McKinney Campground 4 36.36%
GA Mountain Fair Campground 7 63.64%
somewhere else!! 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2006, 09:14 PM   #141
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Decherd , Tennessee
Is the campground off of 76? I'll be taking I-75 south towards Calhoun and cutting over to 5/515 and then north to 76.

Also, down in the Calhoun area which is the better road to take east? I was thinking 53 was the best bet to 5/515 but, you can take 136 to 382 also. Any suggestions? Thanks.

nazz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:24 PM   #142
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Decherd , Tennessee
I'll be pedaling up those hills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
we'll be right over.

jp
C'mon down!

nazz300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz300
OK....... This will be our 1st Rally so be gentle!

Sorry we don't have a vintage trailer. . . . .
Looking forward to seeing lots of aluminum in Oct.
Vintage? . . . I'm glad to see some folks will be coming with new Airstreams. I've never seen one and I'm looking forward to a tour! And you won't be the only first timers. I'm totally new to the whole Airstream thing and this is my first Rally as well. Glad you're joining us, nazz. I'm right down the road in Chattanooga.
Dacia

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 06:28 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
not totally sure about those roads, but the one that goes past the Cherokee Indian nation site (New Echota) was one I have been on, if i am recalling it correctly. I thonk once you are have gone south of Dalton the roads over east are less of a challenge. The campground entrance is right on 76 on Lake Chatuge, its hard to miss with the fairgrounds there.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:11 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Who has the MAP??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
not totally sure about those roads, but the one that goes past the Cherokee Indian nation site (New Echota) was one I have been on, if i am recalling it correctly. I thonk once you are have gone south of Dalton the roads over east are less of a challenge. The campground entrance is right on 76 on Lake Chatuge, its hard to miss with the fairgrounds there.
This is why I'm leaving a day early, if I get lost it will look like I'm getting there on time. Know my way to Helen, GA from there it will just be an adventure. Not looking forward to the traffic around Atlanta, may need to back road it around there. I'll have way too much jet lag to deal with and won't need traffic to spoil the fun.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #146
Riviting Espresso

1978 25' Caravanner
Boca Raton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ColdEspresso Send a message via Yahoo to ColdEspresso
This will be our first rally too... While I have been to quite a few BMW motorcycle rallys, this one ought to be something special with all those shiny (and some like mine that are not so shiny) trailers.
1978 Caravanner
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2009 VW Sportwagen TDi
Rancilio Espresso Machine w/ Rocky Grinder
ColdEspresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #147
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
This is why I'm leaving a day early, if I get lost it will look like I'm getting there on time. Know my way to Helen, GA from there it will just be an adventure. Not looking forward to the traffic around Atlanta, may need to back road it around there. I'll have way too much jet lag to deal with and won't need traffic to spoil the fun.
From Helen you take HWY. 75 north out of Helen and wind your way through the mountain pass to Hiawassee. From there it is an easy find. Only about 20 miles from Helen.

Make sure you keep your radio tuned to AM 750; it is a talk radio station and they give the trafic every 6 minutes. Also, avoid the connector (I-75 & I-85 combined through downtown Atlanta) and the top end and east side of I-285 roughly from 7:30 am to 10:00 am and from 4:00 pm till 7:00 pm if you can. And GA 400 north bound gets pretty harry from 4:00 'till 7:00 also...now you know why I live south of Atlanta! We have one of the longest morning and evening rush hours in the world (no joke, studies prove it) and it is particularly intense on the north side of the city.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:26 PM   #148
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
if you are going to Helen from where you live, it might be a bit out of the way. Get on I 75 to the I 575 exit near Kennesaw. Take 575 north until it ends (changes names) and then stay on the road you're on through Ellijay and Blue Ridge on to Hiawassee. No need to go around thru Helen.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 08-24-2006, 03:28 PM   #149
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Mario- bringing that expresso machine with ya?? Capuccino by the lake sounds real good.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 08-24-2006, 05:56 PM   #150
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Just to echo what some of the other native Atlantans have said here. AVOID the interstates around Atlanta like the plague if possible. And the North side is the worst (I-285 northern arc, I-75, I-85 and Ga 400 north of downtown). I drive around the metro area every day, the drivers here are crazy. Probably the worst I’ve ever seen, and I’ve lived in quit a few places. We moved back home to Atlanta 12 years ago, and I couldn’t believe how rude people had become in general, even worse when behind the wheel. Be careful out there.

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:32 PM   #151
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Michael and Tina

If it's of interest, and you want a break from the long drive, you would be welcome to spend Thursday night at our house. We have a flat driveway, 50 and 30 amp service, and dumping facilities. We are located a bit north and west of Atlanta (east Cobb) so our location is basically on your way. That way you could avoid some of the ATL traffic, or at least break up the ride. From our house to Hiawassee is between 2-3 hours. Your option, but you would be welcomed!
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:12 PM   #152
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob
Michael and Tina

If it's of interest, and you want a break from the long drive, you would be welcome to spend Thursday night at our house. We have a flat driveway, 50 and 30 amp service, and dumping facilities. We are located a bit north and west of Atlanta (east Cobb) so our location is basically on your way. That way you could avoid some of the ATL traffic, or at least break up the ride. From our house to Hiawassee is between 2-3 hours. Your option, but you would be welcomed!
I'll contact you when I get back from Japan. I'll be in a rush to get things together and my trip can be extended some because of engine problems with the ship I will be on. An overnight might be just the ticket, Thank You very much . I have driven that way a bunch of times, I have a sister in North Carolina and sometimes we break up the trip by staying in north GA.

I've made Atlanta in under 8 hours and can probably do the whole thing in one day. Your setup sounds great and I will email you upon my return. We are actually reserved for the day before the rally begins at the campgound to acclimate to the area and site-see some.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:49 AM   #153
Riviting Espresso

1978 25' Caravanner
Boca Raton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ColdEspresso Send a message via Yahoo to ColdEspresso
We sure are... I have already placed an order with my coffee roaster. There is nothing like waking up on a cool morning by the lake and having a an espresso drink made with freshly ground espresso that was roasted in a small batch. All of you folks in those rolling espresso machines should stop by for a cup. FYI I make a mean cappuccino.
1978 Caravanner
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2009 VW Sportwagen TDi
Rancilio Espresso Machine w/ Rocky Grinder
ColdEspresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:51 PM   #154
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
what time? I can bring over my griddle and we can cook up some mean pancakes. . Shall we schedule a breakfast meeting??

AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM