Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #161
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
slow and steady

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Meredith is the road far from you? Perhaps you could take a drive to feel it out before you tow. Just go at your own pace and do not worry about holding anyone up behind you until you get to a place you are comfortable to turn out in. Don't let anyone pressure you to move any differently than you are comfortable doing. They'll get over it and you surely would not be the first rv to ever be ahead of them.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. You will do famously and I bet you a quarter you'll enjoy the drive.
Hi Carol and Janet -

Thanks for the encouragement and support. Someday I know I will master the art of towing, but until then, I'll take my time...

I have driven this mountain pass a zillion times in my vehicle, but just never pulling a trailer. In fact, I've only towed ONCE on our way home from purchasing our Safari last year. And, it was on a looooong stretch of lonely, flat highway in the middle of nowhere USA!

Your advice is the best, however, and I will try and not let the other drivers get me rattled. I guess I was worried about inconveniencing other drivers when I'm driving reeeeally slow and cautiously around those curves. But hey, how many times have I been behind a slow moving vehicle and just had to sit back and relax until there was a safe opportunity to pass?! I'll bet you a dollar it's been plenty! So I'll make a vow right now that I will focus on being safe - and not the line of cars behind me!
Old 03-19-2007, 10:26 PM   #162
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
backing takes time. It is just coming easier to me. I backed the "rig" into a slot at a truck stop this morning. Got it strait and between the lines the first time. I got a couple admiring looks from the truckers.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #163

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Steph,
thanks. so far i have been keeping it out of the ditches. Good thing they are really deep here. It is actually too hot. 95 today. Fortunatley I am parked where I have eletricity and can run the A/C.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #164
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Thinking on dropping by

Good morning ladies, I have been reading your emails about the Women’s Rally and am so envious. We live in Venice, CA and store our trailer in Thousand Oaks so we aren’t that far away…..but we have only taken the trailer out 2 times and I am in no way ready yet to solo without my husband—he will be out of town so he can’t even take me there and drop me off……so I am tempted to find a place to stay near the campground…..and drop in on you gals…….are any of you familiar with the campground area to tell me if that is doable????……thanks, pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #165
kristiana

1967 24' Tradewind
1960 Caravel
1962 16' Bambi
Gold Country & Palm Springs , California
Happy & Safe Travels, Silver Sistas! I'll be seeing you soon...(Thursday).
You can do it Michelle & Janet! (Remember to b-r-e-a-t-h-e).
Also, do yourself a favor clean the inside of your windshield (as well as outside) to cut down on glare.

pj- Come on over & hang with your sistas! I don't know of any places to
stay (other than in my Caravel, but that may be a lil' squishy).
Maybe someone else has a suggestion?...

To all of the Trailer Chicas nationwide, we'll say a toast in your honor!

Cheers,
Kristiana
kristiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:43 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Michelle

You will hit less traffic if you take the 15 to the 210 and stay up along the foothills. It merges into the 5, go thru Santa Clarita and take the 126 to the 101. There are a lot of small fruit stands on the 126 near Santa Paula if you need to stock up. You could take the 101 thru town and pass by Hollywood but that is usually a parking lot! 126 is much more scenic. Have fun. We will be in Baja but will salute you Friday night when we arrive. Knowing Ron he will spend some time up next to the restuarant on WiFi......getting his forums fix. Debbie
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #167
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
join us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoll
Good morning ladies, I have been reading your emails about the Women’s Rally and am so envious. We live in Venice, CA and store our trailer in Thousand Oaks so we aren’t that far away…..but we have only taken the trailer out 2 times and I am in no way ready yet to solo without my husband—he will be out of town so he can’t even take me there and drop me off……so I am tempted to find a place to stay near the campground…..and drop in on you gals…….are any of you familiar with the campground area to tell me if that is doable????……thanks, pj
Hi PJ,
it would be great if you could come and hang out with us at Cachuma. The more the merrier! There are accomodations fairly close by. I think the closest hotels would be in Buellton and Solvang, but you would actually have to drive past the campground to get to those areas. Santa Barbara is about 20 minutes away and there is a nice Best Western near the 101 and 154 exchange. Here's the link:

Hotel in Santa Barbara, California | Best Western Pepper Tree Inn | Santa Barbara, CA

I hope you can join us!
Old 03-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #168
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrmr
Hi PJ,
it would be great if you could come and hang out with us at Cachuma. The more the merrier! There are accomodations fairly close by. I think the closest hotels would be in Buellton and Solvang, but you would actually have to drive past the campground to get to those areas. Santa Barbara is about 20 minutes away and there is a nice Best Western near the 101 and 154 exchange. Here's the link:

Hotel in Santa Barbara, California | Best Western Pepper Tree Inn | Santa Barbara, CA

I hope you can join us!
Thanks for the information....I will check it out and let you know if I can make it.......paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 03-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #169
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Hey Paula. If you feel like camping you could stay right at the campground with us with a tent or a vehicle you could sleep in. We'll have plenty of food to share and they have restrooms and showers at the campground as well. Or maybe you could squeeze in one of our larger trailers. We'll work it out.

C'mon up! It's an easy drive and as I always say, "the more the merrier!!!"
Laurel
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #170
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
I just emailed Paula to let her know she's welcome to stay in my trailer Sat. night. I'm hoping that my sister (lives in SB) will come to visit and spend the night on Fri. We'll be joined by my nieces for Sat. lunch, then they'll all head home. I know they're dying to see all the A/S models, especially the Bambis, and I suspect that at least one of them is very susceptible to catching aluminitus!
Happy trails tomorrow Debra and Laurel!
Janet
Old 03-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #171
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper
Hey Paula. If you feel like camping you could stay right at the campground with us with a tent or a vehicle you could sleep in. We'll have plenty of food to share and they have restrooms and showers at the campground as well. Or maybe you could squeeze in one of our larger trailers. We'll work it out.

C'mon up! It's an easy drive and as I always say, "the more the merrier!!!"
Laurel
I do have a Subaru Legacy wagon that I can sleep in.....it might be more comfortable than a tent....and I have slept in it before......I just won't have a kitchen to fix food to share......although I can pick up wine, salad stuff and bring it...perhaps in a cooler.....

You all sound like such a fun group that I am really going to try to make it. Do you know what area you will be in when I get there? thanks, paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 03-20-2007, 06:02 PM   #172
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Thanks for the kind offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
I just emailed Paula to let her know she's welcome to stay in my trailer Sat. night. I'm hoping that my sister (lives in SB) will come to visit and spend the night on Fri. We'll be joined by my nieces for Sat. lunch, then they'll all head home. I know they're dying to see all the A/S models, especially the Bambis, and I suspect that at least one of them is very susceptible to catching aluminitus!
Happy trails tomorrow Debra and Laurel!
Janet
Hi Janet, thanks for the kind offer.....I just may take you up on it.....I will bring my Subaru and perhaps throw in a tent as well.....and see what happens......as an old backpacker having campgrounds with showers and flush toilets are a luxury in themselves......I am thinking I might leave LA around noon on Friday.......thanks again, paula

PS: Sure wish I could bring my Suite Spot.....but hopefully next time....I am pretty sure I could drive her okay, but the hitching and backing have me a little intimidated......am hoping to learn a thing or two from you all....p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
Old 03-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #173
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiana
Happy & Safe Travels, Silver Sistas! I'll be seeing you soon...(Thursday).
You can do it Michelle & Janet! (Remember to b-r-e-a-t-h-e).
Also, do yourself a favor clean the inside of your windshield (as well as outside) to cut down on glare.

pj- Come on over & hang with your sistas! I don't know of any places to
stay (other than in my Caravel, but that may be a lil' squishy).
Maybe someone else has a suggestion?...

To all of the Trailer Chicas nationwide, we'll say a toast in your honor!

Cheers,
Kristiana
Hi Kristiana -

safe travels to you. My old, half-polished, silver girl will will be so happy to see a vintage sister!

Oh, and I'm hoping to do a little shopping, so don't forget to bring some bling!

I'm planning to bring my art supplies and see if I can manage a few airstream "portraits" for my rally sisters. I'm a little rusty, but I just can't pass up this kid-less opportunity to dust off my good brushes and see what happens.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #174
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Hi Paula (and everyone else). I'm going to try to get into the Barona area of the campground (as several people have suggested) but won't know exactly where until we get there since they don't take advance reservations. I'll try to pick a spot with open sites around it so we can (hopefully) all get sites together. I'm sure we can squeeze in an extra car.

If you want my cell # to call as you get close to the campground pm me.
I should be there tomorrow afternoon.

I'll be the one in the beautiful silver trailer !

Drive carefully all! It was a little rainy today but it is supposed to be a really nice weekend.

Happy trails and see you all soon...
Laurel (& Ed)

P.S.
Does anyone know if the campground has Wi Fi?
And don't forget...if anyone is feeling nervous...they also have pull throughs
Old 03-20-2007, 10:07 PM   #175
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
Los Osos , California
Oh...a note about food. We always have way too much so don't worry about bringing a lot of stuff. There is also a small grocery store there that is pretty well stocked and a small cafe/snack shop right in the campground. And lots of restaurants within driving distance. We definitely won't go hungry!
Old 03-20-2007, 10:52 PM   #176

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Ladies,
I am in California! Barstrow to be exact. I expect to be at the Lake Cachuma camp ground tomorrow afternoon. It will be good to stop moving for a few days.
See you all soon!

Old 03-20-2007, 11:20 PM   #177
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Yay! You're getting close! See you soon, Michelle!
Old 03-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #178

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I am no longer close. I am here!
I am in spot 69 at the bottom of the hill.
67,63,61 are currently open near me. 83-121 are filled by what looks like "monthly' people.
Show up early for the best spots!
See you all tomorrow.
First order of business. a nap.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #179
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Congratulations, Michelle, on being the first to arrive at the rally! I'm so envious that you are already there...and even more so because you're taking a nap! Sounds just great.

Sounds like you got a good spot and there are a few more nearby for us. Remember the hairy eyeball if someone tries to park next to you (kidding, hee hee.)

I just got back from Trader Joe's and stocked up on all kinds of goodies for the rally. And, I didn't forget a couple bottles of champagne and fresh OJ for those mimosas I promised.

Now, I just have to wait until I can leave. It's killing me!
Old 03-21-2007, 06:23 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Thanks for the update Michelle. Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound. If they're not already there, Laurel and Debra should be joining you soon.
I'm jealous!
Hasta manana,
Janet