Old 03-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #225
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
[quote=Big Dee;661139]wow i go away for 2 days and i come back to find......POSTS on this thread. amazing.
This is a quote from Big Dee back in January. Big Dee needs to leave town again so we can post again. SUUUUUURE is quiet on this thread.....the rally is just 3 weeks away. We need some EXCITEMENT on this thread now. Is everyone ready to RALLY !!!!

Neil.

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #226
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Im ready! Just fixin the last few things on my list... Its like an old Harley, just keep tinkin with it till we're ready to roll

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #227
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
That's the spirit!

We're getting there, Neil!
Waay too many "real life" distractions... But now it's Casini Time! We've started the daily "getting ready for the road " talks, feeling pretty lucky to be rallying in a beautiful place with such a great crowd. (And always a crowd with great ideas for making camping life ever-better...)
I love the prep! It's a huge part of the fun, and if I can avoid the flinching and gasping on 19 Ave. through SF, we'll have it made.
Can't wait to see everyone!
Happy trails,
Old 03-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #228
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Janetb.

Last week we stayed at Mission springs off Mount Herman road. It was a great trip. I thought the same thing as i live north of the gate so i decided to take 17 to 880 to 580, over the Richmond San Rafael bridge and up 101. There was a little bit of rough road coming through San Leandro (only about a mile) but free sailin the rest of the way. I was a bit worried about getting through Golden Gate park the way your describing.. i guess i could just hold my breath through that part. With the crew cab, long bed and another 30 feet behind that I tend to drift into the other lanes when making those curves..

See you soon

Vinnie

Old 03-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #229
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks for info. Vinnie. That route definitely has wider lanes, and you do have the long long trailer! Glad you're making the Casini excursion in that beauty. Can't wait to see it!
Old 03-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #230
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
This year we are looking for a 'smoother' ride to Casini. We drive down 50 through Sacramento and blend into I-80. I-80 in the Vacaville to the Vallejo turnoff is a 4 wheel road. So many pot 'ditches' in the two right lanes! We travel that route frequently to our daughter and famly in Oakland but travel in the #1 and #2 lanes (without trailer) which do not get the abuse from the trucks. But last year as we approached Vacaville the car began to slow so I pulled onto the shoulder. Out of gas. But it can't be so! I had 3/4 tank when we left home. And the the gauge read.....3/4 tank. Hmmmm? AAA was there within 15 minutes with 4 gallons of gas. So I filled up at the next off ramp and the gauge read...3/4 tank. So I wrote down the odometer reading and set the Trip Set to 00000. But our journey was to be eventfull again. As we approached Gurneville I noticed that the odometer and Trip Set had not moved! AAAAW, CRIMINETLY! We came to a gas station so I decided to top off the tank. But as I cruised passed the pumps I saw that the nozzles would be a problem with my gas fill tube which is behind the rear licence plate in the middle of the rear bumper inches from the high rise hitch shank. People towed trailers in the 60s and 70s with these cars!!! Howd' they put gas in?? Anyway I began to exit the station but a car parked in the No Park zone made turning with the trailer tight. Even though I was watching the street side of the trailer (turning left) I failed to see that I was beyond close to the steel posts protecting the gas pumps and etched a 9' scratch along the trailer . Insurance paid to replace 14' of aluminum side. That's why we were at Toscano's a week ago. I can't say enough about their workmanship (you'll see it at Casini) and great customer service. Cam had his major repair done there last year. He recommended Toscano to us. I have repaired the odometers. The fuel gauge worked again but sporatically. So I can get by by calculating the miles per gallon.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 03-21-2009, 11:39 PM   #231
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Hello Janetb.

Last week we stayed at Mission springs off Mount Herman road. It was a great trip. I thought the same thing as i live north of the gate so i decided to take 17 to 880 to 580, over the Richmond San Rafael bridge and up 101. There was a little bit of rough road coming through San Leandro (only about a mile) but free sailin the rest of the way. I was a bit worried about getting through Golden Gate park the way your describing.. i guess i could just hold my breath through that part. With the crew cab, long bed and another 30 feet behind that I tend to drift into the other lanes when making those curves..

See you soon

Vinnie
Hey, Vinne, are you going to wiggle you rig into Wright's Lake? A friend gets his 30' Nash w/slide out and crew cab Chevy up there. He goes several times a summer. We have a full summer but do have reservations for Labor Day week.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 03-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #232
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Hey, Vinne, are you going to wiggle you rig into Wright's Lake? A friend gets his 30' Nash w/slide out and crew cab Chevy up there. He goes several times a summer. We have a full summer but do have reservations for Labor Day week.
Neil

Hi Neil,

Not sure about Wrights lake. We last went there with the Class C motorhome. Im afraid of those washouts bridges on the way in. You know the ones that go from asphault to cement and then have the metal grates. They are deep and i think im going to drag bottom. I did that with my Featherlite car trailer behind the motorhome and the back of the trailer caught each metal bar until it slid past the grate. Ugh.. no problem with featherlite but would do some damage to the airstream?!

On the highway 80 note.. my blood pressure goes skyhigh when i start hitting huge potholes and broken cement pieces through that vacaville area..

Cheers Vinnie

Old 03-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #233
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Janet, We take 19TH street through SF every year. Just remember once you are on 19TH street to be in the number 2 (center) lane the entire route to the Golden Gate bridge. Reason? No lane changes required the entire route through the city.
Our return home has always been Southbound 580 over the San Rafael Bridge and continue to merge on to 880 Southbound. Reason? Another free direction (I'm cheap in my travels)
Once 580 merges with 80 in the East bay, get yourself into the number 4 lane (4TH from left including car pool lane) Reason? No lane changes once you get to the interchange of 880,80,580. Once on 880 South I stay in the number 3 lane for the smoothest ride even though 880 South is not very scenic, it generally moves at the posted speed limit.

Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #234
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Hi Neil,

Not sure about Wrights lake. We last went there with the Class C motorhome. Im afraid of those washouts bridges on the way in. You know the ones that go from asphault to cement and then have the metal grates. They are deep and i think im going to drag bottom. I did that with my Featherlite car trailer behind the motorhome and the back of the trailer caught each metal bar until it slid past the grate. Ugh.. no problem with featherlite but would do some damage to the airstream?!

On the highway 80 note.. my blood pressure goes skyhigh when i start hitting huge potholes and broken cement pieces through that vacaville area..

Cheers Vinnie
Yeah, Vinnie I know the one washout bridge on the road up from Ice House. I don't know any on the road up from Kyburz but haven't driven that since our tent trailer days. THAT is a nasty road with the steep winding curves. As for the washout our vintage AS has manufactured skids below the bumper but we haven't 'skidded' yet. My problem is high centering the hitch on the car. especially on the lumpy 1 mph S curve around bolders the are about 1/2 mile from Wright's. No matter what approach angle that I try I scrape the road. I figure after 2 more trips I'll have the road leveled there. But we love Wright's.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 03-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #235
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Found this on Casini's website photo's

Does anyone recognize their rig?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstreams118.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	77402  

Old 03-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #236
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
The past Nor Cal Casini Rallies have been held in the Spring when the trees at Casini are leaf-less and cut back. The photo appears the be summertime or early Fall. The Vintage Travel Trailer Club holds their rallies at Casini....that foto me be of the Airstreams attending that event. Lynn and I have attended one of their rallies in the Coloma area. They are a nice group of people.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 03-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #237
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Finally Out Of Hibernation!

O.K.,my fellow Airstreamer's... I guess I've been hibernating or sum-thin' ! Aren't we having a huge Airstream Rally in a few weeks???

We are planning on showing up on Thursday afternoon to get this party going! I'm going to be bringing a couple of rounds of our local, world championship ROUGE NOIR triple-cream Brie cheese, some della Fattoria Bakery sourdough baguettes, and plan on hitting Doorgunner up for some that fabulous Michael David Lodi Appellation to help wash down the cholesterol and carb-laden delicacies.

Now... I want to see some action on this thread!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0801.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	77472  
Attached Images

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #238
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
Action, you want to see some action. Come over to my house and watch me polish. To some this is action they can live with out.....lol

Oh by the way welcome back.

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote