Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2006, 08:23 AM   #381
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
...dreaming of a white Christmas, and

...wishing you all a Merry Christmas, Joyous Holiday Season, and Happy New Year!!

- Jamie
Attached Images

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #382
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Dallas , Texas
Happy Holidays, ladies!!!!!

Well, the stockings are hung by the chimney with care, the gifts are wrapped, food cooked, the wine is decanted and "opening up" and I'm sitting down for a breather. Tomorrow, I'm off to the suburbs to my sister's home where all my loved ones will be gathered, including my sweet little 89 year old Mother. There we will create piles of colored paper, eat copious amounts of turkey, ham and all the fixins' then scream our bloody heads off as we watch our beloved Cowboys beat the tar out of the Philadelphia Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!!
A BLESSED CHRISTMAS TO ONE AND ALL!!

Nancy
Old 12-24-2006, 06:14 PM   #383
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Well, the kids have come home, even the ones from the Colorado ski trip!, the young grandkids are chasing-playing hide and seek in spare bedrooms, the older ones are acting "cool," the crab legs are all just piles of empty shells and the ham shows more bone now than steak, gooey chocolate cake disappeared under melting ice cream, and it's almost time to open "just one" present before everyone goes home for a long night's sleep. Gypsy has a present: an ID sign, in time for the Can Opener. The kids'll all be back in the morning, but for now, life is good, if a bit noisy. Good night, and Merry Christmas See you in the campgrounds~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #384
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Rivetting Contest Winner

Congratulations Sharon! Your lovely ambient photo taken inside Moonbeam wins.

Here is Sharon's photo http://www.airforums.com/photo...i=14058&c=3223

She has a before and after sequence and it really shows the great job of transforming her Airstream.

Now as soon as the tote bags are available I will have one for you. Thanks for being a good sport and soooo glad you decided not to sell and are coming to the Solstice Rally in June. Maybe you will repost your picture for us here too.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:33 AM   #385
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Congratulations Sharon! Your lovely ambient photo taken inside Moonbeam wins.

Here is Sharon's photo http://www.airforums.com/photo...i=14058&c=3223

She has a before and after sequence and it really shows the great job of transforming her Airstream.

Now as soon as the tote bags are available I will have one for you. Thanks for being a good sport and soooo glad you decided not to sell and are coming to the Solstice Rally in June. Maybe you will repost your picture for us here too.
On behalf of all my broken nails, bank account with peaks and valleys, numerous bumps on the head, cuts on the fingers, empty hours staring and admiring each reno step MoonBeam, Peter and I thank you all.

What a lovely surprise (was I the only submission )

A great way to start 2007 - not winning something but with the prospect of MoonBeam's future adventures with our family. Mom was so glad we did not sell her - Dad thought we were nuts, my brother said "I new you couldn't do it" and Peter says we wil have to make the driveway bigger! But me - I'm making a list for our gift certificate from Mom and Dad for a mini shopping spree at the Vintage Trailer Supply - yiiiipeeee....

I have been going through withdrawals - no internet for the Christmas break!

Now as I sit and determine my lifes fate for 2007 - resolutions or promises or should we just call them common sense wishes that need to turn into reality. Four years ago was the cigarette addiction - and now it will be the healthy eating and exercise reality show for me. Any of you gals want to join?

Did the BMI thing this morning OMG!!!!!...... I must have gained all that in one week - tee hee - good excuse though eh? Blame it on Christmas.

Seriously I know these two are the lame resolutions for the new year - but sometimes they work - I'm proud to say I am smoke free - and I am crossing my fingers for the second serious time in my life that about 6months to a year from now I can say wow - what a difference dropping weight and exercise has done for my overall health and hope to gain back years of Airstreaming in our later life because of it.

I want to see even the life style of many rallies out their change - no more driving for a day or two, sitting for hours and days on end then eating up a storm and polishing off the day with an icecream bar.....we gotta rise up and get moving and be innovative with our culinary skills and polish off the day with a no fat jello or protein rich pudd'n..... we gotta get high on life not junk food and alcohol - okay a couple of glasses of wine if we are good

So any takers want to start a CyberAS Health Club??? Our rewards could be the Rivett Rallies where we get to let our hair down for a weekend.

Bring on the summer Solstice setting my goals today for that specific weekend. Cause it is winter and there is nothing else for us to do up here. Althought the roads are great for traveling NO SNOW!!!!!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE - may it be the best ever for you. I wonder how many people out their have "7" as there lucky number??? It is mine - was my sports number on all my team jerseys.

Off to design our new life menu.....
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:50 AM   #386
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Sharon,
You know you bring up an interesting point. Just how does one have an exercise program while you are on the road? I desperately need one. Summer is coming and it would be nice to loose as much weight as possible.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #387
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Sharon,
You know you bring up an interesting point. Just how does one have an exercise program while you are on the road? I desperately need one. Summer is coming and it would be nice to loose as much weight as possible.
I knew this would be cool.....

I am not on the road like you and I am sure it would present some challenges. Personally I am not into those fitness clubs with 100 women lined up on a power walker or stationary bikes - but the concept of sharing innovative ideas is a real plus if you can get one started with a smaller group or a group that has something ELSE in common like hmmm lets see - oh I know pick me pick me - we have Airstreams in common....

So thecatsandi - is calling out for innovative ideas for an exercise program while on the road. Common girls toss in the ideas....then the fun part is you pick the ones you like and plan out your week - but have the back ups for the days that what you have picked don't quite line up.

The first step to anything is to take a look at where you are now (hmmm not the place you are staying but who you are - what makes you tick) Find out the things you like - or the routines you have got yourself into.
Do you ride a bike?
Do you have a DVD player?
Can you lay down on a mat on the floor? Alternative - We know you can lay down on your bed tee hee (or do we??? )
Do you have a bit of extra cash for some exercise toys? (no not those kind of toys.... )
Can you describe your eating styles to yourself? the food part not the wine.
Do you like to walk and talk?
Do you like to swim? - or canoe, kayak?
Do you like to cook or eat out?
Do you like to sit and watch TV - shows or movies news etc?

Next you can identify some key areas where exercise can present itself.
A good start which I just saw on TV last night - (30 minutes of walking a day 60 minutes of breaking a sweat per week and 30 minutes of weight lifting per week.) The key is to go beyond the statements.

i.e. how the hell am I going to break a sweat for an hour???
I play hockey once a week - so there is my bit - I am up to half hour before my heart feels like it is going to explode - hope by the end of March I can last the full hour.

* Set up and take down your camp not just once but 4-5 times I bet you would break out a sweat. Clean your trailer from top to bottom with a cloth and water. That way you look like you are doing something sane and not insane - but really you are just using your Airstream as the exercise tool.

Where on earth am I going to weight lift and with what?
First think of it a different way - resistance activities for various parts of the body. Why you can use your own body as resistance. Arms, legs and upper body and really important the back muscles.
Here are just a few to start...The back muscles - "pelvic tilt" a great builder and reliever of lower back pain - with no weights.
Wall push ups.

Walking every day! alone???
There are other ways you can walk - measure the distance around the outside of your trailer - then determine the number of rotations to equal a mile - go circl'n girl - just pretend you are looking for scratches on the trailer.

Pick up a stationary trainer for your bike if you have one - hook it up under the awning or inside if you have the room - I can fit mine in the MoonBeam and she is only 21' so I am sure you could fit one inside yours. and lifting the bike in and out of the trailer is another weight lifting exercise.

On the weight loss side - start with drinking lots of water - then go through your cupboards and dump out the empty carbs - like white breads, potato chips nachos, muffins etc. Ditch the sugar stuff - common on I know there are chocolates in that trailer. Now determine the foods that you like as individual foods -

I do not do very well on someone elses diet - so I like to make up my own good food meals and this is the fun part - we could exchange ideas here for various meals we like and help each other as to whether they are healthy or not.....

Just a start....
Old 01-02-2007, 12:25 PM   #388
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Exercise On The Road......

....can be inexpensive or (my favorite "F" word) FREE and space saving (just what an ASer needs!)

Walking. Obviously free, can be done any where, however, a very good shoe is a very good idea. Ordinary weather = ordinary clothes. Adverse weather = no excuses. Rain gear, rubber shoe covers, hook-on "shoe grippers" for icy conditions and winter garb if needed. Also, a pocket flashlight and maybe a reflective vest. Ike : 6' 2", 175 lbs.(not a shy eater), 5 mi.(15 min. mi.) each and every day keeps weight off. When going away, he'll go either early before or late after returning. This guy has fortitude!

Toning. Weigh and mark off lbs. on water filled milk jugs or use your canned goods in net bags or pillowcases etc. for lifting. Ike uses a resistance band. They come in different degrees of resistance, take up zero room and last a really long time. Every AS has enough room for a few sit-ups etc.

NOTE: Although I've seen these practices in action I've never actually tried them myself. Yet. Why does it sound so easy???

SISTERS, WE CAN DO IT !!!!

suz

PS Does anyone have interest in a Rivette "weight watching" thread with easy recipes & tips for travel with tiny kitchens?
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #389
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we
....NOTE: Although I've seen these practices in action I've never actually tried them myself. Yet. Why does it sound so easy???
I hear ya - me too.

But today I have taken the time to get all the "bench marks" down on paper - even paced out the mile on our driveway and did the mile in a brisk walking pace - took me from my resting pulse of 63 to 110 and in record time 21 minutes (okay so that is my only time)

Took down the other bench marks too - and if I knew this was a girls only thread - I would list them but - I do not want to give any of the lurking fellows a heart attack

But I have my goals now - scoped the cupboards and good thing they are bare so we can have a fresh start.

It will be somewhat easy if I can get the Hubby in on the healthy eating. He is a type 1 Diabetic insulin dependant - bean pole - but he loves his chocolates and empty carbs - and he is the shopper of the household. But with his portions that he has to have the task of menus should be fairly easy. I love making home made soups filled with interesting veggies and do not like the fat so that will be a great start too now that winter is here.

Breakfast and Soups that I could live on. I can switch to whole wheat bread from white no problem - and get into drinking our spring water everyday instead of pop - although all our drinks are sugar free and have been since 1993 (when Peter was diagnosed with Late onset Youth Diabetes) Love the veggie stir fry with olive oil and we can live on chicken as we just love it.

Now to get past the sauces, and condements and all the other little things that add up in a hurry and do the most damage!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikel1we
PS Does anyone have interest in a Rivette "weight watching" thread with easy recipes & tips for travel with tiny kitchens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
So any takers want to start a CyberAS Health Club???

Hey call it what you want - I am in.....

Tip number one - you have to want to make a change in life and like Rosie says "We CAN DO IT"

So my goal is I want to have a body like Rosie instead of a 1947 Bubble. I want to power a rivet gun and get into the spice of life. I want to tow it and show it.....
Old 01-02-2007, 10:48 PM   #390
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thumbs up We're silver

What a terrific thread! So many realistic, practical suggestions for taking care of our health while we travel and enjoy. Yay!
One of my worries about this new road trip life-style has been about being too sedentary. I don't do a lot of planned activity, because living in the country and being a crazed gardener keeps me pretty much "in the gym" at home. But I can see muy big problems with time spent gazing at scenery and making tasty, fun meals to celebrate the end of the road. Not good.
Walking is clearly the most accessible option for burning calories and doing some weight-bearing, but to do "the job" it has to be done at a pretty quick clip, and for at least 30-40 minutes. Not sure that's going to be on my agenda, although any walking at all is a good thing.
But I can see taking a yoga mat along, and starting and ending the day with some good stretches. Easy.
I'm reading about so many terrific suggestions here (thanks Sharon, Suz) that--if I make a realistic plan-- I think I might be able to stave off the slug-butt even on those days that don't lend themselves to hiking, biking or kayaking. And I love love the idea of sharing healthy and easy food suggestions.
Michelle, full-timing has its own challenges, and I bet you can do a good work-out with a few weights and some "step" workout tapes or CDs, even in crummy weather. The main thing is to do it regularly and get some cardio along with the weights and stretching. Breaking a sweat is a requirement. Unlike flying.
And for those of you who have quit smoking--or are trying to--I am your best cheerleader. As a non-smoking nurse, I have seen this addiction as being the most destructive of women's health as well as one of the most difficult addictions to conquer. And hey--you're an Airstreamer. You can do it!
Take care,
Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #391
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Happy healthy new year rivettes...

Can't wait to rally with you all!
Old 01-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #392
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Dallas , Texas
Hey, ladies! Happy New Year!

Well, I hope you all made it through the Holidays unscathed. I did, and even got through with most of my mind intact, which is a good ole fashioned Christmas miracle! This weekend, we Texans are being challenged with an arctic cold front with possible icing included!!! Now you Northern gals are probably laughing because you have just completed shoveling 12 feet of snow from your front walks without breaking a sweat and are now warming yourselves by a roaring fire. Me, I'm shivering after having just returned from the grocery store where I encounterd several hundred other jittery Dallasites who believe that a 2 micron coating of ice is cause for general panic and possibly the beginning of a weekend without basic services and total anarchy. Honestly! You would think that WWIII was beginning! People were scraping in the aisles over the last Wick Fowlers chili kit, and having tug of wars with batteries and candles! Now I managed to get that last chili kit. And I scored two pounds of ground turkey for my low fat chili, as most Texans prefer the beef variety! Woohoo! I also got a beautiful chuck roast and the necessary potatoes, carrots and celery. But I'll be darned if I didn't have to arm wrestle with some personal trainer type over the last onion! I was able to overcome him by yelling "LOOK! An avacado!!" I pinned his well-muscled arm as he was distracted by the thought of fresh guacamole. Whew! I barely made it over to the mob scene which was the checkout line before he came to his senses and began to wonder what had hit him, and where the heck did that onion go!?.....
Now I am home, safely blogging in my for-the-moment, warm and cozy den. Any moment that could change. WAIT! Was that a speck of ice I heard falling on my roof? IT WAS! IT WAS! I must alert the authorities! Listen girls, if I should not happen to survive this arctic assault on the fair streets of balmy Dallas, please remember me as I might look tomorrow. Slightly glazed over by a thin coat of ice, a glass of Bordeaux frozen in my hand, with a belly full of chili, on hold with the overwhelmed power company and with a vaguely happy look on my face, as I'm sure my last thought will be of my Bambi happily rolling down the highway!

BTW, gals, let's get to posting again! I miss the banter, and I want to hear what Santa bestowed upon you. I got a scale model Airstream!! Its door even opens! And I got a baseball cap with an Airstream on it! And flannel Airstream/pink flamingo pojammies (that's pajamas in the Southern language). Best of all, I got to be with my wonderful family!

The Cowboys are now dead to me.......... please, no one ever mention that name to me again.............. I am considering becoming a rabid fan of some other football team yet to be determined. Any suggestions?

Update on the totes...... they're not done yet. Sis-in-law is studying for her Series 7 brokers license, but promises that there will be totes with Rosie on them in your near future. Sharon, I know you won the photo contest, so your tote will be the first! Bear with us!

Okay gals, who's next? Let's talk!! Happy New Year to you all.....

Nancy
Old 01-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #393
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Hi Nancy,
Great to hear from you again. Sorry to hear that you are having problems with ice. We had a small problem with that this Monday here in SW Michigan. My husband knows all about that. But I wouldn't ask him about it if I were you. We had several inches of snow a couple of weeks before Christmas but nothing but a dusting since then. Our weather has not been that different from yours. But, from what here on our local weather things are about to change. The weather has been strange so far. We have had dandelions blooming, grass greening up, and trees budding. Oh my, I hope that doesn't mean that there will be a delay in the trees leafing out in the spring.

I am glad to hear that you made it through the madness in one piece. I remember those kind of days very well while living in NW Louisiana. I loved you account of your experience, BTW.

Most of us have been posting on the thread, "Rivettes Summer Solistice Rally". Be sure and check it out. Sharon (GT6921) and Jamie (dougjamie) have been very creative lately. We also had solidified our destination and dates. I sure wished that you were going to be able to attend. But as they say, "Life Happens". Hopefully we will be able to meet up somewhere out there on the road!

Vickie
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:30 AM   #394
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Hey Nancy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiancreek
The Cowboys are now dead to me.......... please, no one ever mention that name to me again.............. I am considering becoming a rabid fan of some other football team yet to be determined. Any suggestions?
...Nancy
Hey Nancy,
Glad to hear you are back! You know the Lions have been dead to me for a while now, so I hear ya about the Cowboys. There's always hockey, it is a more exciting game after all and the Detroit Redwings are always accepting new fans...

Like Vickie suggested, check out the cute logo Sharon and Jamie made for the rally, I swiped it for my avatar!
Be safe!
Old 01-14-2007, 09:18 AM   #395
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Nancy - welcome back ----where we're ya anyway??

A little bit of ice and the world shuts down - that is too funny - but as far as us northern girls shovelling snow - NOPE none of that stuff here - not quite as warm as MI - but yesterday was the first day in over a month we have gone into the negatic celsius -11c and of course just when we get home from a day of hunting for new propane tanks - the furnace is blowing cold!!!

Trying to keep the house above 50F so the pipes and my own pipes don't freeze. We have a wood stove for back up and 3 space heaters - one of which is assigned to the basement to keep the water from freezing.

Sunday Serivce call coming in about an hour yippee and he has an igniter switch with him.

Just been shopping at the Vintagetrailersupply - getting ready to place the big order!!! bill already 800+. Working on the guy down the road to sell us his greenhouse hoops (heavy duty ones - about 40' long) don't need it all but they will do just fine to get the OL2661 undercover for her winter resotration. Don't mind working in the cold - but it is the snow that can get ya down - although we have none - I have a feeling we are going to have a heck of a 6 week winter!!

Just waiting on the "official" change over - cash for product - and the former MoonBeam will be on her way to a new identity. That saying when you least expect it......and after all that emotion we went through before Christmas and all the support from you guys.

No worries though we are keeping the "MoonBeam" identity just stepping back a decade to 1961 where DR MOONBEAM the prequel will take over the Kallaste adventures. Will post all the changeover details once the deal is officially taken place.

Looking forward to the summer JFMAM+3 weeks I sure hope that is enough time to get the Overlander ready - or at least somewhat ready.

...Now come on you gals don't be making my head swell - the logo was a lot of fun - and if I have a bit of time next week will look a bit more into the marketing apparel sites and maybe get something ordered.

So I take it we are sticking with the date and leaving the date on the sun logo??? Did anyone want the location of the Rally included on the logo??

As for the main "Rivettes" logo - do we want the word Rivettes in the logo somewhere? - I guess we can not have Airstream cause you know who will get their nickers in a twist - even though we drive around big fat billboards for them daily I could pop "You Tow Girl" on the bottom black banner or Rivettes - maybe I will do up a few and post them here next week sometime.

Betcha VAS is saying about now - check out already, place your order!!! But we have to be patient - can not spend money we do not have yet. In the meantime have to go out in the cold and do a few little things for the New Owner - just cause that's the kind of people we are.....Give the hitch a new coat of tremclad, touch up a few nail fill holes - put together a repair kit with extra little items specific to the GT and say my good byes.

But sometimes you just have to move on forward...

I see there is another one on the classifieds - but 6500 is a tad too high for what she does NOT have functioning in her. - no guarentees on the floor either. Would be starting much further behind than we did with MoonBeam. But it is surely tempting......

If anyone else out there really liked ours she is the same layout...but be prepared to drop about 5-6K by the time you are finished if you do it right needs all new appliances, Running gear and new floor covering in addition to the complete resotration of the cupboards and new upholstery and curtains cha ching....when we think of it from that point of view - we just say - move onto the Overlander now and be happy with the prospect of traveling again soon.

Anyone want to have a restoration party??