Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2003, 01:52 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Thumbs up Midwest Forums Rally 2004

OK folks, we are setting the date and location.

June 11, 12, 13th (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) 2004

Moraine View
State Recreation Area (Gander Bay Campground)
27374 Moraine View Park Rd.
LeRoy, IL 61752

The location is near Bloomington Illinois and if you go to the map link below you will find major interstate highway access from all directions.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...submit=Get+Map

Directions to the campground are on the Moraine View website link below.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...HTM#Directions

We will be staying in the Gander Bay campground. All sites have electric. There is fresh water supplies scattered within the campground and there is a bath house. There is also a dump station.

Note that reservations are by mail only. I have already checked and very few people have reserved on this weekend. There are 61 sites. Here is the link to the reservation form.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...rvcamprsvp.pdf

Note that if you mark your reservation "Airstream Group", they will try to keep us all next to each other. When you fill out the form send $20 for your first night's reservation. Additional nights will be $15 and will be collected by park personnel upon your arrival at the campground.

Those who want to arrive earlier or stay later can adjust their dates on their reservation form.

Since this is a public facility and not far from some major metropolitan areas, space will be limited. There is no doubt that the campgrounds will be full if you wait until a week or two before reserving. Get your reservations mailed early! You will receive a written confirmation from the park.

Hope to see you there and let us know if you make a reservation.

Regards,

Jack

Mark your reservation "Airstream Group"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the July rally will be something special. My plans are to stay at a private campground, Mill Creek, in Mackinaw City Michigan. This one will be a weeklong rally although you can stay for more or less time if need be. Travel time will be reserved for the weekends so many of us may not be arriving until Sunday and will depart the following Saturday. These will be full hookup sites (yea!) so no need to tote water or worry about your holding tanks. The campground has a view of Mackinac Island and the bridge. Water is cold but there is a swiming pool and playground for the kids.

I need to call the campground and make some preliminary arangements. Date wise I am looking at arrival on Sunday July 11th and departure July 17th. Cost for the campground is $27 (for 3 persons) daily exclusive of any taxes. There is additional per person charges (in excess of 3) of $2 per day. Kids under 5 are free.

We have a couple of ways of doing this. Once I let you know that this is a go, you can mail me your deposit and I will make a group reservation. Those of us in that initial reservation will be guaranteed sites next to each other. Those who need to reserve later can reserve individually (I will give you our group name), you will note our group name on the reservation form and the park will attempt to park you next to the initial group or as close as possible.

Lots to do in the area, weather is usually excellent, warm days cool nights. There is an Internet cafe, so those of you wanting email and/or forum time will have access for your laptop, or you can use theirs. Let me know what you think and if you are interested in this particular rally.

For those of you wanting to browse the area, the web site for the campground is www.campmackinaw.com

Please do not make any reservations until we hammer out the details for Mill Creek Campground.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 07:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Midwest Rally 2004

Greetings Jack!

You can count me among those interested in the June Rally. I will be on the road heading for Alaska during the July Rally. I won't know for several weeks whether I will be out of school for the Summer by the first weekend mentioned; but at this point it looks like either should be workable.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 07:32 AM   #3

Fenton , Missouri
Thanks Kevin for reminding me about school. That first weekend for June might be a problem for those with kids. I might try for that second weekend on the 12th instead.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 12-31-2003, 08:21 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Count me in for the July rally. May not stay all week but will be there for most of it.
Jim
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 03:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
I look forward to the June rally but not sure if I will be able to make the July one.
Thanks for planing it Jack and have a happy and safe new year
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 09:23 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Count us in!

We're definitely in for the June weekend and possibly even the week in July.

We're really looking forward to it!
hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:30 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Send a message via Yahoo to tnsue
Thumbs up

Oh my gosh. This sounds great for a first time out with my Air Stream. Thank you Jack for taking so much time to plan this get together. I am taking a lot for granted, I live m in Middle Tennesse, is that close enough to the Midwest group to be able to attend?

Just purchased a 1995 Excella and hoping to try it out around here a few weekends to see how she and I get a long and then plan to pull to your party. Just went through a divorce of a 27 year marriage and really need to get out and see people having fun. Gota get a tow vehicle and then I'm on my way

Sue
tnsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:31 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN

Heck, I guess I could make both if I can learn how to tow this thing without clearing out the whole highway on the way. Nothing to hold me back now but me!!! I was thinking about the July meeting since I have a very dear friend in Toledo who has been very sick and I know she would really enjoy a trip such as this. I could pick her up and bring her on. That is if I can meneauver through all the cities between here and there. An all points bulletin would be appropriate warning travelers of my presence me thinks.
I have been reading this forum for months and have become enamored by your name, Silvertwinkie. Think it's cool.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:50 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Lightbulb

Good idea.
Last January pulled a 4 horse trailer with one momma, and three babies, to NM. Stayed at two horse motels on the way, pulled around Dallas but all I had to do was go straight. Did not have to back up thank goodness. Only trouble had was trying to get those durn babies back in the trailer the next morning. Sure didn't want to go for another long ride trying to stand up.

Will check out a u-haul here and a few curbs. Thanks for the idea.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:24 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Unhappy

Sorry about that. But maybe it is good. With .org you will look much more important to some eyes.

I will watch for it.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:48 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN

You can type sitting on your keyboard????

What talent.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:53 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Midwest Rally 2004

Greetings Sue!

Welcome to the world of Airstreaming!

Don't let your rig intimidate you. You have lots of company among the Free Wheelers (a WBCCI Intra-Club for single Airstream owners). There are numerous little hints and tricks that the Free Wheelers have learned and shared about the experience of Airstreaming solo. Probably one of the most universally suggested is a mirror system to aid in the hitching process. There are two examples with which I am familiar:

One Shot Trailer Hitch Alignment Mirror

The Hitch Spotter Hitch Alignment Mirror

I have used the Hitch Spotter for more than 20 years, and am satisfied with the unit. If I were to purchase a new mirror today, I would probably go with the One Shot as it is a bit more versatile.

You are on the right track in your search for an appropriate tow vehicle. There are any number of 3/4-ton based pickups/SUVs that would be a good match for your 28' Excella. A good weight distributing hitch with sway control and a good set of trailer towing mirrors and you will be ready to begin the adventure.

When I first started towing a travel trailer in 1980, I arranged with a local school district to practice maneuvering in their gravel parking lot - - since it was in mid-summer, they asked that I not use the blacktop lot as the scrubbing of the trailer tires might damage the surface. Several Rubbermaid trash cans or a few highway cones can be utilized to simulate objects that you want to maneuver through or back around. I still limit my backing to only instances where it cannot be avoided, but I have towed my Overlander through virtually every city in the upper Midwest - - the only one of which that I avoid if at all possible is Chicago (happens to be my hometown, and I try to utilize only mass transit when traveling there).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 09:21 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Question

Kevin, how did you know I had been wondering how I was going to hitch my trailer to my tow vehicle without help??? The question had not materilized in my brain yet to ask on this forum such a question. I had no earthly idea such a contraption existed but thanks to you, I do now.

I will check into your suggestion and certainly take advantage of everything I can learn for this forum. I had been looking at a 5th wheel before I purchased the AS and at least you can see the hitch if you turn your head far enough. Very hard if you have a stiff neck but it can be done.

Sue
Old 01-03-2004, 10:12 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Question

Have a question that has nothing to do with this thread.

What do the initials WBCCI stand for? Hate to be ignorant but all of this RVing is just about 9 months old for me so I am far behind in my knowledge base.

Sue
Old 01-05-2004, 08:43 AM   #15

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by tnsue

Oh my gosh. This sounds great for a first time out with my Air Stream. Thank you Jack for taking so much time to plan this get together. I am taking a lot for granted, I live m in Middle Tennesse, is that close enough to the Midwest group to be able to attend?
Sue
Sue, we will be delighted to have you join us. There really are no geographical boundarys or restrictions on who can attend. I call this the Midwest Forums rally since most attendees will be driving from this part of the country.

If you do come to the June rally, we do have electric but please be aware that there are no direct water or sewer hookups. Some folks ran a long hose to the nearest water supply when they emptied their freshwater holding tank prematurely. Make sure your new trailer's water and sewage holding facilities are in working order. There are a couple of dump stations in the park so you will have no problem disposing on the way out.

July will be full hookups so as long as your water system holds pressure, you will be in good shape. All kinds of "experts" will be at both rally's so we will be happy to give you our "advice" on your new trailer.

Hope to see you there, watch for further announcements as we pull the arrangements together.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 01-05-2004, 08:31 PM   #16
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Count us in for Moraine View...

Hi, Jack & all!

Better late than never... We'll do our best to make it to Moraine this year. Doubt we'll be able to make the July trip... too short staffed, but we'll see.

Eric... I'm a little disappointed that you're planning on doing a 'crude' website; I'm surprised that Brandi would tolerate you being 'crude'. However, I guess one can't expect much more from a guy who tows with a Chevy... and an IMPALA at that! <heavy sneer>

Actually, Eric, it'll be fun to get together with you guys now that you've got a REAL trailer!!! <grin, grin, grin>

Looking forward to seeing everyone in June!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:37 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Speaking of CRUDE........

QUOTE]Originally posted by 85MH325

Actually, Eric, it'll be fun to get together with you guys now that you've got a REAL trailer!!! <grin, grin, grin>

Roger
[/QUOTE]

I just read this post about Eric's "REAL trailer!!!".........

I WOULD assume that a Real Trailer, considering this is the Airstream forum, would be an Airstream as opposed to SOB.
But the fact that Eric's "Fake" trailer was an Airstream, I'm left with this conclusion: this is a SIZE issue.

Roger......Is that a 34 foot trailer in your (you know the rest)

Ron is feeling very inadequite with our Minuet.

Hey Roger! So happy to see you're going to make it to the Rally! Maybe this time around I can taste some wine with everyone.
hotLAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 04:01 PM   #18
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Size DOES matter!!!

See, Tracy, I TOLD you SO!!!!

It'll be great to get together with you guys again! We're looking forward to it...

BTW, are YOU bringing the pillows this time?????

Roger
Old 01-07-2004, 08:12 PM   #19
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Talking So... this begs the response:

Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Size is a factor, no doubt, but it's the motion of the ocean that dictates if a ship will sink or stay afloat.

Remember, amateurs built an ark....... professionals built the Titanic.......
Eric... the appropriate response for this would be:

"Whatever floats your boat?"

Roger
Old 01-20-2004, 02:27 PM   #20

Fenton , Missouri
Exclamation Midwest Rally Information for 2004

OK folks, we are setting the date and location.

June 11, 12, 13th (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) 2004

Moraine View
State Recreation Area (Gander Bay Campground)
27374 Moraine View Park Rd.
LeRoy, IL 61752

The location is near Bloomington Illinois and if you go to the map link below you will find major interstate highway access from all directions.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...submit=Get+Map

Directions to the campground are on the Moraine View website link below.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...HTM#Directions

We will be staying in the Gander Bay campground. All sites have electric. There is fresh water supplies scattered within the campground and there is a bathouse. There is also a dump station.

Note that reservations are by mail only. I have already checked and very few people have reserved on this weekend. There are 61 sites. Here is the link to the reservation form.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...rvcamprsvp.pdf

Note that if you mark your reservation "Airstream Group", they will try to keep us all next to each other. When you fill out the form send $16 for your first night's reservation. Additional nights will be $11 and will be collected by park personnel upon your arrival at the campground.

Those who want to arrive earlier or stay later can adjust their dates on their reservation form.

Since this is a public facility and not far from some major metropolitan areas, space will be limited. There is no doubt that the campgrounds will be full if you wait until a week or two before reserving. Get your reservations mailed early! You will receive a written confirmation from the park.

Hope to see you there and let us know if you make a reservation.

Regards,

Jack

Mark your reservation "Airstream Group"
AIR #56 S/OS#15