Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2005, 11:05 AM   #101
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
I can't remember a year when I've spent so much time watching the Weather Channel. (Does any one still not believe in global warming?)

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:45 AM   #102
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Cool Let's get on with it ...

The Key Lime Pies are made ... I can't wait any longer, so I'm going the the campground today.

It appears that RITA has cleaned off our beaches, and should provide good 'wave sounds' to sleep with.

See Ya'all there.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:22 PM   #103
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Where in the world is Lamar?

Lamar is sitting in a Flying J on I-75. About thirty miles ago, truckers started honking and flashing their tail lights as they passed. Of course, I tapped the brakes and looked at the fiber optic ennunciator, but the brake lights were working. The tail lights and clearance lights are out. I checked the fuse, and it's not getting power...

It may be the headlight switch. I've had strange problems due to it before. Tomorrow I'm going to check the plugin for power, and then I'll try to find an Auto Zone... Clearly I'm okay in the daylight as I do have brake lights. I'll be back at it in the morning.

You guys have some fun for me.

Lamar
Klaatu barada nikto
Old 09-23-2005, 04:34 AM   #104
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
lights and clearance lights are out. I checked the fuse, and it's not getting power...

It may be the headlight switch. I've had strange problems due to it before. Tomorrow I'm going to check the plugin for power, and then I'll try to find an Auto Zone... Clearly I'm okay in the daylight as I do have brake lights. I'll be back at it in the morning.

You guys have some fun for me.

Lamar
I will bring mt test light, and other electrical testing equipment with me.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:28 AM   #105
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Well, the rally's over. True to his word, Terry helped me get the lights working again. A short had occured in the headlight switch that was so bad it melted the multiconnector and blew the taillight fuse in the trailer.

On Friday night, we had an impressive little thunderstorm in the evening and a little rain overnight. Saturday was beautiful. Some of us went to look at Ft Desoto and tour the Salvador Dali museum.

Then we ate some good vittles, highlighted by TomW's apparently perfected fried chicken, baked beans, good cheesy macroni, pasta salad, three types of bread, ice cream, and some potent key lime pie.Then we watched a movie projected on the side of an Argosy MH. (I've never done THAT before.)

And where in the world is Lamar? I'm 100 miles north up I-75 checking in and checking my email. What a bummer -- the new Verizon aircard wouldn't connect either broadband or slowboat from the campground. Here, it's working as advertised.

It was great fun putting faces to some of the folks from the forum.

Well, I just polished off breakfast, and it's time to hit the road again. Only about 175 miles to go.

Lamar
Klaatu barada nikto
Old 09-25-2005, 03:54 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi All,
We are also home, The rally was great. A good time was had by all, and the food Saturday night was excellent.

It was great meeting new people from the forum, and getting to know each one. Tom W's chicken was excellent, as usual, as were the baked beans, gespacho(?spelling) and every one seemed to like the mudslides!!

Terry is hoping to repeat the success after the hollidays. Anyone know when the strawberry festival is in plant city?

Our Goliath worked beautifully, even the oven worked to re-heat the mac and cheese. The fridge spooked us a little, but kept things cold. The new curtains, etc were done and everyone thought they looked good. Hot water and no leaks in the plumbing thanks to Terrys many trips to Ace.

I hope to meet and greet more forum friends at the next forum rally.

Marie
Old 09-25-2005, 03:56 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
OOPs
I forgot to tell you about the homemade ice cream from safe harbor and the key lime pie from driftwood. Thanks guys, the deserts were excellent!

Marie
Old 09-25-2005, 05:39 PM   #108
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Florida Forum Rally '05 revisited, or The Return of Bumperstkr

We arrived late Friday afternoon, as I was able to leave work earlier than anticipated. Rolled into Ft. DeSoto campground about 4:00PM under cloudy skies, but the rain held off until later in the evening. After getting Goliath unhitched and hooked up to electric and water, we made the rounds of the forum members that had already arrived, and firmed up plans for Saturday's activities. After sharing drinks and stories, and touring everyone's coaches, Marie and I took a hot shower in our own bathtub for the first time (the hot water was great, but the PO had reversed the hot and cold water going into the tub faucets). Marie turned in for the night, but I had a suspicion more events were about to happen, so I stayed up for a while, watching...waiting...listening...
A little after midnight, in a gentle rain, I heard a muted throbbing sound, like boat engines. I went outside, looked into the lagoon behind our trailer, and saw a faint torpedoelike silhouette moving across the water. The sound of the engines stopped, and I heard the anchor splash into the water. A faint smell of burning pinacoladas from the coconut oil powered engines permeated the air, and I knew the person I had been waiting for had arrived. A few minutes later, and a small aluminum (or course) rowboat appeared from the oppostie side of the yacht cobbled together from an old Airstream travel trailer. The boat softly crunched ashore on the tiny beach behind our campsite, and its lone occupant jumped nimbly ashore. Bumperstkr had arrived, with an armload of tee shirts and unofficial "AIR" stickers for all of us good forum girls and boys. He didn't say a whole lot, just mumbled something about official stuff taking too long to become available, and started distributing the goodies between the forum members' coaches.
Everyone got a tee shirt and a sticker, then he jumped back into his aluminum boat and rowed himself back out to his seagoing Airstream. I heard the engines restart, and once again got a whiff of burning coconuts. The anchor rattled back up onto the deck, and the bizarre looking "airboat" slowly moved off into the dark rainy mist. Bumperstkr was gone again, still one jump ahead of the copyright police. I didn't see him again over the course of the rally, but several times, when the wind was blowing in just the right direction, I was able to smell coconuts. I have a feeling that Bumperstkr was unobserved in the background during our rally, watching us enjoy our tee shirts, and applying our "AIR" stickers.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:13 PM   #109
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Thumbs up We had a great time, wish you were here.

Well, another Florida forum rally is in the books, and by all accounts, it was a great success. Everyone that was able to attend had a great time, we all got to gawk at each others' Airstreams and swap travel stories. Our rally wasa slightly smaller than expected, as Pick was pressed into service for the hurricane Katrina cleanup, and Summerkid had car trouble, and had to sit this one out. We haven't heard from Ray Pena, if you are out there, Ray, give us a shout and let us know you are okay. The remaining members went to the Dali museum in St. Pete, the old fort from which Fort DeSoto Park gets its name, and a quick tour of some of the restaraunts of Tiera Verde (the town nearest the park).
Happy hour was a quiet affair, as I was unfortunately helping Safeharbor perform smoke tests on his Dakota. Pot luck dinner was great, with another dose of TomW's almost famous fried chicken, and tons of homemade side dishes and deserts washed down with our favorite adult beverages. Folowing the dinner, we were slated to dispense the door prizes, but it looks like the post office decided to keep them for a while. We were able to provide a door prize of all issues of Airstream Life, from issue one through the current issue. A hasty consultation and drawing of non-subcribers' site number, left Lamar (safeharbor) the winner of the collection. Thanks to Airstream Life for their donation, it was greatly appreciated by all present.
The evening entertainment was the movie "National Treasure" projected against the side of Brett G's MoHo. All the moviewatchers agreed it was like going to a drive-in without the cars, and was a pretty cool experience.
Sunday morning came too early, as it meant we all had to say goodbye until next time. It was a great time, we renewed old aquaintances, made some new friends, and provided Kim (tomw's wife) with her Mudslide fix.
The photos in the following posts are in no particular order, and show the forum members and their coaches.
Everyone had a great time, and we are already in the initial planning stages of the next forum rally. Stay tuned.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:17 PM   #110
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Cool A Rogue's gallery

Here, as in previous rallys, are some photos of forum members and their coaches, with a couple of photos of the pot luck dinner.
First photo is of TomW (Tom) and his wife, Kim:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000743.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	14803  
Old 09-25-2005, 06:18 PM   #111
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Smile Driftwood

Next is Driftwood (Norm) with his 4 legged companion:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM000747.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	14808  
Old 09-25-2005, 06:19 PM   #112
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Sneakinup:

Here is a photo of Sneakinup (Barry):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM000746.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	14809  
Old 09-25-2005, 06:21 PM   #113
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Rivet Catherder:

Here is Catherder (Clyde) with Cat (the girl), and their 4 legged companion:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM000748.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	14814  
Old 09-25-2005, 06:23 PM   #114
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Thumbs up Safeharbor:

Here is Safeharbor (Lamar):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM000745.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	14815  
Old 09-25-2005, 06:25 PM   #115
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Sunset at our campsite:

Here, for your viewing pleasure, is a photo of a beautiful sunset behind our coach:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM000734.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	14816  
Old 09-25-2005, 06:26 PM   #116
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
And the pot luck:

Here are a couple of photos from the pot luck dinner:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM000737.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	14821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000739.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	14822  

Old 09-26-2005, 09:01 PM   #117
catherder

1967 17' Caravel
1973 23' Safari
Panama City , Florida
Good Times

Thoroughly enjoyed the rally, and meeting so many kindred souls who share the aluminum craziness. Pot luck was too good to describe. Thanks and Kudos (whatever those might be) to organizer, participants and the mysterious bmprstkr. Looking forward to the next one.

Clyde in Panama City
catherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:53 PM   #118
Forums Sticker Outlaw

Kingston , Surrey
Hey Terry ... I just back to my carib cabana and pedalled for a half hour to power the 12v Internet rig I've got here. You're welcome. I hope to crash more forum events if I can get my floating Airstream there...
Bumperstickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:36 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Kim and I really enjoyed seeing and/or meeting everyone at this year's Rally. It was lots of fun. I'm sorry we had to leave so early on Sunday as I did not get a chance to say goodbye to everyone.

Terry - Your Overlander is coming along great! I know you & Marie are extremely proud of what the both of you have accomplished. Sneakinup - Just 'cuz the A/C's rated at 15,000 Btus does not mean that every single one of them has to be used 24/7!

And finally, thanks Mr. Stickr (and accomplices) for the tee shirt & sticker. I plan to store them with my "do not remove under penalty of law" mattress tag collection.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:25 AM   #120
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Talking Everywhere!

These were found Everywhere!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AIR T-Shirt sml.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	15068  
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote