I'm on the brink of a crazy LIFESTYLE! I can do the 12th to the 14th in August as well. I have three grown children and a hubby who works a lot so at this stage of the game, I figure if I don't get out and grab ahold of life and all the things I want to do and see, it will just pass me by.

I am going to Hawk Lake Lodge in Ontario (without my AS) to slay some smallmouth bass and trophy walley. Fishing, like 'Streaming is a disease! Ontario Smallmouth Bass Fishing Walleye Fishing Hawk Lake Lodge My mom is meeting me there from Chicago and we girls are gonna teach all those guys how it is done. Mom is 66 and I'm 50...when I was a little girl we used to talk about how we'd be two old hens together! Life is good.

I'm happy going to the thumb area for sure. I've never been and it is close. Whatever everyone decides is fine with me. Looking forward to campfires, coldcuts, and coffee with my new "clutch".

Kelly
Old 06-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Terrific! I will get this on the rally calendar asap. Also I will probably be going earlier and/or staying longer. Please post when you expect to arrive and if you are planning on staying longer so others may join in. I'm off to work but will post again shortly. I am so psyched to be meeting new Airstreaming women and gathering again with old friends. I am off to work but will post again shortly.

Michigan Camping and Campgrounds - RV Resort - RV Camping

Friday August 12, Saturday August 13, Sunday August 14

Lake Huron Campground
2353 N. Lakeshore Road (M-25)
Port Sanilac, Michigan 48419

Toll free: 866-360-CAMP(2267) Local: 810-622-0110

photography
Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #39
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Just made my reservation at Lake Huron Campground for Thursday, August 11 through Sunday, August 14. I picked a lake side lot and requested that they try and put all the Airstreams together as the reservations come in. Looks like a great campground and I love that they serve hot pizza in a little pizza kitchen right there! Looking forward to meeting everyone and sharing a story or two around a campfire. Kelly
Old 06-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellen60 View Post
Just made my reservation at Lake Huron Campground for Thursday, August 11 through Sunday, August 14. I picked a lake side lot and requested that they try and put all the Airstreams together as the reservations come in. Looks like a great campground and I love that they serve hot pizza in a little pizza kitchen right there! Looking forward to meeting everyone and sharing a story or two around a campfire. Kelly

Can you post what your site number is so that others can then reserve close by.

Also do you have to pay the whole amount or just one night to reserve? I have figured out the cancellation policy. Save me a long distance phone call - besides I have no spare change right now but will book as soon as I do - and then keep my fingers crossed that I don't have to cancel.

Thanks - Kelly....