Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2017, 07:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Mid-Atlantic Streamers : MD, DC, VA

In the http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...cs-174884.html thread I see quite a few folks who live near us. This is a test the waters thread to see if we can generate some local interest.

Our destinations are focused on quiet locales vs RV parks where there are available road bike or gravel bike riding from the camping spot.

I'll start with this >> Over Thanks Giving we plan to be in the Shenandoah River Valley or Georgia depending how the weather plays out (reservations both places). I've got 3 hr. road bike rides with .gps routes planned from either place (Shenendoah SP/Petersburg Campground). We are dry camping the Airstream, I've already winterized.

Chime in, let the Bonhomie begin
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
blackdog06

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Tuttle , Oklahoma
We're going to Lums Pond State Park (pic in the other thread) for the T'giving holiday. Easy mtb trails in the park and adjacent to the C&D Canal trail - 17 miles of fast asphalt for roadies. Also, right up the road is Fair Hill NRMA with miles of gravel carriage trails.

We pretty much only stay at state, national or COE parks...good biking, hiking or kayaking is a requirement!
Blackdog06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Well, I can recommend Powhatan State Park in Va as a pretty good location. It's open through the end of the month(?). I'm sitting here right now, so it's certainly open at the moment Water and power both are still up and running. Do note the statement in the park info about "some GPS units do not route correctly to the park". We missed that and got to turn the AS around in a bean field

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog06 View Post
We're going to Lums Pond State Park (pic in the other thread) for the T'giving holiday. Easy mtb trails in the park and adjacent to the C&D Canal trail - 17 miles of fast asphalt for roadies. Also, right up the road is Fair Hill NRMA with miles of gravel carriage trails.

We pretty much only stay at state, national or COE parks...good biking, hiking or kayaking is a requirement!
Thanks UncleB - we looked at Powhatan, that's a great spot.

Lum's is full. Better planning for next time on my part will work.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Sherando Lake NF campground by Waynesboro, Va. This is site A30 in the usual “tenting” loop of the campground. This loop has no utilities. About 4 site are available here that are first come first serve that will accommodate small trailers. This is our favorite “local” campground.

Dan

.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	858.3 KB
ID:	299080
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for this interesting new thread. FYI from another thread, Lake Powhatan closes 12/13 I believe.

[click on arrow in quote to go there]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
"Lake Powhatan Recreation Area & Campground" -- closes 12/13/17:

https://cfaia.org/lake-powhatan-recr...orth-carolina/
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/l...O&parkId=70206
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsn...a/?recid=48172

The Arboretum looks great:
http://www.ncarboretum.org/

We hope to make it down that way some day!

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As always, we quickly get into the re-use of names in the USA. The place I'm at is Powhatan State Park in Virginia. There are indeed a number of other parks by the same name scattered throughout the country. Yes, it could be worse. One might be camping at Jellystone Park RV Campground ...

Traffic has gotten crazy here this morning. We've seen one other camper with their dog .... pretty crowded Half the sites here are first come / first serve. They did not fill up last weekend. My guess is that the "just show up" approach would work for most dates past mid October. There are a few spaces that backing a 30' into would be "interesting". Most of them .... no problem at all. For quick in and out, there are several pull throughs. The nicest of them is currently occupied by a lazy slob in a 30' Classic

Bob (why back in when you can pull through? )
Old 11-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #8
blackdog06

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Too tall - Shenandoah River State Park is fantastic! We were there a couple of weeks ago and totally enjoyed it. The trail that loops down by the river is a really nice bike ride. Personally, I'd rather go there than Lums.

Bob - Powhatan SP looks really nice also. Have you checked out the boat ramp? I saw it online and it looks really steep and a pain to use...was curious what you thought of it.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog06 View Post
Too tall - Shenandoah River State Park is fantastic! We were there a couple of weeks ago and totally enjoyed it. The trail that loops down by the river is a really nice bike ride. Personally, I'd rather go there than Lums.

Bob - Powhatan SP looks really nice also. Have you checked out the boat ramp? I saw it online and it looks really steep and a pain to use...was curious what you thought of it.
Hi

There are two "boat ramps" in the park. Both are designed for sliding a canoe or kayak down by hand. There is a more conventional ramp outside the park for use with a trailer. It's about 1.5 miles away through two locked gates, down a dirt road, and past a bean field. It's slightly longer on legitimate roads. My "RV specific" GPS is quite happy to send me down either route

Bob
Old 11-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
blackdog06

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

There are two "boat ramps" in the park. Both are designed for sliding a canoe or kayak down by hand. There is a more conventional ramp outside the park for use with a trailer. It's about 1.5 miles away through two locked gates, down a dirt road, and past a bean field. It's slightly longer on legitimate roads. My "RV specific" GPS is quite happy to send me down either route

Bob

LOL! Thanks for the info!!
Old 11-15-2017, 04:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Good stuff gents. Thanks Bob, I have a feeling we will meet before too long. Our long game is to spend more and more time at less populated sites as well as become comfortable off grid

Mrs Too Tall has spoken we will be at the Shenendoah SP for T day. Weather has sharpened up, less chance of rain now. Cold night will be welcome actually a reason to burn some wood .

Wish me luck, I am going to bake a pecan pie in a dutch oven over woodfire coals with a Bulleit Rye chaser .
Old 11-16-2017, 06:19 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Well, planning trips is never a perfect science. We seem to have spent the week of rain and cold out camping and now are back home for a few days of sun and warmer weather. At least it will not be raining while I try to winterize the trailer

Bob
Old 11-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Well, planning trips is never a perfect science. We seem to have spent the week of rain and cold out camping and now are back home for a few days of sun and warmer weather. At least it will not be raining while I try to winterize the trailer

Bob
Don't feel bad brother. The other night myself and Mrs. Too Tall were watching the news and than the weather report came on.....

I had to hustle, silly of me to not think about this ahead of time. Luckily only the fresh water tank valve was a little frozen. No damage and I got the trailer winterized in record time which for me is a first, first time winterizing a trailer!!!

FWIIW Shenendoah SP is looking good, weather is favorable. (knock on firewood)
Old 11-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Don't feel bad brother. The other night myself and Mrs. Too Tall were watching the news and than the weather report came on.....

I had to hustle, silly of me to not think about this ahead of time. Luckily only the fresh water tank valve was a little frozen. No damage and I got the trailer winterized in record time which for me is a first, first time winterizing a trailer!!!

FWIIW Shenendoah SP is looking good, weather is favorable. (knock on firewood)
Hi

Well, I got all the bits and pieces to winterize the trailer shipped in before the last outing. I carefully put them away so I could find them all when needed. Now if I could just figure out *where* that obvious place to put them was .... It's a real nice day to be out working on the trailer ....

Bob
Old 11-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
We aren't much for biking but we do like to hike. Last weekend we went to Lake Anna State Park, which was a nice place. Not quite "middle of nowhere" but not "downtown" either. Shenandoah SP looks nice, and there is the Airstream only park a little farther south (though they are closed for the season). Our next trip is to the Outer Banks over Christmas. Trailer is winterized; I hope properly (also my first time!).
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Amen to that Uncle,it is a good day.
Prep. for T-Day trip is done. Heat tested and a couple gallons of anti-freeze laid in for flushing the head. Weather forecast continues to improve

Outer Banks for Xmas! That's a neat idea. Hatteras was our first trip and absolutely loved it. We want to give Okracoke a shot since it will be that much further from the crowd.

Lake Anna, yep we have looked at that for a "quick" get away. Look at this link which I found at random looking for info. on GunPowder SP >>
https://www.campendium.com/maryland/gunpowder

There are a raft of sites I've never heard of.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I believe this is site 2 at Todd Lake National Forest Campground near Mount Solon, VA.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2538.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	299354Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2524.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	299355Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2523.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	553.6 KB
ID:	299356
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Dan, that is a neat spot (Todd Lake). I used to run (bicycle) training camps not too far from there. It should be good road and mtn. biking/hiking?
Old 11-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Crewe , Virginia
Check out Twin Lakes SP in Va

It’s a small campground with 31sites. Well worth the trip and the folks there are very nice!
Dspchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dspchef View Post
It’s a small campground with 31sites. Well worth the trip and the folks there are very nice!
Perfect. I'm putting it on my list for Spring Time.

We are locked and loaded for T-Day. Can't wait for five days of peaceful camping.