Old 07-25-2006, 06:09 AM   #211
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Hello everyone... We will be arriving on Thurs and getting there in early aft. We are leaving here very early to beat the traffic across the top of Toronto. Staying thru to Aug 8 Tues..reservations for this already made.. Anyone else staying longer???

WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:53 AM   #212
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Hello,

Sounds like you guys have fun. We are not Airstreamers yet but are spending a lot of time on the forum reading, reading ,reading. We are getting ready to purchase our first TT early next year after my husband retires. We want to go places into which only small trailers can go, so we are considering the 19’ or 20’ Safari. (I like the front bed and the large galley in the 20’ – we like what looks like more storage too) The 16’ is just too small for the two of us and a dog, plus the wet bath turns us both off.

Last Saturday we were at Walnut Hills campground in Durand for a Church campout and picnic and LOW AND BEHOLD there was a whole row of Airstreams enjoying Christmas in July. We were able to chat with a couple of owners of 25’ers. One was a 21 year old Classic. It was beautiful, we would never have guessed it was that venerable an age. The other was only a couple of years old. The folks we talked with were really nice and invited us inside to take a look.

We might join you next year for this rally at Apple Creek. Only problem is the first weekend of August is when the Yankee Air Museum has their huge Air Show, Thunder Over Michigan, at Willow Run Airport and there is no way we can miss that event. Now those war birds are real classics – WOW talk about aluminum and rivets. We have a bit of experience polishing the aluminum skin of the flyable B-17, B-25, and C-47 Do those birds shine when the volunteers are all done. There is no clear coat on those babies. If you are looking for an outing on the rally weekend the air show goes on for two days. If anyone is interested in more aluminum and rivets here is their web site:

http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/

Getting our second case of aluminum fever – can’t wait to have our own AS and start that adventure.

uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:11 AM   #213
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Status Check

Hi, Everyone.

Sorry to be silent for the past week, boy is this summer busy! I have called Apple Creek and directly asked about just how many campsites are there in the group area. Answer: 24 and they all have 30 amp electricity. There are also 4 extra sites right up against the group area the also have electricity that we can use as overflow. Early arrivers and early departers are OK with the campground.

We will arrive Thursday Night, probably 8 ish, depending on departure time, which is always tricky.

Now, we have 21 listed on the forum rally page, but 66Overlander and now 69GT21 aren't coming, is this correct? There is one off forum attendee that has contacted me and there's Lou's friend. That puts us at 21 right now.

HAS ANYONE that HAS NOT signed up on the rally page confirmed that they are going? We need to know NOW to make sure we don't have someone left out in the boonies when rally time comes.

ALSO, this is a good time to speak up if you are NOT coming, but had previously stated that you were, unless you have done so in the past week.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #214
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hi Nancy,

If this rally doesn't fit your schedule there will be other events in the future, whether a get together or a rally. Some of those same folks you may have met at the WBCCI rally in Durand are part of Lou's crew. If you do find you can make a quick stop somehow come by and see us. You don't need an AS you just have to swear loyalty to the grand leader.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:59 AM   #215
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by uluwene
We might join you next year for this rally at Apple Creek. Only problem is the first weekend of August is when the Yankee Air Museum has their huge Air Show, Thunder Over Michigan, at Willow Run Airport and there is no way we can miss that event. Now those war birds are real classics – WOW talk about aluminum and rivets. We have a bit of experience polishing the aluminum skin of the flyable B-17, B-25, and C-47 Do those birds shine when the volunteers are all done. There is no clear coat on those babies. If you are looking for an outing on the rally weekend the air show goes on for two days. If anyone is interested in more aluminum and rivets here is their web site:

http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/

Getting our second case of aluminum fever – can’t wait to have our own AS and start that adventure.
Hey, thank you for that great idea! As a pilot, albeit one without a current airplane, that sounds great.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #216
HDS
2 Rivet Member

airshow

It's only about 45 minutes up I-94 to Willow Run, and there's a Camping World in Belleville. We were at my brother-in-law's at Belleville last year when the airshow was on, and it looked like something out of a war movie, must have been a dozen B-17's flying around, all in different paint jobs. It was really neat. I think I'll just veg at Apple Creek and meet some new friends and catch the airshow next year.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:46 PM   #217
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Lightbulb after the air show

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Hi Nancy,

If you do find you can make a quick stop somehow come by and see us. You don't need an AS you just have to swear loyalty to the grand leader.

Carol, Thank you for the invitation. The Air Show is over at 5:00 so we will plan to drop in for a little while Saturday evening. We would love to chat and pick some of your brains with our questions.

Redeagle313, if you do decide to try the Air Show I can recommend setting your chair up under the largest shade structure on the field - the B-52's wings. It cost the government a lot of money but it is still serving a useful purpose.
uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:43 PM   #218
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Jean and I plan on arrivng Thursday evening even though it may be fairly late.
Also Jean is planning on making a strawberry trifle for dessert for the pot luck.
Al
Old 07-26-2006, 09:34 PM   #219
HDS
2 Rivet Member

We're planning to arrive Tuesday nite, its close to home and we can go to work from the campground. This way no one can laugh at me while I try to back up. There'll be beer in the cooler, tho not Canadian Lou, and we'll keep the light on for ya.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:39 PM   #220
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Arriving

Larry and I are still hoping to get there on Thurs. afternoon, if all stays level here at home. We are really getting psyched up! And looking forward to seeing you all!
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:45 PM   #221
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl
Jean and I plan on arrivng Thursday evening even though it may be fairly late.
Also Jean is planning on making a strawberry trifle for dessert for the pot luck.
Al
Cool! Thanks!

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:13 PM   #222
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Hi Nancy,

If this rally doesn't fit your schedule there will be other events in the future, whether a get together or a rally. Some of those same folks you may have met at the WBCCI rally in Durand are part of Lou's crew. If you do find you can make a quick stop somehow come by and see us. You don't need an AS you just have to swear loyalty to the grand leader.
Ah yes. A faithful follower of the "Lou's Aluminum Cult"
Old 07-26-2006, 10:15 PM   #223
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS
It's only about 45 minutes up I-94 to Willow Run, and there's a Camping World in Belleville. We were at my brother-in-law's at Belleville last year when the airshow was on, and it looked like something out of a war movie, must have been a dozen B-17's flying around, all in different paint jobs. It was really neat. I think I'll just veg at Apple Creek and meet some new friends and catch the airshow next year.
How about an "Air Show Rally" next year?
I am sure we can find something near Willow Run. Maybe down US-23? I know there are campgrounds down that way!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:18 PM   #224
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by uluwene
Carol, Thank you for the invitation. The Air Show is over at 5:00 so we will plan to drop in for a little while Saturday evening. We would love to chat and pick some of your brains with our questions.
We would love to have you guys stop by. Be sure to do so. There is going to be everything from really new, (Wheel Interested has a brand new trailer), to really old, the motorized, (motorhomes), and then the PERFECT, such as the Argosys!
I still say that the only missing on an Airstream is the beige paint!