Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamper View Post
S
Murphysboro is about an hour's drive from Whittington Woods. It's also the home of the 17th Street Bar and Grill owned by BBQ Champ Mike Mills. 17th Street Bar & Grill - Home. When maccamper and I make baked beans for rally potlucks, we're using Mike Mills' recipe from his book, "Peace, Love, & BBQ."

Nancy Mac
Amy bought me this book for Christmas, and I haven't really checked it out too much yet. All focus is being put into the Flying Cloud as I hope to being it on it's first voyage to this rally.

Steve
Old 02-26-2010, 04:31 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Marion , Illinois
There are many things to do around the Whittington area. First of all there is a winery just a couple of miles up the road for all of the wine drinkers. Benton is only a few minutes away with many cool antique stores on the town square. There is plenty of good fishing at Rend Lake and an awesome paved bike trail, horseback riding, hiking trails, and observation decks to watch wildlife. Go to www.rendlake.com for a better explanation of everything that they offer. I believe that you can also rent a jet ski or a pontoon boat if you are interested in getting out on the water. For any of you that golf, there is a pristine 27 hole golf course that is only a couple of minutes from the campground. The town of Benton has a SuperWalmart in case you forget something or need supplies. You can also pick up a fishing license there as well. There are bait shops around the lake if you need fishing supplies. Marion is about 20 minutes away and offers all kinds of shopping and dining. I recommend Walt's pizza, Bennies Italian, or 17th Street BBQ. That is all I can think of for now. If there is something you are interested in some other type of activity, I can probably tell you if we have it or not so let me know. We missed this rally last year because our trailer was not yet ready, so we are really excited about attending this year.
64CardsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Anjo's Pizza in Sesser is awesome! Also in Sesser is the Custard Spot. Best ice cream anywhere.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Aloha;

We really want to go! Had a great time last year. But Pete is probably going to be working Friday and Saturday. If I drive "Blue Skyz" to Rend Lake on Friday afternoon would someone help me park? Or park for me as I will probably melt down at the wheel?
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
Aloha;

We really want to go! Had a great time last year. But Pete is probably going to be working Friday and Saturday. If I drive "Blue Skyz" to Rend Lake on Friday afternoon would someone help me park? Or park for me as I will probably melt down at the wheel?
Of course we will. In fact, I haven't been to a rally yet where a bunch of people haven't gathered around to help a person park. You CAN do it, but we help if you have a meltdown .

Hope to see you there.

Steve
Old 02-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
All righty then, sign us up.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Just give a call to Mary at the campground whenever your free time allows you to. Camp sites are first come first served, and they are putting you on whatever site you want (as long as your rig and tow vehicle will fit).

Steve
Old 02-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
I got a spot, #79 which is adjacent to the loop you are all going to be in. But it's a pull thru!!!! cause I'm a chicken and didn't want to worry about parking the whole time I was driving there. Now I get to concentrate on worrying about driving!
Old 02-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Nice...now you don't need to worry about anything. We'll even help hook you up and get leveled, but the the sites are pretty level already.

Steve
Old 03-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
So.. What's for dinner Saturday night?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Good question. I was thinking about a way to get my trailer smoker out there somehow, and have a big BBQ that evening. Since I don't want to make a 4 way trip to bring it, perhaps I will do bowl smoked shrimp, and something in my smaller smoker like a pork loin.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:39 AM   #32
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
Hey, can we attend??

we are members of the Texas Highland Lakes Unit and the 4CU and we will be on our journey up the Mississippi river and we can take a side trip for this rally//// Who do I call for reservations and such...sounds like fun
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Call Mary at Whittington Woods 618-435-3401
Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
we are members of the Texas Highland Lakes Unit and the 4CU and we will be on our journey up the Mississippi river and we can take a side trip for this rally//// Who do I call for reservations and such...sounds like fun
Greetings,

It looks like McAir has provided you with Mary's contact info. Glad to see someone is coming from the great Republic of Texas. I was at the Texas Vintage Rally last month, and I am very good friends with many people in that unit. If you were at the vintage rally this year or last, I bet we ran into one another!

See you in May.

Steve
Old 03-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Fontana , Wisconsin
Hi !, Is there any tent camping allowed any where for the Rend Lake Rally ? We are searching for a Airstream trailer!! Thanks GK.
GKIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Yes to tent camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKIRON View Post
Hi !, Is there any tent camping allowed any where for the Rend Lake Rally ? We are searching for a Airstream trailer!! Thanks GK.

Yes! Whittington Woods Campground has tent sites with water and electric hook ups and tent sites with no hook ups. Link to campground Whittington Woods Campground at Benton (formerly Benton Best Holiday Trav-L-Park).

Nancy Mac
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Thanks Nancy,

The campground has very nice camping spots, and you will be very happy. The trees should provide a nice canopy by then, and there should be plenty of lush comfy grass for your tent.

See you in May.

Steve
Old 03-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
Hoping we can go this year. (crossing fingers)

How many spots you got left Steve?

Thanks,
Cory
airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Cory,

Right now there should be plenty of spots open. The park is becoming more popular though as the new owners put a great deal of $ and effort into it. Hope you can make it this year, and enjoy the great times with us.

Steve
Old 03-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Less than two months until the rally. The weather in the area has been amazing the last few days, and will be no doubt superb for the rally. About a month out I will add a list for the potluck to be held on Saturday evening. We plan to dine at the pavilion each evening if others care to join us.

Plenty of room at the campground still, but I was told that they have been taking a lot of reservations lately. Make your reservations now, and cancel if you can't make it later!

So far there are no other kids scheduled to attend, so I will be nixing the kid activities for the time being. I plan to ask Overlander 64 to bring his huge coffee maker for each morning at the pavilion. I believe we have some Silver Joe's product that we can bring along.

I am looking for a nice logo to make my rally button magnets, and possibly name tags like last year.

Steve

Tags
airstream, midwest, rally, rend lake