Old 07-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #113
2 Rivet Member

Huntington , West Virginia
Douthat is truly a gem. Beach with lifeguards and a diving platform, great trails, park restaurant, rangers are nice and average 4-6 planned activities each day during the summer with the kids, lake is immaculate and stocked with trout(fishing permit required). Clifton Forge is nearby with a wonderful railroad museum, brew pub, local restaurants, and an old True Value hardware store in the middle of town which sells about you might need. If your camper is not too long, I would advise the White Oak campground which is closer to the ranger station and well shaded.
As far as West Virginia campgrounds, I donít have any great recommendations aside from Watoga as previously posted. However, Carter Caves in nearby Olive Hill, Ky is nice... but itís not Douthat. Lol

Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:00 AM   #114
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Severn , Maryland
TouringDan and Totoro - Thanks for the info!

We just returned from Cowans Gap SP in Pennsylvania and it was quite nice. It's in a relatively remote area, which is probably why the campground was only half full.

Blackdog06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #115
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog06 View Post
TouringDan and Totoro - Thanks for the info!

We just returned from Cowans Gap SP in Pennsylvania and it was quite nice. It's in a relatively remote area, which is probably why the campground was only half full.

Quiet is a good thing. Welcome back.

Can you comment on bike riding?
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:35 AM   #116
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Severn , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Quiet is a good thing. Welcome back.

Can you comment on bike riding?
Quiet is very good!

The off-road gravel riding is fairly good, although we didn't do a lot of it because the spouse had his ancient mtb with slicks (good bike is in the shop). Other than the crushed surface Lakeside Trail, the trails were typical of Pennsylvania - rocky and steep. I'm looking forward to going back and exploring more.

For road riding, the roads around Cowans are state bike routes and we saw plenty of roadies and loaded touring riders. Very hilly.

And the turnpike was fantastic fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cowans2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	317222  
Old 08-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #117
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
I thought I would mention our latest trip to Kiptopeke State Park at the southern tip of the Delmarva peninsula (Virginia part, just across the bridge/tunnel from Norfolk, VA, though we drove down from the Bay Bridge in Maryland). The campground was fine, not spectacular, but it was a great place to catch crabs! I couldn't believe how many there were along the beach and the pier that are adjacent to the park. There were some hiking trails but, as with everything on the peninsula, they are flat. Still, if you want to catch some tasty blue crabs that this area is famous for, it is a good place to camp.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #118
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
I thought I would mention our latest trip to Kiptopeke State Park at the southern tip of the Delmarva peninsula (Virginia part, just across the bridge/tunnel from Norfolk, VA, though we drove down from the Bay Bridge in Maryland). The campground was fine, not spectacular, but it was a great place to catch crabs! I couldn't believe how many there were along the beach and the pier that are adjacent to the park. There were some hiking trails but, as with everything on the peninsula, they are flat. Still, if you want to catch some tasty blue crabs that this area is famous for, it is a good place to camp.
Excellent report.

Also...thanks Blackdog
Old 08-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #119
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
Hi

I'd toss in that, like most VA parks, the staff is doing a really good job. They are friendly and helpful. They also do a great job of keeping things neat and well tended to.

There also is pretty good fishing off the pier (depending on season). The water is quiet enough that small boats can be used if you want to get out to fish by the sunken boats.

The only downside is that there's not a lot of "stuff" in the are (even more so off season). You need to go over to the other side of the bridge / tunnel for a full range of shopping and things to do .... that's not all bad

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #120
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
I'll throw this out there. Weekend of June 7, 2019 myself and some friends are gathering for two days of gravel bicycle riding in the vicinity of Michaux SF. Saturday's ride is 100 miles of hard riding and Sunday is short and sweet.

I'll help vet folks who are interested and have valid questions. You can PM me here.

The event is informal. There will be no official support however we depend on safety and success by working together. If you have never done anything like this before look away

It is my sincere hope to find a few here who have this common interest / mental illness.

F.Y.I. we have two AS folks committed thus far.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #121
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Severn , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
I'll throw this out there. Weekend of June 7, 2019 myself and some friends are gathering for two days of gravel bicycle riding in the vicinity of Michaux SF. Saturday's ride is 100 miles of hard riding and Sunday is short and sweet...
Michaux is awesome! We may be able to make it that weekend - are you camping at Pine Grove Furnace or Caledonia?
Old 12-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #122
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Dover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Michaux is awesome! We may be able to make it that weekend - are you camping at Pine Grove Furnace or Caledonia?
We are camping at Pine Grove Furnace. This should be a great weekend and I hope you can join us.
Dan_Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #123
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
BlackDog > Finally get to meet up with you two.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #124
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Severn , Maryland
Just made reservations at PGF - can't wait! Looking forward to meeting you all :-)
Old 12-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #125
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Just made reservations at PGF - can't wait! Looking forward to meeting you all :-)
Excellent There will be some tune up rides. Stay in touch.