Old 01-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Am I correct in reading that we should look for sites starting with 81 and higher? Preferably 81 - 100?
I threw that out there a few weeks ago hoping someone who has been there would give it the thumbs up or thumbs down. Anyone? If nobody knows, I say we go for that first loop... 81-100.

As of right now you can make reservations starting July 22nd, so we have about a week to nail down exactly where we need to be. Then we'll need to hit the system hard on the first day the sites open up for reservations.

Does anyone know if one person can make multiple reservations?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	petoskey_tannerycreek.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	149392  

Old 01-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #72
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
Does anyone know if one person can make multiple reservations?
When I was checking the reservation site earlier today it appeared you could put more than one campsite into your checkout basket. I didn't try it since the dates we need are not available yet. I don't know if you can change the parameters (i.e. date range, number of days, trailer length) for each campsite or if all the campsites in one basket have to be the same.

Lucius

Old 01-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Reservations

I think YES to the upper loop. It's shadier and the spaces look to be a bit farther apart according to google maps.

To book a campsite you have to be registered on the Michigan DNR. So I did that. I did a "test" that I was going to be camping for 3 nights and I wanted 3 sites. No problem, I just needed to add names for the person responsible for each site, then I needed to pay for each site's full stay plus a non-refundable $8 booking fee per site.

I tried to add more to the cart and it wouldn't allow me. Then I deleted them all and was able to add a maximum of 5. So, I guess the answer is up to 5 can be booked, but they would need to be paid for at time of booking.

The campground looks really popular. It looks like individuals are booking for long stays also. I think if you know your date, you just really need to get on it as soon as your arrival date allows. Here are the cancellation terms:
Changes to this reservation must be made via the call center and will result in full cancellation. The $8 reservation fee included in the initial reservation is nonrefundable. Cancellations made up to close of business the day prior to your scheduled arrival date will incur the $10 cancellation fee. If you cancel on your day of arrival or later you forfeit the first nights camp fee as well as the $10 cancellation and $8 reservation fee. Reservations are held until 3PM the day after scheduled arrival date. If arriving more than 24 hours late, you must cancel the whole reservation and rebook for new desired dates. Failure to do so will result in a no-show with loss of all fees.
So, I have my calendar marked to book as soon as possible.

Tina

Old 01-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
I notice there is no water hook up... just sayin'. Still patiently waiting.
Barry & Karen
Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
We may have a problem

I just did a test search for the weekend of July 13th for sites for a 30 foot motorhome. Zero available.

Sites for a 30 foot trailer. Zero.

Sites for a 25 foot trailer. One available.

Sites for a 20 foot trailer. Six available.

Here are some site statistics I pulled from the map:

Site / Max Trailer / Site size

81 25 feet 30x30
82 20 feet 20x40
83 30 feet 20x35
84 20 feet 20x30
85 25 feet 20x30
86 20 feet 20x30
87 25 feet 25x30
88 20 feet 20x30
89 25 feet 30x30
90 25 feet 20x30
91 25 feet 20x30

I noticed all the sites along the northern edge were booked. Every site in the entire campground that handles larger rigs is already booked and very few of us have trailers smaller than 20 feet.

I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks, but right now I don't think we'll be able to make this work at Petoskey. The place is simply too small and too popular to get a group together.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Petoskey Test 20 foot.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	149457  
Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #76
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Let's don't give up yet. I may be off base but let's try a few workarounds first.

1) Are you willing to call the office to speak to somebody about this? For instance, they could tell you which 30 ft. spaces might be available assuming we blast the online reservation system immediately on February 2 (or whatever day corresponds to 6 months later).

2) What about the other camping area at Petoskey?

3) The entire campground (at least this area) is not huge. It's okay if we don't get sites side-by-side. Maybe we have to branch out to higher site numbers.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #77
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks, but right now I don't think we'll be able to make this work at Petoskey. The place is simply too small and too popular to get a group together.
Okay, I have a better understanding of the availabilty issue compared to other state parks in the region. For instance, I searched for available campsites at Petoskey, Wilderness, Straights and Cheboygan State Parks with the following parameters:

Arrive: July 23 (6 months from today)

Length of stay: 6 nights (so that includes a weekend)

Trailer: 30 feet

Electricity: yes

The result - Petoskey had 7 sites available. The other 3 campgrounds had dozens of sites available.

I have not taken time to see the amenities at the other campgrounds. Do they have lake access, etc.?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
You could reverse your itinerary and instead of visiting Mackinac from Petrosky you could camp at Wilderness State Park(by Mackinac) and visit Petrosky. Would that help any?

Wilderness State Park - Michigan Beaches, Biking, Cabins & Cottages, Campgrounds, Cross Country Skiing, Hiking & Backpacking, Hunting, Nature & Parks - Pure Michigan Travel

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #79
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Wilderness, Straights, Cheboygan?

Wilderness has 30A sites and a boat launch. Very few sites are available in the Lakeshore loop (sites 1 - 150). There are lots of sites available in the Pines loop (sites 151 - 226).

Straights has 30A sites but does not have a boat launch.

Cheboygan appears to only have 20A sites, although it does have a boat launch.

It appears with all of these state parks you have to fill your fresh water tank before you set up. Or make it a point to be relatively close to a water connection so you can refill as needed.

It looks like Wilderness may be the way to go. TinLoaf - what do you think?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #80
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Tannery Creek

I just did a search of Tannery Creek starting the next available date and that is July 25th. At the moment, only 13 sites are booked for the weekend we are looking at. I think it's a popular campground and it seems most campers are coming to stay for a week or two at a time. I think Steve will be able to book soon since he is coming the weekend prior and I think that will be very telling to see how many book for extended stays starting that weekend. I'm not willing to give up just yet, but I think we need to be "on it" when our date becomes available.

It looks like Wilderness Campground has a similar situation for the sites nearest the water.

Where ever we go it's going to be awesome!

Tina
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	39
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	149485  
Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Don't worry. There's no way this rally will get cancelled, but I'm looking at options.

I'm much more in favor of sticking together vs. spreading out throughout the campground. That's the spirit of an Airstream Rally... there's something magical about Airstreams together in a group.

If we're forced to spread out we absolutely need a central gathering space like a pavilion, and I don't see that.

I took a look at Wilderness State Park using those same parameters. There's a lakeshore loop that looks very popular, but the loop in the forest looks like it would work. Most of the sites allow 34 foot rigs and the sites right around the bathroom look like the last to fill up.

Hopefully Kelly will jump in. She really had her heart set on Petoskey State Park.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wilderness Image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	149489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wilderness Map.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	149490  

Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm going to leave it up to others as to where we end up, but will vote with Steve for trying to stay reasonably grouped together as opposed to spread out all over everywhere.

Fewer amenities/conveniences may have to be sacrificed in the interest of large enough sites, etc.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #83
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Another thought...

Just another thought... What about a "group" area campsite at Petoskey? I think that would put us in boondocking mode, but we'd all be together. I don't see a lot of info on their website regarding their group camping. It may require a phone call to get details. We'd be up for it!

Tina
Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
I just looked at the reservation site. There is an availability calendar where you can see what is booked in 2 week intervals. The site was only showing sites 81 - 101 so I'm not sure what happened to the rest of the sites.

The thing to remember is that you can't reserve until 6 months from the date you ARRIVE but once your day is here then you can take a week or more. So all of our sites could easily be claimed by people arriving just a few days before we want to. Since many of us are arriving mid week, we could easily lose out to people getting there on the weekend and staying. Looking at the calendar it appears that is what is happening.