Old 01-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #15
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Sounds good. I heard there was whale watching and an area near Jenner with sea lions hanging around. Is that right?

Got to get these rains to stop in No. Cal so I can get to work. Did I mention not only do I have to finish a dinette, the upholstry, learn to laminate the table, etc... I also have to lay a new flooring, probably a pergo look alike.

And all I see from my window is rain rain rain..... ;-(

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Sounds good. I heard there was whale watching and an area near Jenner with sea lions hanging around. Is that right?

There is a sea lion colony (protected by the Marine protection Act...so stay clear(They also attract the Great Whites)...and one or two elephant seals that you have to watch out for (they tend to be aggressive and dangerous but fun to watch)...there are harbour seals actually in the the mouth of the Russian River too..and river otters, ospreys, blue heron, night herons, etc.... and my favorite, the green herons ...You might be able to see the grey whales migrating off the points that time of the year...Don't forget your binocs...

And all I see from my window is rain rain rain..... ;-(

This weekend would be a bad time for Casini Ranch...4 inches predicted and the river is rising...driving to work this AM a large redwood branch fell in front of my truck on Bohemian Hwy scaring the pee out of me...

Old 01-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
We're in..

Dee-

Count on another Excella 25, as we'll plan to bring the Condoluminum unless the Russian River is doing it's twice-a-decade "Hundred Year Flood".. (For those unfamiliar, there's a pole in campground with stripe about 8 feet above ground to show "high water mark" from last few floods...). Canoe trips on Russian River are very popular (depending on weather again..) as are wine tasting and other local water or ocean activities...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:02 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
the 'mingoes

We'll try to make it again, probably doing some camping or motelling it again, since by then I'm hoping to just have finished painting the frame under the trailer! I have all kinds of time but no dry place to work on it. Still, we had a great time and love the Russian River area. We may even just visit for the day. Korbel is right nearby! And I'm bringing my hiking boots!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:07 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
, California
I'm In!!

Hey y'all,

I can make this trip. I owe myself this trip.- Ray
Old 01-08-2005, 09:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
John- Great to hear you're in, old neighbor. If we can get this rain out of the way here in Jan., maybe we will be safe in April?

Ingrid- You got to come again. There is a B&B just down the road where my best friend worked for years. It would be perfect. The campfire wouldn't be the same without ya.

Ray- Great! Glad you can make it. We will all need it by April.

The response to this rally has been huge. It's been less then a week and nine spots are spoken for already. It took months to get that many for Laguna Seca. Maybe each rally will get bigger and bigger. I'll have to try to get a few more sites. Haven't heard from Tinsel Loaf or DogHouse yet either. Hope they can make it.

Casini Rally List
1) Big Dee
2) Coastalview
3) Hit'the'road
4) Safari Tim
5) caadoptees
6) MikeB
7) Luminati
8) JBMcG
9) Fatt Ratt

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Big Dee
Going from I-5 around clear lake to get to the Russian river is a long long trip. What does it cost to cross the Golden Gate towing a Airstream which is a much shorter route.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Tin, southbound direction is toll @ $5.00 per 2 axle vehicle, then $2.50 for each addtional axle . Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Tinsel,

I've driven the I5 to Russian River route with my Safari. It was windy. Very Windy. Too windy. I wouldn't do it again.

I recommend the Richmond- San Rafael Bridge (I580). It is by far the easiest way. If you go GG Bridge, you have to deal with 19th Avenue, which is not fun with trailer. Expect all bridge tolls to be around $10.

Are you in? Come on Tinsel. We need you there.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #24
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Big Dee,

How about listing the trailers year next to the names. I want to make sure I'm not the oldest rig there!

You guys in your brand new CCD, Classics, .... grumble...grumble...
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
Ingrid- You got to come again. There is a B&B just down the road where my best friend worked for years. It would be perfect. The campfire wouldn't be the same without ya.
Oh yeah we'll come. Russian River is one of my favorite areas. I just don't know where we'll stay or for how long. We'll definitely bring my daughter and most likely my niece.

Tinsel; the Richmond San Rafael bridge is much easier not to mention a great view too.

signed,
tentatively/most likely/it's marked in pen on the calendar/
pinkflamingoes

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:03 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

more suggestions,golfers etc...

For more suggestions of things to do....which is endless...
there is a charming 9 hole golf course near the river and amongst the redwoods in nearby Monte Rio... I believe there is a website...Northwoods is the name and the greens fees are not too bad. I don't play the game...but have friends who are pros who like this little course for the ambience.
Bodega Bay has one too.
The little quonset hut Rio theatre in Monte Rio plays first runs and gives $5 discounts to persons 55 and over...and have great (movie theatre) food too.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

any spaces left for a newbie?

My girlfirend and I would like to get to know all the folks here. We are new to the group, and in the area. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California

Hi SilverStater.

We too, are "newbies". I'm certain that our shared love of Airstreams will break any ice. We are looking forward to meeting new people with this same interest/obsession. Generally when we camp, we're usually the only AS around, which is kinda cool, but then we yearn to see other AS's too.

Since we live fairly close to the Russian River (Petaluma is less than an hour away), I can tell you that Casini Family Ranch Campground is very close to the Pacific O. and occasionally the fog creeps in and up at the mouth river, making for some chilly nights. Just come prepared. Generally there is more fog in the summer, so it may not even be an issue. We camped there last summer and the scenery is stunning; birdlife, trees and of course, the RIVER!

My husband wants to know if any Mountain Bikers are in this group. He knows some killer trails nearby!

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote