Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Lets not start scarin us gals out of doing something really cool now!

Just think of that fancy logo (PS I just LOVE IT!!!) I have always wanted to be a blond (oops she is a brunette! don't have the body for that either!) but just never had the body for it - WE CAN TOW IT!

Maybe with all the time we have on our hands over winter - we could put together a "Rosie Hookin Manual" gettin it up and takin it down so to speak With pictures to make it real simple.

I know that there are several different types out there - so we might need to chip in with some extra photos or steps to include all the types.

eg. I have a Reece easy lift (the two weight distribution bars along with the anti say bar).

I would love to go to Watersedge - sounds great! and looks Fab too.

Carol the Homecoming would be great event to hook up in. We could show up in the Rosie Jump suits and get down and dirty in the factory - now that would be fun! After a few drinks of course.

Well I better get planning - I have the Globe Trotter to sell and the Overlander to get ready and it looks like Mothers Day is the deadline for the completion!

Any of you gals want your own little Airstream Play toy! She is not a Bambi or a Caravel - but a perfect solo unit. Just needs a polish and a new thermal coupler for the furnace, everything else is in great working order or has been newly replaced.

It is sad but she has to go. There is no sense her sitting on the dirveway doing nothing! When I know someone or a family out there would have a real hoot camping in MoonBeam!! Besides as long as she sits on the driveway NOTHING will get done on the S.S. Lighthouse.

The prospects of towing a bigger trailer 26' from a 21' - does not sound too bad when some of you gals are towing a 34 footer - yikes. I have already towed her from Indiana to Peterborough and through North York, Toronto area. As well did some practice with backing up and maneuvering around the twisted driveway we have. We got all new running gear on her - but now have to re-do the inside with lots of almost new parts from the 99 Excella. Easy winter project hmmmmm better check with the better half on that one.

PS - this is a more recent pic of our place. Hard to tell but we could fit about 9 trailers on our driveway and the several parking spots we have made. And just across the road is the water access lot. We will be building M&D's house there this spring - so I will need a break by May I think.

Anyone is always welcome!!! Can offer you water and 15amp and a cool breeze with a glass or two or three or four of wine.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kallaste Property.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	27398   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterFront Lot.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	27400  

05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:01 PM   #182
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Your home looks lovely. Be careful posting such nice photos or you may wake up one morning with a whole fleet of Airstreams outside!

Do you have a picture of Moonbeam?
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:20 PM   #183
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper
Your home looks lovely. Be careful posting such nice photos or you may wake up one morning with a whole fleet of Airstreams outside!

Do you have a picture of Moonbeam?
Just a few....

I hope to have the ad up in classifieds soon.

Thanks for the cudos on the house - it is nothing special a rather rustic timber frame built from hemlock on the property. We spent this spring staining the cedar - which made a 100% difference in the way she presents. We added the skylights and an small extension this past year as well. We are big DIY'ers or some will say suckers for punishment!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2618.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	27403   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2810.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	27404  

Name:	DCP_9755.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	27405   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_9764.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	27406  

Name:	DCP_9783.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	27407  
Old 10-23-2006, 06:26 PM   #184
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
oops had a brain fart - all you have to do is click on my member name and go to photo gallery - you can see all sorts of photos of the GT and the Overlander from the past couple of years.

I hate looking at the photos - cause it makes it real hard to part with her!!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 06:48 PM   #185
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Dallas , Texas
dates for our rally

Hey ladies,

Isn't Moonbeam lovely?? Hope she finds a loving home real soon! BamCamper, you are so right about those practice runs. I've taken my Bambi out 5 times since I got her... to my driveway, a friend's ranch with a hookup, and to an RV park nearby my ranch. At the RV Park, the owner was a real gem and helped me hookup for the first time to the sewer, etc. Fortunately, it was a pull through space, no backing required in front of other campers! I got lots of practice with that in my driveway, and in a nearby store parking lot after hours. It really is easy after you've practiced. Use those side mirrors, and take someone along to observe!

Make a checklist of all procedures. Double check everything.

Anyhoo...... what is everyone thinking about the date for our rally?

Nancy
Old 10-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #186
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Update

Hi All,

From the posts so far it looks like we have a destination for the 2007 Rivettes' Rally of Waters Edge on Table Rock, Kimberling, MO. How about the dates of May 17th - 20th? If you plan to attend please let me know by next Tuesday (Oct 30). I will then call Waters Edge to confirm how many sites we will need. Beginning next Wednesday, November 1st each of us can call Waters Edge (417) 739-5377 and talk to Wanda to reserve the site of your choice. Be sure to tell her that you are with the Airstream group. There is a campground map on their website www.watersedgetr.com.

Since I too am an amateur with rallies, I will turn over any further arrangements (if any) to others that have more experience.

I plan to leave enroute on Monday, May 14th with an arrival of Tuesday, May 15th if anyone is interested in arriving earlier. I will be traveling with my handicapped daughter so 3 hours stretchs are max for us.

Vickie
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:46 PM   #187
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I'm probably the closest one to this site, but I am not sure about the May date. I'll have to check with my daughter to see if she is out of school and if end of season state tournament meets might pose a problem (she is sports trainer for a KC area high school). She'll be free for the summer soon after that, but I don't about mid/late May. Sounds like so much fun! I'll be crossing fingers and toes til I find out and get back to this thread. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:15 PM   #188
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Branson, MO

Oh my! I've missed a number of replys but have now caught up. I'm not sure about Branson. That might be a long trip for me alone. My daughter has been taking her vacation in July. May is somewhat busy for her with getting the hall "closed" from the school year move-out and preparing for the summer sports camps etc. coming in. I'll have to see the final on the dates.

The totes sound great! And I've come up with another idea for something distinguishing (not to be confused with distinguished) us, THE RIVETTES, as ....um....well,......ah, THE RIVETTES.

You know those punky wristbands and collars with the spikes on them? They kinda look like RIVETS!!! After all, we need SOMETHING to wear if not the tiara thing!! Of course the other plus, tiaras would show us to be the well bred ladies of culture we are. Although a tiara might look strange with my hair stlye. OK, to be determined.

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:25 PM   #189

Hi - been watching this thread with some interest... I've been registered on the forum for a longtime and never really posted before. But this rally sounds like fun and someone mentioned my name!

Back to lurking now...
Rivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:27 AM   #190
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hey a namesake, well don't go back to lurking now that we have only just found you!

Another way to view Branson Missouri is a stop on the progressive rally tour so please pop up any ideas, places and time frames. There just may be a woman's rally coming your way!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:39 AM   #191
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
The most I could manage in May is a long weekend, so Missouri is probably out for me, at least for May. I think I might be able to make it to Virginia in May if anyone is interested in that. Could that be a follow-up to Branson?

Just thinking out loud...

-Jamie
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:21 AM   #192
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Hi Suz,
I know what you mean with the distance to the Branson area. I have never towed further than two hours from home by myself. I have been very apprehensive about this, too. Carol has been very supportive and helped me to see that I can do this. You need to remember that any or all of us from Michigan (and any others along the way) can hook-up along the way and caravan together. We don't have to do this alone unless we just want to. This is a good argument for making plans this far in advance, it gives all the opportunity to plan how to do this in a way to make us as comfortable as possible.

This is how I plan to do this...I plan to leave at 8 or 9 AM. It is hard for me to plan how long it will take me to get my daughter and I dressed, then something to eat. We then will drive 3 hours, stop for diesel, and something to eat. That may be a restaurant or at a rest area, it just depends on how we feel and where are. I am going to force myself to take a full hour out from behind the wheel. Getting back on the road I will drive another 3 hours. I am in the process of pin-pointing a location where I should be by this time. I will locate a KOA that is closest to that point and reserve a pull-through site. Arriving at my site, I will drop my stabilizers (I can't stand the bouncy feeling), hook-up to power, get my daughter(requires a wheelchair) and myself into the AS, make us a light dinner and get alot of rest. The next day I will do this all again. Hopefully, at the end of this day I should be at my destination.

I plan to carry my KOA directory and Woodall's in case my schedule does not go as I anticipated. I will cancel previous reservation and remake another.

These are my plans. I realize that plans do change and I will try to handle these the best way I can as then come up. We each need to make our plans according to what will make us the most comfortable.

Thanks to all the women on this forum that routinely tow on their own for giving us the courage to try this. After all as Rosie says...WE CAN TOW IT!

So Suz, if your daughter can not make it doesn't mean you can't. Let any of us from Michigan know and you are welcome to travel with us. If you are interested in going early, as I've said, I will leave Monday, May 14th, PM me and we arrange to do this together. The same invitation is extended to anyone else out there.

As my daughter says, "GIRL POWER!"

Vickie
Air #5970
Old 10-24-2006, 07:55 AM   #193
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Any West Coasters considering going to Waters Edge in May? It looks like a great place to camp but it's a little far from here. It would probably take several days to get there from here but it's possible.

Anyone thinking of driving from CA???
Old 10-24-2006, 07:58 AM   #194
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
And yes Moonbeam is soooo cute! I can see how you are having a hard time parting with her. I'm sure she'll find a good home.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:11 AM   #195
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Oh my when you look at the miles traveling it can get a bit scary!!!

Peterborough to Waters Edge - 1100+ miles one way. Waters Edge to Charlottetown PEI 2200+ miles one way - travel up and down driveway - 900ft round trip phew that sounds so much safer

It is a tough one if you don't have all the time to travel (like the envious retirees)

But maybe we can look at doing something special for the 50th WBCCI International (not that I am pushing this in anyway whatsoever) But it could give us something to shoot for as the end of a great trip.

Last year - the unit I belonged to attempted a cross Canada Caravan picking up people along the way from each of the Units - they got quite a following - and if we had the time and money it would have been a great trip. They called it the "Trans Canada Snow Ball Caravan"

Maybe we could look at the "Rolling Rosies/Rivettes Caravan" I think towdaddy has a great idea - in that those who would feel better traveling with someone can hook up with each other.

Jamie I could hook up with you on the way down - or even meet Diane/PEI half way and come over on the southside of Lake Ontario.

Carol if you are bored - you could meet me at my place for a few days ahead and then we could go down - or you could drag a few other MIRIVETTES with you for a side trip - make the Great Lake Loop so to speak....
Old 10-24-2006, 09:21 AM   #196
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
This is the new soon to be Vintage Baby - boy she sure does look Loooonnnngggggg. Compared to MoonBeam! Not sure what level she will be at - either fully functional - or a rolling tin tent - with porta-potti, blue buggy and 5 gallon water jug, portable BBQ and plug in wine cooler with Mattress - Either way I would be set. I like my comforts but they don't have to be perfect - as long as the company is great who cares!!!!

This is when we picked her up in Vermont - and arrived home two months later with all new running gear from Indiana. (two separate trips ) We had borrowed the wheels from the excella for the pick up trip - and there was one damaged tire so we had to use the spare instead. Did not trust the existing rubber when we picked her up so we brought the wheels/tires with us - fun story at the border crossing .

See girls lots of room on the dirveway - looks a lot bigger now eh! All my flowers are gone now settling in for the first blast of snow - geeeeeesss wish I could leave. That would be a good idea - take off in the MoonBeam with her forsale sign and the first best offer takes her home...Hubby has a price in mind - me someone could not pay me enough boo hoo. Guess I will just have to look at the future traveling with S.S. Lighthouse to put back the

PS It sure is funny that the guys want to do all the traveling but when it comes to crossing the border - hmmmm Honey would you like a try at towing? Sure dear I can keep a straight face and not panic that we have brand new axles, wheels and tires and a brand new one for MoonBeam too, along with a Weber BBQ with stand and cover but no cigarettes or boose - so no Mame "nothing to declare" ........Would you like to drive now Honey or am I doing okay????
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DCP_9945.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	27436   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_9947.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	27437  

Name:	DCP_9997.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	27438  
Old 10-24-2006, 10:17 AM   #197
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Another destination?

Hey Rivettes,

Nothing is written in stone yet. Please if someone can come up with something else where we can maximize the attendance, it will not hurt my feelings. I would really love to get together with everyone or at least as many as possible. I have a window in April (23-30) that would work for me. Does anyone have a solution?

Help! I'm a little overwhelmed with it all. Especially with long distance towing.

Vickie
Air #5970
Old 10-24-2006, 11:00 AM   #198
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towdaddy
Hey Rivettes,

Nothing is written in stone yet. Please if someone can come up with something else where we can maximize the attendance, it will not hurt my feelings. I would really love to get together with everyone or at least as many as possible. I have a window in April (23-30) that would work for me. Does anyone have a solution?

Help! I'm a little overwhelmed with it all. Especially with long distance towing.

Vickie
Maximum attendance - would be attained through multiple events - as well as proressive type events. We may not get to see all at once or have the same time free or even want to attempt such large distances on our first solo trips - we could be looking at 2-3 groupings at a time to begin with Rivette Budies so to speak.

What about taking a friend along - or say one of us drives with out the trailer and hook up with someone who does have the trailer - a different kind of buddy system. That is if people don't mind bunking in with "strangers" - but then after spending hours here - how strange are we really

The solution - pick a place pick a date and see who fits - if you get two then your "towing" if you get none then pick another place and pick another date and see who fits....and so on. If your date is not free or no one can make it then see if there is an alternative date at the middle or back side of the season.

But whatever you do - don't get all bent out of shape - cause if nothing else we can set up a real cool cyber RIVETTE Rally.

Anyone heard or used that SKYPE sytem for live telephone calls free?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #199
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Dallas , Texas
Rally

First of all, welcome Rivette! Glad to have you aboard. Vickie, if we do the Water's Edge thing, I would like to meet you and your daughter a few days early and enjoy the rally until I take off for the East Coast. I'm planning on three weeks for my whole trip and I would be glad to plan my route around rendezvous-ing with those of you who want to travel up to PEI, and are a little twitchy about rambling alone.

Second, I am completely flexible on dates and locations for the rally. I am perfectly happy to travel up closer to Michigan, as I am pretty fearless about traveling alone and long distances away from home. (Too many rug buying trips to remote villages across Asia---alone!) (My Mother tells me I need to cultivate a healthy fear level----whatever that means!) But, I am single and I'm used to going it alone without a man. Anyhoo.... back on point...

Why don't those of us who are willing and able, go to those who are not able to tow long distances? Let's keep the discussion going. We have time.

BTW, I should have a rendering of the tote ready by next week. I'm getting pricing together for the printing of our beloved Rosie onto canvas so it can be sewn by my lovely and talented Sister-in-law into our cool totes and personalized with our name or monogram! I need a headcount of how many are interested preliminarily. Can I get a show of hands? I realize the price is certainly a consideration--just the 4 color printing of Rosie costs $16/Sq. ft.... S-i-l thinks the total will run less than $45, but wants to make the prototype first and assess from there. So please don't hold me to that #, ladies. Gotta go for now!

Nancy
Old 10-24-2006, 01:27 PM   #200
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Nancy,

Danielle and I would love to meet you to, Nancy. As far as I'm concerned as long as there is three us willing to make the trek to Waters Edge, I'm in. I really believe that it will be more than that, however. As it stands right now there are three confirmed, you, Carol (wheel interested), and myself. So I guess it is a go. I really want to be able to do this. Who knows if everything goes well this time I may be willing to go all the way to California next year.

The totes sound great. Danielle and I definitely each want one. So I'm a yes for 2. Thanks for all the work you and your sister-in-law have contributed to this project.

BTW, I was born in El Paso. I grew up in a small town east of Shreveport, Louisiana. My husband and I's family still live there. I also have relatives all over Texas. Everyone keeps telling me that you can take a girl out of the south but you can't take the south out of girl. We have lived in Michgian for 16 years now. We love it here. The winters do get a little long but the rest of the year makes up for it.

I will post when I make my reservations at Waters Edge.

Looking forward to seeing you there,

Vickie
Air #5970