Old 11-29-2017, 05:45 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
I only provide this insight to let you know that I threw caution to the wind, decided to drive under the speed limit on Rt81 and head to the Highlands Haven AS park. I had no idea what I was getting into and while I recall seeing directions, I simply followed a GPS, which was a huge mistake for someone without brakes ( I had no idea engineers could design switchbacks that tight on a road ....)
Suffice to say I made it and met some of the nicest and most knowledgeable follks, in a simply beautiful setting of Airstreams. I cant recommend Highland Haven enough and even though its a good 8-9 hour ride for me, I plan to head back with my wife this summer.
We had intended to go to Highland Haven as our first trip when we bought our AS a couple of months ago but they were booked up for the weekend we wanted and then closed for the season. We plan to go there next summer, though.

This thread lists some nice campgrounds! Shenandoah looks like a winner for sure, as do the ones up in PA. It's opening a whole new world for us!

DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:47 AM   #44

1976 Argosy 28
Currently Looking...
Lynchburg , Virginia
Sedalia Center

The Sedalia Center in Bedford, Va. We have 30amp for as many as 85 campers. Covered Pavilion with stage. Old school building with classroom space, professional kitchen, full concession stand, hiking trails, and more. Sewer and water is usually done with trucks when/if needed. Not an official camp site, but available for rental as a whole.

bacnmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:39 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
We had intended to go to Highland Haven as our first trip when we bought our AS a couple of months ago but they were booked up for the weekend we wanted and then closed for the season. We plan to go there next summer, though.

This thread lists some nice campgrounds! Shenandoah looks like a winner for sure, as do the ones up in PA. It's opening a whole new world for us!
That is out story as well. We had just taken possession of our AS and could not squeeze into Highland Haven in time. We opt'd for Hatteras which was hardly a concession Highland is on our "must do" list next year. I *think there should be excellent road riding from the campground given it's proximity to the parkway.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:13 AM   #46
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog06 View Post
Pine Grove Furnace SP is one of our favorites also - it feels so rural being in the middle of the Michaux State Forest.

Hi

If (as you pull off of I-81) you turn the wrong way for Pine Grove, there is a storage lot just up the road that stores trailers on the cheap .... I'm cheap ...

Pine Grove is nice. The dogs like to go for walks there. It works a lot better when we pull up *and* have remembered to bring the leashes

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:05 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Severn , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCreek View Post
Small world! We were the Bambi in site 3 at Lums last weekend, we were going to stop by and visit but never saw anyone in camp, must be out playing! We biked the trail on Thursday. We do a lot of rail trail as well, keep us posted when you go out!
KellyCreek
Sorry we missed you! Was it your first trip to Lums? Our site looked deserted because DH had to work Friday and had taken the truck. And we left way early on Sunday to avoid Bay Bridge traffic.

Did you ride the C&D? We only had the mtb's with us so I/we did the forest trails on Friday and Saturday.
Blackdog06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Severn , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If (as you pull off of I-81) you turn the wrong way for Pine Grove, there is a storage lot just up the road that stores trailers on the cheap .... I'm cheap ...

Pine Grove is nice. The dogs like to go for walks there. It works a lot better when we pull up *and* have remembered to bring the leashes

Bob
Is that off of 233 towards Newville? We got lost out there looking for an open gas station once! I'm not that familiar with how to get to PGF from I-81...we normally go through Littlestown and up 15.

Do you ever camp at PGF or is it too close to home?
Old 11-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
F.Y.I. I've put together 1/2 a dozen road rides from Lum's Pond.
Here is one: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26555110
Old 11-30-2017, 05:40 AM   #50
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Warrenton , Virginia
Thanks for the information

Just finished reading this thread and have some good ideas for next season trips thanks to all who post ideas.
Last season we did the Yellowstone, Zion---- etc. etc. trip (7000+miles), this year we plan to stay more local.

We have a 1976 Argosy 28 which we have been fixing up and enjoy very much.

(It's interesting to me how some "Airstreamers" don't think of the Argosy's as being part of the group as they even have a small Airstream logo near the door?)
captainkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #51
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Is that off of 233 towards Newville? We got lost out there looking for an open gas station once! I'm not that familiar with how to get to PGF from I-81...we normally go through Littlestown and up 15.

Do you ever camp at PGF or is it too close to home?
Hi

We store at a place up 223 towards Newville. It's before you get to town and hit the "25 foot length limit" my psycho GPS yacks at me about.

There is now a nice new Sheetz gas station just north of the I-80 / 233 exit. Like most of their layouts, I would not recommend it for getting gas with something large in tow. You probably *could* do it, but it would be tight.

We never considered Pine Grove for camping. "It's the dog walk place"

I'd say that in general, I'm more impressed by the way Virginia does state parks than Pennsylvania. That could just be a function of the ones we have randomly selected.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:05 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
We had intended to go to Highland Haven as our first trip when we bought our AS a couple of months ago but they were booked up for the weekend we wanted and then closed for the season. We plan to go there next summer, though. !
I do hope you have the same wonderful experience I did. In my attempt to limit my above post, I didn't mention the reason I did something so dumb as to drive without the brakes or lights working, but it was simply that when I made the reservation, I had mentioned that it would be my first night with my new to me AS. The gal I spoke with (correctly) informed me that I was coming to the right place as there was sufficient AS knowledge there to get me started. Being a Sat, late afternoon and I was stuck in the middle of pretty much nowhere, I figured that was my only chance to get the brakes and lights working and thankfully, one very nice fellow took the time to figure it out. He also spent well over an hour going through the entire trailer showing me how everything worked.
It is a beautiful place with cool summer evenings and a lot of peace and quiet.
One of the better experiences I have ever had with complete strangers and some lovely folks.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:49 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Severn , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

We store at a place up 223 towards Newville. It's before you get to town and hit the "25 foot length limit" my psycho GPS yacks at me about.

There is now a nice new Sheetz gas station just north of the I-80 / 233 exit. Like most of their layouts, I would not recommend it for getting gas with something large in tow. You probably *could* do it, but it would be tight.

We never considered Pine Grove for camping. "It's the dog walk place"

I'd say that in general, I'm more impressed by the way Virginia does state parks than Pennsylvania. That could just be a function of the ones we have randomly selected.

Bob
That Sheetz is where we ended up getting gas! We just had the truck though...

I'm curious what you like better about the VA parks? I've only been to Shenandoah (and it was fabulous!) but I didn't like driving around to find an open spot. Much prefer reserving a specific spot.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Severn , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
F.Y.I. I've put together 1/2 a dozen road rides from Lum's Pond.
Here is one: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26555110
Thanks for putting some routes together! Unfortunately, I think there would be a lot of traffic on a lot of this route especially around 95 and Christiana Mall. A quieter ride would be south of the canal - we drove down 9 and it's pretty rural once you get over the bridge.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We really enjoy North Bend Campground John Kerr Reservoir. It's an Army Corps of Engineer facility. Great private campsites, many on the lake, very nice paved bike trails, boat ramps, modern and well maintained shower/restrooms. One loop is open all year round with some electric sites available. Easy run out VA Hwy 58. We've had our AS 1 year and have camped there twice and are planning a winter trip.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:07 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Thanks for putting some routes together! Unfortunately, I think there would be a lot of traffic on a lot of this route especially around 95 and Christiana Mall. A quieter ride would be south of the canal - we drove down 9 and it's pretty rural once you get over the bridge.
Something like this? : https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26554812

Our weekend plans took a nose dive. Last night I was doing some interior repair and found the batteries were flat. Not sure why, nothing sticks out. I'm charging and will assume it was something dumb and overlooked. However, I'd like to see everything working before we head out.