Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2003, 08:56 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Midwest Rally 2004

Hey Folks! The wheels are starting to turn, albeit very slowly, to thoughts of a week long rally for next year. Obviously since we would be staying a week, the location should be great with things to do for the family plus being at a campground with hookups and other ammenities.

I've already received a suggestion to consider Mackinaw City, at the tip of Michigan. A great weather city, cool temps, water, a campsite view of Mackinaw Island, full hookups, and lots of things to do. Cost would be (based on this year) $24-$29 a day.

I'm not sure how we would do the reservations at this point, I'd have to talk to the campground but I'd like to see if you all have interest in me pursuing this.

Again this isn't a site that is handy for all of us. It's a 2 day drive for us from St. Louis but we could caravan up together. One thought might be meeting at the Benton Harbor Mi., KOA and caravaning up from there.

I'm open for suggestions but as we did last time, only one place wins and if it ends up that we have no strong feelings from the group then the person who does the organization probably will make the final decision.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Midwest Rally 2004

Greetings Jack!

The Rally sounds great, but I doubt that I will be able to attend as the Summer of 2004 is pretty well booked for me. I have already made tenative plans to participate in a Caravan from June 15 through June 25 - - then the WBCCI International Rally from June 25 through July 5 - - and the finale being tentative plans for a trip to Alaska with departure on July 5. Even without adding anything more, timing will be crucial as my last day of school for the 2004 school year will likely be during the first week of June.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 09:14 PM   #3

Fenton , Missouri
I understand. One thing I have to keep in mind is that the International will be in Lansing Michigan and if I remember we do get close to that city on the journey north. That event can affect the campgrounds in route so we will have to be cognative of the dates we choose and the dates of the International.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-14-2003, 07:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Sounds do-able

Hi Jack,

That sounds like a rally we could participate in. Are you considering a private or State campground? Michigan State Parks allow reservations to be made 6 months to the day in advance. Just an F.Y.I. What is everyone interested in doing in the line of activities?
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 11:22 AM   #5

Fenton , Missouri
Jason, right now I'm considering a private facility. With the extended stay I want everyone to be able to have water and sewer hook ups. Its a lot more fun that way. Most state facilities are quite limited on these type of facilities.

Quite honestly I'm still sticking with the concept of keeping it simple (no WBCCI type functions), so its important that there are things for the kids to do, places to see etc. We could organize some common activities but again that may be as much letting everyone know we are going to Mackinaw Island on a specific day, we can drive together and the traditional pot luck.

The important thing is that when you have kids with you, a schedule sometimes is a real pain. So we are keeping things low key.

Again this is really early in the process so not much yet to tell everyone. I'm just trying to get a pulse to see if the interest is there.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-14-2003, 12:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Wayne County , Michigan
I was thinking along those lines. I can't rememeber, but I think the beaches are better on the Lake Michigan side of Straits vs. Lake Huron (it's been a couple years since I've been up there). I do know the beaches by Brevort along 2 are great! The Soo Locks and stuff are only a 45-60min. drive from there too. Thinking from a kid friendly perspective...
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
Old 07-14-2003, 12:52 PM   #7

Fenton , Missouri
From what I remember the water is pretty cold up there year round. I don't remember anyone swimming. The site I'm considering has a pool. Here is a link to the web page for the campground. http://www.campmackinaw.com/home.htm

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-14-2003, 01:33 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It sounds good to me, but who knows as we draw closer where we will all be..... I've been up in that area once and it is very beautiful, but it is a trek for a good number of folks. If it takes some 2 days to get there and two days back plus a good week there, most might need to take more than a week of vacation to be able to make it. This doesn't shy me off, just a thought that passed as I read this....

I was thinking we could even take the ferry across Lake Michigan. I think if I went that is what I might do if the Bambi fit. With the new vessels they are talking about putting into service, it could cut the trip time in half for us and I could say that not only have I taken my boat out on Lake Michigan, but the Bambi as well!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 02:04 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Wayne County , Michigan
Not that far for people attending the International as Jack mentioned. Might get a few of "Eastern" Midwestern Members to attend.

As far as the Ferry goes, check the fares. We were going to do that to attend the VAC Rally in Sheboygan. Needless to say, with 5 people, a truck and 30' rig, it became VERY cost prohibitive!

For anybody coming from the west, there would be the option of cutting through the U.P. and being able to take in some of the sights like Big Spring, Fayette State Park etc.
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
Old 07-14-2003, 03:03 PM   #10

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
I was thinking we could even take the ferry across Lake Michigan.

Eric
Yes it is a drive and it would be a major commitment of time. For some of us this would be considered our summer vacation which truly be a committment of more than 11 days. Maybe we could have two plans available, one with 7 days of camping and maybe one with 5 days. That could accomodate those who have less time available although if you are a 2 day drive, you still have almost a 9 day total commitment.

I remember taking a ferry from Milwaukee Wi., to Musgegon Mi., back when I was a kid. From what I remember it seemed like it took the better part of the day from loading of our car to unload. This was around 1957 and things have changed from there.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-14-2003, 07:01 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I looked into it today. It takes off from a bit further north and it takes about 2 hours.

The cost however with trailer is a bit steep.

I agree that there should be two seperate rallys. One for the hearty (like the proposed) of about 11 days and one that is again centrally located (but for an extended weekend like an arrival on a Friday and stay Sat, Sun and leave Monday) in either central or southern Illinois, central or southern Indiana and possibly western and central or western and southern Ohio (Homecoming-- hint hint??).

Anyway that's my .02 FWIW.

Eric
Old 07-14-2003, 08:07 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Wayne County , Michigan
It's nice up there in July. Swimming is definetly possible in July. Especially if you trekked to some nice sandy beach! Lake Superior on the otherhand induces some serious shivering, 55 degree water is TOO refreshing!

My wife mentioned it would be fun to "caravan" from the International up there too.
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
Old 07-15-2003, 06:38 AM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
I agree that there should be two seperate rallys. One for the hearty (like the proposed) of about 11 days and one that is again centrally located (but for an extended weekend like an arrival on a Friday and stay Sat, Sun and leave Monday) in either central or southern Illinois, central or southern Indiana and possibly western and central or western and southern Ohio (Homecoming-- hint hint??).

Anyway that's my .02 FWIW.

Eric
I agree that we should do another weekender.

My concept of two options Eric was for the long rally. We could have an optional stay for 5 days for those who can only gone for a week which would include travel and the full 7 day stay for those who have the additional time.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-15-2003, 06:51 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Wayne County , Michigan
Weekend Rally

Could a weekend rally be done in Indiana or western Ohio? We'd like to attend too. The Moraine view rally would have been a 9+ hour drive for us...
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
Old 07-15-2003, 07:22 AM   #15

Fenton , Missouri
Jason,
Anyone can organize a rally if they wish. Just find a spot figure out the logistics and let everybody know. Those attending for a weekend will probably be in a 4 hour radius of your chosen site so choose carefully.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-15-2003, 08:58 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Wayne County , Michigan
I agree, 4 hours is probably about the limit for a weekender. Is anyone interested in doing a weekend in Indiana or Ohio?
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
Old 07-15-2003, 09:48 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd consider another meet if it wasn't too far away (about 2 hours)

Besdies the midwest rally, we've been to Southern Indiana (near Louisville), U.P. of MI. We were at the Indiana Dunes and this past weekend, perhaps Illinois Beach State Park this weekend. That is all since mid April, so we are quickly approaching our limits for travel. We will most likely do a few more short trips of a few hours and then next year perhaps 1 or 2 that are a bit longer.

Eric
Old 08-09-2003, 08:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Mackinac City and the UP

We were in Mackinac City on the 4th of July this year (my pre-Airstream days) and it was packed for the fireworks celebration. So, if planning around the 4th I think you need to plan way ahead.

Beaches are not so hot on the Lake Huron side. Beaches on Lake Michigan from the Indiana Dunes on up are great!

About 12 miles west of Mackinac City on the Upper Pinensula there is a really nice stretch of white sand beach on Lake Michigan.

Not too far from Mackinac City and on the way up is the Traverse Bay area. It is another nice place to explore for its cherries and vineyards.

For those who would like to try Lake Superior, the only place I ever found tolerable was a beach near Munising, MI on the UP just west of Pictured Rocks National Monument. The water is shallow for quite aways out from shore and the sun heats the water well. In my home state, Minnesota, Lake Superior is too cold on its North Shore.

As for the ferry across Lake Michigan, we family travel a lot between Minneapolis, MN and Midland, MI. I've taken the ferry a few times for the aesthetic pleasure of it but find that you have to time your trip perfectly to actually save time. One time we had to stay overnight in Algoma, WI. It would have been quicker to drive around. Personally I love the trip through Wisconsin and the the UP.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 08:07 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Mackinac City and the UP

Quote:
Originally posted by Davydd
[B

For those who would like to try Lake Superior, the only place I ever found tolerable was a beach near Munising, MI on the UP just west of Pictured Rocks National Monument. The water is shallow for quite aways out from shore and the sun heats the water well. In my home state, Minnesota, Lake Superior is too cold on its North Shore.
[/B]
Been there....the inland lakes off H-58 east of that are really the only tolorable lakes to swim in...Lake Superior is WAY, WAY cold all summer long!

The Munising area is one of my favorite spots in the UP. Kingston Lake State Forest Campground is a fantastic rustic place...was there over this past 4th.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:18 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've been looking at our tentitive summer plans and if we go to the UP in late, late June, early July, we might swing down across the bridge and hang depending on when the group actucally goes......

Also just trying to keep this Mac plan in the forefront....even though it's more than a few months out.

Eric