RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #100
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
FALLUMINUM 2016
Please check the schedule on this site for what to expect.

A1 Mike & Nancy
A3 Alan & Shannon
A7 Bill & Robin
A10 Don & Lou
A20 David and Marcia
A21 Bill and Janice ( Airdreamers)
A22 Harry and Joyce
A23 Deb & Jon
A24 Ed & Jeanne
A26 Doug & Joanne
A28 Protagonist
A34 PizzaChop (Ron & Brenda & Kids)
A36 Matt & Beth
A37 Tin Lizzie- Chuck & Carol
A38 Mark and Darsey
A39 Brad and Karen
B14 Frank and Reba
C1 Tin Can Twinkies
D9 Steve and Tobie (Chatthayer)
F1 Pete & Diane
F6 Annette and Joe
F10 Phil & Sue
+ un-named Tin Can Tourist members....

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 08-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #101
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
It is with heavy heart (literally!) that I must cancel for Falluminum 2016. I will be contacting the campground sometime tomorrow morning to release my campsite.

I have been informed that on September 13th I will be going into the hospital at weird-thirty in the morning for triple bypass surgery. Five days as an inpatient, then six weeks of convalescence at home before I can even start my rehabilitative exercises, if all goes well.

Given that time frame, there's no way I could even travel to Falluminum, even if I somehow found a cardiologist adventurous enough to allow me to convalesce at a campground.

On the plus side, the arterial blockages were found during a Lexiscan, and not as the result of a stroke or heart attack. So at least I'll be stronger and more resilient going into the surgery than someone who found out the hard way that they needed it.

Y'all enjoy the rally. I'm already looking forward to next year!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Protag many best wishes and healthy recovery on your procedure.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:41 AM   #103
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
glad you got the scan. I have been Cardiac Calcium scanned every few years and it helped me prevent blockage in my arteries.
I highly suggest Kyolic Cardio formula as part of a preventive routine. It had done wonders for me.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 08-31-2016, 06:44 AM   #104
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Had the exact same surgery in March. First few weeks are tough, gets much better, don't get discouraged. It was three months before I felt almost normal, four months before I could lift anything heavy without pain. Walking is the best rehab, I walked every day as far as I could, I still walk even today. I found my upper body strength went totally away so I bought three pound weights to carry as I walked and still use them today for exercising. Watch your weight, as you feel better you may want to overeat. This is a good time to reevaluate your diet, I did and lost 25 pounds. Again, don't get discouraged, do what the rehab person tells you, walk as much as you can. It took me almost five months to feel better than normal. I mean BETTEr than what I thought was normal. Even now I have to be careful lifting fifty pounds or more, remember they've cut all your muscles and wired you together inside and glued you outside. Watch medications, ask why you have to take each one, be careful of duplications and unnecessary meds. Do your research on meds, especially the Statin drugs. I refuse this because of the side effects. I now take one blood pressure drug only. I feel after five months I can do much more than I could do before, never realized I was so limited. Good luck, hope I didn't go overboard on this. One more thing, if you have no one to stay with you, you may want to go to a rehab facility. It is very difficult to get up to even use the bathroom for a while right after surgery. You can do this and in a few months you will be amazed at how much better you feel. Dude, it's a scary deal, you can handle.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:48 AM   #105
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Alan, I apologize for hijacking this thread above. Just trying to give Pro some incite.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:22 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
this is important stuff especially when it concerns one of us. No hijack at all.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 08-31-2016, 10:04 AM   #107

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Thanks for all of the encouragement and advice. I count myself lucky that the problem was found before I began showing symptoms, though unlucky that the condition was too far advanced for stents to solve the problem.

And the medication thing is already sorting itself out. My cardiologist already took me off one medication prescribed by my endocrinologist and one prescribed by my ophthalmologist, in preparation for the procedure.

My new girlfriend— a second-generation Airstreamer, yay me!— is determined to take better care of me than I take of myself, and I've already lost six pounds since the cardiac problem was discovered, thanks to her. And that weight loss is in spite of her good cooking!

She's also a lot more charming than I am, so I'm sure when you guys get to meet her (Canopener 2017?) you'll welcome her with open arms— and kick me to the curb!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:37 PM   #108
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Looks like you are in good hands, I couldn't have made it without my wife's help. By the way, the triple bipass was much less painful than a knee replacement. In your recovery you may seem like you are plateauing, then all of a sudden you will jump ahead. It only takes time. Good luck and keep posting?
Old 08-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
You will feel more energetic and generally better once this is behind you.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 09-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Adairsville , Georgia
Uh oh! Prayers for a quick and speedy recovery!! Once you heal, you will feel amazing!!
1 Happy Life
tin.can.twinkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Taylors , South Carolina
Protag, good luck with your surgery brother. I am on the other side of your hospital stay as a cardiac ICU nurse. Get moving early and often and you'll do well! The 2nd and 3rd day are typically the toughest. Don't forget to keep those lungs expanded by using your incentive spirometer as prescribed! You definitely don't want pneumonia complicating your path to recovery.

Alan, my wife and I are new Airstream owners living in Upstate, SC. Are we able come down one of the days and walk around the park touring the Airstreams and get some sage advice from the pros?
Old 09-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #112

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Profound apologies to all who have been eagerly awaiting my cancellation so they could make their own reservation. I have been understandably distracted, in between the impending surgery and the new girlfriend, and canceling my reservation has slipped my mind more than once. Tomorrow for sure, though!

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4