Old 07-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #309
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamper View Post
Thanks for creating and posting the helpful rally schedule.

Do we need to make our own reservations for the Grand Hotel buffet lunch and horse and carriage grounds tour or do we sign up for that with the rally? Laird and I will be going as well as our friends (Ralph and Carol) who are staying in a cabin.

We're looking forward to the rally and enjoying Michigan.

Nancy
Do we need to make our own reservations for the Grand Hotel buffet lunch and horse and carriage grounds tour?

Old 07-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #310
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Nancy Mac,

I don't know the answer to your question... I know when I emailed with Kelly last weekend she said she was going to be really busy this week, so I know she's not ignoring you. :-)

I checked the website about the lunch buffet at the Grand Hotel and the price looks to be a couple dollars higher, so Kelly may have indeed worked something out with the hotel, and no where does it say reservations are needed.

Kelly probably is putting something together for the carriage rides, the island website says there are over 600 horses on the island, so I bet Kelly has a favorite she likes to use.

Let's see what she pipes in here...

See you in just a few weeks!!

Tina

Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #311
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
Unhappy Wes am Cancel!

We are really sad to have to cancel our reservation for the rally. We have had to change our plans for this summer now 7 times. We own a yacht brokerage company and have had a deal that was in incubation since May that Thank G_D finally closed. Then I will probably travel to London later this month when my daughter gives birth. So we will have to stay closer to home. That makes 3 years in a row I had planned on traveling up to the peninsula. Enjoy yourselves and stay safe. As my wife always says, "It must be for a reason".
Old 07-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #312
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Ticket Info Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamper View Post
Do we need to make our own reservations for the Grand Hotel buffet lunch and horse and carriage grounds tour?
Hi Nancy,

It has been a busy 4th of July here on our farm as the wheat harvest comes in. I apologize for the delay in responding. Our Grand Buffet Lunch has been discounted and I am working on getting a discounted rate on the carriage rides as well. The Grand Hotel group sales office was closed most of this week and the lady I'm working with there has promised to get back to me by Tuesday.

I've asked a representative of the Grand Hotel to come to the campground on Thursday between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m., 8/2, to sell their carriage and lunch tickets for Friday, 8/3. This way we have our tickets the night before.

I'm also working with the ferry company on a discounted rate back and forth. When I get these confirmations and set prices, I will post them.

Hopefully the Grand Hotel will send over someone to pre-sell tickets at our rates so that the day is seamless. We don't have half of our folks waiting in this or that ticket line, etc. Also, if someone wants to go to the lunch but doesn't want the carriage ride, then they can buy only those tickets they want.

Thank you again for your patience. I'm getting all antsy in the pantsy myself as the dates fast approach!

Have a wonderful weekend everybody! Kelly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	554483_218692384918064_162531920_n.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	162508   Click image for larger version

Name:	393799_165701220202043_118031484969017_221636_554421617_n.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	162510  

Attached Images

Mellen60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #313
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Kelly, thanks for the info.

Balancing the need to have details wrapped up for trips versus going with the flow is a bit of a challenge for me even in retirement.

We will have two people with us from Tulsa. They don't have a trailer and are staying in one of the cabins. They'll want to join in our activities such as the buffet and carriage tours as well as lake cruises.

Nancy Mac
Old 07-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #314
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
ALL Fudge

Arbor Brewing Company has whipped up what is likely the best stout beer in the world, Mackinac Island Fudge Stout. Friday, August 3, at 6 p.m. stop by the PINK PONY to taste what the fuss is all about.

Fudge and Mackinac Island are synonymous and with good reason. The sweet and creamy treat has been a staple here for more than a century. While Mackinac Island doesn’t claim to have created fudge, it certainly has been perfected at Mackinac Island Fudge Shops .

Fudge making began as Mackinac Island transitioned from a wealthy fur trading post to a famous summer resort. In 1887, as resorts were being planned and constructed, Mackinac's first candy shop, Murdick's Candy Kitchen, opened. It was here that the marble table was first used to make fudge, a process which gave the fudge a unique texture and also provided a great show for visitors.

Pure Michigan “Mackinac Island”
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #315
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
And if I remember correctly, the shops actually pump the smell out to the streets through vents in the eaves. You just can't walk by without drooling.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #316
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
We're planning our route and timing of our drive. We do plan a stop at Founders Brewery in Grand Rapids on the drive up. We'll find a campground near Grand Rapids to stay in as we make our way north and probably do the same on the return trip as we make our way south again.

That fudge sounds great.

Nancy Mac
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #317
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Camping Near Grand Rapids

If you're looking for deluxe camping with all of the amenities, try:

Hidden Ridge-An RV Resort: The friendliest, deluxe RV resort in west Michigan

Hidden Ridge is south of Grand Rapids by about 25 minutes.

Also, you can try River Ridge about 40 minutes north of Grand Rapids:

RIVER RIDGE RESORT in Stanwood, Michigan

These are high-end and usually not easy to get into, so make your reservations early. They are both right off of US 131, so easy access if you're traveling through on your way north.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #318
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
If you're looking for deluxe camping with all of the amenities, try:

Hidden Ridge-An RV Resort: The friendliest, deluxe RV resort in west Michigan

Hidden Ridge is south of Grand Rapids by about 25 minutes.

Also, you can try River Ridge about 40 minutes north of Grand Rapids:

RIVER RIDGE RESORT in Stanwood, Michigan

These are high-end and usually not easy to get into, so make your reservations early. They are both right off of US 131, so easy access if you're traveling through on your way north.
Thanks for the post. Earlier this evening I sent an e-mail to Hidden Ridge asking about a reservation. Their web site indicates they don't take reservations for RVs older than 10 years without contacting them first. We have a 1974 fully renovated Airstream so we'll see what they say. We've only run up against this one other time and it wasn't a problem for us once they knew we had a renovated Airstream. We're looking forward to our trip to Michigan.

Nancy Mac
Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #319
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
So I'm looking for suggestions. Driving hard I can make the bridge in about 8 hours. I'm leaving Fiday after work from the Cleveland area.

Whats the ideal vacation plans? Things I'm considering: Shipwreck museum, the falls, and maybe the locks. What else is the "don't miss" stuff?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #320
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Suggested Day Trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
So I'm looking for suggestions. Driving hard I can make the bridge in about 8 hours. I'm leaving Fiday after work from the Cleveland area.

Whats the ideal vacation plans? Things I'm considering: Shipwreck museum, the falls, and maybe the locks. What else is the "don't miss" stuff?
Hi Dan,

If you've never been and can squeeze time in, please think about stopping at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. It is just the right size to hit the main attractions (like the actual chair Abraham Lincoln was shot in at Ford's Theater, Rosa Park's Bus, President Kennedy's car he was assasinated in, AND AN AIRSTREAM) in 2-4 hours...depending on what you are interested in. There is an auto museum there, too. Ford was big friends with Einstein and Thomas Edison. Lots of interesting science, prototypes, history and cool stuff. Not a big place like Chicago museums. This one is manageable!

My humble recommendation to you and others would be:

• Full Day Loop: Dunes Beach on Lake Michigan near Brevort in the U.P., just past St. Ignace, in the morning. This isn't a traditional beach. It isn't crowded with kids, umbrellas, and people. It is left natural and folks pick a spot on it. You can pull over and park legally on the side of the highway whereever the spirit moves you. It's da U.P., eh? No rules. Get out and take some pictures or walk down to the water thru the pure sand and enjoy how peaceful it is, or go all out and bring your suntan lotion and trunks. Lots of folks just walk the shoreline for some zen. Take a picnic with you or get back on the road, go 50 miles through the Hiawatha National Forest, to the Tahquamenon Falls Brewery & Cafe, tour Upper and Lower Falls before heading another 30 miles west (along beautiful Lake Superior!) to Whitefish Point's Shipwreck Museum. In one day you would see Great Lakes Huron, Michigan and Superior. Then back to the campground. See da bridge lit up at night and check out Mackinaw City's tourist trap town for some fudge if you have any energy left! Click on: https://www.google.com/search?q=tahq...w=1280&bih=880

• Full Day Trip: Hop on I-75 to Indian River exit (310) to get to the Historic 20 miles (of eye candy and drop off cliffs into Lake Michigan without guard rails!) Tunnel of Trees Route 119. There is a winery enroute. Website Info: Marking history: M-119's Tunnel of Trees route - Petoskey News Note: M-119's Tunnel of Trees route is not only a beautiful scenic route, but is also a deeply historical part of Northern Michigan's early history. Make sure you stop at "American Spoon" in Petoskey's quaint downtown. Art galleries and unique cafes. Make a pit stop to Bay Harbor, a breathtaking marina full of 100' yachts, shops, eateries from $$ to $$$$$ and an art fair is going on. On the way back to da bridge, stop at either the (interesting and nice) Indian River Fish Hatchery & Museum, or visit the Cross in the Woods, or stop at the beach at the Petoskey State Park. Petoskey has a city park that has a 20' waterfall. You can't see it from the road. You have to park in the lot and walk on a paved pathway just a little bit. Worth it. This is a townie kind of day in Michigan's "Cape Cod" area and it begins with a gorgeous "seaside" drive shaded by 100 year old trees and dotted with amazing cottages. If you like history, you can visit the Colonial Michilimackinac in Mackinaw City at the beginning or end of your day. Site: Colonial Michilimackinac - Mackinac State Historic Parks: Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City Michigan
Mackinac Island (Friday) 8/3 for Biking (tons of bike rentals available), Horse Taxi/Carriage Rides, Tour the Governor's Mansion, Horseback Riding in State Park on the Island, Touring the Grand Hotel, Grand Buffet Luncheon including admission to the front porch of the Grand Hotel, Bike to Arch Rock, Historic Churches, Excellent Golfing, Bike all the way around the Island (8 miles--mostly downhill if you start out in the correct direction!) Note to self: Pink Pony at 6 p.m. and then more bar hopping, shopping or exploring.

Pick up your discounted Mackinac Island tickets on Thurs., 8/2 from 3-5 p.m. at the campground office or, if you will be out and about, you can leave your $$ (cash, check or credit) with Kelly at her Hen House before you head out, and she will get your tickets for you. You can buy separate tickets for only the events you want to go to:
  • The Grand Buffet is $37 incl. tax, tips and admission (normally $10) to the Grand Hotel Porch and Grounds.
  • The Grand Hotel Carriage Tour of the Island (Horse Drawn) Rate currently being negotiated.
  • Discounted Ferry Tickets on Shepler's Line to and from the Island.
Charter Salmon Fishing Excursion EXPERIENCED FISHERMAN. LIMIT 8 - OR squeeze in a two hour leisure boat tour on The Pole Dancer (see event newsletter for departure times) to cruise under the Mackinac Bridge and see the shoreline.

Hope this helps! I know I'm leaving out so much. If you are traveling with children, stop at THE MYSTERY SPOT.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #321
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
New raffle item

Eastman Outdoors X-Force 300BLK Crossbow

With an arrow speed of 300 feet per second and 80 pounds of Kinetic Energy per shot, the X-Force 300 gives you incredible power. Advanced materials and precision design makes it lightweight, durable and extremely accurate. And its exclusive SilenTech coating reduces shock and noise while dramatically increasing your chances for a successful day in the field.
In the heat of the hunt. X-Force Crossbows by Eastman Outdoors, Inc. gives you an undeniable advantage. Our crossbows are masterfully designed and engineered for superior performance.
Featuring Quad limb technology, high performance cams, and premium synthetic strings and cables to deliver speed and accuracy you can count on. Using precision machined components and exacting quality control standards, X-Force crossbows are built for dependability shot after shot, season after season.
FEATURES:
  • Quad split limb design
  • Synthetic cable and string system
  • High impact stock with thumbhole
  • Single dot red dot scope
  • Four-arrow Husky Jr. quiver
  • Two 20 inch aluminum arrows with 100 grain practice points
  • Universal hard anodized 7/8 inch scope mount
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2723086.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	162946  

Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #322
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Those are great day trips you've strung together!! You are capturing some of the most popular eastern UP tourist stops and I can assure those taking them will see a good sample of the UP, or at least the flat land part of it.. Like many states the farther you go the more there is to see. If you are spending more time, then a trip to the west side of the UP will show you just how diverse and spectacular the UP really is. Other places would be a trip down the Lake Huron shore line to those towns mentioned before, along with a must see in Hardwick Pines ..You really can't even begin to get an idea of how great Mich is on a 3-4 day pass, but these listed by Mellon are a great day trip experiences for sure..