Old 06-15-2003, 05:22 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Midwest Rally Recap

Well,

Obviously its been quite a week. We all came back ready to post our thoughts about last weekend Airstreamforums Midwest Rally and kaput!

So I'll try to do a recap and will post the pictures tonight or tomorrow.

As it ended up it was a beautiful weekend starting with some clouds and showers for some of us who departed for Moraine View State Park. We expected 12 units and ended up with an amazing 14 units which included a Classic Motorhome and 4 Argosy's.

Many of the folks brought their kids, & it seems like most of us had a dog or two, or three onboard so all in all it was quite a group. As a matter of fact there seems to be an axiom that says the smaller your trailer the more kids you bring and the size of your dogs also is larger as the trailer gets smaller.

The folks at Moraine View did a good job and we all were camped together in a beautiful tree covered loop. Lots of nice grass, flat sites and a great weather Saturday and Sunday.

Friday was spent getting set up and welcoming everyone coming in. We had some late arrivals and a couple of folks stayed up late to greet the late comers. Saturday was spent socializing and visiting the various units to see what the units looked like on the insides.

I spent most of the day visiting each unit and taking pictures of each unit and their owners. Each unit received their official Airstreamforums magnet depecting the forum logo. My wife Patty made these Thursday evening and most of us found someplace not aluminum to stick them.

Saturday evening was the pot luck and nobody went away hungry. That evening we all sat around a fire and you would have thought we had known each other for years.

Sunday started good with more tours of units and we all eventually packed up for our journey home.

As it ended up in retrospect it was somewhat melencholy for it was the last camping trip for one of our two four legged campers who came with us. For those who remember we had the two small Shitzu-Poo dogs one black (Smokie) and one white (Bandit).

On Wednesday after the campout Smokie became ill and was diagnosed with a Pancreatic tumor or a severe Pancreatic infection. Either way with his age 16+ the vet felt even with heroic measures he probably would not survive. On Thursday we decided to keep him from further suffering. Glad he had one last campout with us but putting him down was very hard to do.

Thank you to everyone who attended. I think we all to a person were in agreement that the rally and the location exceeded our expectations. For those of you who missed this one watch for the next one. Maybe something this fall.

Take care all. Thanks again and I'll get the pictures posted soon.

Regards,

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 05:45 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Brandi and I had a wonderful time. That statement that Jack made about the campfire was beyond true! A big thanks to Jack for keeping it together and for been the "recorder" of events, people, etc.

We can't wait for the next meet!

Regards,

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 06:03 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
Spring Hill , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to gsalmon
Smile Good Rally!

Narda and I also had a good time. It was amazing how well things flowed together and the camaraderie had by all. We can't wait to see the pics.
A well deserved ATTABOY to Jack.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Midwest Rally Recap

The Midwest Rally was truly an enjoyable event. I must admit that I saw more of McLean county than I had since attending Illinois State University at Normal. Moraine View State Park is one of those places that I pass at least a dozen times each year, but had never taken the time to to explore what it had to offer. It will be among the destinations that I consider when looking for a weekend outing.

I will definitely be looking forward to the next Midwest Rally!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 08:54 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
1969 29' Ambassador
Winthrop Harbor , Illinois
Kudos to Jack for an awesome weekend!

Jack, Iam sorry to hear about your dog, I know its hard to lose a family member.
It's always Monday morning,
until it's Friday night - 1985
Cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 10:11 AM   #6

Fenton , Missouri
Thanks for the kind words Curtis. I'm glad you enjoyed the rally.

I started work on the pictures and have got all the people and trailer pictures loaded. I hope to finish the general area, dinner, and campfire pictures today or later on this evening.

I'll post the site once I finish.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-16-2003, 04:32 PM   #7

Fenton , Missouri
Just a note, there are some problems with software that creates thumbnails for the Airstream photos site. Andy has temporarily shut down the upload function until he gets the software restored.

So there will be a small delay before I finish the upload of the Midwest Forums Rally pictures.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-16-2003, 07:14 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Thumbs up Had a great time!

Big thanks to Jack for setting up such a fun filled weekend! And thanks to everyone who attended for helping to make the weekend such a success!

We all had a wonderful time. I asked Will on Father's day who his best friend is? I expected his usual answer,"daddy!" To my surprise he shouted, "Jacob!" (Tim and Laura's little boy) Awww....... Our first "Airstream" outing was a really positive experience and we hope to participate in another in the near future. What a really fun, diverse, and interesting group of people. We were fortunate meet each and every one.

I must admit that coming home posed a bit of a culture shock; we had spent the entire weekend talking to people with one major thing in common; AIRSTREAMIN'! So when we arrived at my dad's house (where we store our little pride and joy) we forgot we were back in Kansas (so to speak) and continued babbling about our Airstream. After about an hour of this, my dad looked at his friend and said, "Will ya listen to these two? They're in love with their camper!" Had to laugh. I guess it would be impossible to walk away from a weekend like that and not have new appreciation. Life as we know it will never be the same. Can we possilby associate with these people who haven't seen the light? I may have to spend some time trying to convert them into one of us.......(evil laugh)

Seriously, now. Thanks again to all and we look forward to seeing you all again soon!
Tracy, Ron and little Will
Old 06-16-2003, 09:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
1969 29' Ambassador
Ron & Tracy:

My younger son Harrison is still talking about the really cool bunk beds. It was great to meet y'all. Hopefully we will see you at the Labor Day Midwest rally at Blackhawk Lake Wisconsin!
Old 06-17-2003, 09:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
1969 29' Ambassador
Talking Airstream life

What a great coincidence!! Tracey has tripped across a great old friend of mine, and it came about because of Airstream!! Life has its great moments, and Tracey is starting to find out one of them! Enjoy Tracey!!
Old 06-18-2003, 12:34 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Great weekend at rallye

We want to thank you, Jack and Patty, for your time and kind attention in making the Forums magnets you passed out, taking the pictures and the nice recap of the weekend. I'm not sure who else had a part in pulling things together but many thanks for your efforts also. It was a great first time A/S experience (both our A/S and a rally) to be part of and to meet such nice people. It was a long drive but we're glad we had the time to do it.

The young children were a pleasure (ours are grown) and the well behaved dogs a treat. We've always known campers to be nice people in general but this group seemed to have something special going on. It really DID seem like long time friends getting together and we are glad we could meet so many of you. (is it always that way?) Ain't life great?!!

Oh, and the choice of Moraine View State Park was a good one. Ike enjoyed his daily 5 mi. walks in the natural setting with deer, rabbits etc., plus TURKEY VULTURES (body don't fail me now!) Looking forward to more adventures? We are too!

A parting note:
Jack and Patty, we are sorry to hear of Smokey's illness and your sad loss. He was a much loved cutie and we know he will be missed.

sue & ike
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:10 AM   #12

Fenton , Missouri
Sue an Ike,

Thanks for your kind words. All of you who attended were the reason it all worked so well. All we did was add a touch of organization...not much though. I still do not have all the pictures up and am awaiting the word from Andy that I can again upload. I have one more person picture to load and then the site view, dinner, and night time campfire pictures to post.

Did all else go well for your first time out? I remember you all were heading for an unexpected trip to the dump station. I didn't ask you, did you make that stop based on your black water tank gauge or was it because of the water level that you observed in the toilet? I though you all felt that the tank had filled way too soon.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-18-2003, 08:20 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Black Tank Capacity

While still at home, my indicator lights showed 1/2. Not wanting to have a partially filled black tank on a 225 mile trip, I got out the blue tank and dumped into it. Only 8 gallons I am assuming my black tank is only around 20 gallons I am not going to try and dump a full black tank into a 22 gallon blue tank to find out.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:54 AM   #14

Fenton , Missouri
Re: Black Tank Capacity

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
I am assuming my black tank is only around 20 gallons I am not going to try and dump a full black tank into a 22 gallon blue tank to find out.
Well what I have learned over the years is to discount the black water indicator and judge from the water level in the tank itself which is easily monitored once you flush the toilet. My indicator has gone south in every trailer I have ever owned after two camping trips. The only time it works is just before we winterize where I flush the tank out throughly.

We have a 39 gallon tank which up to this point gives us 5+ days before we have to dump.

Jack

AIR #56