October 27-29 2 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2006, 08:32 PM   #379
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crkwolf
So I jumped up and fled forward, with my genuine Airstream cap on and I can't see, and proceeded to run into the awning head first. Apparently while I was trying to knock myself out on the awning support the tarantula was walking underneath the chair I was sitting on. Of course my husband just shook his head and said, "you didn't need to run, it wasn't that close, if it was I would have said something".
See what happens when you wake up so early?

Old 10-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #380
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Out in the middle of nowhere , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowolf
See what happens when you wake up so early?
No kidding, and hadn't finished my coffee yet either. But I was wide awake then, with a headache and a little dazed. Didn't realize I hit it that hard, yea but the spider who eventually crawled up a tree didn't get me.

Sheesh I know my fears may be irrational, but the irrational has won over the rational for this round. I should have stayed in bed longer, I agree.

crkwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #381
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
we were camping with the deer and turkeys... and there was wildlife also... kevbo
Some of the wildlife says thanks for the FFA bracelet...it's far superior to glowsticks, doesn't lose it's glow and gets her in for free at the Midstate Fair.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:34 PM   #382
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Rally reaction

That was really fun. I had an especially warm fuzzy moment during the movie, watching kids and couples and singles and dogs cuddling up and watching in the quiet evening. And it wasn't my margarita talkin' either!

We discussed trailer remodel strategy on the way home, and ya know, that shell-removal party just might be the ticket to getting over the structural and time hurdles we've run into on our beloved SVRTWKY. I'm going to get that front window in (believe me you'll know when that's done), and then we start thinking about tanks/belly pan/frame bracing for the slight sag problem. I appreciate the encouragement and support, and the good natured ribbing, it all keeps me motivated.

The conversation turned to the rally, and husband said "You have a way of surrounding yourself with good people."

And so there you go!

Thanks Big Dee and all...we're planning on coming surrounded by aluminum next time. Try at least.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:38 PM   #383
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
We are home also ,wish we had more time to ralley and enjoy all who were there .My family and I had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone we could ,makes being on here that much more fun. The potluck and sitting down to dine with all of you folks was a very good time .What I found out was what a great bunch of people are on the forum here and we are looking forward to the next forum ralley and other ralleys as well .

Sincerely thanks for the good time ,the food ,the conversation with you all .

Scottanlily

Scottanlily
Old 10-22-2006, 11:31 PM   #384
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Ah, Ricky! I love my trailer!

We took a chance and drove home over the foggy Golden Gate Bridge. No problem and no toll going North! Good thing Mark was driving though, I held my breath as we were crossing.

At Casini Ranch crowing roosters awakened us. At Pismo Beach it was the annoying squalls of Seagulls, but you certainly can’t beat the wild turkeys at Lake San Antonio! Perhaps we should have a rally right before Thanksgiving? There were also some handsome bucks roaming between the aluminum that gave one pause…hmmmm.

All in all, it was too short a time! We arrived Thursday evening and were welcomed by the gregarious 7-foot tall cowboy, a.k.a. as Kevbo. His magnanimous personality was slightly overshadowed by the extreme decorating of his trailer. Talk about coveting thy neighbor’s green, black and orange Melamine service for eight, with matching vintage linens! Dude!

Also, this is on the “down –low” (shhhh), but there is a certain guy of Greek extraction that can make a French fry fly several hundred feet in the air, but I’m NOT saying who it is, only that he also claims to have had the longest trailer at the rally! The sheriff (I think it was deputy Barney Fife) raced up here an hour and half after SPUD [NIC] had launched and I thought, “how nice, they’re patrolling for hooligans”.

But seriously, new and vintage Aluminum trailers; nestled between the live oak trees- it doesn’t get better than that! Grown-ups chatting-it-up, kids running around looking for tarantulas and roasting marshmallows, while we clean up after the fabulous potluck feast and settle into our chairs to watch The Long, Long Trailer. The weather was sublime and the people were super! It was so good to see old friends and make new ones. Mark and I hope to see everyone again at our next rally. And to those of you who couldn’t come, we look forward to meeting all of you at the next rally.

P.S. I hear that Uwe hosted a wild party in his trailer Friday night with only a little wiggle room. We’re gonna crash it next time!

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:48 PM   #385
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I think I saw SLOWOLF in Templeton this afternoon stopped in town and then another A/S across the street from Taco Bell in Atascadero later in the day, I assume returning from the rally.
Hope everyone made it home safely. Sounds like a great time, sorry I couldn't be there for more of it. It was nice meeting you all!
Dave
Old 10-23-2006, 12:06 AM   #386
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
It was fun meeting you Dave. Sorry you could not stay longer.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:14 AM   #387
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Whatta Blowout!!

That line refers both to the Rally (Thanks Dan, and everyone for sharing and making it a memorable weekend!) and to the loss of the curb side front tire on the trailer, which disintegrated on Route 101 northbound near San Juan Bautista.. Traveling about 65, passing a slow-moving 5th wheel after 90+ minutes of traffic to travel 12 miles (Salinas to Hollister exit bumper to bumper..) and thumpeta thumpeta sound suggested a pullover would be good.. Made it onto exit ramp, tire sidewalls in shreds, rear tire supporting right side OK, and AAA said "We can't help, you're gonna have to overnight it and try to get to Wal-Mart in the morning.." Hmmm..

Found RV park sign on exit, limped into McAlpine Lake, found office closed but took empty spot, removed wheel and threw into Excursion, and drove home without trailer.. No damage to wheel well or rim. Plan is to have new tire mounted, and drive back to reclaim trailer tomorrow after business meeting... Will reconsider Good Sam offer of emergency roadside assistance for RV's...

Lessons:
1. Tire older than 3 years, not sure exactly how old. ALL will be new in October of 2006 now...
2. Having two tires on a side is good deal, as we traveled half mile before we could get over and stopped with front tire shredded, and still no swaying or threat to lose control. Having jacks and blocks of wood and lug wrench in trailer-Priceless!
3. Karma is good. Finding RV park to drop trailer and change tire off exit ramp right in front of us was best possible outcome. Quite a few portions of 101 had NO place to stop of unhitch or deal with tire problems..
4. Funny noises mean important things are happening back there. Stop and smell the rubber!
5. I know I should have take pictures, but was not in mood...

My picture uploads may be a day or two late, including our beloved Tree Tarantula, who was last seen sleeping on his back after falling out of tree...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:31 AM   #388
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
madera , California
OMG, Thank you sooo very much to BigDee for starting my favorist thread so far ..The NorCal Rally...!"!

Thank you to everyone I had the pleasure of getting to know and talk to!
It was an honor and priviledge to be in attendance with all of you.
Due to my short time I know there were others regretfully I did not get to meet, for that I am truly sorry and do hope we get another opportunity! Hopefully next rally I can take the whole 31 ft and stay longer!

Thank you Coastalview for letting me share some space!

The views, the food, the byobs, the long, long, long, ...table "Trailer", the hospitality. Looking forward to doing it again, safe trails too all til we have opportunity to cross again!

RolWil
Old 10-23-2006, 12:42 AM   #389
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
madera , California
[Lessons:
1. Tire older than 3 years, not sure exactly how old. ALL will be new in October of 2006 now...

sounds like my tires, soo glad you all are alright nothing like good ol dependable AAA.
You don't have a spare under the front section of your trailer?

And on the brighter side you were closer to home than say on your trip to Salem--
Old 10-23-2006, 01:40 AM   #390
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
where the wild things are!

three cheers to the very first NorCal Rally Steve and I attended!..
Coyotes, deer, wild turkeys, tarantulas and beutiful weather provided the perfect backdrop for the beautiful Airstreams that graced the campground of Lake San Antonio. The wonderful tours of the interiors of the vintage and modern Airstreams were amazing as was the great potluck and 'HD' Theater presentation of the 'Long, Long Trailer'. Kudos to BigDee for the great hosting of this event, and also to Uwe, Creampuff for their valuable sharing of knowledge at their workshops. Added to the festivities, who will not forget the spud launching experience by Doorgunner as well as the much anticipated Margarita ball!!..It was wonderful to meet as many of the forum members that we were able to and hope to attend more rallies in the future!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8399lake4.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	27338   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8591brush.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	27339  

Old 10-23-2006, 01:43 AM   #391
Rivet Master