Old 07-07-2004, 02:03 PM   #71
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
**We're In Mackinaw Now**

We're in the Mackinaw Mill Campground now. We came yesterday with the rain. The temperature when we got here was 54į and very windy. Make sure you bring a jacket, umbrellas, etc... whaterever you need to stay warm! You will also need some kind of container for a fire if you want to build one. There are no open fires allowed on the ground. I seen some fires here but they were in what looked like their own personal fire rings. We even had the furnace on last night, so come prepared. Hopefully, next week when every one gets here it will be warmer. I've asked around but they said they only had a few good days this year so far and this wasn't normal wheather for this time of year.
Big white caps on the beach yesterday!

There must be about 20 or 30 other A/S's here now. Must be some of those rallies going on. They all seem to have the big red numbers on them. I placed the forums rally sign in the yard so they could all take a good look.

Man, I miss my spell checker I have at home!

It's still nice here, looking forward to seeing everyone when you get here.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 02:13 PM   #72
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
**The Sun IS Shinning!**

Looking out of the store window right now; it actually looks like the sun is shinning!

Yippie!

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 07-07-2004, 02:14 PM   #73

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
This rally sounds like it's going to be a grand affair. The weather looks great for camping, and your week's plans sound like fun. The added bonus of the invitation from Dr. C puts you over the top! I'm purely green with envy--to meet one of our most enjoyable forum writers and to tour his home and the island as well! Have a great time and know that we'll all be thinking about you and looking forward to the reports after (or during!).
Sure wish you were going to be up there. This will be my third time up at this location and I continue to enjoy the area. This is really a neat place to go to. I wish more of the fourm folks were able to make it, but much like last year at Moraine View, its a learning experience. We almost doubled our attendance this year, maybe next we will hit 20 for this week long event.

I don't know everyone else's travel plans but my plans will get us there Sunday between 3-4 pm dependent upon the time we leave Benton Harbor KOA.

Those of you who haven't gotten back to me about Dr.C's lunch and tour offer please post me a reply. I need to call him to give him a head count.

See post #61 above.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 02:27 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
We will not be attending the lunch and tour. And what about no open fires? What sort of fire container is this? Does anyone know what they do about campfires at the campground or what you are expected to do?

John
Old 07-07-2004, 02:33 PM   #75
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
We will not be attending the lunch and tour. And what about no open fires? What sort of fire container is this? Does anyone know what they do about campfires at the campground or what you are expected to do?

John
The best I can tell it's a portable fire ring. I've seen them available in some stores where they sell camping equipment.

Got to go for now my time is running out!

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 07-07-2004, 03:05 PM   #76

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinky
We're in the Mackinaw Mill Campground now.
Bill, I assume they placed you in a site that is in the loop where all of us will be. Where are you at, and how far did they park you from the main drive (lakefront view)? From what I understand when groups reserve, they usually assign one of the group to the site closest to the lake. All the other folks are next to that person or nearby. That way they figure everyone can congregate at the site with the lake view.

Also when you let me know your site, tell me the loop number. I'm guessing we are somewhere within loops 1-9. The PDF map has no sites numbers so let us know how close you are to the road near the lake.
http://www.campmackinaw.com/2004/Cam...web%202004.PDF

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-07-2004, 03:28 PM   #77
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Bill, I assume they placed you in a site that is in the loop where all of us will be. Where are you at, and how far did they park you from the main drive (lakefront view)? From what I understand when groups reserve, they usually assign one of the group to the site closest to the lake. All the other folks are next to that person or nearby. That way they figure everyone can congregate at the site with the lake view.

Also when you let me know your site, tell me how many loops you pass on your left, once the main road straightens out on the lake front. That will give me a good point of reference in case my map has no site numbers.

Jack
Jack, we're on site 119, we did tell them we are with the Canavara group. This is a large park and bicycles would be handy. We're also not very far from the lake front at all. Just step outside and walk to the front of the camper and we can see the lake. Follow to "J" section go to row 6 then we looped around and parked in row 5.

I also I wanted to make a corection about the fire rings. After the last posting I noticed they have small fire pans throughout the park. It looks like you will have to empty the ashes into a can they provide, they don't allow open fires on the ground.

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 07-07-2004, 03:49 PM   #78

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinky
Follow to "J" section go to row 6 then we looped around and parked in row 5.

I also I wanted to make a corection about the fire rings. After the last posting I noticed they have small fire pans throughout the park. It looks like you will have to empty the ashes into a can they provide, they don't allow open fires on the ground.
Ok so you passed the big rock on the lake side (right) of the road and you are in row 5. I see that on the map. How many sites between you and the main road? Probably those sites will be for the rest of the group.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-09-2004, 10:39 PM   #79

Fenton , Missouri
Looks like I only have 3 not including us for the tour and lunch with Dr. C. I'll recheck with everyone there on Sunday. We hit the road tomorrow. See you there! Looks like its going to be a great week. Glad to get away from the humidity and the 90's here in STL.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-09-2004, 11:36 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

Torture,,, Oh,oh,oh torture........

I ENVY you all!! Take some clips and post PLEASE!

I spent most of my youth, teens and early twenties in the UP. When you head for Detour you will pass through Cedarville, my "summertime stompin grounds". If you all get a chance, make the locks at the Souix and pack heavy on FUDGE if you haven't already at Mack or St. Iggy.

Have FUN and WISH we were there!

Oscar
Old 07-10-2004, 02:20 PM   #81
Air # 3974

1986 34' Excella
south bend , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to drcharles2 Send a message via Yahoo to drcharles2
Dateline: DeTour and Drummond Island

Dear Jack,
At this time you should be en route to Mackinaw. The weather up here for the last ten days has been dreadful, cold and very damp. But that may change.

It could get worse.

In reality, today is ideal, sunny, 70, and the next week promises to be free from depression. The only things blue here are blue skies, blue eyes, and bleu cheese.

Let's plan on Wednesday, the 14th, and hope that at least some, if not all, of your rallyers will have taken the mandatory excursion trip to Mackinac Island, eaten fudge and taffy, strolled the porch of the Grand Hotel with the rich,white people, and bought mountains of trinkets and souvenirs to support the local tax scheme, while concomittantly dodging the molehills of horse turds that made the island famous.

Those that choose to come to DeTour will be pleasantly surprised. My wife, Lynn, is an incomparable hostess, much like Martha Stewart. Not under indictment or awaiting sentencing, however, she's does a nice lunch. Actually, she's really a very nice person, a quality that awes me. Dress will be 'airstream casual'. Of course, if any one chose to wear a toga, that's acceptable too. If you plan to speak only in Latin. And if you want to smoke a cigar, your date better be Fidel Castro with a box of havanas for the host.

You will only need to bring the following five items;
a) 100% deet
b) long sleeves
c) 100 % deet
d) comfortable walking shoes
e) 100% deet

You''ll be fine even if you forget two of the five as long as you omit, b) and d). Mosquitoes, pesky as they are, never have amnesia.

An aside: the cabin is dog-friendly as our two dogs, ReWind and WrongWay, welcome canine visitors for the rectal aroma exchange ritual. Both male, neutered, aged in dog-years at 12 y/o, neither has been charged with sexual assault. Recently. Nothing we plan to do will exclude pets. Bring them.

I'd hope that we can accomodate all of you, but understand that everybody has an internal schedule and perhaps other interests. The outing should, however, be the highlight of your rally.

I'll call you Monday and try to get down to see your 'rigs', introduce myself, and provide directions or answer questions. I have a question but can't ask aloud because Rewind and Wrongway are watching me type this note, but, (wink,wink ), "is slobbering a sex crime ?"

Good thing they can't read.

Kind regards,
Dr. C.
drcharles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 05:55 PM   #82

Fenton , Missouri
Well we are back. Just pulled in an hour ago and will be probably spending half the night and tomorrow just catching up on what went on.

In summary, those in attendance had a good time. The day's were glorious and the evening fires were definately needed. I'll post pictures once we decompress and get unpacked.

Hope all the other travelers had a uneventful safe trip home.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56
Old 07-18-2004, 10:58 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
It was great to meet w/"old" friends and meet some new. Finally, got to meet norbert (and his friend) and Bill & Donna (Silvertwinky). Our next door neighbors to the right were Bill & Ellen (wflorencejr) and sweet dog Buddy from VA. and on the left, fellow Michiganians, Ayrstrm2 arrived on Thursday. We had Orland and Jean, also from MI, in the row behind us. Al, a few sites down, was heading for home - can't remember where other than it was a long distance from MI. And of course, Jack & Patty and Eric & Brandy. And last but not least, our DeTour/Drummond Is. hosts, Dr.C and Lynn.

We were a little disapointed our sites weren't next to each other at first or at least in a back to back cluster on 2 rows. By the time we left there were 7 of us in a row. So much for requesting "the group". Also, I now think maybe it would be nice to always have a pot luck scheduled one evening. =)

We had a nice get away, enjoyed our trip to Drummond Is., hanging out w/the Streamers, my new FLAMINGO SOCKS, bought a painted tin fish for our fish room, eating at Darrow's (Bill & Donna will attest to that!) and a spectacular view of The Might Mac (Mackinaw bridge).

Thanks to all who made our 4th outing with Cupcake so enjoyable!,

sue
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:13 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

White Hall , Virginia
Thumbs up Macinaw Rally..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we
It was great to meet w/"old" friends and meet some new. Finally, got to meet norbert (and his friend) and Bill & Donna (Silvertwinky). Our next door neighbors to the right were Bill & Ellen (wflorencejr) and sweet dog Buddy from VA. and on the left, fellow Michiganians, Ayrstrm2 arrived on Thursday. We had Orland and Jean, also from MI, in the row behind us. Al, a few sites down, was heading for home - can't remember where other than it was a long distance from MI. And of course, Jack & Patty and Eric & Brandy. And last but not least, our DeTour/Drummond Is. hosts, Dr.C and Lynn.

We were a little disapointed our sites weren't next to each other at first or at least in a back to back cluster on 2 rows. By the time we left there were 7 of us in a row. So much for requesting "the group". Also, I now think maybe it would be nice to always have a pot luck scheduled one evening. =)

We had a nice get away, enjoyed our trip to Drummond Is., hanging out w/the Streamers, my new FLAMINGO SOCKS, bought a painted tin fish for our fish room, eating at Darrow's (Bill & Donna will attest to that!) and a spectacular view of The Might Mac (Mackinaw bridge).

Thanks to all who made our 4th outing with Cupcake so enjoyable!,

sue
Ellen and I would like to second the idea that the Rally was a great experience with much time to explore the area and make new friends.
Visiting with Dr. C and Lynn was definitely a high point for us and fortunately, we were able to leave before the famous DeTour mosquitoes carried us away! While evening fires were popular, it seemed at times were
were living in the middle of a forest fire.! Nevertheless, we truly enjoyed
meeting all of you.
We are still on the road at this time, in Traverse City, we are taken with the cool air "UP NORTH" as they say here.
Thanks, to Jack and Patti for their efforts in arranging the details. We hope to see you "down the road" sometime in the future.

Bill, Ellen and Buddy

Thorobred Jack-Beagle
wflorencejr is offline   Reply With Quote