Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Are you a WBCCI Member? ( For Our N.GA and nearby group only)
Yes 20 45.45%
No 21 47.73%
Might consider joining 3 6.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #221
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
BRING THAT BANJO...It will be fun. Bring whatever you play..that's what the weekend is for- playing, streamin', and all that.
Say where's Martin Pressley with the poems???
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #222
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Rallies & rhymes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
BRING THAT BANJO...It will be fun. Bring whatever you play..that's what the weekend is for- playing, streamin', and all that.
Say where's Martin Presley with the poems???
Thanks for remembering my part time vocation
but at my age everything takes a bit of inspiration.
When this drought is broken & the verse is a tad better than dumb
we will polish a few lines for this year's Falluminum.

cheers,
em.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #223
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I like your idea, to wait awhile. When rain truly comes to quench your land, the spirit of poetic essence will be near at hand.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #224
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Vickie no more...

Sad and glad - yesterday, Vickie, our 2005 34' Classic Limited S/O, is now at Florida (Bates RV) in search of a proud new family. We traded her to order a new 2008 27FB International Ocean Breeze. Wth one 14 year old child left at home to travel with (daughter off to Aurburn - yes, go War Eagle), we felt less was more. We LOVED the 34' "mother ship", but can't wait for our to-be-named new family member some time likely in September. We'll have to leave Martin and Blanche to carry the 34' torch!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #225
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob
We'll have to leave Martin and Blanche to carry the 34' torch!
History shows that we stand a better chance on a carry than a pull.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #226
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Sad and glad - yesterday, Vickie, our 2005 34' Classic Limited S/O, is now at Florida (Bates RV) in search of a proud new family. We traded her to order a new 2008 27FB International Ocean Breeze. Wth one 14 year old child left at home to travel with (daughter off to Aurburn - yes, go War Eagle), we felt less was more. We LOVED the 34' "mother ship", but can't wait for our to-be-named new family member some time likely in September. We'll have to leave Martin and Blanche to carry the 34' torch!
Congratulations! I think I looked at an Ocean Breeze in Cookeville (Middle Tennessee Airstream) when we qualified for the free book. Very nice .

Try to remember that it's back there though. It will seem soooo much smaller...

Will there be room enough to carry the drums to Falluminum? Hope so .

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:36 PM   #227
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Please see the poll at the beginning of the Falluminum Thread.
Wolud you consider a new WBCCI Chapter for our group members?
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #228
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Good Idea Alan! More Thoughts on the Matter...

Danielle and I have been members of WBCCI for over 5 years. We were MALs for several years while we became familiar with the club. Our main reason for joining as MAL was to avoid creating expectations in a unit that we would be active members. We recently joined Washington DC Unit since it is relatively close to us (if 400 miles is close) and WDCU is happy to have anyone as a member - regardless of whether you can attend meetings.

We subsequently met some of the WDCU folks at the international in Perry - they're great! WDCU will be a good fit for Danielle and me in the near term. We hope to attend the Cherry Blossom Rally with WDCU next spring. I know there is at least one other WBCCI/WDCU member who is active in the north Georgia Forum rallies.

I like the idea of a new North Georgia Unit (more a virtual unit / forum type unit). Joining the WDCU and operating under their auspices (sp?) may be a good place to start. WDCU may be willing to entertain the idea of a N GA satellite group operating rallies and informal gatherings under their jurisdiction. Paul Waddell, the president of the WDCU, would be the person to contact.

Danielle and I attended as many seminars as possible at the international in Perry. We wanted to learn as much about rallies, caravans, etc. so we could use that knowledge to help the club.

The international was a great experience. There are many within WBCCI that recognize the club needs attention. I feel sure change will come. Maybe the idea of a satellite group is viable in the current environment then branch out to a full fledged unit when the time comes. At several international rally seminars I suggested the idea of a completely virtual unit - a nationwide or a worldwide unit. I received some furled brows but nobody said no - I think it may be time for such a thing. Membership in WDCU may be a good place to start and then go from there. Maybe someday there will be virtual units.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #229
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
Please see the poll at the beginning of the Falluminum Thread.
Wolud you consider a new WBCCI Chapter for our group members?
The question I would ask is - to what end, or for what purpose?

I really enjoy the comraderie of our - what would you call us - sort of southeast ad hoc group. The events we have participated, like the N. GA and Topsail rallies, have been a blast - and without WBCCI membership.

So, would our events change? Would we be holding business meetings, voting, electing officers, taking meeting minutes? Would we create better events, grow participation, gain additional benefits in other areas?

I'm not saying yeah or nay, but I am struggling with the value proposition here. Open to ideas, though!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

Old 07-20-2007, 08:05 PM   #230
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
... of course, if as a result of creating a WBCCI unit we could get some horn players to join the band, then it might be worth it...

Old 07-21-2007, 06:02 AM   #231
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I for one thought the attraction of the event (and this group) was its spontaneity and lack of structure. As Julie and I not WBCCI members and don’t have the same focus as many of our group I shouldn’t be the one to decide. But of course I had to chime in on this, just for the record.

Horn player or two would be nice…. A big band brass section, keyboard player, … oh and lights. Soon we’d have everyone on stage in the band and nobody in the audience.

As and after thought how do we address the growing number of attendees who are not Airstream owners? Do we ban the SOB's? Does the group have to start a petition to International to admit these stray cats? Just a thought.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:08 AM   #232
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I agree. My expectations for this "group" have been met. Its fun, laid back and mildly organized only to the extent it needs to be. But I wonder if we would benefit from the affiliation for larger events that we could attend, or attract more members with Airstreams? Just kicking this around. I had no interest in this until I went to the Int'l at Perry and especially met the VAC members there.
Just a discussion for me at this point....
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:07 AM   #233
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
The old adages, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and "the enemy of good is better" come to mind.

If this group intends to change it's mission or purpose, maybe the idea should be considered. Right now we have a good thing going with a little fun, a little music, a little food (OK, a lot of food), and a little camping with friends regardless of camper badging. I like us just the way we are. No pressure and the living is easy.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:28 AM   #234
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
All agreed. I was thinking though a revitalized WBCCI group might attract more folks...but thinking gave me a headache. We can share thoughts on that at the Rally (or not). Thanks for input.

Actually a tin can tourists type group open to all is more what we have. The actual TCT never got back to me on if they had or wanted a GA Chapter.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-22-2007, 10:17 AM   #235
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Band of Gypsies

The more I think about the WBCCI idea, the more I think it does not fit the character or interests or organization (or lack thereof) that seems to typify our group - if we can even call it a group.

What tends to "group" us are the rallies - Falluminum as but one example. We come together ad hoc, and that is just awesome. For those who can't make that particular rally, I think we at least tend to lose those "members" for six months until the next event. Many (most) of us have busy schedules - or conflicting events to one of these rallies - I think that is the norm.

So, a thought. Does the creation of a group within this forum make sense - a Band of Gypsies. Membership is as loosely defined as we are now, but when getting on the forum there is a common place you can go regardless of upcoming rally. Perhaps it might be a way to attract others to our "band".
The concept embraces the non-Airstream members, which I see as a positive. Like I said... just a thought...

Old 07-23-2007, 07:39 AM   #236
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I would be willing to move my Georgia Unit membership to a new Unit if it were formed by this group. WBCCI Rallies often are buddy rallies and include SOB's; it's up to the rally organizer, not WBCCI, IIRC. I don't know about the WDCU, but I don't think they are as structured as the other WBCCI units. I think that is one of the things they are all about. I think the same can be said about the 4CU. I have thought of moving my membership to the WDCU but didn't know if there were any other members in the North GA area. Good to know there are at least two members in the area.

I would like to continue to be a member of the WBCCI, but the Georgia Unit hasn't offered me much as of yet. Maybe it's because we haven't attended one of their rallies, but from what I've read in the newsletter, there hasn't been anything that would have been in my families age group.

So, yes, I would be interested in moving my membership if the group were formed into a new unit.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:13 AM   #237
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
We'll Be There

Hi everyone,

We just reserved site 59. On that weekend, we'll be returning from our October trip to Michigan, and being a part of this rally seemed like a nice way to end the trip.
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #238
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I agree with this Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
The old adages, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and "the enemy of good is better" come to mind.

If this group intends to change it's mission or purpose, maybe the idea should be considered. Right now we have a good thing going with a little fun, a little music, a little food (OK, a lot of food), and a little camping with friends regardless of camper badging. I like us just the way we are. No pressure and the living is easy.
I enjoy the loose knit group that we have. Making it more formal with meetings, pomp, and circumstance would take a bit of the wind out of the sails for me. (just my opinion)
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:32 AM   #239
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Quote:
Sad and glad - yesterday, Vickie, our 2005 34' Classic Limited S/O, is now at Florida (Bates RV) in search of a proud new family.
I will have to tell Melissa that you sold her new love! Watch out, Martin and Blanche, Melissa might just live with you at the rally! She said my 1972 31 footer was not "new" enough!

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #240
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Like Alan, we spent a day at the International (actually ran into Alan there). SPent most of our time with the VAC folks and we had a great time. It was much differnent than we expected. End result is that we will be joining the WBCCI in the near future, and we will be joining one of the, umm, more progresive units. I would love to see a FCU, WDCU type of unit in the Southeast someplace. Maybe we could organize a new one. Who knows.

BUT, I think Sugarfoot nailed it. We seem to having a great time with the informal rallies. Why change that? Just my 2 cents.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote