View Poll Results: How do you feel about a Metro-Detroit, MI area get-together?
Interested and would like to help set it up 3 23.08%
Interested and would attend 9 69.23%
Interested but it is too far away 0 0%
Not interested and live nearby 0 0%
Not interested and do not live nearby 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2005, 10:06 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
OK, talked to the boss, it is a "possibility" for us.

Myers Lake is www.myerslake.com

Couldn't find a listing for a website for the Detroit Greenfiled KOA, went to the KOA website for info, will do a drive-by (thru) if we can get in.

Going thru our Woodall's book, finding several within an hour, but have no idea what they are like, makes me wonder seem to be more seasonal...

"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander
Lou, Our schedule isn't completely firmed up yet, but since you are asking . . . as of right now, I'd say the best weekends for us might be: July 30-31, Aug 6-7, Aug 13-14, Sept 24-25, or for that matter we could consider Oct 1-2. For some of these, we might be able to add the Friday before, with some planning, too.

However, since Lorrie and I are only "definite maybe's", if you can get any weekend to work for everyone else, go for it with out regard for our schedule.
Well, we can set it up for whatever will work for all of us. I am sure that all of use can make one of those dates.
What do the rest of you think? Take a look at those dates, guys. Let me know what will work.
I am still game no matter how many people come. Right now, with you guys, we are looking at about four of us. That would be better than none of us!
I would really like to show off the Minuet this year, that's for sure.
I would like to be able to go to the Moraine View Rally but that is out of the question considering how far away it is.
I am geeked about the whole idea. I am glad to see that there is some interest in something like this.
Steve-would you be able to make Fenton, MI? It is just south of Flint.
I think there is enough interest to put a loose-knit gathering together.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:32 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
While I have not been very active on the site I do visit the site 3 or 4 times a week and would enjoy getting togeather with the group. I would suggest September as many people put there campers away after labor day just like they close there swiming pools. Since our kids have grown up we have done a lot of travel in September and October and never need reservations that time of year. However if the group wants to do it in July or August we can of course set up something with a campground. The idea of the Monroe KOA might attract many from northern Ohio as it is close to the state line.

There are also some nice state parks in the Brighton Pickney area however they do not have water and sewer hookups. As I am retired I would be happy to help set this up and will go and visit any campground of interest to the group and make reservations or arrangements as necessary.

Jim
Old 04-21-2005, 01:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Hiya, sorry away from the Internet for the last two weeks and I missed this thread. We, too, live in the Detroit Metro area, and I think you might want to consider Algonac State Park for close to the D camping. I have not stayed there yet but we have liked the SPs in MI so far.

Yes, the SPs are hard to get a spot, IF you don't plan ahead, but they are well, well worth it. I think that if you want to do this you need to plan for either late August or early September to get the campsites you want. We hit a campground by St Joe's last summer the weekend before Labor day and had the entire place to ourselves, actually kind of creepy.

We stayed at JP Hoffmaster SP near Holland last year and had a great time. The parks are clean and they mostly have nice big shaded sites. We are staying at Port Crescent State Park on Lake Huron in June and I can't wait. That's the great thing about the MI state parks, many of them are on the lakes.

Well, anyway, count us in, depending on the date. And I can scout thumb region parks if you like.

John
Old 04-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

I am glad to see that this is picking up some steam!
I would think the September timeframe would be good too.
I have two small girls and one will be starting kindergarten this fall but missing one day will not kill her.
John-right now we are open to any park. We have a few ideas but nothing firmed up yet. If you have any that are near you, go look and report back to us. Take pictures if you can.
The September idea is good because the campgrounds are not that full.
I am up for it.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:30 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
We are interested. Just got home from the forums rally at Hiawassee, Georgia and had a great time. Please stay away from September 24-25 as the Metro Detroit WBCCI has a buddy rally scheduled for that weekend. It will be at Groveland Oaks county park near Holly. Of course, you all are invited to that event. Something near Greenfield Village would be great.

Algonac is great if you can get into the riverfront part, but that normally takes reservations well in advance if you want to be close to the river so you can watch the freighters go by. Getting everybody together would be tough as every third site is not reservable. The wagonwheel area is way back off the river and usually heavy with bugs. I won't stay there.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
We are interested. Just got home from the forums rally at Hiawassee, Georgia and had a great time. Please stay away from September 24-25 as the Metro Detroit WBCCI has a buddy rally scheduled for that weekend. It will be at Groveland Oaks county park near Holly. Of course, you all are invited to that event. Something near Greenfield Village would be great.

Algonac is great if you can get into the riverfront part, but that normally takes reservations well in advance if you want to be close to the river so you can watch the freighters go by. Getting everybody together would be tough as every third site is not reservable. The wagonwheel area is way back off the river and usually heavy with bugs. I won't stay there.
Jim,
It was a pleasure talking to you this evening. Thanks for calling.
Jim and I live relatively close to each other so we are going to meet up and discuss what he has learned from previous rallies.
I am glad to see that this is all coming together!
Right now it is looking like a weekend trip in September. We may try to shoot for the weekend before Labor Day.
If everyone could give us the weekends you are available it will help in finding one that will work for all of us.
I know that a good portion of is are working stiffs so it makes it diificult to nail down a date but let's see where we can take this.
As Jim said, the buddy rally for the local WBCCI is the weekend of Sept. 24-25. We are planning on attending. I hope the rest of you will consider it too.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:28 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Just a note, if considering the Monroe KOA, it has waterslides and stuff for the kids, just thinking warmer weather would be more appropriate for that park. Weekend before Labor Day would still probably work for there.
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
Just a note, if considering the Monroe KOA, it has waterslides and stuff for the kids, just thinking warmer weather would be more appropriate for that park. Weekend before Labor Day would still probably work for there.
I have been by that park a number of times at it looks nice from US-23. I even remember the road's name for the exit; Summerville Rd.!
It is a nice park and I am sure that they close the water park after Labor Day.
My two are pretty small so it is not a huge deal about the waterslde. They are happy when they can do any type of outdoor activity.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:23 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
I would suggest you pick a date and a park, and confirm with the park they can put us all in one area close togeather, once this information is posted we can begin to make individual reservations. There is no way you can pick a date when all can attend. If I can be of any help setting this up let me know.
Jim
Old 04-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple 1
I would suggest you pick a date and a park, and confirm with the park they can put us all in one area close togeather, once this information is posted we can begin to make individual reservations. There is no way you can pick a date when all can attend. If I can be of any help setting this up let me know.
Jim
Jim,

I have never done this before so I am new to it. I would appreciate any help you can give.
Jim Mickle and I live relatively close to each other. We had loosely planned on getting together to try to pick some date a nd some place.
Thanks for putting us on the right track. Your help will be greatly appreciated and readily accepted by Jim and myself.
If you would prefer to contact me via phone, my contact information is contained in my profile.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:41 PM   #26
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
Metro Detroit event

Hello all I am the Presedent of the Metro Detroit Chapter of the WBCCI. Jim Mickle gave us a call and told us what was being discussed on the Fourm. This weekend we had our shakedown rally and talked about your get together.

We (The Metro Detroit WBCCI Unit) currently have a buddy rally planed for September at Grovland Oaks in Oakland County. We would like to invite any and all of you to attend our event and make this a Metro Detroit / Buddy / Airstream Foum Rally. We currently have a large goup site reserved , we feel we can accomadate a large or small turn out.

We are not your tipical WBCCI unit , not so much pomp and circumstance as most. We can post the details and handle the aragments if this is acceptable to you all.As this is a Buddy rally membership in the WBCCI is not required and not expcected.

I look foward to the oppertunity to meet fellow Airstreamers form Michigan and throughout the Midwest. Let me know if there is intrest. Our Host will also be posting here soon.

PS I love the AIR stickers, our Log in name ITOWAIR is also our linsense plate, we wanted to gett AIR for the trailer but it was already taken.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Weekend before Labor Day...

may be closed for us at my place. The Allegan antique fair is that weekend and we are looking to camping on the west side of the state and attend it. So, Mid September is sounding better.

John
Old 04-25-2005, 06:32 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Vintage Kin Owner
detroit , Michigan
Lou,

Sounds like it's a good plan coming along nicely. We would be one of the "maybes" if the weekend days work into our schedule. Thanks for your work in planning, from the look of the thread, seams like your getting some great ideas on parks I know I am