Old 11-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Moraine View 2011 Rally

Here we are again starting the early planning process for the 2011 Moraine View rally. This will be year 9 and unlike last year where the park was temporarily closed down almost forcing us to a new locale, we have a new challenge that we will have to work through.

This year it's the reservation system that's the stumbling block. First we no longer can depend upon the good folks who run the park to help us stay together. The reservation system has been farmed out to Reserve America which is a private firm. Their system requires each user to reserve their own site through their reservation system. Not a problem other than you must specifically pick a site number. Prior in earlier years the Moraine folks would assign the sites and if someone outside our group made a reservation without a site choice, they would give them a site outside of our block of sites.

Last year we took a leap of faith and put our own money upfront and reserved 19 sites with the hope that you all would show and we wouldn't be left holding the bag. We even moved to the area close to the lake. You all came through and 18 of the 19 sites were filled.

This year we will not be allowed to reserve as a block, any specific areas of the park. In addition, reservations will open up on the Reserve America web site 6 months prior to our proposed June 10th-12 weekend.

I've had a suggestion that we all go to the web site on day one and reserve the spots by the lake that we used last year. Problem is many of you in attendance last year and potential attendees will have to make a very early commitment prior to you knowing for sure if you can make it. Also you have to understand that the lake is the most desirable spot in the park and the likely hood of us staying together will be difficult. That plays havoc with the pot luck, tables and movie night.

So what I am proposing is we go back to our old area that we spent our first 7 years in. That area is the least desirable area and most likely there will be open sites that will stay open longer into the spring. That means those of you have to wait to secure your plans will probably be able to stay in the group. That will insure a larger attendance and less problems with the food/movie night logistics.

Another thought is that we relocate the rally to a private campground where I could secure a block of sites with plenty of time for us to make our personal plans on the date. A couple of other advantages would be the ability to get water/sewer hookups and a covered pavilion.

So let's have some early discussion prior to the reservation date opening up. If there is a private campground that you know of, I'd be glad to investigate that potential.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi jack...

having attended several larger gatherings that use the r'america system...

i can report it works just fine, easy peasy, smooth like butta and so on.

set the dates and location (park) and folks can make reservations when ever and for what ever site.
________

imo the area closer to the lake used last time was a huge improvement over the front row...

with the common gathering area and the circular arrangement of sites, and the view of d'water and the more open arrangement.

trailers were also clustered together better than that long road with the dog leg uphill...

also being OFF the front row meant a whole lot less random traffic through the hood.

it was a great location for that park, like being somewhere else, almost.
_________

yes it could go back to the other area, but that's no guarantee folks will choose sites on row one...

because the park map and r'america system makes it easy to pick a spot.

so regardless of where in the park, corralling folks or controlling sites will be an issue...

at least for some.

could there be a few nonstreams mixed in, sure.

but that's been true every year over in the old location too.
_________

going someplace else is a good idea, many have been waiting for that change for years...

maybe someplace with drinkable water?

the main issue is understanding WHERE on the RA site this place is and whatz da town name...

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lebank.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	623.2 KB
ID:	115719   Click image for larger version

Name:	leCrooks.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	115720  

Name:	leFuzz.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	728.9 KB
ID:	115721   Click image for larger version

Name:	leHosers.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	556.6 KB
ID:	115722  

Name:	leHouse.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	606.6 KB
ID:	115723   Click image for larger version

Name:	lePress.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	456.5 KB
ID:	115724  

Name:	leSchool.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	900.5 KB
ID:	115725   Click image for larger version

Name:	leTower.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	115726  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
_

. , .
and le reflection of le water can be everso le smoooooth...

cheers
2air'

(le click on le imAHge 4 le grande le view...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	leReflectiion.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	115731  

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #4

Fenton , Missouri
Yep, the water is poor. I clogged a filter after I filled 3, 7 gallon water containers from the local water outlet.

Yes I agree that it was better by the lake. I know the Reserve America system works well. I've used it a couple times at other public parks. But that nice common gathering area was there because we had all the sites in that wagon wheel location. Yes we have had random folks pop into the other area we used to use. But usually those were situations where we either had late cancellations or the site wasn't taken by our folks. My gut tells me that others like that lake front area also and I'd be surprised if we could sew this area up with our folks alone. Once we lose that ability to stay together, the ease of gathering becomes much more difficult.

What I don't want is a situation where we end up with 8 folks or so being the ones who can commit early, and the balance of the folks deciding they would rather not be scattered and the rally attendance suffers.

But lets see what others think. Those of you who are not able to reserve early. Would your attitude change about coming if you found that you couldn't get a site amongst the main group?

Jack
AIR #56
Old 11-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
We are good with whatever (or where) it works out. If we had to take a site farther away we just walk a few more steps to get to the party. We are rarely in the trailer at this event anyway except to sleep. No big deal and I need the excercise anyway.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We would come, regardless of site location, but certainly being surrounded by fellow streamers and rally attendees is part of the fun.

As for another location, what else is there nearby? The only place that comes immediately to my mind is Comlara Park.

McLean County Parks and Recreation

I don't believe they are connected to Reserve America. It may be possible to to reserve a group of sites together there. ??

Maggie
Old 11-22-2010, 02:59 PM   #7

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
It looks nice but no wine?

SWIMMING PROHIBITED IN EVERGREEN LAKE- Structures exist under the water which can cause serious injury. i.e. fencing, trees, concrete, glass, etc.
ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ARE PROHIBITED- McLean County wishes to provide a family atmosphere which can be interfered with by intoxicating beverages.
UNLEASHED PETS ARE PROHIBITED- Roaming pets disturb other people and wildlife.
VEHICLES ARE PROHIBITED ON GRASS- Vehicles not only cause depressions in wet turf, they cause compaction on dry turf which leads to truf destruction. Exhaust systems are extremely hot and can cause damage to turf, too.
EVERGREEN LAKE WATERCRAFT REGISTRATIONS ARE REQUIRED- Local government facilities DO NOT receive funds generated by state registrations and must have this revenue to maintain docks, launches, roads, parking lots, restrooms, lake safety patrols, shoreline control, etc.
TEN (10) HORSEPOWER MOTOR LIMIT ON EVERGREEN LAKE- McLean County wishes to offer an atmosphere undisturbed by power boats, shoreline erosion, and lake turbidity which decreases fishery performance.
GATHERING OF FIREWOOD PROHIBITED- This reduces destruction of flora (plants) and insures that there is a proper environment for all types of flora and fauna (animals).
QUIET HOURS 10 PM - 8 AM.
Please leave your County Parks as you would like to find them. Thank you and enjoy!

For more information contact:
McLean County Department of Parks & Recreation
13001 Recreation Area Dr.
Hudson, IL. 61748

Phone: (309) 726-2022 ext.221
Fax: (309) 726-2025
E-mail: parks@mcleancountyil.gov
Old 11-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
It's the same regulation in Illinois State Parks

Section 110.20 Alcoholic Beverages - Possession, Consumption, Influence
It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or consume intoxicating beverages, including beer
or wine in any Department-controlled property which is posted with signs indicating that such
possession or consumption is unlawful.
(Source: Amended at 24 Ill. Reg. 12556, effective August 7, 2000)

That's why many of us switched to "CHOCOLATE MILK"

Thanks to tincanluv

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
The location last year was a real improvement over the previous years so I would vote for having it there again.

It looks like the cancellation policy is the same as before if you did reserve and then couldn't show up. Costs $5.

Fees and Cancellation
CANCELLATION POLICY:
CAMPSITES, CABINS:
Cancellations made prior to the minimum booking window for the facility will be provided a full refund minus the non-refundable $5.00 reservation fee. Cancellations made inside the minimum reservation window, but prior to arrival, will be charged the first nights campsite or cabin use fee as well as the $5.00 reservation fee. All remaining funds will be refunded.
Cancellations (or early departures) made after the scheduled arrival date will be charged for the nights that have passed (or the minimum stay requirement, whichever is greater), plus one additional nights campground or cabin use fee and the $5.00 reservation fee. Any remaining funds will be refunded.
No-shows will be charged the full amount of the campsite/cabin reservation fee and the $5.00 reservation fee, without refund.

Taken from here

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Most state parks forbid alcohol and the few that I've been in that do allow it require that it be restricted to your site. As for the rally location since I'm not sure what my next summers plans are yet I won't vote but I will say that the setup this year was ideal in my opinion.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #11

Fenton , Missouri
I sent an email to Reserve America asking if there is any way we could get a block of sites. They forwarded it to Moraine View and I got an email back today from my friend Mary at the Park who used to take care of the reservations. She said she would look into what they can do for us and would get back to me next week.

I'll let you all know what she says. It really isn't that I don't want others within our group but the reality is you may not mind walking from your trailer to a group site, but trying to pull together tables and do our movie thing might be a lot more difficult. I'm willing to try though if the majority wants to to do the lake front camping. You all will have to step up though and get your reservations in early if you want to be assured of getting those lakefront sites. Depending upon the number of folks reserving that area we will make a determination as to whether we can successfully pull off the pot luck and the movie night.

But for now let's see what Mary can do for us. Maybe I'm worrying too much.....

Jack
AIR #56
Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Westfield , Indiana
Looking forward to reserving as soon as our dates are reservable!
Old 12-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Westfield , Indiana
Thumbs up We are there!

Just reserved site P15 on the lake, coming in on Thursday the 9th, leaving Sunday the 12th. We will be coming from Alumapalooza the previous weekend, so we are pumped. Also, we used to live in Normal, IL, so are looking forward to coming back. Both of our kids were born in Bloomington, IL.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
We just reserved p17. It's the same site we were in last year.
We don't mind walking up the hill if it turns out that the park can reserve a block of sites back in the rally's original location and we'll help with table set up.

Diego, thanks for your post to let us know reservations could be made online now. For some reason I thought it was after the first of the year.

Nancy