Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2004, 12:02 PM   #61

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Hey Mackinaw City rally folks. I just got a PM from the infamous Drcharles2 also referred to as Dr C. He lives about 50 miles east of the Mackinac Bridge. Here is the text of his message to me.

"I would like to invite your group up to our home for a lunch on the north shore of Lake Huron. I could also provide a short guided tour to Drummond Island, by ferry, a truly unique natural geologic phenomenon. The total time to allot, perhaps four to six hours (hour drive each way to DeTour Village), if you would be interested as a day outing. You would be back at your campground by Miller time. Either Tues., the 13th or Wed., the 14th might be the best days for us."

I won't speak for you all but if you might be interested in going on this outing, let me know and how many are in your party. I'll call Charles and let him know what day and how many to expect. Looks like this may be a fun outing for the group.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 12:45 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

White Hall , Virginia
Invite from "Dr C"...

Hey, Jack, that certainly is very gracious invitation! Ellen and I would be happy to accept. The only caveat would be that we will be travelling with our small Jack Russell/Beagle and wouldn't want to leave him all day in the A/S. He doesn't bark and gets to travel with us to all points. If that would work for the Host, great, if not we would understand.

Regards,

Bill
Thorobred Jack-Beagle
wflorencejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 08:45 PM   #63

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wflorencejr
Hey, Jack, that certainly is very gracious invitation! Ellen and I would be happy to accept. The only caveat would be that we will be travelling with our small Jack Russell/Beagle and wouldn't want to leave him all day in the A/S. He doesn't bark and gets to travel with us to all points. If that would work for the Host, great, if not we would understand.

Regards,

Bill
We are bringing two dogs with us but normally in instances like this I'll turn on the air conditioning and close things up. With things closed up even if they do bark you really don't hear them. With the air on it drowns out most of the outside noise so they don't hear anything to trigger them off. Since the dogs don't get out in the morning until 8 hours of overnight, I can trust them to hang on till we get back. Looks like I'm figuring 6-7 hours of being gone. You could always depart back earlier if you want.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-04-2004, 07:47 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
most gracious! put me on the tentative list....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 07:59 AM   #65

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
most gracious! put me on the tentative list....
norby
Norby forgive me for asking but was this one or two on the list.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-04-2004, 11:08 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Thumbs up Drummond Is.

We have never been to Drummond Is. ( native Michiganians = ) but have always thought we'd go there "one of these days". And such a lovely invitation - gracious indeed!! We are very much interested in going, please put us (2) down on the list. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity to see the island in a special way. Either day is fine.

Now, please clue me in on Dr. C. I'm guessing he's an A/S devotee as well?? I'm feeling like there is something here I should know but don't.

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:01 AM   #67

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we
We have never been to Drummond Is. ( native Michiganians = ) but have always thought we'd go there "one of these days". And such a lovely invitation - gracious indeed!! We are very much interested in going, please put us (2) down on the list. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity to see the island in a special way. Either day is fine.

Now, please clue me in on Dr. C. I'm guessing he's an A/S devotee as well?? I'm feeling like there is something here I should know but don't.

suz
Suz, our connection with Dr. C., was interesting in its own right. He has a keen sense of humor and pulled most of our chains. Here is the thread that introduced him to us all.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ight=drcharles

Don't get discouraged by the first few post. Everything comes out in the end as your read on.

Thanks for your come back. I'll add you all to the count.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-07-2004, 10:28 AM   #68

Fenton , Missouri
Latest weather forecast for the next 10 days at Mackinaw City. Looks like Tuesday may be the only iffy day of the week. Great temps!

http://www.weather.com/weather/local...om=search_city

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-07-2004, 10:36 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Jack and all,

Some would say that the summer here in Michigan has been yucky so far, but if you're coming from a very hot place right now, the weather couldn't be better. Cool nights, pleasant days. Be warned, up at Mackinaw the nights can be VERY cool unless the weather turns for a hot spell. Bring fleece, build a campfire, and eat a pastie (if you've never been up that way, don't freak out, they don't involve exotic dancers!).

We'll see you up there Wednesday night!

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:50 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
This rally sounds like it's going to be a grand affair. The weather looks great for camping, and your week's plans sound like fun. The added bonus of the invitation from Dr. C puts you over the top! I'm purely green with envy--to meet one of our most enjoyable forum writers and to tour his home and the island as well! Have a great time and know that we'll all be thinking about you and looking forward to the reports after (or during!).
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:03 PM   #71
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
**We're In Mackinaw Now**

We're in the Mackinaw Mill Campground now. We came yesterday with the rain. The temperature when we got here was 54° and very windy. Make sure you bring a jacket, umbrellas, etc... whaterever you need to stay warm! You will also need some kind of container for a fire if you want to build one. There are no open fires allowed on the ground. I seen some fires here but they were in what looked like their own personal fire rings. We even had the furnace on last night, so come prepared. Hopefully, next week when every one gets here it will be warmer. I've asked around but they said they only had a few good days this year so far and this wasn't normal wheather for this time of year.
Big white caps on the beach yesterday!

There must be about 20 or 30 other A/S's here now. Must be some of those rallies going on. They all seem to have the big red numbers on them. I placed the forums rally sign in the yard so they could all take a good look.

Man, I miss my spell checker I have at home!

It's still nice here, looking forward to seeing everyone when you get here.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:13 PM   #72
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
**The Sun IS Shinning!**

Looking out of the store window right now; it actually looks like the sun is shinning!

Yippie!

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 07-07-2004, 01:14 PM   #73

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
This rally sounds like it's going to be a grand affair. The weather looks great for camping, and your week's plans sound like fun. The added bonus of the invitation from Dr. C puts you over the top! I'm purely green with envy--to meet one of our most enjoyable forum writers and to tour his home and the island as well! Have a great time and know that we'll all be thinking about you and looking forward to the reports after (or during!).
Sure wish you were going to be up there. This will be my third time up at this location and I continue to enjoy the area. This is really a neat place to go to. I wish more of the fourm folks were able to make it, but much like last year at Moraine View, its a learning experience. We almost doubled our attendance this year, maybe next we will hit 20 for this week long event.

I don't know everyone else's travel plans but my plans will get us there Sunday between 3-4 pm dependent upon the time we leave Benton Harbor KOA.

Those of you who haven't gotten back to me about Dr.C's lunch and tour offer please post me a reply. I need to call him to give him a head count.

See post #61 above.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-07-2004, 01:27 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
We will not be attending the lunch and tour. And what about no open fires? What sort of fire container is this? Does anyone know what they do about campfires at the campground or what you are expected to do?

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:33 PM   #75
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
We will not be attending the lunch and tour. And what about no open fires? What sort of fire container is this? Does anyone know what they do about campfires at the campground or what you are expected to do?

John
The best I can tell it's a portable fire ring. I've seen them available in some stores where they sell camping equipment.

Got to go for now my time is running out!

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 07-07-2004, 02:05 PM   #76

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinky
We're in the Mackinaw Mill Campground now.
Bill, I assume they placed you in a site that is in the loop where all of us will be. Where are you at, and how far did they park you from the main drive (lakefront view)? From what I understand when groups reserve, they usually assign one of the group to the site closest to the lake. All the other folks are next to that person or nearby. That way they figure everyone can congregate at the site with the lake view.

Also when you let me know your site, tell me the loop number. I'm guessing we are somewhere within loops 1-9. The PDF map has no sites numbers so let us know how close you are to the road near the lake.
http://www.campmackinaw.com/2004/Cam...web%202004.PDF

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-07-2004, 02:28 PM   #77
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Bill, I assume they placed you in a site that is in the loop where all of us will be. Where are you at, and how far did they park you from the main drive (lakefront view)? From what I understand when groups reserve, they usually assign one of the group to the site closest to the lake. All the other folks are next to that person or nearby. That way they figure everyone can congregate at the site with the lake view.

Also when you let me know your site, tell me how many loops you pass on your left, once the main road straightens out on the lake front. That will give me a good point of reference in case my map has no site numbers.

Jack
Jack, we're on site 119, we did tell them we are with the Canavara group. This is a large park and bicycles would be handy. We're also not very far from the lake front at all. Just step outside and walk to the front of the camper and we can see the lake. Follow to "J" section go to row 6 then we looped around and parked in row 5.

I also I wanted to make a corection about the fire rings. After the last posting I noticed they have small fire pans throughout the park. It looks like you will have to empty the ashes into a can they provide, they don't allow open fires on the ground.

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 07-07-2004, 02:49 PM   #78

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinky
Follow to "J" section go to row 6 then we looped around and parked in row 5.

I also I wanted to make a corection about the fire rings. After the last posting I noticed they have small fire pans throughout the park. It looks like you will have to empty the ashes into a can they provide, they don't allow open fires on the ground.
Ok so you passed the big rock on the lake side (right) of the road and you are in row 5. I see that on the map. How many sites between you and the main road? Probably those sites will be for the rest of the group.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-09-2004, 09:39 PM   #79

Fenton , Missouri
Looks like I only have 3 not including us for the tour and lunch with Dr. C. I'll recheck with everyone there on Sunday. We hit the road tomorrow. See you there! Looks like its going to be a great week. Glad to get away from the humidity and the 90's here in STL.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-09-2004, 10:36 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

Torture,,, Oh,oh,oh torture........

I ENVY you all!! Take some clips and post PLEASE!

I spent most of my youth, teens and early twenties in the UP. When you head for Detour you will pass through Cedarville, my "summertime stompin grounds". If you all get a chance, make the locks at the Souix and pack heavy on FUDGE if you haven't already at Mack or St. Iggy.

Have FUN and WISH we were there!

Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote