Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2006, 11:59 AM   #21
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
My favorite activities: kayaking, fly fishing.
Sounds great to me!! I love kayaking too. Have to clarify, I'm a beginning fly fisher everybody might want to keep a good distance
Old 08-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
CatSandi, TinSista -- You're both ahead of me on the fly-fishing, but it's at the top of the list for things I want to learn. Any teachers out there?

I liked canoeing when I was younger but haven't done it in a while; haven't tried kayaking yet. Maybe it's time to get started...

I like hiking, and if anyone's interested in drawing or painting (landscape or nature), I'm down for that.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:31 PM   #23
_

. , .
ok ladies...

since i'm reading this thread,
i gotta post.
otherwise i'd be a peepin' tom of some sort.

first i gotta note, i see no reason why the other thread was closed...

nothing harmful posted that i read...

i'm completely in favor of a women's rally...

a great idea, carol... really....

can i come too? what about the dogs...xx or xy or oo

all the names are great but don't fall for anything too high class...

in cycllng we have 'biker chicks' so why not 'trailer chicks'...

or 'people who aren't afraid to ask directions' or...

'don't pause for menopause' or

'like a fish needs a bicycle'...or

well i'll stop now.

anyway set the date and get it planned...i'm in.

wait a second...no guys? ok i get it now...

but i'll send phone/email and other contact info...

youse girls might need a big strong fella...

just in case the trash needs taken out or a light bulb changed....

or someone to leave dirty socks and beer cans laying around...

cheers
2air'

now back to reading....

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 12:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Any guy brave enough to show up (not because of the womyn, silly, because of TinSista's errant flies whizzing around the campsite!) probably would be quite welcome. They'd get fed at least! Maybe a fish.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:49 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Theresa,,, too funny,,, my brain is coming up with all sorts of images to retort,, but i do not dare,,,, hope we can all make this rally come off. September is lovely in Montana,,, best month,, warm days, cool nights,,, lots of places to fish and kayak,,,,lots of scenic views to paint,,, lots of dutch oven cooking to be done,,, wahooooo!!!!!!! keep me posted,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Airstreaming Women

So round, so firm, so fully packed?

I once saw a pickup truck with motorcycles on the bed and the tailgate was painted "Yamahauler" It's stuck in my mind for years... Love to get something that noteworthy for Lady Airstreamers.

Silly Rabbit, Trucks are for Girls!

Air in our Hair
Air FEmail
Aluminettes

Woman has an Airstream
her Airstream had a truck
Woman likes to tow around
her Airstream likes to... (no I won't go there.)

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Rally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I want to be SASSI!!!!! I adore that. Steering Institution, LOL Kewl!!!!

I wonder how the fall colors will be running. I would love to camp in a rustic type campsite near some body of water, it doesn't have to be on the water, and if it had bluffs all the better. But I will half cross the country to meet you sassi ladies anywhere.

Actually we would be back middle October from the Colorado area (I think) and could possibly even catch you on the way home. Bradley has rented a car to return home when I stay longer. He's definitely a keeper!
There's an Airstream Only park in western Virginia.... just off I-81 I believe. I haven't been there yet, but I've heard it's good. The one in Penn Woods is nice and quiet, about an hour north of Pittsburg and an hour and a half away from the world's biggest shoe store on the border of Ohio and Pennsylvania!

I think both close on Oct 15. I know the fall colors should be great for the one in VA. It is up in the mountains.

Paula Ford
Old 08-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
You're readin' my mind, Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
There's an Airstream Only park in western Virginia.... just off I-81 I believe. I haven't been there yet, but I've heard it's good. The one in Penn Woods is nice and quiet, about an hour north of Pittsburg and an hour and a half away from the world's biggest shoe store on the border of Ohio and Pennsylvania!

I think both close on Oct 15. I know the fall colors should be great for the one in VA. It is up in the mountains.

Paula Ford
I was just visiting the website for the Virginia Highlands Airstream Park today wonderin' if that might be a good eastern rally location. Looks like a beautiful spot. Didn't see any lakes around for Carol though.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 09-02-2006, 09:30 AM   #29
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Carol,
So where and when? If it is later this year down south would be great. I suspect we may have to regional ones if there is enough interest. One East, One mid, one West.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
It would be great to have enough to go regional. Jamie suggested we e-mail particulars to get locale and dates ironed out, seems like an excellent idea. It would be nice to discuss how far we each would care to travel and stay out. Even if our gatherings are small at first, a few here, a few there, I think it may just catch on and snowball, which I think would be very cool. I think its time has come. I am not too hung up on the numbers, if I have the opportunity to meet one new friend I'd consider that ample success. So I hope no one is refraining from posting because they think they are in a remote location or have an unusual time constraint because once you do post don't be surprised if another post follows right on it's heels with a partner. It's nice to plan a big event and have a large showing, but the real value is that we have the resources and opportunity to find and acquaint ourselves with one another, whether a couple at a time or a dozen. The more we get together the more there will be joining us and the wider our circle will become.

Wide enough for 2Air?... You offer to leave dirty socks laying around? Reminds me of another line from Roam Sweet Roam;

One woman who travels alone and does not want it to be public knowlege said when she takes out the garbage, she looks over her shoulder back into the Airstream and yells; "You know, you can do this once in awhile!" and then slams the door.

I don't have to have a lake, I just thought it would make the canoeing, kayaking and flycasting easier. So far I have done none of the above so it can wait a little longer.

Paula I like "Air in our Hair" too

Nice ideas from Cody Bear and Coastal Me, la la la, but codybear... I'm no angel. Maybe we can put these all in our e-mails and see what ends up being the most popular. And so as not to discourage any, I just want you to know that I can be bought, so feel free to lobby my vote.

Virginia Highlands and Penn Woods sounds super. I wonder if I can meet up with Donna and Michelle in their neck of the woods while we are West too...hmmm.

Let's start compiling our contact list to exchange some information and hopefully get a rally or two together before year's end.

Lets check out all our locations and maybe get a map pinpointed with our whereabouts.

C'mon, who else is lurking out there? Talk is cheap, free actually, so post already.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:36 PM   #31
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Yippee Virginia? O Shenandoah I long to hear you!!

How exciting to read the interest. Shenandoah means daughter of the stars...coincidence that we're talking Virginia??

I love Virginia! Such a beautiful state!! Great planning thoughts Carol and everyone.

No matter what name we go by or which place we rally in its bound to be fun!

2air you are too funny!! I think you are gonna be on your own with the dirty socks and/or beer cans!
Old 09-02-2006, 11:31 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Objection

Hi, I object to this Idea. [ Women only ] First, My wife can't handle driving our set up. [ I'm not willing to try and I'm not too sure she wants try driving it either] I thought we were all Airstreamers; not little segregated groups, women, men, people with kids, people with dogs, people with birds, people with money or 34'ers only or Bambis only. "Can't we all get along?" So If my wife would like to camp with you, she wouldn't be able to because I do the driveing. And if you want to have your female only group; then do so without falling back on your fictious men not taking the garbage out this time. "You know, you can do this once in a while."
I guess we would have fit in with the old people with dogs group, but my last dog just went to heaven so we would have to change groups.
Just my thoughts, and I'm not bitter.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:24 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Carol -- I crack up every time I picture that woman yelling back at her empty trailer. Anybody know where to get that DVD (Roam Sweet Home)? I was trying to track it down thru our local library, but no luck.

I like all the locations talked about here, but for different times of year. Would love to go west in the summer, south in winter/early spring, or locally anytime a few of us can work it out. Don't need to think of it as a one chance or you missed out kind of thing.

Is there any way on this forum to set up an email list? Should we use the group list? I think with PM you can only send to 5 recipients at a time.

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
Old 09-03-2006, 06:30 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Bob I think I have a solution. If your wife really wants to try camping solo and could stand my humor we may be able to find you and any other "designated drivers" a cabin nearby or camp where you park the Airstream some time.

I don't think anyone has mentioned excluding anyone thus far, (which I was rather proud of.)

I have known a woman who carries a gun case (empty) and puts it visably in the back window or carries it to the trailer, as a deterrant, (like the sticker that says this car is protected. ) Also in that video a woman sets a man's hat on the seat or shoes outside. I actually have signed up as 2 campers in an empty secluded state park campground. I guess my best defense would be blinding any intruder with their own tears of laughter as they watched me jump up 2 feet and shriek when startled. One likes to think no one would mean another any harm but if you happen to be camping in a remote place it doesn't hurt to let it appear you are not alone.

Bob you just missed our Metro Detroit rally and Steph and I were there.

I don't think of this exclusionary any more than your other friends would feel put out when you asked your other other friends to dinner a particular time. We aren't withdrawing ourselves from the other Airstreamers and functions. Hey how come no one ever wanted to crash my pajamas parties?! Mother could have taught me the correct response.

photography
Old 09-03-2006, 06:47 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I don't think Roam Sweet Roam is out on DVD. http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...Code=VTS%2D250

This video is told from the standpoint of the dog. It's really worth a watch. I wish I could get it digitalized for disk.

The closest thing to an Airstream cult classic video!

With her dog Sam (the narrator of the film) and her 1964 Airstream Caravel, Ellen joins an adventurous community of roamers and loners on wheels who live on the road full time-- by economic neccessity, pleasure or both.

In Roam Sweet Home, filmmaker Ellen Spiro and her trusty dog Sam hit the road and introduce us to an unforgettable band of self-proclaimed "Geritol gypsies" -- senior citizens who have chosen to retire on the road. Independent and often considered eccentric by their more conventional family and friends, these aging adventurers live a happily mobile existence in which every day brings new wonders. Although they haul their homes behind them, they carry little of society's baggage.

Roam Sweet Home is narrated by Spiro's dog Sam, whose ponderings were penned by "Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All" author Allan Gurganus.

57 minutes

Roam Sweet Home was awarded Grand Prize at the Big Muddy Film Festival and received the National Media Owl award presented by Gene Siskel for the Retirement Research Foundation. Roam was broadcast nationally on PBS.

"For those of us with a severe case of wanderlust but the responsibilities of a 9-to-5 job, Roam Sweet Home provides an astute glimpse into non-sedentary lifestyles, complete with eloquent narration by Spiro’s dog Sam. Spiro and Sam find an unforgettable band of self-described "geritol gypsies"— senior citizens who retire on the road. The film expresses a deep love of canine companionship and shows how having a dog on the road provides freedom and peace of mind." Dog World Magazine 8/97

I am not very familiar with the forum features except that you need to wait 120 seconds in between pms. We can pm each other and get the e-mail addresses couldn't we?

photography
Old 09-03-2006, 07:35 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Carol and all,,, movie sounds wonderful to watch,, as am considering snow birding,,, additionally,,,regarding women not able to tow,,,, Lou W. ,, who has been harassing me about taking out the Safari,, that i can do it,,, will not go without her driver,, so,,, do not get it,,, Lou,,, practice backing in the driveway,,, not accepting no for an answer,,, if i can drive to Salem,,, you can do the driveway at least! donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:00 AM   #37
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Why object? Find a way to make it happen if she really wants to go. I just want to have a good time and not worry about being judged.

Guys go out on camping trips by themselves all the time and no one says anything. What is wrong with women doing it too?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:47 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Women ORIENTED?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Why object? Find a way to make it happen if she really wants to go. I just want to have a good time and not worry about being judged.

Guys go out on camping trips by themselves all the time and no one says anything. What is wrong with women doing it too?
I say let any men who want to come do so. Let's even give them extra points if they wear kilts!

Paula
Old 09-03-2006, 01:37 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, I object to this Idea. [ Women only ] First, My wife can't handle driving our set up. [ I'm not willing to try and I'm not too sure she wants try driving it either] I thought we were all Airstreamers; not little segregated groups, women, men, people with kids, people with dogs, people with birds, people with money or 34'ers only or Bambis only.
That's flat-out silly. We're 16,000-people strong here on the forum, so it's unrealistic to think that breakout groups won't happen. Do you object to the Vintage-only rallies? Or the singles groups? I'm a woman before I'm an Airstreamer, and I reserve the right to seek out the company of other women. What's not to like about a caravan of women? Although a "Bambi-only" trip appeals to me too ....

Plus, no one, male or female, should set their limitations so low that driving a truck+trailer is beyond them. That just makes me sad.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Maybe there is a little "tongue in cheek" in that post!. As for not handling the set up, I haven't either, so this women's rally deal will force me to stretch in some new ways if I am involved I think that's a "good thing." Oh, I've driven several hours on travels, but I've not done the hitch up, gas up, park, unhitch, set up, etc, etc. Can I? Well, I don't accept defeat easily! Honestly, if I do head out without hubby, I think I'd want my daughter along. At least one other set of brains and hands ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote