Old 02-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #183
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Sarge is our newest signer-upper! He is retired Air Force so "flying" an Airstream only makes sense. Welcome to the rally, Sarge. (8/1-8/5).

Now that we have over 20 Airstreams signed up, we'll have to add an at-will open house where we can all toot our horns and show off our trailers, grandkids, and pets!

Mellen60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #184
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
San Antonio , Texas
Bruce and I will be joining up with you some time Saturday, without AS due to vacation time restrictions, flying into Chicago, then heading to UP, so will be staying in local lodging, looking forward to meeting everyone, sounds like so much fun.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #185
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Never been to Michigan!

We've never been to Michigan, and while doing some research to go along with all of Kelly's great info, I found this: Mackinaw Area Visitors Guide. You can view it online or order one to be mailed to you.

Request your Visitors Guide - Mackinaw City

Tina
Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #186
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Central , Illinois
Good friends from Tulsa joining us

Our good friends from Tulsa (Ralph and Carol) will be joining us at the rally. They just made cabin reservations. Going to Mackinaw Island has been on our bucket list of things we want to do together. So, wow, thanks Steve and Kelly for this event!

Carol and I worked together at The University of Tulsa and Ralph has quite an appreciation for vintage muscle cars. Is "vintage" and "muscle car" an oxymoron? Surely not!

You can add Oklahoma to the list of states represented -- if it isn't already. So looking forward to the rally!

Nancy Mac
Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #187
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Anyone traveling up US -23 towards the "Unda da Bridge' rally, you are welcome to spend the night at our place, which is about 11 miles west of Dundee. Speaking of Dundee there is also free overnight right at Cabelas at the Dundee exit.

Looking forward to seeing/meeting you all at the rally.
Barry & Karen in Mich.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #188
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamper View Post
You can add Oklahoma to the list of states represented -- if it isn't already. So looking forward to the rally!

Nancy Mac
That's awesome, Nancy! We'll make sure you guys get a chance to salmon fish together. No worries. At this point, we are thinking it will be $60 per person to fish a half day...that includes the gear, the fuel, the tackle, the view (!) and we'll have a sandwich lunch on board. We can take 6 fisherman out at a time. We are only hoping to pay for the fuel. This is a rough guesstimate. If we can do it for less, we'll let everyone know as we get closer to the time and see what fuel prices do.

It is almost 70 degrees here in Michigan today with high winds and lots of wonderful sunshine. We have more cloudy days than sunny ones because of our proximity to the Great Lakes. I'm leaving tomorrow in The Hen House for the International Colt Starting show in Murpheesboro, TN (near Nashville). It will be a 600 mile "opener" and I've been outside all morning getting ready. When I'm fiddling around with my Airstream, I'm about the happiest person on the planet.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #189
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
$60.00 a day is a great price for a salmon outing!!Does this also include res./non res. fishing license?

Have fun a the horse show.. is there a breed you specialize in? We used to have Tenn. walkers , back in the day when we field trailed Eng. pointers.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #190
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Itchin' To Go!

I know it's several months till this rally but I'm just itchin' to go! This is going to be a very good trip for us - we start off in late July seeing Antsy McClain and the Trailer Park Troubadours in Kentucky, then on to the Under the Bridge Rally, then two weeks for Habitat for Humanity in the Upper Penisula, followed by a few days at Sleeping Bear Dunes. It doesn't get much better than that!

Lucius
Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #191
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Tennessee ringing the telephone, I am also impatiently waiting for this trip, I have not been to Mackinaw in over 30 years and I am looking forward to seeing it again. Going to have 4 grandkids with us as well, so I hope to be able to keep them occupied, the wife is easy, she loves historical stuff so she will be no problem. Me one of the things I have planed is some genealogy work up and back.
But this gas thing is really making me wonder if we are going to make it, after all we are looking at 1000 miles and if diesel tops 5 dollars it could put a stop to the trip.

Sarge
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #192
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Don't let the price of gas sway your decision too much. If you're getting 12 mpg at $5 per gallon vs. $4 per gallon it's a difference of $83. Hopefully that's not a deal-breaker for a trip of this magnitude.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #193
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I know it's several months till this rally but I'm just itchin' to go! This is going to be a very good trip for us - we start off in late July seeing Antsy McClain and the Trailer Park Troubadours in Kentucky, then on to the Under the Bridge Rally, then two weeks for Habitat for Humanity in the Upper Penisula, followed by a few days at Sleeping Bear Dunes. It doesn't get much better than that!

Lucius

AGREE!! I am getting very excited to go to Michigan too! I can't believe it's April. :-)

Tina
Old 04-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #194
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
Don't let the price of gas sway your decision too much. If you're getting 12 mpg at $5 per gallon vs. $4 per gallon it's a difference of $83. Hopefully that's not a deal-breaker for a trip of this magnitude.
Steve

I agree, this is exactly how I look at it.

Dan
Old 04-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #195
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf View Post
I agree with you on 5 vs 4 isnt, but, much above that would be as I implied is what I really meant such as the threat of over $6.00 as Obama's transportation adviser is promoting with a high tax added on the oil companies to make money for the government to spend.
Besides I have other things to consider as well besides this trip, which I can hardly for as it is now and I have no plans on cancelling.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #196
The Hen House

2011 23' International
Grand Blanc , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
I agree with you on 5 vs 4 isnt, but, much above that would be as I implied is what I really meant such as the threat of over $6.00 as Obama's transportation adviser is promoting with a high tax added on the oil companies to make money for the government to spend.
I can't even imagine $6 gas in an election year. It would be a nail in Obama's coffin if prices spike like that. I'm voting NOBama on November 6.

Sarge, your grand kids are going to L O V E riding bikes around Mackinac Island and you'll have to get a portrait of them at Arch Rock. They will love the clip-clop of all the horse taxis too. The shore is lined with ginormous old Victorian homes once you get up to the Grand Hotel. There is a chess set on the hotel's porch with pieces 2' tall to move around. Let the kiddies play with those while you and your wife grab a white rocker on the porch and order a thirst quenching lemonade. The view is spectacular and the kids can see giant ore freighters cross the water. Hope you like geraniums! That's the only secret hint about the island that I'm giving out.

There is also a place about 2.5 miles into the Upper Peninsula (across the 5 mile long Mackinac Bridge) called "The Mystery Spot". The kiddies will like that too. Bring a swimsuit with you because there are pull offs all over the shoreline right there that are big public beaches on sandy dunes. It is all unimproved, natural dunes and not very busy. It is beautiful! Pack a picnic lunch and run in the sand and water. There is a trash and trinket store on the U.P. side that is one of the best and it has a free observation deck so you can take pictures of the Mackinac Bridge from their rooftop. The place is on the left side, right after you cross over, across from Clyde's Drive In.

Don't forget to bring golf clubs everyone...this campground offers free golf at a nearby public course.

For those of you coming up the western shore, through Traverse City and Petoskey...plan to take the Historic Tunnel of Trees route to the Bridge. Google it for directions. The views are breathtaking! You'll be stopping to take lots of pictures. The winery is there too and last time I was there, they had a bunch of piglets running around and squealing. There is a little general store along the 19 mile route, the only general store, and it offers some cool stuff too. There's a hot spot for some ice cream right next door.

So much to see, so little time! I love my state and am so genuinely thrilled to share some of the best parts of it with you.

Kelly