Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
The bridge connects the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan. The island is to the East. Here's a link that is all about Mackinac http://www.mackinac.com/index.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bridge.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	66993  

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I don't know if we are going to try to head out early Saturday for the ferry. But what I was thinking was to have the omlet and toast breakfast on Saturday, not Sunday. That way no one else had to fuss or spend time heating or cooking or cleaning up and we wouldn't be famished by the time we got there or be late leaving. I thought I would just put out the fixings and the boiling water and let everyone make their own and make it as simple as possible. Maybe we can have a bigger breakfast at our leisure on Sunday or maybe we are going to the island later on in the day Saturday afternoon. We might even be able to get a special rate for the ferry?

photography
Old 09-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
I have heard the majority of businesses on the island are closing down by the 1st Week to mid October,it may be wort h a phone call to the mac. city chamber of commerce....
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
Marquette , Michigan
My good friend runs Sea Biscuit, a nice restaurant on the Island. I will get in contact with her and get the scoop on when things are shutting down. We could perhaps plan to eat there, I'm sure Wendy would treat us right! Or maybe The Pink Pony, would be better...pink flamingo, pink pony, it's close right? Not to fear there are two restaurants that stay open year round. I took the plane over last St. Patrick's day for some fun with the locals. Wow, what a night!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #65
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
That sounds great, I know no matter what is open im going, I want to geocache, and see the fort, and say that I have Finally been to the island, its only taken me almost 22 years!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.PenAir View Post
My good friend runs Sea Biscuit, a nice restaurant on the Island. I will get in contact with her and get the scoop on when things are shutting down. We could perhaps plan to eat there, I'm sure Wendy would treat us right! Or maybe The Pink Pony, would be better...pink flamingo, pink pony, it's close right? Not to fear there are two restaurants that stay open year round. I took the plane over last St. Patrick's day for some fun with the locals. Wow, what a night!
Pink Pony - Pink Flamingo - and I'll add the Pink Elephants - sounds like I should make sure I pack my Pink Flannel PJ's and Pink Slippers too
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
I don't know if we are going to try to head out early Saturday for the ferry. But what I was thinking was to have the omlet and toast breakfast on Saturday, not Sunday. That way no one else had to fuss or spend time heating or cooking or cleaning up and we wouldn't be famished by the time we got there or be late leaving. I thought I would just put out the fixings and the boiling water and let everyone make their own and make it as simple as possible. Maybe we can have a bigger breakfast at our leisure on Sunday or maybe we are going to the island later on in the day Saturday afternoon. We might even be able to get a special rate for the ferry?

......always thinking

We will have to have helpers with the omelets it is really hard to hold open a zip lock bag and laddle the liquid egg into it. they made it look so easy at the rally. We just held open our bag and nodded down the line. I thought I was in an Oliver Disnesy Movie - Might need a laddl'er not a great morning functioning person

Yes it would be quick and easy though for Saturday. Why heck if it is a really cold morning we can just keep breakie in hands and eat on the way right out of the bag.

Hey Carol you and I could experiement with our bags - we could cut up french bread into small squares and toss in the bag and have Monty Christos - Swiss Alps Style

Light bulb....Monty's for Sunday Brunch with Hashbrowns - YUM

I am game for anything....
Old 09-07-2008, 10:17 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
That sounds great, I know no matter what is open im going, I want to geocache, and see the fort, and say that I have Finally been to the island, its only taken me almost 22 years!
Well then I can say it has taken me 47 years to say I been to the Island....Must be the year of the Island for me

PEI
Cape Breton
and soon to be.......the "Big Mac"
Old 09-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #69
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Yea, But I have passed the Island about 50 times, and have crossed the bidge about half that amount and have never gone before, I have lived in MI all this time, and have never been there, but you have me beat, you have PEI! I want to go there one day!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Here's a locator map of the island for a sneak peek.

Oh Sharon you know I love monte cristos!!! Gee now I am drooling... You need help in the morning? What constitutes morning for ya girl?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mackinacislandlocatormap[1].pdf (1.66 MB, 83 views)

photography
Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Here's a locator map of the island for a sneak peek.

Oh Sharon you know I love monte cristos!!! Gee now I am drooling... Help in the morning? You? What constitutes morning for ya girl?

aaaahhh yep you just might have a point there.....lets see would you count now as morning - since yesterday is already gone and today is already here? Or is today better stated when it starts maybe 5 hours from now - so if it is only 5 hours by the time my thought patterns are finished from yesterday then prey tell what is the point of going to bed today when I could go to bed tomorrow which would put me into Tuesday already....
Old 09-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
We're putting you in charge of midnight and twilight snacks. What am I talking 'bout, I don't do mornings either, Here I thought making coffee for the April rally was an easy thing, until I stumbled around and figured out I needed coffee before I could make the coffee.

photography
Old 09-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario

That would be like the blind leading the blind...

Name:   2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  2.4 KB

But the only thing I can relate to is the 3 blind mice - "tail" has it it's not really related - thus we would need to recruit a newbie to sub in when we can not find the coffee in the morning....or was that afternoon, or dusk

Toss a coin who wants to volunteer UPenAir or Rollerboy
Old 09-07-2008, 11:08 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Jess I think having lunch at your friend's place would be terrific.

I know I have done nothing but talk about food, but I just know I will get hungry, lol, trying to plan ahead so I know what to bring. Getting up early is a whole nuther thing in itself.

photography
Old 09-08-2008, 04:38 AM   #75
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
We're putting you in charge of midnight and twilight snacks. .............
so tell me tell me....is this what it is like to be up like in the "early bird catches the worm - or frost bite"!!!

Wowsers cold and foggy this morning - outside I mean....

Who is putting the coffee on?

Dry run everyone - get up and grab a bag for breakfast....yes that is right you have to unzip that bag before you can put things in it

hmmm plight of the plastic bag peoples comes to mind - could make an Airstream movie out of it tee hee...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #76
Mendo Metal Monster

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Mendocino , California
Wilderness/Mackinac Rally

I've been trying to follow this blog for a couple of weeks as my wife and I will be in the middle of our annual trek East and visiting friends on the island around Sept. 25th. As we are coming from Mendocino, Ca. we've been looking for a place to stay in the area and from the comments I've read, Wilderness State Park appears to be a great spot. Would have been nice to hook-up with some of you folks for a couple of evenings; but it looks like you've settled on the Oct. dates which will find us in NH.

At any rate, just wanted to say thanks for the info and if you happen to get there early stop by and say hey. We'll be the 25 ft safari metal monster with the Cal plates!

Cheers,

d
strodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Oh darn, sorry the dates aren't matching up for your stay and the rally. And all the way from California! You will love it there. I hope there will be early birds to meet you. I sure am tempted.

photography
Old 09-09-2008, 12:11 AM   #78
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thumbs up more teasers!

Come one, come all! If you come to the Mackinac City Forums Rally then this could be your campsite! (Lakeside Campground, Wilderness State Park.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_1873.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	67104   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1879.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	67105  

Name:	_MG_1914.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	67106   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1919.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	67107  

Name:	_MG_2045.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	67108   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2051.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	67109  

Name:	_MG_2068.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	67110   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2070.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	67111  

Name:	_MG_2079.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	67112  

photography
Old 09-09-2008, 07:13 AM   #79
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
I WANT THAT SPOT CAROL!!! Everyone, that is my camping spot!!

Old 09-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #80
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Great photos Carol! Sorry I'm down with an icky cold so I've missed all the fun. Lakeshore is great. I'm camping at an undisclosed location on the lakeside, we'll bring 2 kayaks. Be sure to have enough propane to run your furnace at night!