Old 01-29-2009, 09:36 PM   #127
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
A little heat...

We have never had a heater in our rig, but on a c-r-a-z-y whim, we finally got one of those fancy Catalytic heaters!
Now, I don't want to hear any negativity- just let us down gently, if you must. Is this dang thang any good? Where is the best spot to stage it?

It is the Olympian Catalytic Heater - Wave 3 - 3000 BTU

I'm super-excited to use it at Casini Ranch! No more frozen toes, quickly tip-toeing over the marmoleum to start the morning coffee!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antarctica.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	74828  
Attached Images

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
My first A/S (1998) had one mounted to the cabinet end, we loved it. You will undoubtedly get some "negativity" from some who believe they are dangerous.
I say, they are UL rated - use them as directed.
If you fail to follow directions, you can have oxygen depletion issues.

They aren't good for "front line" heaters, especially in very cold country because they do not heat the tanks, etc.
They use no battery, are efficient with propane. You can have heat while boondocking or otherwise off grid.

Enjoy, we did for several years.

Dave

AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #129
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
My first A/S (1998) had one mounted to the cabinet end, we loved it. You will undoubtedly get some "negativity" from some who believe they are dangerous.
I say, they are UL rated - use them as directed.
If you fail to follow directions, you can have oxygen depletion issues.

They aren't good for "front line" heaters, especially in very cold country because they do not heat the tanks, etc.
They use no battery, are efficient with propane. You can have heat while boondocking or otherwise off grid.

Enjoy, we did for several years.

Dave

Dave-
That was a very deft and gentle response and full of promise too! I was aware of the oxygen depletion possibilities and as you can see by our avatar, we are thoroughly prepared! But, I'm glad to hear that you had good use of your heater and that with vigilance, we will also!
cheers! Karin

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 01-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
ahh i see rich and family are coming in on sunday. too bad they will miss the big party on saturday night. but at least cam and i are staying thru wednesday.

glad your little toes will be warm and toasty this time karin. the horrors of cold feet can now be avoided.

Casini Rally List
Big Dee.............................Dan and dogs Addie and Deakin #131 Fri-Wed
coastalview........................Jeff, Kathy, and Collin (9), and Lucy #130 Fri-Sun
codybear............................Paula and Steve #139 Thursday -Sunday
FreshAir............................ Neil and Lynn and new dog, Lizzy #141. Wed-Tues.
Yhottys..............................Gemma and Murray #54 Friday-Sunday
millvalleyca........................Dennis, Ross, Alex (10), Roland (9) and 3 Scotties #144 Friday-Monday
vlamica..............................Vinnie, Cindy and Lacie the dog #140 Fri-Sun
NevadaGeo.........................Perry #145, Fri-Sun evening.
Alumanutz..........................John, Chris and Toby
kontiki...............................Jim and Ginny #124
tipster................................Sue #135
Stan Z................................Stan #136 Fri-Mon
Hit'the'road.........................Cam and dog Murphy #129 Fri-Wed
TKNELLE.............................Tom and Elle
Rogerdodger........................Roger and Val and {(Molly and Ginger)dogs} #146 Friday-Monday
janetb.................................Janet and Terry #148 Thur-Sun
Zugbug...............................Skip, Laura, and Mitzy #147 Thur-Mon
Warbler5.............................Dee & Paul, site #137, Thurs-Tues
bevman..............................Michael and dog Kate, site #F2 Fri-Sun
1953 Flying..........................Robert,Angela, Jessica,dog Roger#128 Fri-sun
Luminati.............................Mark & Karin + the mighty Quinn dog, site #127
TerraYacht..........................Cliff & Andrea, #122, Friday-Monday
geezernbabe........................Dave and Penny, Thur-Mon
Condoluminum.....................John & Dianne, Fri-Sun, Space F3
SilverBreeze .......................?....................?..... ...........F5
Lukira................................Rich, Lisa, Luca (12) and Akira (10) Sun-Tue #148

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:58 PM   #131
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminati View Post
We have never had a heater in our rig, but on a c-r-a-z-y whim, we finally got one of those fancy Catalytic heaters!
Now, I don't want to hear any negativity- just let us down gently, if you must. Is this dang thang any good? Where is the best spot to stage it?

I'm super-excited to use it at Casini Ranch! No more frozen toes, quickly tip-toeing over the marmoleum to start the morning coffee!
Our PO mounted our 3000 in the bathroom. That makes is the warmest place in the coach. However, the fromt end will someday get a larger cat....someplace in there. But then I got my love of 40 years to keep me warm..,even with twin beds.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:59 PM   #132
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminati View Post

Our PO mounted our 3000 in the bathroom. That makes is the warmest place in the coach. However, the fromt end will someday get a larger cat....someplace in there. But then I got my love of 40 years to keep me warm..,even with twin beds.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #133
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Hi all;
First, many, many years ago I camped across the USA in VW van that I converted and we used a catalytic heater in some pretty cold weather up at Bryce Canyon, but...maybe the oxygen depletion is the reason for this memory issue: I'm SURE it is not age! We had no symptoms, and if there wer small amounts of CO we would have had noticeable symptoms. A CO monitor is the key. If you have an outside air source you won't have O2 depletion, but a CO buildup.

Second: this is our first rally and I was going to ask about a "potluck" reference, and now I see a reference to a Saturday night party. That sounds great, so please post some info about the usual suspect events.
Our rig is in the shop right now, plenty of time...I hope...before we head up to join everyone.
Thanks,
Old 01-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
cliff- norcal rallies follow a very loose standard rally schedule.

friday- meet & greet happy hour in the evening
saturday- trailer tours and gab fest all day, happy hour late afternoon, grand pot luck dinner at 6 sharp, bonfire after dinner.
sunday- coffee and say goodbye

standard schedule except i think i might host a special easter brunch on sunday before everyone leaves.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #135
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Thanks everyone re: cat heater. I'm feeling good about our decision.

Cliff- Regarding the Potluck: Our last NorCal Rally Saturday Night Potluck (Jackson Rancheria) had some of the best food ever! Someone deep-fried a turkey and there were lots of delicious salads, main dishes, sides and desserts to enjoy. Big Dee has us line the tables together and it makes for a festive evening. Bring whatever you like. It all gets eaten and enjoyed.

And if you like fire pits, well Doorgunner has the most inovative, stealth. fire-marshall-proof pyrotechnics going.

-Karin

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 01-30-2009, 01:05 AM   #136
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi there Karin and Dave!!!..Happy Happy New Year to you!!!

The heater in our safari may be the next project for us soon!!

Looking forward to rallying w/the group again..not too much longer since we've started the new year!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #137
The Browski Family

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Sausalito , California
Changed our site # and dates - still trying to reserve a site with FULL hookups. / #25 Fri - Mon
Old 01-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #138
1953 Flying Cloud

1953 21' Flying Cloud
West Sacramento , California
70 Days and counting

Well I received a phone call from the folks last night stating that they are flying up to see us for Easter weekend. They live in Big Bear Calif. I said thats great but we wont be home. The conversation went like this: What do you mean you wont be home!!! Yup, thats right we will be camping with our AS friends. Oh, he said. Of course you are more than welcome to come if you want. But you will have to sleep in a tent covered in Aluminum Foil. He said no problem. I was shocked.... Most likely I will be me in the tent with the trusty dog at my side. I couldn't let my parents sleep in a tent. That would just be wrong, or would it? So on this note my folks will be joining us for festivities at Casini. I hope this is ok with ya'll.

Look forward to seeing old and new friends soon.....

www.petidforme.com/105
1953 Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #139
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi Robert,

Sounds like you'll have a full house w/you on this coming trip!!! Like it's been said: "The more, the merrier"
Old 01-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #140
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Tents? We don't want no stinkin' tents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1953 Flying View Post
Well I received a phone call from the folks last night stating that they are flying up to see us for Easter weekend. They live in Big Bear Calif. I said thats great but we wont be home. The conversation went like this: What do you mean you wont be home!!! Yup, thats right we will be camping with our AS friends. Oh, he said. Of course you are more than welcome to come if you want. But you will have to sleep in a tent covered in Aluminum Foil. He said no problem. I was shocked.... Most likely I will be me in the tent with the trusty dog at my side. I couldn't let my parents sleep in a tent. That would just be wrong, or would it? So on this note my folks will be joining us for festivities at Casini. I hope this is ok with ya'll.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey,Robert!

That's awfully nice of you. Maybe I can loan them my neighbors land yacht [see attached photo below)...jk

cheers! Karin
Attached Images

Sir Winston Churchill