Old 09-04-2006, 12:43 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Nope I don't think I could get through with wriggle room. I even got myself stuck in July when I entered a National Forest area that I found the gate closed after turning in and would not dare to back out onto the highway with basically a blind driveway and not enough room to turn. Anyone ever have to make 4 zillion 3 point turns?!!!!!

I try to get my husband to set me up then I either stay hitched for short trips or leave the receiver on the car when I disconnect. When my husband and I travel we each have our "jobs" and it goes like clockwork, when I solo...well...just don't hold your breath waiting on me!

I do know what you mean though, at the WBCCI rallies there is a section for vintage, one for dogs, one for generators, one for presidents. I do wonder where the parkers put the vintage past presidents with dogs operating a generator.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:20 AM   #44
_

. , .
hi carol,

with the hensley you can leave the stinger attached to the truck full time. just pad it when not towing.

nothing to lift then. only need to tighen over center latches and use a power drill to raise the w/d bars... same drill can be used to lower jacks...

how about having the rally near a womens theme....

lister 'sister', in oregon or other spots named for famous broads....

cheeers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Bob-- You could always take her to the edge of town and turn her loose!!! Then at a predetermined time meet her there and you could bring it back in through the traffic. ----- pieman
Old 09-04-2006, 10:39 AM   #46
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
I'm on board for a women's camping group. I'm on the west coast though. Any other west coast women who would like to get a group together?

And guys...no offense but I think the idea is a "girls night out" type of thing. We have PLENTY of all inclusive groups and rallies. I have gone on a few women's camping trips and had a great time. Hubby also thinks it's a great idea and wouldn't dream of crashing the women's weekend any more than I would horn in on his golf weekend with his buddies. There are enough options for everyone.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:54 AM   #47

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think a girls trip would be fun. I nearly went to a forum rally by myself when my husband couldn't make it, I was going to bring my dog (who's also a girl) and call it a girl's night out But then he was able to go after all.

I don't mind hooking up or towing my rig myself. I have taken it by myself to the shop for maintenance and stuff like that. The one thing I don't like is backing up, but if I was out by myself it might force me to learn. My husband didn't know any more than I did 4 years ago when we bought it, but he got the hang of backing up really quick, and I have not. Probably because when the going gets tough, I just tell him to do it!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #48
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
The one thing I don't like is backing up, but if I was out by myself it might force me to learn. My husband didn't know any more than I did 4 years ago when we bought it, but he got the hang of backing up really quick, and I have not. Probably because when the going gets tough, I just tell him to do it!
I think that's part of the reason for women going it alone...we'll figure out how to do it ourselves instead of letting someone else do it which is a good thing. And we can help each other. I was pretty intimidated about backing up at first (still am a little ) but have found that if you have someone directing you who knows what to tell you it's not too hard. Just like anything else, the more you do it the easier it gets. We'll all be pros in no time!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:46 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Backing up

Don't feel bad, I approached backing up with fear and loathing too. It took me a solid year to feel like I was making any progress, then all of a sudden I started to get it... And longer trailers are a lot less squirrelly than shorter ones.

The things I finally figured out were:
1) less is more - turn the wheel 1/8 to 1/4 turn not half way around
2) hand on bottom, turn in direction you want back end of trailer to go...
3) #2 works only if tow vehicle and trailer are relatively straight, AND your wheels are straight too.... lean out and LOOK!
4) loosen or remove anti sway stuff in tight areas.

I too got stuck in a tiny parking lot and took umpteen 3 degree turns to make it out.

Paula.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Nope I don't think I could get through with wriggle room. I even got myself stuck in July when I entered a National Forest area that I found the gate closed after turning in and would not dare to back out onto the highway with basically a blind driveway and not enough room to turn. Anyone ever have to make 4 zillion 3 point turns?!!!!!
Well, we have only had our airstream for a few weeks, and I haven't towed it yet. I'm still getting used to the new truck.

A couple of years ago, we went camping at Sun Lakes State Park in WA, with our tent trailer. We went down the back entrance, like always, and came to a locked gate! There was no room for turning around (not easily anyway) and it was dark. Katy (our oldest) and I used flashlights to try and light up the area so Sam could get us turned around. After trying for 1/2 hour or so, our solution was to unhitch the tent trailer from the suburban, turn it around by hand, and rehitch and be on our merry way! I don't think we will be able to do that with the airstream, but Sam says it tows SO MUCH EASIER than the tent trailer, that he would just back it out. Perhaps if we just pay attention to "road closed" signs we won't find ourselves in that predicament again.

Robyn
Old 09-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRoffe
Perhaps if we just pay attention to "road closed" signs we won't find ourselves in that predicament again.

Robyn
That's for sure!!! I learned my lesson the hard way about that. I was so anxious to let the parade of held up traffic by I didn't even notice the brown on brown over sign under the name. Morale of the story: Always read the fine print!!---course I would have had to drive even slower then.

photography
Old 09-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #52
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Talking Name for the gatherings

Carol,
We can call it a "Doe Tow". How does that sound?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Carol,
We can call it a "Doe Tow". How does that sound?
Just trying to be helpfull ---How about "Ewe Haul"
pieman
Old 09-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #54

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
And longer trailers are a lot less squirrelly than shorter ones.
I keep hearing that, but since mine is a single axel shorty I guess I just need to get used to the 'squirrelly' ones

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Doe tow and ewe haul are terrific!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks Michelle and Mike.

Bamcamper and Steph we are growing! Yea! We'll get you on and then get the contact list to you and hopefully have more information to send out within a few days.

2air, there is Sister Bay in Door County WI and Twin Sisters at Mississippi Pallisades, IL, too. (Another benefit of the Hensley is I wouldn't get goo all over my hands.)

Congratulations on the new truck and Airstream Robyn, bet it won't take you long to get accustomed to it. Bradley used to turn the 8' pop-up so I could get just the right view. Those were times to remember, loading fresh ice, emptying portapotties, 5 gallon water jug as a fresh water tank.

Summerkid, Jamie, Donna and you all have Bambis, anyone else have a Bambi?

photography
Old 09-04-2006, 06:11 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, 2air. By the way, the city in Oregon is "Sisters" referring to the mountains in the view, not Sister. And I wouldn't use the term "Broad" within slapping range.

Bob