Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
I think Doug should skip the 45th and plan to go to the 50th. Besides, reunions are stupid. This rally is going to be EPIC.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
I think Doug should skip the 45th and plan to go to the 50th. Besides, reunions are stupid. This rally is going to be EPIC.

Umm, well, there are two of us in this soon-to-be-20-year marriage, and his needs and feelings count, too.

Doug grew up in a small town in Iowa, where everyone knew everyone else. Most of these folks he's known since childhood he only sees at these reunions. It's important to him and he's only missed one since he graduated. Got to go.

We are making a compromise going to the Friday do rather than our usual attendance at the dress-up dinner.

I agree this rally is going to be EPIC. It may become an annual event.

The reunion is only once every 5 years.

Maggie

Old 01-14-2012, 01:58 AM   #59
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Whoa!!! Did someone mention THE BADGER...the ferry from Wisconsin to Michigan? or Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI....had to laugh because (true story) we were rode the Badger to see my grandma in WI. On the return we pulled up to the docks just in time to watch them close the hatch and totally missed the boat. Had to drive through the Windy City all the way back home. Why? Why did we miss The Badger???? Because a rerun of The Godfather was on that morning in the hotel.

Mellen60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Didn't know it was called the Badger, looks like it would be fun to take some time but it was not going to shorten or hasten a trip back to Iowa from TC.

We love to take ferries, wherever we are. With the Interstate or by ourselves, like out to Nantucket Island from Cape Cod. We look for them on the maps (paper, we still use them) and will drive out of our way to take them.

So fun!

Maggie
Old 01-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
There is another great ferry trip, riding the MS.Chi-Cheemaun. It runs from Tobermory in Ontario Canada, across Georgian Bay to Manitoulin Is. you can stay there on the island,or drive to the north side of the island to Little Current and take the long bridge over to Whitefish Falls then north up to Highway17 at Espanola. Hang a left there and go west to Sault Ste. Marie Canada, then south across the International Bridge to Sault Ste. Marie (US), don't forget to visit the locks there . From there the whole UP awaits you!!. Might be a fun return trip after the Petoskey camp in.
Barry
Old 01-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Barry

I agree. Ferrys are neat. I was going to the BMW national motorcycle rally in 1977 and was taking the ferry from Tobermory to Manatoulin Island (the largest freshwater island in the world I was told). Anyhow I missed the 8:00 ferry and it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I got to eat a leasurely breakfast in the harbor, took a glass bottom boat cruise to view the ship wrecks in the harbor from fire (visibility 25 ft) and went to see Flowerpot Island. While waiting for the ferry to depart I met a wonderful older couple traveling in an Avion truck camper. They gave me a tour and I was impressed. I remember the birch wood paneling and all the pictures they had on the walls. I said to myself, that is how I am going to travel when I get older. This particular ferry was amazing. I will never forget how it just swallowed buses and semi's with ease.

Dan
Old 01-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
The Badger takes 4 hours to cross Lake Michigan and the ferry (Lake Express) from Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee, WI takes 2.5 hours. Both are nice. But I do not think that the Lake Express takes travel trailers on board.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
[QUOTE=TouringDan;1094092]Barry

I agree. Ferrys are neat. This particular ferry was amazing. I will never forget how it just swallowed buses and semi's with ease.

It will also take train cars I believe... but yes it is big and a great ride for sure... For sure worth the trip just to go to the island... It has a great waterfall on the island , and I remember catching huge splake right at the fall in mid summer.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
UTB Rally goers - I've created a graphic for the rally and sent it to Janet for on the AF site. If Janet gives it her blessing, it should be up shortly and a direct link to Steve's rally information and sign up. Since it was Steve's idea to have the rally, I thought I should include TinLoaf. Kelly - the Hen House is up next for the next graphic!!

Tina
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UTB Graphic 125x125.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	759.0 KB
ID:	149083  
Old 01-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2bcarefree View Post
Since it was Steve's idea to have the rally
This rally is all Kelly. I'm just helping set it up.

That graphic is excellent. We definitely need to have stickers made (you know I'm a sucker for door stickers) and Kelly has a source for stickers and T-shirts.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #67
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Super Saweeeeeet Sticker

Tina! Great job; thank you so much. That sticker says it all. You made me smile.

I'm looking forward to Steve's Olympic Games night...his idea of projecting the Olympic Games, LIVE, on the side of his Airstream is a Gold Medal winner in my book! We can have a U.S.A. pot luck dinner that night with red, white, and blue fixings and decorations. Hint..save those July 4th decorations.

We should submit a night picture of all of us in chairs -and- standing- and- cheering- around the campfire as we go for the gold while the games are projected and reflected on the slipery silver side of an Airstream...a perfect "10" for an upcoming issue of the Airstream Magazine.

Mellen60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:12 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2bcarefree View Post
UTB Rally goers - I've created a graphic for the rally and sent it to Janet for on the AF site. If Janet gives it her blessing, it should be up shortly and a direct link to Steve's rally information and sign up. Since it was Steve's idea to have the rally, I thought I should include TinLoaf. Kelly - the Hen House is up next for the next graphic!!

Tina
Wow! That's beautiful!

You're very clever.

Maggie
Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #69
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellen60 View Post
Tina! Great job; thank you so much. That sticker says it all. You made me smile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Wow! That's beautiful!

You're very clever.

Maggie
Thanks!!

Tina
Old 01-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #70
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Reservation Time Is Drawing Near....

.... so I want to double-check the suggested site numbers.

Am I correct in reading that we should look for sites starting with 81 and higher? Preferably 81 - 100?

Thanks, Lucius