Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #323
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
Digger how much coffee do you think we need? I have some Community coffee straight from Louisiana----best coffee in the "world" the south that is!!!!!!!!

If you're needing some more Community Coffee, let me know. I'm coming from Biloxi and can certainly pick up some more. I'm a coffee drinker and can drink the stuff all day....Thanks to the Navy......

Looking at the potluck list, would anyone want me to bring some refreshments(non-alcoholic)? I can hit up Sam's club to pick up bottled water, soda, sport drinks, things of that sort.

I'll also be supplying the Guinness!! So I hope that someone else enjoys a good Irish stout!!!!

I can't think of anything else to bring that will not spoil, as I'll be in my tent. Could bring some chips or something....maybe some paper plates, utensils....geez, I don't know

I'm planning on coming up a day earlier and should be getting into KY on Wed. Don't know if anyone else will be there, but if so we can get together on Wed night for a campfire, too

Me and my dog Whiskey are getting sooooo excited!!!!!

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
http://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
Old 04-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #324
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
HI Brian,
My wife and I will probably be there by then. Hope it warms up a little. We had snow the last three days and it has just gone now.
Al

Old 04-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #325
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Hey......any dogwoods out down there yet?

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 04-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #326
4 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Plenty of Dogwoods, however, the ones in my yard have not yet bloomed...

--------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #327
4 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Richmond , Kentucky
Folks-

A friend of mine sent me this info about the area. It looks really useful so I am doing a cut-n-paste to share.

------------------------------------------------

Someone of your group asked about wireless. Last year I used WiFi in the lobby of the lodge, but it is unlikely to be available in the campground. It is a pretty long walk to the lodge from the campground, along a backroad. Someone earlier posted the link for the park map.
There is a meeting room at the end of the lodge, at the entrance to the lobby, just inside the double doors. If the door to the meeting room is open, it is a good place to use the computer, and there are electrical outlets.

The Wildflower Weekend is a joint activity of Natural Bridge State Park, and the Kentucky Native Plant Society. Kentucky Native Plant Society Main Page

Wildflower Weekend is an excellent program, to locate and observe the wildflowers that bloom briefly at that time. There are activities in the morning, afternoon and evening on Friday and Saturday. There is a $10 fee for participation in the Wildflower Weekend for adults, $3 for 13-17, and free for pre-teens. There is a similar program at Gatlinburg, that charges $30 for one day, and $50 for to to four days, so the fee is modest. The evening programs are at the Activities Center, that is on the map. The walkway from the Activities Center to the Lodge is a unique, elevated walkway over the steep hillside, and is a curiosity by itself. Notice the moist feeling of the micro-climate along the walkway.

The nature hikes assemble at the lodge. They are to different places in the park, and to the nearby Red River Gorge, and the national forest. The walks are led by guest naturalists, as well as those from the park. Most of the walks will be to identify native wildflowers, but some may be to identify trees, or some of the many non-native plants.
Some of the walks may look for birds, but in most cases, the naturalists are able to identify a lot of things. Participants will range from plant experts to visitors to the state, who know nothing of the wildflowers in Kentucky, but you can always get questions answered. The walks usually involve some excellent scenery. Most walks are not strenuous, but you should ask the naturalist on the walk before signing up at the lodge. There will be different flowers on each walk. There are some native, hand-sized orchids, particularly on the Whittleton Arch Trail, but they are fairly rare. Flowers along the creeks will be very different from those in drier areas along the ridges, so each trail has different flowers.

The park has nature hikes by naturalists throughout the year, that are at no charge, and they may do that for your group, but most likely the naturalists will be leading Wildflower Weekend walks. So it might be better to pay the $10 fee, and take one of the walks Friday morning, and see what you think. I saw the schedule that your group had planned, but you are at the park at a unique time, for a unique event, and it would be worth taking advantage of it. You might look at doing more of your group activities on Wednesday and Thursday, and leave time Friday and Saturday for the Wildflower Weekend activities. Since a number of your group are from out of state, this would be an opportunity to see some of Kentucky, and to learn about Kentucky wildflowers, although many of the flowers have a wide range.

One of the walks will almost certainly be to Natural Bridge, and you should take that, or do it on your own. When you get to the top of Natural Bridge, cross the bridge, and continue around the ridge, past the Sky Lift to the view point. It gives a good view of Natural Bridge. The viewpoint is just up the hill from the lodge. There are other walks in the park, but the walk to Natural Bridge, and around the ridge to the view point, are a must, for the scenery, and the flowers.
The "Rock Garden" is one of the best places for viewing wildflowers, and I would do that as well.

You should consider having a meal at the restaurant at the lodge.
They could accommodate your group, but you should give them advance notice, if more than a few go to eat. They have a buffet and menu.

I would take good walking shoes, and hiking boots are good, but tennis shoes work as well. Most walks last two or three hours. Take a camera that can take closeups. Take a bottle of water with you, and a hat for the sun, and whatever you might need for a three-hour walk. If you want to help your memory, take a pencil and paper, to write down some of the flower names.

--------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #328
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Someone was talking about the weather....this is what I found on weather channel's website........this was on the 10day forcast.....I will be brining a pound of the community dark roast and medium roast......do you think that this will be enough?

Wed
Apr 15

Cloudy

60°
43°

20%

20%

Thu
Apr 16

Partly Cloudy

63°
47°

20%

20%

Fri
Apr 17

Showers

59°
46°

60%

60%

Sat
Apr 18

Mostly Cloudy

66°
47°

20%
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
Old 04-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #329
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Well at least the weather looks good. I have one question, does it tend to be windy at all? Just thinking about my canopy, I know I want to bring it, but if its going to be windy, ill keep an eye on it.
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
Old 04-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #330
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
I am in naples fl at the moment is supposed to be 80- 87all week
Old 04-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #331
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
If anyone is planning on canceling their site in the main campground, Send me a PM... We're over in the other campground and would like to get into the main one. We'll be there Fridaynight, Satruday, and head home on Sunday.
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #332
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
HankandLois.....Pm the crazycorp....he had to change plans and is going in his tent.....not sure if he will be using the same site....he had a pull through in the loop.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
Old 04-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #333
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Updated Map

As promised!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB Layout 040909.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	322.8 KB
ID:	78145  
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #334
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
looking good!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
Old 04-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #335
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
HankandLois.....Pm the crazycorp....he had to change plans and is going in his tent.....not sure if he will be using the same site....he had a pull through in the loop.
Hey all. I already swapped out with DanB on my site.

I'll be just down the road in campsite C001. Just look for the big tent, big yellow Dodge Ram and my little enclosed trailer that I'm bringing along.

Also, I'll be bringing along the extra pieces and parts that I won't be needing anymore for my 75' Sovereign. The tambour doors and curtain rails have already been spoken for, but I'll bring what I think someone might need/want. If there's something that you're looking for and need, pm me and let me know and I'll bring it.

Also, is there anyone driving up from the south that would like to caravan. I'll be heading North up I-65, I-59, I-75. I'm thinking about heading up a day early (Wed) to get a head start, but plans are still fluid right now.

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
http://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
Old 04-10-2009, 05:38 AM   #336
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyCorpsman View Post
Also, is there anyone driving up from the south that would like to caravan.
We are heading up from the south but cannot caravan unless you want to leave tomorrow.

We will be camping at the KY River Campgrounds in Frankfort Saturday through Thursday morning then heading over to Natural Bridge. I am VERY ready for a vacation. Only 10 hrs and 25 minutes until I am officially on vacation, not that I am counting.