Old 12-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
There are so many lighthouses between Traverse City and Mackinac City...Wow! Wonder if we could get a private lighthouse tour set up if we get enough people?

Old 12-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #16
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Here's some general pictures of the area...landscape, Grand Hotel, Tree Tunnel...just to whet your whistle! Enjoy.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1087391...J_Xvpugw4KeowE

Old 12-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #17
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
https://picasaweb.google.com/1087391...J_Xvpugw4KeowE

Some landscape pictures of the sand dunes, right in Petoskey State Campground, the Grand Hotel, and the Tunnel of Trees (I mistakenly called it a "tree bridge").
Old 12-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellen60 View Post
There are so many lighthouses between Traverse City and Mackinac City...Wow! Wonder if we could get a private lighthouse tour set up if we get enough people?
Kelly and Steve...

This rally just sounds better and better!! We are putting it on the calendar, we're working the 2012 vacation schedule and this is great.

I see that reservations will open up 6 months before the rally dates... Is there a decision which campground at Petoskey - the Dunes or the Tannery? The Dunes looks like it has mixed trailer and tent sites and short sites (which of course works for us!) I was looking at the booking site yesterday and it looks like they start booking pretty quick once the window opens up.

Any suggestions on bringing the canoe? I don't think we'd want to attempt Lake Michigan, but are there fun smaller lakes nearby to paddle?

Thanks for being so creative!

Tina
Old 12-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
There appears to be enough early interest that we should be able to get a pretty large group of sites committed right away when they open for reservations in February.

Otherwise, an alternative would be to work with a private campground to get a group discount and that way we'd be guaranteed to get a block of sites together. I noticed there's a KOA down the road. I checked their website and they don't have 2012 rates posted yet, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be cheap.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Steve,

I would vote for the state park instead of the KOA. It is right on the lake and the dunes and the KOA is across the highway.

As I am a bit of a detail oriented crazy person when it comes to the small stuff... I just checked out the Dunes and Tannery Creek campgrounds in Petoskey Park on-line and the Dunes only has 2 sites for trailers over 25 feet. Based on the positive response on the thread, if everyone is able to attend, the group may need at least 4. Tannery can accommodate all sizes of trailers and has up to 50 amp power. It also has both sun and shade spots.

Michigan DNR :: Your Reservation system for outdoor fun This link should go to a campground map for Tannery Creek.

Tina
Old 12-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
We would also like to be at the state park if possible. We are over 25 ft and it would be nice to fit into our spot
Old 12-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #22
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
I've been to both campgrounds: the Petoskey KOA and the Petoskey State Park (located in Harbor Springs, MI). May I suggest the state park's, Tannery Creek Modern Campground? It has plenty of space, lots of power, and at least three Boardwalks directly to the wide open, sandy beach on Lake Michigan. The Dunes Beach is right there, within the state park (another section) and this beach has a huge modern bathhouse, playground, huge sandy beach area like you would expect to see in Florida, and lots of seashells to collect.

This is a trip to GO BIG on --if you can-- plan at least 3 nights and maybe up to 6 nights/7 days to see it all. The northwest tip of our mitten state is breathtakingly beautiful and diverse. Mackinac Island and the Grand Hotel is a one day trip alone. If you can extend your stay, here are some extra area suggestions:

Aug 1 - 4, 2012 Elk Rapids Harbor Days Festival 800-626-7328
> Aug 2 - 5, 2012 Boyne Falls Boyne Falls Polish Festival 231-582-6222
> Aug 4, 2012 Mackinaw City Mackinaw Area Historic Festival 231-436-4006
> Aug 4 - 5, 2012 East Jordan East Jordan Portside Art Fair 231-536-3282
> Aug 17 - 18, 2012 Frankfort Frankfort Art Fair 231-352-7251

There's a state fishery and fish museum nearby in Indian River.

At Hartwick Pines (about 75 miles east) you'll find a restored lumberjack camp with a cookhouse, memorabilia, camp quarters museum, and miles of trails through standing virgin white pines, some so big around that 20 people, hand in hand, can't encircle them.

Let's not forget a kayak or canoer's dream...Drummond Island. Going there would be a full day trip. Click on: Kayaking Drummond Island - Great Upper Michigan Paddling

There are S H I P W R E C K S on Drummond Island, too!

Downtown Petoskey is filled with original, one of a kind stores, eateries (American Spoon!) and art. There is a downtown park with a giant waterfall that is a great photo op. The big, Chicago/Detroit money came up to this part of the state to escape the city heat back in the early 1900's. They left their mark here and on Mackinac Island in all the Victorian, estate cottages and the general feel of the area.

We will have a sign up sheet at the campground for anyone who would like to visit Bay Harbor and Bay Harbor Marina (a gorgeous marina and seaside town with excellent fine dining) to take a ride on "The Rodfather", our 30' Boston Whaler. She will be moored there during the rally and will be giving little lake shore tours. --You can also sign up to take a day cruise to Mackinac Island and back on her (two hour cruise each way). Arrive for lunch at the Grand Hotel in style! Departing Friday morning and Saturday morning cost TBD--but it will be just to help with gas.-- Sunday morning we are trying to put together a salmon charter. My son is a tournament fisherman and he volunteered his boat and his time if we can help him out with gas and tip his crewman.

Michigan has some premier golf courses in the area.

There is an historic (trail) road from Petoskey to Mackinaw City called the Tunnel of Trees. Along this maybe 30 mile route is picturesque drop offs to Lake Michigan, quaint shops--just a few--and a nice winery. The road is a path is a road, winding it's way under trees that literally touch over the top and close out the light.

There are some historic Forts to visit on Mackinac Island and in Mackinac City. Seeing the Mackinac Bridge lit up at night is beautiful.

Lighthouses line the state's shoreline. So many lighthouses, so little time!

Steve has way more experience than I do --so you are in goods hands. Last year was my first year camping with any type of RV and going to campgrounds. My first try at this landed me in a camp spot right next to the dumpsters. What I lack in experience, I make up for in excitement. It will be pure joy for all of us trolls (living under the bridge) to share PURE MICHIGAN with everybody from out of state.

Mellen60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Kelly, what are the exact rally dates?
Old 12-31-2011, 07:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcair View Post
Kelly, what are the exact rally dates?
A minimum of August 2-5. I'm probably going to make a week of it plus stay for the salmon fishing so I'll be there July 27 through August 6.

I think we have enough good information and enough interest that I'll build and event on the Rally Calendar so folks can start signing up.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Mellen60

Thanks for all the great activity info. How could anybody reading this not want to sign up for this rally if at all possible. I am ready to go but I need to talk my wife into it.

Northern Michigan really is awesome!

Dan
Old 12-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
We are planning to take 2 weeks off and leave the evening of the 25th. Will probably book the campground for Aug 2-6. Don't have to be home till the 11th. Gives us lots of time to explore. Thinking about going up through Wisconsin and over the UP on the way there and then exploring the Michigan lake shore on the way home. What campsite #'s are we looking at?
Old 12-31-2011, 09:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
We're planning to arrive at the campground Wed Aug 1 and leave Mon Aug 6. We'll definitely add some time to explore the area. What isn't definite is how much time we'll add and whether it will be before Aug 1 or after Aug 6.

Does anyone know if any of Dale Chihuly's work stayed at the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids after the exhibit ended in 2010? We were thinking of including a stop there on our trip. (Roger/mcair -- the gardens have a Carnivorous Plant House -- but you probably already knew that.)

Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park

Dale Chihuly - Artist - Home

We are very much looking forward to this event!

Nancy (mrs. maccamper)
Old 12-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #28
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
If we get enough interest in the salmon fishing, we can run some "charters" on the Thursday before the official rally weekend in addition to the Sunday, August 5 date. Lets hope for great weather!

Please note that my son, Adam, is not a charter captain--he is a tournament fisherman with a super sweet boat. He can tell a joke and can drive anything with a motor...a real guy's guy. He knows how much I love Airstreaming and is going to try it himself, with a little twist..he is camping in the campground with us, in his Peterbilt "Big Nasty". I figure we can circle the wagons around him and make him feel welcome.

He said he'll take anybody out as friends, not a professional charter. Just splitting the costs of the trip is all he is asking for...that's gas and tipping a crewman. The Whaler doesn't burn a lot of fuel so it should be a good deal for anyone who wants to go. He can take out 4-5 fisherman with up to 4 observers. We can take reservations for Thursday, August 2 or Sunday. August 5. The days in between will be filled with giving free rides and cruising back and forth to Mackinac Island. My email is: Mellen60@gmail.com and feel free to contact me directly.

You can read about Big Nasty and see her bedazzled bezel at: The Painted Post: Big Nasty and The Turd

Mellen60 is offline   Reply With Quote