Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2002, 11:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
midwest rally

Following up on Shari's excellent suggestion, I'm posting an invitation to respond about having a Forum rally somewhere near Jackson Center, OH. If there is enough interest, I will try to set up a tour of the A/S factory as part of the rally. There are a couple of state parks in the area. One, Indian Lake, has over 400 sites. I'd guess it's pretty popular on summer weekends, but maybe Spring, Fall or Winter would be more open. Campsites cost $17-27/night (2002 fees). Below is a clip about the area from the Ohio DNR page on this campground (http://www.ohiodnr.com/parks/parks/indianlk.htm). What they don't mention is that Bellefontaine is the site of the first concrete roadway in the U.S., something we A/Srs have benefitted by!

Let us know whether you are interested in this rally and suggest a season or month that would be good for you. Also whether you are confined to a weekend rally.

Eugenie

Area Attractions
Located six miles east of Bellefontaine on S.R. 540, Zane Caverns feature illuminated two-level caves. The caves are known for the formation of "cave pearls." Ohio Caverns, three miles east of West Liberty on S.R. 245, is the largest of all Ohio caves. Exquisite crystal-white stalactite/stalagmite formations are found in great profusion and artistic settings. Both Zane Caverns and Ohio Caverns charge a small admission.

Mad River Mountain ski area is located five miles east of Bellefontaine on U.S. 33. Horse rentals are available at Marmon Valley Farms on U.S. 33.

The Piatt Castles, Mac-A-Cheek and Mac-O-Chee, are located near West Liberty on S.R. 245. Built by the Piatt family after the Civil War, the houses are noted for their architecture, furnishings and collection of Indian relics.

West of Indian Lake are Lake Loramie and Grand Lake St. Marys state parks. Both feature camping and water related recreation. Northeast of the park are Killdeer Plains and Big Island wildlife areas operated by the Division of Wildlife. Both areas offer hunting and bird watching opportunities. Gross Woods, a state nature preserve operated by the Division of Natural Areas and Preserves, is one of the least disturbed woods in west-central Ohio.
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 11:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Midwest rally

Hi Eugenie, we'd be interested in a rally and tour. Weekend would be better. I know the factory site says they do tours on weekdays, so maybe shoot for that on a Friday? Keep us posted!

Thanks,
Jason
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 12:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Midwest Rally

Greetings Eugenie!

If the Rally fell on a date outside of the school year where I teach, I would definitely be interested. My open dates would be basically from the first weekend in June through the second or third week in August. I missed the tour of the Airstream plant when I attended the WBCCI International Rally in Dayton (1999), and I would really like to take the plant tour. Jackson Center is a bit more than 500 miles from me so it wouldn't be practical to travel that distance with the Airstream during the school year.

One suggestion might be to try for the weekend before or after the Region 4 WBCCI Rally.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 04:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I'm In!

If it after April 1, it would be better for me and my wife. End of week/weekend or weekend/beginning of week would be great. I am about 3.5-4.0 hours from Jackson Center.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 09:13 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Midwest Rally

Quite honestly I would be hesitant to come if we were using an unreserved public facility. Its too many miles to drive only find the campground either full, or sites that are not together with the group. We have some nice state parks in Missouri but I wouldn't select one for a rally due to the uncertainty of available sites.

I would pay the $$ to use a private campground knowing that a spot was waiting for me.

Weekends would not be good if you are planning a plant tour. I wonder what A/S would think of using their facility? I think they have at least 4 wagon wheel full hookup areas at the Service Center.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 04:20 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Wayne County , Michigan
reserved camping

Good catch Jack. My wife caught that last night too, Ohio doesn't have reserved State Park camping that we know of. I know there are some nice county parks not to far to the north/nortwest, I think, have to find out from my parents(they've been there) as to the reservation thing. Any ideas Eugenie?

Jason
Old 10-31-2002, 04:58 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
reserved campsites

Here is what the Ohio DNR page on Indian Lake says about camping:

There are 443 family campsites suitable for tents or trailers on the northwest section of the lakeshore. The scenic campground offers electric hookups for most sites, heated shower houses, flush toilets, laundry facility and camp commissary. A beach, boat ramp and boat docks are provided for exclusive camper use. A limited number of pet camping sites are available. The park's group camp area may be reserved by advanced registration. Twenty boat camping spaces are also available.

Two camper cabin units are available to rent. One unit sleeps six, and one sleeps four. Equipment provided includes a microwave oven, gas grill with propane tank, refrigerator, window air conditioner, ceiling fan with light, table and two chairs, and two futons. The units can be reserved by calling the park office at (937) 843-2717. A non-refundable deposit equaling the first night's fee is required at the time of reservation.

I could reserve the group camp area. Also, if there are folks who are still looking for an A/S, but haven't yet found one by the time we rally, they would have the possibility of renting a camper cabin unit.

Please understand that I'm not opposed to a private campground, but personally prefer the ambiance of state campgrounds. I'll follow whatever the majority wants. Also, it doesn't look like we would have a huge number of attendees, but maybe we're too early in the game to tell.

Kevin, you suggested a weekend before or after the Region 4 rally. I'm not a member of WBCCC. Could you please tell me/us when that is so that we can all consider whether that would fit into our respective schedules? Thanks.

Eugenie
Old 10-31-2002, 07:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
midwest rally

Greetings Eugenie!

I don't believe that the final date has been set, at least not according to what is currently listed on the WBCCI homepage. The 2002 Region 4 Rally was May 29 through June 2 and was held in Van Wert, OH.

Based on what was mentioned at last year's rally, I would suspect that it will probably take place either May 21 through 26 or May 28 through June 1. I am not located in Region 4, but do enjoy attending their rally as it is usually on my first weekend following the end of the school year.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 07:02 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Wayne County , Michigan
Any Movement on this?

Haven't heard anything about this one lately, anybody still interested? My wife has been asking me about it, so I thought I'd bring it back up.
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Old 01-08-2003, 12:43 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Ohio ralley

We are planning to spend some time at the family farm near Ridgeway, 18 miles from Jackson Center, in July and August. We were there in late October and early November last year. We stayed October 31st (Halloween) at a KOA in Wapakoneta (on Cemetery Road). They welcome groups, seem to have quite a few spaces and are about 12 miles from Jackson Center. The park owners own an Airstream which was for sale when we were there.

e-mail is WapakonetaOH@mykoa.com and they re-open February 24th.
dienst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:03 PM   #11
rdm
2 Rivet Member

Angry rally in Ohio

We would be interested in attending your rally.
July or August would work best for us or late June.
The KOA mentioned is excellent we stay there when travelling south on I - 75.
Thanks
Ray And Evelyn
rdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:05 PM   #12
rdm
2 Rivet Member

Talking Sorry about the sad face

Sorry about the sad face some how my Bifocals must need adjustment.
Ray
rdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 02:44 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
let's plan

Hi.
I'm the person who proposed this gathering. I was waiting until a couple of people worked out their schedules. My own is pretty complicated until late June, then I'll be more or less free until mid-August. If I can get some other statements about available dates, I can start some planning.

The main event I had proposed was a tour of the Jackson Center plant. That has to take place on a weekday. Are there other events in the area people might be interested in and have info on?

Eugenie
Old 01-10-2003, 11:03 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Plant tour

When we were there in November we were told that, even though there is a tour every weekday, Friday is not good. The tour starts at 2:00 PM but on Friday the manufacturing personnel go home at 3:00 PM.
dienst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Prairie Village , Kansas
Future rally - plant tour in Jackson Square

I think a trip to the plant sounds great!!!!!
iairstreamKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Alumapalooza

You might want to consider going to the Alumapalooza and combining it with your trip. Jackson Center and Airstream Life Magazine and others are having a big Alumapalooza from June 1-6th. It will be set up with lots of activities, seminars, tours, and the JC street fair. Maybe some of you havae missed the thread and discussion. Here is the link! http://www.airforums.com/forums/f290...tml#post772234

Ohio State Parks do have reservation lines and you can reserve online as well. They do not take reservations during the winter months. You are on your own to find one that is open in winter. Ohio State Parks - Campgrounds

I can recommend Grand Lake St. Mary State Park which is not too far nw of Jackson Center. A beautiful place to camp with nice facilities and right on the water.
Good luck on your planning.

Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
JC area

There are tons of things to do in the area of Jackson Center. Bicycle Museum at New Bremen, Wapakoneta-Neil Armstrong museum, lots of great restaurants etc. There are a bunch of threads if you do a search of the recommendations of all the other forums members.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #18
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
You might Ck out Poor Farmers Canpground in Flecher OH. Located about 20 miles from J.C. on Oh Rt 36. H2O and Elect only but many nice big sites and several covered privelions for groups.
H2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
facilities

The Silver Sisters first "We can tow it" rally was held at Poor Farmers a few years ago. The parking is easy, but it is on grass...just a big field with electric run to sites. The pavilions were minimal at that time. The restrooms and showers were basic...not the best but not the worst we have ever been to. The little one lane bridge to get into our area was a little scarey for the gals that needed to go and get to the dump station. But the folks there were friendly and accomodating and we had a great time.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2