Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Moraine View 2012-- Celebrating a Decade

June 2012 marks a special event here at AirForums. It will mark the 10th anniversary of the Forums Moraine View rally. Back on April 1 of 2003 http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...html#post30769 I made a decision to help break a deadlock in a discussion as to where us midwesterners could meet up. Moraine View, near Bloomington Illinois bridged a gap in distances that could bring many of us together at one convenient site.

I hadn't been to Moraine View, but did a leap of faith from some recommendations of others, that this location would be a good spot for a rally. Far enough away from the big metropolitan cities to assure us of ample sites, but close enough that most would not have to drive more than a day to get to.

Yes the location had its challenges. An electric only campground, but for a weekend, most of us could comfortably use our holding tanks for water and waste. Where water was available, you needed a filter to get rid of the sediment. But it had its advantages. A friendly park staff who did their best to keep us all together in one or two loops. Good site space that accommodated a large gathering of people, and best of all participation from lots of you out there who came to the rally, tried out your recipes at our pot luck, and sat out in the dark watching movies projected on the side of a vintage Airstream.

We've gone through good weather and bad, but in our 9 years so far, we've never had the Saturday night pot luck and movies rained out. Not that it hasn't been close but in the end if the Saturday rain came, it always ended prior to dinner and the movies. Pretty phenomenal considering we have had this rally on the second weekend of June in 8 of its 9 years.

Last year we moved to a new area in the park (down by the lake). This year we had to deal with the new reservation system that made us all commit to our sites early in January. Through it all we continue to be blessed by a mix of returnees and first time attendees. Lots of friends have been made, some have passed on. Kids have grown up, unions have been made, and some unions have parted. Our canine buddies have also changed over time and many have passed over the rainbow bridge only to be replaced by new companions displaying their own endearing traits.

A few of us have been there every year, and some almost every year. Its been a fun event and something that has been a given here at AirForums. After looking at some of the archives, I believe it's the oldest same site Forums rally that is in existence.

So what's the plans for 2012? I'm still thinking through that but I'd love to see the original 14 attendees show for this one. Here is the list of the originals.

Those attending included Eric Hackl & Brandi Bour, Tim & Laura Brusman , Ike & Sue Eikelberg, John & Susan Kaiser, Ron Schumaker, Gary & Narda Salmon, Curtis & Haley Tate, Chris Coyle, Tony & Amy Losasso, Kevin Allen, Phil Abernathy & Sue Smithson, Ron & Tracy Lawrence, Jack & Patty Canvera, Sue Chesnut.

So if any of you know the folks above, let them know we are looking for them. And any of you who haven't been back for a while, come back at least next year. The park has lots of room and we would love see you all back.

Note that next year's dates are June 8-10, so we will need to mark those dates on the calendar and remember to get the reservations into Reserve America in January 2012. Note that sites are available as early as 6 months prior to booking dates. I'll post the area and the sites to look for in December.

Until then, mark your calendar, try to find our original attendees, invite those who have been here in the past, and of course if you are new, join us. It will be a fun time, and I will be posting well prior as we make our plans for a great 10 year rally!

http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...c=3091&userid= For fun here's a link back to the 2003 rally pictures.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Thumbs up Sound's Great

We put the Dates in our Calender. Thank You Jack.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Jack.

We also feel the 10th anniversary rally should be something special. In honor of that, I will offer to make my world-famous buttermilk pancakes for breakfast one morning. Attendees having electric griddles, please plan to bring them along.

Maggie
Old 06-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
I will be there come hell or high water it will make 10 years for me and my dog if she is still around. Is it next June yet
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Thanks, Jack.

We also feel the 10th anniversary rally should be something special. In honor of that, I will offer to make my world-famous buttermilk pancakes for breakfast one morning. Attendees having electric griddles, please plan to bring them along.

Maggie
I've been looking for a reason to get off the fence and buy an electric griddle! This works!

Nancy
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
Saturday marked six months to the date of this year's Moraine View Rally. Time to start making your reservations.

Laird & Nancy reserved their usual corner site 17.
I took site 18 with the kayak landing.
Mike & Tina are in site 19.
Don & Lana are in site 20.

The rest of the loop is wide open. Start filling in before someone else does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moraine View.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	146902  
Old 12-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are in F4.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Maggie
Old 12-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Just got 16.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Just got 15. Will arrive on Wed the 6th.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
did you know?

There's a Moraine State park in western PA too. At one time it was named Moraine View State Recreational area! I've watched this rally for probably the last six years and thought - that's doable - about 500 miles but doable. Now realizing it's west of Chicago, I guess that's a little far for a Virginian from the oceanfront.

Caio, Paula
Old 12-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Aww, come on, you can hop on the Interstate and be there in a day!

We would all love to meet you.

Maggie
Old 12-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
Aw c'mon Paula...you could make it a 2 or 3 day drive and stop at your sister's, neice and grandnephew's for a day or two. Who knows, maybe you could even get your evil sister (bwaaaahahaha!) to come along with you!
prudencepb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
It is south of Chicago Paula. but yes it is quite a bit west of Virginia!
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
We haven't been able to attend the Midwest the past 4 yrs or so for one reason or another but this is a special rally for us too. It was our first rally ever. What a terrific group of people - can't wait to see everyone again and meet some new friends too!

Sue & Ike
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Milan , Illinois
We also will try to make it. Our last outing was at this park last week in Oct.

Ian & Carolyn
aswbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Northbrook , Illinois
We will be back, site 7 this time.
SQUAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
tikihut and cottage are in p22 and p23
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #18

Fenton , Missouri
Hi all. It's been a while since I checked in here and was pretty shocked at the level of booking....especially since I had not confirmed the dates since I'm still working and subject to the schedule here at the convention center.

At this point I'm going to stretch and say I can make it the second weekend of June. The 8th and 9th, although I probably will get there on Thursday the 7th.

At this point the inner F loop has sites 1,3,8 & 9 available. The outer loop P that backs to the lake and woods is almost full. Only P14 and P13 are available. Once those sites fill, you will need to move out to the E sites and some of the other P sites.

I'm going to check the posts and figure out what sites that are booked that aren't accounted for and see if we can figure out if those are booked by forum folks.

Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope I can still make it. At this point I'm in F5 and Eric "Silvertwinkie" is in F6.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 12-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #19

Fenton , Missouri
Looks like the only site unaccounted for, other than those open is P21. Anyone know who is there?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 12-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
P21 is Don & Lana (Diego) from Indianapolis. Last year they had the little Argosy Minuet along the woods.