Old 10-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #687
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Busted in Bakersfield

The party ain't over for us yet.... We broke down in Chowchilla, CA on Sunday. Stopped to fill up and discovered an impressive amount of oil under the MOHO right under where the big motor and transmission things bolt together. Yup, rear main seal is bad.
Now, before we left, the folks next to us, Chris & Betty said that should we be within a hundred miles either way of Bakersfield we should call should we need some sort of help. They saw me working on replacing my spark plug wire and all. You always hate to do that, but we were going to have to know where we could take the beast to get this fixed or if we should just turn around and head home.
Chris said to bring it on down and that he has a mechanic friend who could take care of it. So, Sunday at about 10:00 p.m. we arrived and got settled in for the evening. Monday Morning, we drove the beast to the mechanic and dropped it off and returned to Chris's house.
Now, normally, a breakdown is stressful and a little (really a lot) scary but Chris and Betty put us up (and put up with us) for 2 nights now and it has actually been a great experience. We got to see the work Chris does on cars and his shop - it s amazing! He even taught me how to weld!!! I am hooked on that I can tell you. Chris also said "now if you starve in this house, its your own fault - make yourself at home and I am not going to tell you that again".
They have taken first rate care of us and we have made some truly great new friends. This breakdown hasn't been too bad after all. This afternoon sometime we should pick up Airtini and continue our trip down the road to Arkansas. I guess I will be feeling both happy and sad at the same time..... I love Airstreaming!!!!

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #688
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Sooo sorry to hear that your broken in Bakersfield. On the other it sounds like your in good company. I hope you have safe travels to Arkansas.

What ever happened to your furry little hitch hiker?

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #689
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
He never hitch hiked as far as we can tell - I think he found the accommodations less than friendly and perhaps downright hostile and elected to leave on his furry own... We have not seen, smelled or otherwise and evidence of his existence in the motorhome.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #690
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
The Party's Over But The Memories Remain

A big thanks to everyone! We had a great time seeing old friends and making new ones. We're looking forward to seeing everyone at Casini if not sooner.

Thanks again!

Your friends,
Old 10-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #691
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Alamo , California
Elle & I echo Yhotty's sentiments!! Great get-to-together with seeing old and making new friends. Count us in for Casini in the Spring and Jackson in the Fall next year.
TKNELLE
Old 10-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #692
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Buttercup... I remember looking underneath the rig right before we left and reported that there wasnt so much as a drip.. your comment.. yup, i wipe them up! lol..

Glad to hear that a fellow airstreamer came through for you. That doesnt surprise me at all.. look forward to hearing about the rest of your uneventful trip outside of some great pictures you might post.. but nothing with the hood in the upright position...

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #693
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
...Now, normally, a breakdown is stressful and a little (really a lot) scary but Chris and Betty put us up (and put up with us) for 2 nights now and it has actually been a great experience. We got to see the work Chris does on cars and his shop - it s amazing! He even taught me how to weld!!! I am hooked on that I can tell you. Chris also said "now if you starve in this house, its your own fault - make yourself at home and I am not going to tell you that again".
They have taken first rate care of us and we have made some truly great new friends. This breakdown hasn't been too bad after all. This afternoon sometime we should pick up Airtini and continue our trip down the road to Arkansas. I guess I will be feeling both happy and sad at the same time..... I love Airstreaming!!!!
That's a great story Tim!! It's just one big adventure when your on the road. I love it! Godspeed to you and Kimber.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #694
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I may do that. Was at Casini this summer. Nice place, but I screwed up on directions and ended up on the Bohemian Highway. I still don't know how I made it without scraping the side of my trailer..
Old 10-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #695
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
A big thanks to everyone! We had a great time seeing old friends and making new ones. We're looking forward to seeing everyone at Casini if not sooner.

Thanks again!

Your friends,
Ditto that. Work always seems to get in the way of getting to Cassini, but these days when any hours on the pay check is good hours, it might be good insurance for me to sign up for Cassini.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jackson rancheria rv park, norcal rally