Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee View Post
face lift??? hahaha that lava beds campground hasn't been touched since the CCC built it in the 30s. really. same picnic tables and everything else. it's stuck in time. love it!

dee- do you boon dock at manzanita lake when at lassen? or somewhere with hookups? i use to love camping in lassen when i was tenting.

lassen/lava beds rally sounds great. let's plan it!
Hehehehe....can you tell it's been 30 years since I stayed at Lavabeds?

This year was the first year we have stayed at Manzanita Lake....and, only because they were re-paving Summit Lake and Crags Campgrounds, where we usually stay. My impression was that Manzanita Lake was too crowded....but, it was actually less crowded than Summit Lake has been the last few times we stayed there! And, yeah, we boondock....we can go about 10-12 days. Remember....we have solar panels, so we still have electricity. We usually fill the gray water tank up first, and we decided that we will start washing dishes outside in order to save water for showers . And, there IS a dump station at Manzanita Lake!

Dan....you need to get a solar set-up....then, you could have all the comforts of life, no matter where you go! We normally have satellite TV hooked up, too; but, this year, we brought along the HD receiver, and it's LOTS harder to bring in the satellite signal....just something else for Paul to work on at home.

There are some RV resorts outside the park with hook-ups. The only times we have stayed at places with hook-ups have been at Anza-Borrego State Park and the places we have gone with you guys for AirForums Rallies. Maybe we should do a demo of boondocking at the next outing...

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalview View Post
Dan, we always bood dock at Manzanita lake while at Lassen, I'm sure Dee does too. The place never changes just like the Lava beds.
Jeff
WRONG!!!!! They were planning to re-pave Manzanita Lake Campground shortly after we left....along with adding some tent cabins between the store and the lake. Many of the old tables have been replaced with fiberglass tables, and they added bear-proof lockers in all the campsites several years ago. The camp host told us that many of the parking sites at Manzanita Lake were likely going to be enlarged to fit bigger RV's....

National Parks is celebrating their 100th anniversary soon, and they are trying to spiff the place up for that event. They have spent the past 2-3 years re-paving the road that goes through Lassen and making it wider, with more turn-outs. I guess the campground/cabins project is the last thing on the list.

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
One more thing about Lassen....

Another reason we never stayed at Manzanita Lake was that they had a horrible bear problem there....LOTS of car break-ins by bears....not the way I would want to end my vacation! The addition of bear lockers, heavy enforcement by the rangers (just like Yosemite, you cannot leave food out or visible where a bear can get to it, even during the day), and possibly (I am guessing here) re-location of problem bears....and, it has pretty much solved the problem!

We have seen bears while driving/hiking the last two years, and they were nowhere near the campgrounds and seemed to be behaving like wild bears should.

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-13-2008, 12:48 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
Another reason we never stayed at Manzanita Lake was that they had a horrible bear problem there....LOTS of car break-ins by bears....not the way I would want to end my vacation! The addition of bear lockers, heavy enforcement by the rangers (just like Yosemite, you cannot leave food out or visible where a bear can get to it, even during the day), and possibly (I am guessing here) re-location of problem bears....and, it has pretty much solved the problem!

We have seen bears while driving/hiking the last two years, and they were nowhere near the campgrounds and seemed to be behaving like wild bears should.
Bears.....oh. When my family was young we spent several summer vacations at Lassen. Just loved it! Last time was 25 years ago. I don't remember a bear problem then other than the usual precautions. I guess taking a convertible would not be a good idea. Come to think of it it will be needing a new top soon. Maybe NEXT year.....
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Bears.....oh. When my family was young we spent several summer vacations at Lassen. Just loved it! Last time was 25 years ago. I don't remember a bear problem then other than the usual precautions. I guess taking a convertible would not be a good idea. Come to think of it it will be needing a new top soon. Maybe NEXT year.....
Neil.
Hi Neil,

When they were having the bear "problem" at Manzanita Lake Campground, the offenders were actually peeling the doors and windows open on vehicles to get to things left inside....even empty ice chests were targets. It was not uncommon for bears to wander through the campground at that time, as well...patrolling for food, no doubt. This was only a problem at Manzanita Lake, at the far north entrance to the park; if you stayed at our favorite campground, Summit Lake, there was never a problem, as far as I know. I was camped at Summit Lake when they installed the bear-proof lockers and garbage cans there, in ~2004. The bear-proof lockers at Manzanita Lake appear to be a previous generation, judging by the locking/unlocking mechanism.

Lassen Volcanic National Park seems to be one of the last places that contains healthy populations of many threatened species; but, amazingly, the bears (which are common and are even a regulated/hunted species) there have never been studied! Supposedly, a university outside of California was hoping to do a study of the bears. I was wondering why one of out California schools wasn't involved...but, that's just me!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
dee- how 'bout gurnsey creek campground just outside lassen park on hwy 89, ever stay there?? i love this campground because it is always empty, is spread out in the forest and is close to the entrance. maybe we could boon dock a couple nights here and then caravan to lava beds for a few nights. hmmmm...

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
I have never stayed there, Dan, but I trust your judgement....afterall, if YOUR trailer fits, so will ours!

What??? No drag race up Hwy 44? THAT road separates the 8.1L's from the 6.0L's....it's the only road I have found that my 8.1 complains somewhat. However, in all fairness, it's usually during August, 90-100-degreesF leaving Redding, and we have the AC going.

Another nice campground, if you have never stayed there is the one at McArthur-Burney Falls State Park. A few years back, they did a complete re-do on that campground, putting in lots of huge, 30' Airstream-sized spaces and small cabins. It's somewhat further north, and I believe it's hard to get into on week-ends unless you have reservations. It attracts a boating crowd, which may be why it fills up. We usually make a day trip over from Lassen to do the loop hike around the falls.

What is your intent? We could all meet at the place you like in Redding, then caravan to the Eagle's Nest (Roost?) campground. If you advertise early enough, maybe some Oregon AirForums folks might join us, too!

I am glad you are thinking about this now....time for planning!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Hey Dee, Thanks for the update about Manzanita Lake campground. I would have never thought they would find the funds to repave given they have their pot of gold stashed for the new visitor center on the otherside.

It's never to early to plan a rally in this area, we plain love it there!
Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Quote:
Hey Dee, Thanks for the update about Manzanita Lake campground. I would have never thought they would find the funds to repave given they have their pot of gold stashed for the new visitor center on the otherside.

It's never to early to plan a rally in this area, we plain love it there!
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

If you want to camp at Manzanita Lake, your really need to do some planning.... There are 4 campground loops: one is for tents only ("D" loop), two are for reserved sites ("A" and "C" loops), and one is first come/first served sites. We have found, that, if you plan to arrive mid-week, you can usually find a site (knock on wood....). With all this campground repaving, all this might change, of course.... If you know when you are going to arrive, you can always go the reservation route.

Since you have Colin, I would really recommend staying at Manzanita Lake, especially over the week-end, since that is where most of the interpretive activities happen, and he is just the right age for all that. The problem is that most of the hiking trails are quite a drive from there.

There IS also Lost Creek Group Camp at Lassen....Crags campground, where we have stayed a couple times, is right next to it. Judging by the vehicles that I have seen parked in there, there must be room for trailers the size of ours. If we had enough interest, THAT is an option....although it's not as scenic as Summit Lake and Manzanita Lake.

One more thing.... We have taken to going in and out via the North Entrance, since the dump station is there....AND, because we were almost turned back at the South Entrance one year when we had our previous 29' SOB trailer....thankfully, the park person knew rules, but she didn't have a tape measure , She claimed that there is a 40' vehicle length restriction (of course, trying to explain that the AS and the TV are separate vehicles just confused her). I think the point of the rule was to keep commercial trucks out!

We love it there, too!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
$$$$ being spent at Lassen

Quote:
I would have never thought they would find the funds to repave given they have their pot of gold stashed for the new visitor center...
I think that new visitor center at the South Entrance will be open next summer.... They were also doing a "face-lift" on the Loomis Museum (at the North Entrance) in 2007...just the exterior. I am not sure where all these $$$$ are coming from, but many things have been neglected for some years....including the interpretive programs!!! 2007 was the first time they held campfire shows at Summit Lake (where there are 90-100 camp sites!) on week-ends in several years. The only nature walks being held there were bird walks conducted by a birder friend of mine (who they asked to come a give the walks but still charged him for camping!). There is such a short summer season there that it has taken 3 years for the contactors to complete the road re-paving project!

Lassen is one of my favorite places....don't get me started!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Dee, Every July until 2006 you could find us at Manzanita lake campground space A45.
The past two summers have taken us elseware so we are due a visit back.
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Summer Vacation Trip 2006 087.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	67366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Summer Vacation Trip 2006 080.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	581.2 KB
ID:	67367  

Name:	Summer Vacation Trip 2006 076.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	67368  
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:53 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
August '09 Cararally

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5 View Post
I have never stayed there, Dan, but I trust your judgement....afterall, if YOUR trailer fits, so will ours!

What??? No drag race up Hwy 44? THAT road separates the 8.1L's from the 6.0L's....it's the only road I have found that my 8.1 complains somewhat. However, in all fairness, it's usually during August, 90-100-degreesF leaving Redding, and we have the AC going.

Another nice campground, if you have never stayed there is the one at McArthur-Burney Falls State Park. A few years back, they did a complete re-do on that campground, putting in lots of huge, 30' Airstream-sized spaces and small cabins. It's somewhat further north, and I believe it's hard to get into on week-ends unless you have reservations. It attracts a boating crowd, which may be why it fills up. We usually make a day trip over from Lassen to do the loop hike around the falls.

What is your intent? We could all meet at the place you like in Redding, then caravan to the Eagle's Nest (Roost?) campground. If you advertise early enough, maybe some Oregon AirForums folks might join us, too!

I am glad you are thinking about this now....time for planning!
burney falls was too HOT when i was there. i guess it's not as high as gurnsey and crags. my thinking is that we can't depend on first-come, first-serve campgrounds (crags) for a rally as who knows how many sites would be available. if we choose a popular spot like manzanita lake, reservations fill early which will keep people from coming.

i like the idea of lost creek group campground. dee- was it nice? it only costs $45 a night for 8 sites. what about the road repaving, dee??? would we be subject to delays trying to get to/from lost creek? is it a big deal?

at gurnsey, we could also reserve a 7 site group area for $40 a night. it has 60 foot long sites. it's also close enough to go to lake almanor and chester for supplies.

my intent is to make it a cararally. 2 days (Aug 5-6) at lassen like lost creek, then caravan to eagle's nest for 2 days (Aug 7-8). Aug 5-8 works the best for me but i also could do the next weekend if thats better for anyone. so who's down for an august cararally??? sounds like sooo much fun!

Come rally with us.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Dee, Every July until 2006 you could find us at Manzanita lake campground space A45.
The past two summers have taken us elseware so we are due a visit back.
Jeff
great pics jeff!!! i remember LOVE seeing that wall of snow after the furnace of the valley. wouldn't collin have fun doing both lassen and lava beds? can august work for you???

Come rally with us.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Yippeeeeeee.....a Lassen/Lavabeds Cararally!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee View Post
i like the idea of lost creek group campground. dee- was it nice? it only costs $45 a night for 8 sites. what about the road repaving, dee??? would we be subject to delays trying to get to/from lost creek? is it a big deal?

at gurnsey, we could also reserve a 7 site group area for $40 a night. it has 60 foot long sites. it's also close enough to go to lake almanor and chester for supplies.

my intent is to make it a cararally. 2 days (Aug 5-6) at lassen like lost creek, then caravan to eagle's nest for 2 days (Aug 7-8). Aug 5-8 works the best for me but i also could do the next weekend if thats better for anyone. so who's down for an august cararally??? sounds like sooo much fun!
I am thinking it's kind of a long drive into Lost Creek for just two nights. It's an okay camp, but no creek or lake nearby.....not even trails. The road repaving should be done....at least that was what I was told this past summer (like I mentioned...they spent the past 3 years on this project!). We didn't mind the hold-ups, but Paul was glad we weren't towing the Airstream over the oil they were spreading.

So, maybe Gurnsey Creek would be better....it's not a long drive in to Lassen from there, and the new visitor center might be open. Some of the more popular trails are at that end, too, like Bumpass Hell trail and the trail to Mill Creek Falls. Drakesbad is also close to that area....a portion of Lassen I have never investigated. And, Almanor is nearby, too! And.....it IS close to Chester.....where there is a great little old-fashioned ice cream place....and other supplies.

Sign me up for this one!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 09-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Quote:
Jeff....we did the same thing when our two boys were that age (early 1990's)....a couple times, we were the first campers at Summit Lake (south end), and we had to drive over snow to get to our camp site!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Michael & Kevin, buddies playing at Summit Lake campsite, Lassen Volcanic NP, SHA Co., CA.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	580.8 KB
ID:	67379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kevin & Michael, along trail to Bumpass Hell, Lassen Volcanic NP, SHA Co., CA.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	67380  

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU