Old 02-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Brian,

That was a Bacon Explosion. Search the term and you will find hundreds of variations. Over the bacon weave you smear pork sausage. Then top the sausage with fried bacon bits, BBQ sauce, and BBQ seasoning. Roll it up, smoke it, eat it, and die from a coronary. You only live once right?

Perhaps I will make another one this year for Saturday night.

Steve
Steve does something pretty cool with shrimp and a couple of metal bowls, too.

Sure sorry we'll miss the rally. We'll be in Claremore, OK that weekend. Whittington Woods is one of our favorite places to camp.

Nancy Mac

Old 02-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKIRON View Post
Hello, About how many trailers attend this event? Also can you view these private trailers? Just starting to look and see different ones, before we make a purchase. Lots to learn. Thanks! G.
Last year's rally is how we all met AirForums member, mcair. They drove over for the day when they heard about the Airstream rally at Whittington Woods. They were looking for an Airstream and doing their research. They toured the trailers during the open house, talked to folks, stayed for the potluck dinner, and left us some sweet rolls for breakfast the next morning. If I remember correctly, by the time we saw them again at the Moraine View Rally in June, they had found their Airstream.

Nancy Mac

Old 02-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamper View Post
Last year's rally is how we all met AirForums member, mcair. They drove over for the day when they heard about the Airstream rally at Whittington Woods. They were looking for an Airstream and doing their research. They toured the trailers during the open house, talked to folks, stayed for the potluck dinner, and left us some sweet rolls for breakfast the next morning. If I remember correctly, by the time we saw them again at the Moraine View Rally in June, they had found their Airstream.

Nancy Mac
I just think that McAir saw how much fun we were having, and decided that they just had to be a part of it. 2-3 weeks later..POOF, their Starcraft was transformed into an Airstream.

Steve
Old 02-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
It was more like 5 or 6 weeks.

I am still surprised how fast we sold that Starcraft. It is now on a seasonal lot not far away making a retired couple very happy. We had just found the forums a couple of months before last years rally. Since it was only 1 1/2 hours away we decided to drive by not knowing what kind of event it was. We weren't sure if it was open to the public or not but we decided to go anyway. Not much lost if they didn't let us in we figured since we love visiting that area anyway. Even if they did let us see the trailers we really thought we would be home by dinner time. We got home at midnight!

Not only did they let us see all of the trailers, they included us as if we were old friends. They made us stay for dinner, have lots of fun and learn all we could in one day about shopping for an Airstream. We learned about rear end separation. We learned to look for leaks. (Airstreams Leak!? We had been told that they didn't)
After completely rebuilding 1/3 of our Starcraft we weren't in the mood to deal with leaks.

Thanks to our new Airstream friends we knew what to look for when our neighbor told us about an Airstream he had spotted for sale just a few miles away. The funny part is that I was loading the Starcraft to go to our 2nd rally at Whittington when I had the chance to speak to the neighbor!

Now, less than a year later we are enjoying Rocket and also looking for another. Yes, Roger has caught the vintage bug! Beware where Airstream fever can take you.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I will be close to your rally the month before. I will be in Anna, Il the first week of April with my airstream. I will also be there sometime this summer with the airstream. Someday it will work out that I will be there when you folks will have a get together.

Brian
Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
The Atomic Home in Murphysboro

So last year I posted information about "The Atomic Home" located in Benton, IL very near Whittington Woods. The Atomic Home has some really cool 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's stuff and it's the real stuff -- not new copies. Much to our disappointment, when we drove to Benton before the rally we learned that The Atomic Home had moved and we didn't know where.

Well, they are now in Murphysboro, IL on Walnut Street, a main street through downtown. Here's a link to a recent article in The Southern Illinoisan about the business and their new location Decorating with retro style

It appears that The Atomic Home website is a work in progress because the pictures don't come close to showing their full product inventory. theatomichome.net. We have found some cool things in their shops through the years.

Murphysboro is about an hour's drive from Whittington Woods. It's also the home of the 17th Street Bar and Grill owned by BBQ Champ Mike Mills. 17th Street Bar & Grill - Home. When maccamper and I make baked beans for rally potlucks, we're using Mike Mills' recipe from his book, "Peace, Love, & BBQ."

Lake Murphysboro State Park is also nearby if you wanted to check it out while you're in that neck of the woods anyway. DNR

Nancy Mac
Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamper View Post
S
Murphysboro is about an hour's drive from Whittington Woods. It's also the home of the 17th Street Bar and Grill owned by BBQ Champ Mike Mills. 17th Street Bar & Grill - Home. When maccamper and I make baked beans for rally potlucks, we're using Mike Mills' recipe from his book, "Peace, Love, & BBQ."

Nancy Mac
Amy bought me this book for Christmas, and I haven't really checked it out too much yet. All focus is being put into the Flying Cloud as I hope to being it on it's first voyage to this rally.

Steve
Old 02-26-2010, 05:31 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Marion , Illinois
There are many things to do around the Whittington area. First of all there is a winery just a couple of miles up the road for all of the wine drinkers. Benton is only a few minutes away with many cool antique stores on the town square. There is plenty of good fishing at Rend Lake and an awesome paved bike trail, horseback riding, hiking trails, and observation decks to watch wildlife. Go to www.rendlake.com for a better explanation of everything that they offer. I believe that you can also rent a jet ski or a pontoon boat if you are interested in getting out on the water. For any of you that golf, there is a pristine 27 hole golf course that is only a couple of minutes from the campground. The town of Benton has a SuperWalmart in case you forget something or need supplies. You can also pick up a fishing license there as well. There are bait shops around the lake if you need fishing supplies. Marion is about 20 minutes away and offers all kinds of shopping and dining. I recommend Walt's pizza, Bennies Italian, or 17th Street BBQ. That is all I can think of for now. If there is something you are interested in some other type of activity, I can probably tell you if we have it or not so let me know. We missed this rally last year because our trailer was not yet ready, so we are really excited about attending this year.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Anjo's Pizza in Sesser is awesome! Also in Sesser is the Custard Spot. Best ice cream anywhere.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Aloha;

We really want to go! Had a great time last year. But Pete is probably going to be working Friday and Saturday. If I drive "Blue Skyz" to Rend Lake on Friday afternoon would someone help me park? Or park for me as I will probably melt down at the wheel?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
Aloha;

We really want to go! Had a great time last year. But Pete is probably going to be working Friday and Saturday. If I drive "Blue Skyz" to Rend Lake on Friday afternoon would someone help me park? Or park for me as I will probably melt down at the wheel?
Of course we will. In fact, I haven't been to a rally yet where a bunch of people haven't gathered around to help a person park. You CAN do it, but we help if you have a meltdown .

Hope to see you there.

Steve
Old 02-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
All righty then, sign us up.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Just give a call to Mary at the campground whenever your free time allows you to. Camp sites are first come first served, and they are putting you on whatever site you want (as long as your rig and tow vehicle will fit).

Steve
Old 02-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
I got a spot, #79 which is adjacent to the loop you are all going to be in. But it's a pull thru!!!! cause I'm a chicken and didn't want to worry about parking the whole time I was driving there. Now I get to concentrate on worrying about driving!

Tags
airstream, midwest, rally, rend lake