Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Mid-Missouri Boondock, October 2014

This is a popular annual Boondocking event for those who need a break and want to get back to nature and enjoy the fall colors in Missouri woods. The group has a special permit from Missouri Department of Conservation to camp adjacent to the 48 acre Rudolph Bennitt Lake in Rudolph Bennitt State Park. RBSP is located 19 miles north of Columbia, MO on US Hwy 63, then 5 miles west on Route F, then 2.75 miles north on Route T, then 0.5 mile west on County Rd. 2930. Canoes, kayaks, and boats with electric motors are encouraged as the lake is beautiful this time of year, and the fishing (MO fishing permit required) has the potential to be entertaining. We will be doing a Catch & Release fishing tournament again on Saturday, and have a campfire/potluck on Saturday evening. There is a pit toilet on site but otherwise, be prepared to boondock. Check the Airforums calendar October 2-5, 2014 to access the RSVP page.
Mount'n Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Thanks for getting the ball rolling Brian!

This is the link to the sign up page.

Airstream Forums - Mid-Missouri Boondock

Tina
Old 07-01-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm.

This would be a perfect stop on my way home from Alumalina the previous weekend.

And, I see familiar faces.

See you there,

Maggie
Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari S/O
Foristell , Missouri
Live in New Mellle Mo. On the road this am for DuBois Wy. Tell us some more about the boon docking event for Oct 2014.
bike2443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
To quote Tina's post from last year's thread--just about sums it up! Only difference to note is that the park has added 3 gravel camping pads by the lake that are ours to use but not reservable, so we may have company. these are "first come, first served", and the Conservation Department has asked that we fill them first, so we will likely have the lake to ourselves again this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2bcarefree View Post

We’ll be the only campers next to the lake at Rudolf Bennitt Conservation Area in Missouri. Enjoy a 48 acre fishing lake, a twelve mile multi-use hike/bike/horse trail and 3,500+ acres of forest, fields and grasslands and two intermittent streams.

Fishing, Hiking, Biking, Paddling, Relaxing

Get away from the lights, noise and congestion of town and spend time relaxing and remembering what owls, crickets, and coyotes sound like and what a starry night looks like overhead.

This is not a campground, there are no ammenities - no hook-ups, electricity, running water. We'll be camping right next to the lake.

Link to Rally Event Page: http://www.airforums.com/forums/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=1090&day=2013-10-17

Link to Rudolf Bennitt Conservation Area: Area Summary

Rally agenda:

Friday night there will be a campfire and we’ll roast hot dogs, have a pot a chili for chili dogs, and roast marshmallows! We’ll have some camp songs courtesy of Brian and his guitar; bring your instrument along if you have one!

Saturday we will have a catch and release fishing tournament (you will need a Missouri fishing license) and if you want to keep 'em and make a meal, well, that's up to you You can fish from shore, the covered boat dock area or bring your canoe or kayak.

Saturday night we'll have a potluck dinner where we’ll give out fishing awards.

Service project: MDC has given us special permission to camp by the lake (and are not charging us a fee) so we’d like to show our appreciation by picking up litter around the boat dock area and the lake, perhaps an hour on Saturday morning. Last year, we found quite a few bobbers and fishing lures, some with freshwater sponges growing on them.

This is a casual, laid back affair and this is NOT a campground, we'll be camping next to the lake. There are no services, hook-ups or amenities (well, there is a “privy.”) There is not a dump station or water available and there is not a camp store. The nearest town is Columbia, MO about 28 miles south east.

So, come on out - explore, relax, and rejuvenate with Mother Nature!

Photos from 2012 event...
Old 07-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
And we'll see if we can coax Brian to bring his guitar again!
Old 07-13-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
Not your average Tiki

1968 26' Overlander
Columbia , Missouri
Mountain Man, I was hoping to be at MoJam this year so we could chew the fat, but alas the wife and I are headed to Minnesota. Once again I've missed it. One of these days.....
Tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
Mountain Man, I was hoping to be at MoJam this year so we could chew the fat, but alas the wife and I are headed to Minnesota. Once again I've missed it. One of these days.....
Tiki, you aren't going to MOjam? My bowyer buddy Sam Harper from Poor Folk Bows told me about it. Sounded like a great time.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Not your average Tiki

1968 26' Overlander
Columbia , Missouri
Wish I could......headed for fishing in Minn.
Tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Yeah, bumming we can't generate some firewood together. Good luck fishing!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Do we still want to have the hobby/craft demos that we talked about last year?
There were some neat hobbies represented last year.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcair View Post
Do we still want to have the hobby/craft demos that we talked about last year?
There were some neat hobbies represented last year.
I don't have any hobbies to demo, but love looking at other's creative works. So... I guess I'm saying, I'm happy to be an observer if others want to share their art/hobby/craft .

Tina
Old 09-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
As promised, I am bring the sock knitter.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Cool! Anxious to see that thing work, Alice. So, I'm just back from Colorado and guess I need to get to the final planning for the boondock--it's coming up soon!. First, I'm planning on getting there Thursday mid-afternoon (10/02). If someone is going to be there earlier, let me know and I can email them a copy of the Special Use Permit to have it on site. They asked that we fill the three new pads first before "roughing it" on the grass. Second, we usually have a hot dog roast Friday followed by a big potluck Saturday. Since I guess we're hosting, would you all prefer hotdogs with a pot of Cincinnati Chili and fixin's for "Coneys" or fresh grilled venison burgers (elk and moose) for Friday? Or Both, OK, just let me know. Third, not sure if Tikiman (Brian and Joanne) is coming, but if we can get a line on some firewood for the campfire? I'll bring some local but will have a truckfull of camping stuff to boot so if others can stuff a few sticks of MO wood, that'll help keep us warm. Last (for now), if we can finalize a general head count and maybe some idea of what folks might be bringing to the potluck Saturday, that would be a good start. I'm sure I'll think of lots between now and then, but it's a start. 8 Days and counting....
Old 09-24-2014, 05:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm planning on being there, on my way home from Alumalina in SC. Leaving there Monday, could be in MO by Wednesday.

Please post good directions to the site.

I will eat whatever you fix, and be glad to help with food.

Maggie
Old 09-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Trenton , Illinois
I haven't had elk or moose, so I'd love to try the burger option.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1953 21' Flying Cloud
Wentzville , Missouri
We will be coming in late, late Friday night. We won't leave Wentzville until 9 or so. Looks like a 2 hour drive for us.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
We (me and wife, plus 2 dogs) are planning on leaving Friday morning and should be there before noon. I can bring some wood. I've looked at the map. Exactly where will we be?
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
We are bringing some chili for friday night and planning on some dutch oven chicken for Saturday.

Maggie you will want to stock up before arriving as it is at least a 45 minute trip to a grocery store.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
drew, we park right next to the lake. There is a good view of it on google earth. It is an older picture though and does not show the new camping spots they are talking about.