Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
This trip has made onto our possibility list. Due to finances, other commitments, etc. we have decided to do one "long" trip this year. The short list includes this, Springstream, Falluminum and Dutch Oven. Now the hard part will be to pick a winner.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, they all sound good. Would love to have you come with us. We are driving the Cane River Road from Natchitoches to Morganza as I write this (Doug is driving )

This is such a special part of the country, with such deep roots in US history. We fall more in love with it every time we come.

Maggie

Old 01-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Greetings from Plantation Country!

We have revisited Poche Plantation RV Resort in Convent, LA, which is as nice and pretty as we remembered, and which can accommodate us in May. They are right on the Great River Road and will allow easy access to the area. Good Sam or AAA give rates at $30 per night, otherwise rates are $33.

See updates to the Itinerary, above.

Maggie
Old 01-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Is the French Quarter RV resort going to accept some older trailers? From the pictures all I see are humungous Class A's. Some of these places will only accept rigs 10 years or newer and some of them further limit it to Class A's only. Something to look into as Maccamper is a 70's model and we are an '88.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am not aware of any restrictions at all on trailers, which would be on their website. Also, when we were down there for JazzFest this past spring, there was an older AS Motorhome there at the same time, along with some of those humongous $1,000,000+ rigs. We are a 22' Class B. Nobody cared, they were very hospitable.

French Quarter RV resort sells their sites, which are then rented out when the site owners are not there.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
LOOZIANA MUSIC NOTE: catch my band, Creole String Beans

Creole String Beans - New Orleans, LA -

at JazzFest April 30 !!!! be there don't miss it! come say hi!

then the next night I have a reunion of my former smokin rockabilly trio, The Bush Hogs, at the legendary Saturn Bar on Rampart Street!!

bring the whole rally!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wish we were going to be there then! Hope to meet you May 6th or 7th, when we will be in NOLA, or at one of our other stops.

Maggie
Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #50

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
If ya end up looping thru the V'burg/Jackson MS area for and overnight, lemme know and I'll do what I can to assist.

I wonder if a tour the National Battlefield Park with Trailers in tow could be done?
Vicksburg National Military Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Probably not, it can be twisty but I might just check it out....
Old 01-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Greetings from Cajun Country

Thanks for the offer of assistance, HiHoAgRV! We may be driving through Natchez and Vicksburg on the way home, but won't be able to do an overnight stop there this trip. Hope you can get down to see us at one of our Louisiana stops.

On another note, Betty's RV Park in Abbeville is a gem of a place, and seems to be sought out by RV'ers coming to Cajun Country from all over the world. RV'er's come here for a few days and stay for weeks. Betty is the owner/operator, lives on site and takes a personal interest in insuring "my RV'er's", as she calls them, have a good time. She couldn't be more friendly and helpful, and accompanied 13 (including us) to a local place for seafood last night---many pounds of crawfish the size of small mice were consumed, along with huge fried shrimp, oysters, etc., and the most delicious Bloody Mary I have ever had.

However, the city park campground here in Abbeville, recommended by Shacksman, may be a better spot for us. Aside from Betty's being adults-only, there is no place for pets and parking for visitors/space for a potluck would be limited. We are going to "be still" today, after 5 days of driving, and check out the city park tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Roswell , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to desidou Send a message via Yahoo to desidou
doug&maggie -

Can you let me know where you were able to get boiled crawfish near Abbeville? I am from the Lafayette, LA area originally and we are in town visiting family and we are looking to get some boiled crawfish tonight or tomorrow night before we head back to Atlanta (where we presently reside).

Coincidentally, my husband is from IL - the Decatur/Forsyth area. Isn't it a small world?

Desi
AIR # 8298
Old 01-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hi Desi,

We got crawfish at the Cajun Claw in Abbeville, right up the road from Betty's. She was born and raised in this area and this is the place she swears by. The crawfish were the biggest we have ever seen, and this place is only open when good and plentiful crawfish are available. They also serve fresh shrimp, oysters, catfish, etc. A family run restaurant, the perfect local spot.

They start serving at 5pm, a line starts to form about 3:30pm for seating, (no reservations) and then people hang out in the bar area. Because Betty and her RV'er's are regulars there, we even got to see the crawfish being cooked and readied for consumption, and the owner has offered a tour of the rice fields where crawfish are "grown", which we are planning to do with some others here on Monday. Who knew crawfish live in flooded rice fields after the harvest! So fun!

We are in an Airstream Interstate, silver/grey with Illinois plates, if you want to stop by. Love to meet you.

Maggie
Old 01-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Roswell , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to desidou Send a message via Yahoo to desidou
Cajun Claws! I am so jealous! I called them this morning and their message says they are opening again on Wednesday, so I think we're out of luck this time around

I knew that crawfish were farmed from flooded rice fields, but then again, I grew up in this area, so I just thought everyone knew that.

We do have a few places we can get good boiled crawfish in Atlanta - I am an LSU alumni, so they have a crawfish boil every year. I may just have to settle for that option this year. The cold weather really impacted the crawfish harvest in the past few weeks. My cousin is married to a crawfish farmer and he said out of 400 traps, he only harvested 10 lbs of crawfish. That's awful.

Anyway, we are thinking we may stop by. I'll send you a private msg with my cell phone number in case we decide to drop by to visit. The rain is keeping us close to Lafayette today, we'll see if we feel like venturing out to Abbeville

Sounds like they are really showing you a good time, Cajun people are some of the most friendly, down to earth people I've ever met. I must admit though that I am biased Glad to hear they are showing you what the true Cajun culture is all about.

Desi
AIR # 8298
Old 01-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Okay, we checked out the City Park/CG here in Abbeville, which is decent and has a dump station, but quite a ways out from the center of things.

We are inclined to recommend staying at Betty's or at the campground directly across the road from her (Hebert's Cajun RV Park), which is grassy, more spread out and has a small pavillion with tables. Depending on how many of us there are, we could do either or both. Betty requires a non-refundable first-night's deposit, and fills up rather quickly. As of today's date, she has no reservations for May 2nd & 3rd, when we would be here.

Thoughts?

Maggie
Old 01-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
if you can find a place called 'HAWKS' way out in the woods around Church Point, you will have hit Crawfish Ground Zero, in my opinion...

you'll have to ask around, and they're only open six months out of the year, but you will not find bigger, cleaner, spicier, more perfect crawfish on earth..

Closed Thread