Old 04-27-2002, 06:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
for us being in education, we have off in June and July, for 10 weeks. So taking off more than a 3 day weekend in October is not going to happen. Also my priority is the kids school, and other activities.
We are looking forward to another, and hopefully larger rally- but could only do what is reasonable for us to attempt.
Lets keep a fire under it and see how many folks might really show up...
Heading to TOG today for their Spring Rally.

Old 04-27-2002, 02:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Summer Rally?

Alan,
I totally understand the summer availability issue. The only place in the Southeast that I know would be even remotely cool in the summer might be TOG or Asheville, N.C.? Any suggestions for June, July, August? Stone Mountain, GA? Hershey, PA (kinda expensive)? I'd hate to compete with the International Rally.

I think we can almost rule out Cherokee LYH.

ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 02:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
TOG

Just returned from the TOG Georgia spring rally.
Felt like a couple from another planet. There were very few people in the park during the day, a lot of airstreams, but the owners were mostly off on a visit to Helen.
We were warned twice by different people about letting our kids ride their bikes too fast(over 5mph) in the park, in spite of them really doing this only once , and they were not "endangering" anyone. The second warning came with the advice to go read the park by laws posted in the office. A shame as my guys listened to the first warning and did nothing wrong after.
Then when we attempted to walk our little dog over to the nature trail, we were reminded that dogs are not allowed to walk thru the front section of the park, only the back over the bridge.
So my suggestion is if you have kids,and want to do something other than sit and chat, this is not the place to go...nice park for the "older"set. The high pint for me was meeting fellow motorhome owner UncleNeal from Montezuma,Ga who has a 345 and a 310 - which is for sale. His 345 was at TOG.
Sorry but I won't go back there, and might even have to say I would not be a very interested WBCCI member in the future if this is the general atmosphere at the Rallys.
Old 04-28-2002, 03:10 PM   #18
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Mis-treatment

There is no excuse for your treatment at TOG. Even the older generation like us won't tolerate that kind of treatment by the Host. We have dogs and wouldn't want to be hassled by that either. We agree that if that kind of thing , especially for children will prevail at WBCCI activities, we won't be going either.
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 03:17 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Ditto for me, too - as I have both - a child AND a dog!

There really is no excuse for ill treatment and rudeness - if more of us boycott this type of behaviour by refusing to attend events with people such as these, then perhaps (?!) it will cease to exist . . .

Wishful thinking, I know . . .

Sorry for your experience, Alan.
Old 04-28-2002, 05:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Unhappy One more thing

I should say, the HOST was generally friendly- it was the other "Badged" folks that were a bit too nervous for us, especially considering the circumstances.
The current President told me he was going to be "blunt", after I made a friendly approach to check out his trailer set up...and he proceeded to let me know that the by laws were posted for me to read at the office...and we needed to protect our elder members..as if we were being obnoxious or something
whew!! And he had a big motorcycle, which he cruised around on, evidently going 5mph in the park I guess.
The members should be very encouraging of kids, in these times when supposedly the WBCCI is starving for new younger members.
We were set for some fun, and unfortunately had none. Next time i will go to UNICOI state park.
Sorry to vent...but it is cathartic..
Old 04-28-2002, 07:04 PM   #21
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Alan, you have every right to be disturbed about your experience, especially after we had such a great time at Mystic Springs.
Maybe thats why Sandy and Rona made the comment:
"Its so great to see you having so much fun!"
There are so many fantastic State Parks in this country, no need to expose yourself and your family to this kind of intolerance!
This weekend they had a rally in Boerne, Tx, close to San Antonio and I wanted to go. But Catstream said no way and that she is 'afraid' of 'them'.
This club has to prove to me that it's worth joining them, until then I only will be a M7 charter member.

M7RIG1
Old 04-28-2002, 07:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Compare that to the excellent welcome we received from Mystic Springs! Alan and I received e-mails in advance from the club officers that were delighted to have our rally there. Kids and dogs, we all had a great time. The welcome/farewell chalkboard was just icing on the cake!

I have read that the RV set has a division that is older and dislikes kids and pets. It is also true that with falling WBCCI membership, attracting younger families is CRITICAL for their future. I say we put together a list of family friendly parks and hold those that aren't accountable.

I wonder if that experience is typical at TOG or just a bad moment? The camp hosts and visitors probably change over time. My suggestion is to write a complaint letter to the responsible group.
Old 04-28-2002, 07:36 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Seems to me I read somewhere (Hunter Hampton's travel tales?) that Hunter had a HORRIBLE experience at TOG and she refuses to go there again!

I, for one, refuse to even give them a chance -

It's too bad - I was all set to join the WBCCI, but I have read, not only here but on other lists as well, about their bias towards younger people (my husband and I are in our mid-thirties), kids and pets! Also, single women traveling alone!

I stand behind you, Alan, in boycotting this particular park.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:52 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Alan's report of TOG

Hi Alan
Sorry to hear of the less than enjoyable experience at TOG.
I attended the Fla State Rally at Sarasota in Feb., and was flabbergasted at some of the rules and behavior of some of the WBCCI members. Most are friendly, interesting , and willing to welcome a new member at large to his first rally. However, I attended a banquet, by myself of course, and my fellow WBCCI members at my eating area treated me as if I was invisible.After repeated attempts to engage them in a conversation or to join them in theirs were twarted, I gave up and ate my meal in silence.
Again, I met some very nice people, but many of the members seem to be oblivious to the fact that WBCCI needs to attract new members, and that many of the new Airstreamers have children and pets.
WBCCI is an old, good organization. But in many respects, they operate as if this is 1962.

Cliff in Indiana
Old 04-29-2002, 06:23 AM   #25
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Our 2 cents Worth

Our money has already been sent to the South Carolina Chapter, and we have received very pleasant telephone calls and a letter from both the President and Membership Secretary - welcoming us to visit their Cove (camp) as visitor, before our membership is processed, which by the way we intend to do. I intend to write a letter to the National Headquarters, with a copy to the SC Chapter to see just how interested the organization would be in stamping out prejudice to vibrant youthful membership, with their children and pets. I am prone to give it a chance , but we would be the first to bail out if we encounter any of this sort of thing which Cliff and Alan are reporting. From my viewpoint They need us, We don't need them. Situations like not being able to use power, etc., a rallies speaks of poor organizational planning, etc. I sorta view these actions as representing a type of inner resentment towards a youthful element in an elder society that so to speak is "over the hill".
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 12:05 PM   #26
Finally Retired

, Washington
RUDE

We belong to the club in Lacey WA and they are very friendly. Always willing to help with knowledge or working with you. Very large area to "camp" with hook-ups and a large rec hall for gatherings. It is also nice that if you were to stay there for a few days and want to explore the ocean is about 1-2 hours away, many cute small towns the capitol in Olympia Mt St Helens is about 1 hour south Many things to see and do. We have found that without fail every place we stay people have been very friendly occassionally we get a grump but not often. We have grandchildren ranging from 6-19 (8 total) plus a 3 1/2 lb dog. Of course we have never taken 8 grandchildren with us that would probably put me over the edge. But we love meeting people with children along. Keeps us all young!
Old 04-29-2002, 12:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
To continue this discussion, I started a thread in:

Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > WBCCI family/children/pet friendly?

O.k., We take TOG off the rally list until the issue is resolved. When and where are the next motorhome rallys?
Old 05-26-2002, 06:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
I'm going to bring this up again!!!

Mid-October Fall Rallys
----------------------------
Weekends are 10/5-6, 10/12-13, 10/19-20, 10/26-27
#1 East Coast/Central - ????
(Cherokee Land Yacht Harbor (OK) was nixed)
#2 West Coast - proposed for Land Yacht Harbor in Lacey, WA

Annual Spring Motorhome Rallys
----------------------------------------
Southeast
(more organized than our first)
April 4,5, & 6th, 2003 at Mystic Springs
April 2,3,& 4th, 2004 at Mystic Springs.
(TOG eliminated themselves from consideration)

West Coast
April 4,5, & 6th, 2003 at TBD
April 2,3,& 4th, 2004 at TBD

The farther out we set the dates, the better the attendance will be! Maybe we should set a goal of 5/7 to have dates set.