Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: How do you feel about a Metro-Detroit, MI area get-together?
Interested and would like to help set it up 3 23.08%
Interested and would attend 9 69.23%
Interested but it is too far away 0 0%
Not interested and live nearby 0 0%
Not interested and do not live nearby 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

How about a Metro-Detroit get-together

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in having a July, August or September get-together somewhere near Metro-Detroit?
There are quite a few nice places to camp nearby. It would be nice to get something that we can do close to home.
Please use the poll attached to this thread to let me know how many would be interested in attending something like this.
Maybe we can talk to Moraine View folks in giving some suggestions and tips to plan a successful get-together...
It does not have to be anything extravagant. Just a little weekend outing.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Exclamation

Sign me up Lou! Great idea

I like August or September better than July.

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:08 AM   #3
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Metro Detroit area events 2005

For the people that Love things that 'roll on wheels' here's some great events in the Detroit area:

1- Motor Muster in Greenfield Village, June 18 - 19
2 - 27th Annual Meadow Brook Concours d'Elegance, August 7, 2005
3 - Old Car Festival in Greenfield Village, September 10 - 11

And of course there is the Grand event that Airstreams could parade in (don't think it's ever been done before)

Woodward Dream Cruise, AUGUST 20, 2005

A great area of the country to see and appreciate rolling stock of the country.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
Sign me up Lou! Great idea

I like August or September better than July.

Steve
I like the August/September time frame myself.
How about some ideas as to where it could be held?
I know the TCT's have two events at Camp Dearborn.
I was thinking that there are several state parks nearby. The best ones are about an hour outside of Detroit. Lord knows there is nothing right near the suburbs. The list can be found at www.michigan.gov.
How about Sleepy Hollow State Park just north of Lansing?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
For the people that Love things that 'roll on wheels' here's some great events in the Detroit area:

1- Motor Muster in Greenfield Village, June 18 - 19
2 - 27th Annual Meadow Brook Concours d'Elegance, August 7, 2005
3 - Old Car Festival in Greenfield Village, September 10 - 11

And of course there is the Grand event that Airstreams could parade in (don't think it's ever been done before)

Woodward Dream Cruise, AUGUST 20, 2005

A great area of the country to see and appreciate rolling stock of the country.
There is a HUGE KOA right near Greenfield Village! Just going to Greenfield Village is a BLAST! The Old Car Festival falls within the September time frame.
The dream cruise is cool but it was better when it was smaller. Now, you cannot get anywhere near Royal Oak on that weekend.
Just remember, it was Detroit that put the world on wheels!
Old 04-18-2005, 03:33 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
The State Parks have been a pain to get into during the summer lately, not saying it isn't worth trying...

TCT is in May and September.

Have to think of something nearby... hmmmmm
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
The State Parks have been a pain to get into during the summer lately, not saying it isn't worth trying...

TCT is in May and September.

Have to think of something nearby... hmmmmm
Jason,
I can only think of Camp Dearborn or the Greenfield Village KOA.
Then there is always the parks outside the immediate area. Like the Emmett KOA. Port Huron KOA and a couple others I can't think of right now.
We would have Steve from Ohio who would be the southernmost right now!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Interested, if the date works out . . .

Living in the Detroit Metro area, I'd try to make it if it doesn't conflict with anything else on our schedule (maybe a 50-50 proposition). Last year we wanted to attend the Mackinac get together, but it fell in the middle of our big vacation out of town vacation, so we missed it. I was wondering if something "Forum" related would be set up in or near Michigan this year. For us a (long?) weekend type of event would be better than a week long event (like last years Mackinac event). Having never camped locally, I have no ideas to suggest for campgrounds, but it would be nice to tie it in to one of the local events, or even to a trip to Greenfield Village and/or the Henry Ford Museum.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
Living in the Detroit Metro area, I'd try to make it if it doesn't conflict with anything else on our schedule (maybe a 50-50 proposition). Last year we wanted to attend the Mackinac get together, but it fell in the middle of our big vacation out of town vacation, so we missed it. I was wondering if something "Forum" related would be set up in or near Michigan this year. For us a (long?) weekend type of event would be better than a week long event (like last years Mackinac event). Having never camped locally, I have no ideas to suggest for campgrounds, but it would be nice to tie it in to one of the local events, or even to a trip to Greenfield Village and/or the Henry Ford Museum.
I think that would be a good idea.
How about something an hour or two away from home?
Did you vote?
I am going to use the pool results to decide if it worth spending time on organizing it.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Lou, I didn't vote, because I can't with certainty say that we'd attend if you set something up (maybe if there was a "maybe" button I could vote). Such an event would be enticing, but in actuallity our participation would depend upon the date selected. We already have plans for certain weeks and weekends in July, August, and September. Plus we're still working stiffs. And most importantly I gotta check with "the boss", if you know what I mean.

An hour or two from home wouldn't be a problem. In that regard we did set up the trailer at a (County?) Park/Camp Ground on the Lake Huron shore north of Port Huron last year. Lorrie seemed to like it (I towed the Airstream up and back, but couldn't stay). I can't remember the name, but I could look it up if necessary.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 04-19-2005, 06:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Lou, I didn't vote, because I can't with certainty say that we'd attend if you set something up (maybe if there was a "maybe" button I could vote). Such an event would be enticing, but in actuallity our participation would depend upon the date selected. We already have plans for certain weeks and weekends in July, August, and September. Plus we're still working stiffs. And most importantly I gotta check with "the boss", if you know what I mean.

An hour or two from home wouldn't be a problem. In that regard we did set up the trailer at a (County?) Park/Camp Ground on the Lake Huron shore north of Port Huron last year. Lorrie seemed to like it (I towed the Airstream up and back, but couldn't stay). I can't remember the name, but I could look it up if necessary.
I will make a mental note of a "definite maybe" then!
Since things are in their infancy, what would be a good weekend for you in August or September?
I am still a working stiff too. It makes it difficult to get everyhting done around the house and take weekend trips too boot. I have decided that I need to get the trailer out this year and it does not look like we will be able to take our yearly trip to Kentucky Lake down near Paducah, KY. Gas is too high and time is tight.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:52 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Wayne County , Michigan
There is Myer's Lake Campground in Argentine (west of Fenton, off us-23), Monroe KOA (right on US-23). Unfortunately nothing close in to town. I guess I'll have to take a trip and check out that KOA nearby, it's only about 20 minutes away. The whole idea sounds interesting to me, I'm a working stiff too, I'm going to have to monitor what everyone else does, can't commit to anything yet, we are working on trying to move this summer, so that could tie up everything. Please keep me posted though!
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
Old 04-19-2005, 11:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
There is Myer's Lake Campground in Argentine (west of Fenton, off us-23), Monroe KOA (right on US-23). Unfortunately nothing close in to town. I guess I'll have to take a trip and check out that KOA nearby, it's only about 20 minutes away. The whole idea sounds interesting to me, I'm a working stiff too, I'm going to have to monitor what everyone else does, can't commit to anything yet, we are working on trying to move this summer, so that could tie up everything. Please keep me posted though!
I have been by the KOA off of US-23. It is decent looking.
My brother stayed there back in the late 90's while he was in Toledo on business. He liked it.
Never heard of Myer's Lake Campgound before. That sounds like it is worth investigating. I will have to research it.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Since you asked . . .

Lou, Our schedule isn't completely firmed up yet, but since you are asked . . . as of right now, I'd say the best weekends for us might be: July 30-31, Aug 6-7, Aug 13-14, Sept 24-25, or for that matter we could consider Oct 1-2. For some of these, we might be able to add the Friday before, with some planning, too.

However, since Lorrie and I are only "definite maybe's", if you can get any weekend to work for everyone else, go for it with out regard for our schedule.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 04-19-2005, 09:06 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Wayne County , Michigan
OK, talked to the boss, it is a "possibility" for us.

Myers Lake is www.myerslake.com

Couldn't find a listing for a website for the Detroit Greenfiled KOA, went to the KOA website for info, will do a drive-by (thru) if we can get in.

Going thru our Woodall's book, finding several within an hour, but have no idea what they are like, makes me wonder seem to be more seasonal...
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
Old 04-19-2005, 11:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Lou, Our schedule isn't completely firmed up yet, but since you are asking . . . as of right now, I'd say the best weekends for us might be: July 30-31, Aug 6-7, Aug 13-14, Sept 24-25, or for that matter we could consider Oct 1-2. For some of these, we might be able to add the Friday before, with some planning, too.

However, since Lorrie and I are only "definite maybe's", if you can get any weekend to work for everyone else, go for it with out regard for our schedule.
Well, we can set it up for whatever will work for all of us. I am sure that all of use can make one of those dates.
What do the rest of you think? Take a look at those dates, guys. Let me know what will work.
I am still game no matter how many people come. Right now, with you guys, we are looking at about four of us. That would be better than none of us!
I would really like to show off the Minuet this year, that's for sure.
I would like to be able to go to the Moraine View Rally but that is out of the question considering how far away it is.
I am geeked about the whole idea. I am glad to see that there is some interest in something like this.
Steve-would you be able to make Fenton, MI? It is just south of Flint.
I think there is enough interest to put a loose-knit gathering together.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:32 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
While I have not been very active on the site I do visit the site 3 or 4 times a week and would enjoy getting togeather with the group. I would suggest September as many people put there campers away after labor day just like they close there swiming pools. Since our kids have grown up we have done a lot of travel in September and October and never need reservations that time of year. However if the group wants to do it in July or August we can of course set up something with a campground. The idea of the Monroe KOA might attract many from northern Ohio as it is close to the state line.

There are also some nice state parks in the Brighton Pickney area however they do not have water and sewer hookups. As I am retired I would be happy to help set this up and will go and visit any campground of interest to the group and make reservations or arrangements as necessary.

Jim
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 12:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Hiya, sorry away from the Internet for the last two weeks and I missed this thread. We, too, live in the Detroit Metro area, and I think you might want to consider Algonac State Park for close to the D camping. I have not stayed there yet but we have liked the SPs in MI so far.

Yes, the SPs are hard to get a spot, IF you don't plan ahead, but they are well, well worth it. I think that if you want to do this you need to plan for either late August or early September to get the campsites you want. We hit a campground by St Joe's last summer the weekend before Labor day and had the entire place to ourselves, actually kind of creepy.

We stayed at JP Hoffmaster SP near Holland last year and had a great time. The parks are clean and they mostly have nice big shaded sites. We are staying at Port Crescent State Park on Lake Huron in June and I can't wait. That's the great thing about the MI state parks, many of them are on the lakes.

Well, anyway, count us in, depending on the date. And I can scout thumb region parks if you like.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

I am glad to see that this is picking up some steam!
I would think the September timeframe would be good too.
I have two small girls and one will be starting kindergarten this fall but missing one day will not kill her.
John-right now we are open to any park. We have a few ideas but nothing firmed up yet. If you have any that are near you, go look and report back to us. Take pictures if you can.
The September idea is good because the campgrounds are not that full.
I am up for it.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:30 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
We are interested. Just got home from the forums rally at Hiawassee, Georgia and had a great time. Please stay away from September 24-25 as the Metro Detroit WBCCI has a buddy rally scheduled for that weekend. It will be at Groveland Oaks county park near Holly. Of course, you all are invited to that event. Something near Greenfield Village would be great.

Algonac is great if you can get into the riverfront part, but that normally takes reservations well in advance if you want to be close to the river so you can watch the freighters go by. Getting everybody together would be tough as every third site is not reservable. The wagonwheel area is way back off the river and usually heavy with bugs. I won't stay there.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote