Paso Robles 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2005, 05:48 PM   #15
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
I voted Pismp as well- mainly because we can stage the First Annual NorCal vs. SoCal Airstream Beach Drag Races. SoCal Rules! Get your rockguards installed!

AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:35 PM   #16
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
I voted Pismp as well- mainly because we can stage the First Annual NorCal vs. SoCal Airstream Beach Drag Races. SoCal Rules! Get your rockguards installed!
Yeah, with mountain bikes hitched to the trailers, almost like in the vintage ads........

Old 04-18-2005, 03:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Posting from Pismo Coast Village!

It seems like PCV will win the poll handily at this point. Well, I am here now and it is a fun place, no doubt about it. It is hopping and busy. My only complaint would be the narrow sites but it really won't matter for the rally as it is fun to be close to each other. I just hope they can get us together. I will talk to the office tomorrow about the chances that we can be all together. I checked out El Chorro, also. It is a real campground on rolling hills with Oak trees. It reminded me very much of Laguna Seca.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Thumbs up Report From PCV!

Okay, here's the deal. Talked to the office here at Pismo Coast Village (PCV) and have set aside the only 15 sites avialable together for October 7-9. The nice girl would not tell me what sites they were at first but I later got it that they were all in a row towards the back against the chain-link fence that borders the state park next door. Which means there is no grass. Ideally I would have liked to go back to back up a row with the grass strip in between and steps to beach access. If we wanted to wait till spring, we could get such an arrangement. Need to really make group reservations 12 months ahead to get the good sites at PCV.

So should we go ahead with the fifteen sites at PCV as is or change it to April 2006 and choose another campground for October 7-9? Everybody please chime in. I'll post some pics of the sites tomorrow.

Come rally with us.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Question Just wondering,

what is the Southern border of NorCal?
Old 04-22-2005, 03:03 AM   #20
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Pcv

Those sites are a bit depressing, but the campground is still a nice place to stay.
I am fine with either one of the others, or the available sites at PCV.

guy99:

I believe that most people would assume that the southernmost acre of NorCal would be somewhere along the Monterey County Line.
Pismo Beach/San Luis Obispo/Paso Robles are considered the heart of the Central Coast.
Southern California starts somewhere between Santa Barbara and Los Angeles, as far as I can tell. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Uwe,
Thanks. Having been borne in San Francisco, lived in Davis for 30+years, and currently living 70 miles from the Oregon border it seemed funny to me to consider anything south of Big Sur as 'NorCal'.

Just goes to show, it's all a matter of your point of view.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
If my memory serves me correctly, years back, when the state of California considered spliting the state, Monterey County was to be considered southern California, with a diangonal line across the state to the east. Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:59 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
My 2 cents.

I live in Central California. I consider south of the grapevine, Southern California. I think my Northern California cutoff is north of Sacramento.

I have lived all through this state (Palos Verdes, Thousand Oaks, La Mesa, Redding, Chico, Millbrae, Visalia).

However, I read the question to be: How far south can you be to attend a 'NorCal' rally. We did the last one, but we were the furthest south.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Firmly undecided...

Big Dee...

I'm highly conflicted between making Pismo the Spring 2006 event and having lovely sites, or going down in Oct and being in low glamor section... I'm motivated by water and ocean, more than golf or hiking or ??, so I'd vote for Morro Dunes as alternate, though it'd be nice if they had hot tub.. Might Lake San Antonio work as option, closer to San Jose? We'd be fine with Sonora/Columbia/Foothills or Sacramento Delta for Fall, and Pismo for Spring of '06, if Uwe can wait on us for another 12 months...

Ready to stand by and see who else has stronger feelings or opinions.. Paso didn't get much of a response, and San Luis is also pretty inland and dry during late fall...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:27 PM   #25
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
I would hate to spoil a great time for the Norcal members on my behalf - seriously. If Northern California locations suit the majority of the Rallyers better, then please go ahead and make plans for a different location altogether. Not many Southern California members have chimed in thus far anyways.
I do believe that Lake San Antonio is a faboulous alternative, so long that it does not fall into school vacation. I have camped there, and found the sites very comfortable, although quite dusty. We had deer come right up and nose around our trailer at the Lake San Antonio full hookup sites.
All things considered, I find the beach preferable.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:00 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Pope Valley , California
Big Dee,

I don't have a strong opinion about where we go. It's the people that count, but I do think it would add to the experience to be in the nicest place possible. I'll trust you to make the best choice.

Cam
Old 04-22-2005, 10:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Fall Rally...

Big Dee and the group,

A couple of thoughts.... Since this is just a week-end rally, and with the price of gas soaring, maybe holding it further north makes more sense....unless, of course we want to hold a week-long rally!

btw....I am scheduling NOTHING in October, just to make sure we have no conflicts. My 10 days in Anza-Borrego were fantastic, but I did think about you guys and all the fun you were having!

Dee2

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 04-23-2005, 02:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Arrow Home from PCV

Thanks for the input all. I've thought a lot about the whole thing and this is what I have come to unless anybody objects:

1) Let's save PCV for April 2006 and do it right. The bobbed-wire chain-link fence sites near Hwy 1 really ain't the best situation. I'll make the reservations next month which will be 12 months exactly. That should give us a good chance of getting the good sites with grass near the beach gate. Uwe is right, this is a fun place. Let's do it right.

2) I think Lake San Antonio would be a great alternative for October. Easy to get a group of sites together there. Easy reservations. Save an hour of driving. I think Morro Bay/El Chorro are out because they are too close to Pismo since we will be at PCV in the Spring.

Let me know what you all think. Who knows what campgrounds are better at San Antonio? North shore or south shore? Opinions, please.

BTW, the conventional wisdom that I grew up with was that the border between Northern and Southern Cal is San Lius Obispo. It's a cultural dividing line. (And everyone knows the real Cal culture is up here) Thus the area is a good meeting point between NorCal & SoCal members.

Come rally with us.