Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > The Rally Zone > Forum Rallies & Meet Ups
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
I am thinking we will be there early on friday morning....like 8:00ish so will there be breakfast and coffee ready when we get there??????????
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #102
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
You bet!!! I have a large (40 cup) coffee pot that I will be happy to bring.
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
OMG...that's alot of caffeine.....I could be really bouncing all day drinking on that coffee pot!!! Just like the energizer bunny
TAC# KY-3
Old 02-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #104
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
Arrival

We are arriving Thursday afternoon. It is snowing as I type and I am so looking forward to camping. Dinner out on Thursday sounds good. Can't wait for some Kentucky cooking!

Kathy and Hank
H2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:35 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Thought I was going to be able to make it down for Thursday, but Drew can't get the extra day away from school. We will be pulling in between midnight and 3!

I hear there are some great campground hosts that wait up with flashlights!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Dan....are you gonna want us to all line the street for you or just at your site???
TAC# KY-3
Old 02-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Little Bride & I are interested in doing a Dutch Oven meal, anyone else interested in doing a Dutch Oven Meal? We are excited and looking forward to being there!

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #108
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouth012006 View Post
Dan....are you gonna want us to all line the street for you or just at your site???
Anyone that has witnessed me backing up, knows to stand away and guard their trailers!

Looks like the trip will be about 7 hours for me. So arrival time will depend on if I get out of work early, and if the trailer is waiting in the street when I pull into home.

That's the plan anyways...

www.campnova.com

Old 02-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #109
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
naps

Dan, if you expect the landing lights to be on, you must let us know if you are pulling over for a NAP on the way down too!!! LOL!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #110
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Louisville , Kentucky
We too are very interested in some Dutch oven cooking...... Count us in!
gregth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Do

We are interested. We have one, but unfortunately we have NO experience cooking with it. We would love to learn a little more.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #112
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Steelegood,
We are open for any suggestions, other than rigorous schedules with all day activities and excessive rules. You will have to explain what a Dutch Oven meal is and what does it require. Since this is Bourbon country I thought we might have a bourbon tasting but I'm afraid they may throw us out If the weather we have had this winter continues we will be sledding and eating snow cones SPRING PLEASE COME QUICKLY!!!

63silver
Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Dan
I think I'd take a nap and leave early in the morning,so to be thru Cinci before rush hour. I think we are scheduled to leave here Fri morn and will checkin Friday afternoon. Oh bye the way, we are not goin thru Cincinnati. BACKROADS.. LOL
Remember the wife hates interstates. I have a tripod that sits over a campfire if anyone wants to use it.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Mike,

I'd rather "bust butt" getting down there, or maybe close, than give up a day of camping.

I'm sure their are plenty of Walmarts along the way!

www.campnova.com

Old 02-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
What do you think about a schedule like this??????

Thursday April 15: Those who arrive early enough find a nice place to eat, campfire and cocktails afterwards.

Friday April 16: Community coffee, of course. Spend the day exploring the area on your own. Some children's activities planned by those interested. Dutch oven potluck Friday night 5:30pm. For those of us who have no idea what a Dutch oven is, we will bring the side dishes and drinks. Movies (How about a Jerry Bruckheimer festival since this is his home), cocktails and campfires after dinner.

Saturday April 17: Community coffee again. Explore some more. Open house for all interested owners from 1:00 - 4:00. Community potluck dinner at 5:30pm. Another night of joking, lying and plenty of tall tails.

Sunday April 18: Community Coffee. Pack up and return to the rat race longing for the next trip

OK, how about some suggestions....

63silver
Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
potluck

Since this is spring and it gets dark a little early, do we need to do dinner a little earlier? I think last year we were eating in the dusk light and had not made arrangements for any lights. Just a thought.
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2

Old 02-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
A little about Dutch Oven Cooking

Dutch Oven Cooking 101(this is a compilation from several web sites and my own experiences, and sorry it is a little on the long side).

FIRST AND FOREMOST, DUTCH OVEN COOKING IS NOT AS HARD TO DO AS IT FIRST SOUNDS.
SECONDLY,
It gives you a lot of social contact with whomever you are cooking with, i.e. friends, family etc. b/c you have to sort of babysit most meals while they are cooking. THIRD, usually the guys cook (little bride loves this) and the women folk assist or sit back and be entertained while we try to "one up" someone else. We have in the past had get together's and have a "cocktail" hour while preparing our meals. We have never had a dull moment while cooking a meal "Dutch Oven" style, and I always seem to learn a new technique or trick.

James Rogers (Airforums member) held an Air Stream - Dutch Oven Rally last Oct. We had an excellent time. Check out his thread (see his thread, same name), and he has also posted some pictures. Additionally, he is putting together another one this year, "DUTCHSTREAM 2010 RALLY", September 30 - October 3, 2010 at Ripplin' Waters Campground & Cabin Rentals, Sevierville, Tennessee. To make reservations call 1-888-747-7546. We are planning to attend this one also, and have been "recruiting" more friends to go. It's too much fun, and too easy. The last one, we got a tour of the Bush Bean Factory.

You can cook anything in a Dutch oven that you can cook on your gas or electric range and oven at home. This belief is supported by history. A friend met us at the Dutch Oven Rally last Oct. in Sevierville Tennessee, who had never used one, by the end of the weekend, he had, I believe, either three or four Dutch Ovens. One morning he and his wife had produced the best tasting pull apart "Monkey Bread" we had ever had.

Originally, dutch ovens were not the flat-bottomed variety that city folks placed on iron grates in fireplaces. Pioneer ovens had legs to hold them above glowing coals pulled out of the campfire. With ovens like the pioneers had, you too, can cook fantastic meals. You could even do it with coals from a wood fire (which is where I first began to learn), but there is an easier way that makes successful Dutch oven cooking possible, even for greenhorns, that would be to use charcoal briquettes. I have some with "legs" and some without. Both work equally well, but with flat bottomed ones you need a heavy duty trivet or iron grate to set it on.

Most problems with Dutch oven cooking arise because they don’t come with thermostats. Imagine what would happen if you lost all the dials on an electric kitchen range. Guessing at the settings would make cooking anything a hit-or-miss proposition at best.

Choosing a Dutch Oven: Generally when we speak of an outdoor Dutch oven, we mean a heavy, rough surface cast iron pot with three feet (But I also use one without the feet). The pot should have a long heavy-gauge wire handle attached to the sides that is called a bail. The lid of the pot should fit tightly and have a lip that will hold coals without them falling into your food and a handle on top that can be picked up with a lid lifter.
Your first outdoor Dutch oven probably should be one of standard depth — about 4 or 5 inches. It is tempting to buy deeper ovens, because they hold more. Deep ovens are great for large quantities of stew or big roasts. However, the lid-to-bottom distance of deep ovens makes baking breads, cakes or biscuits almost impossible. We think Lodge Dutch Ovens to be the best.

A standard 10-inch diameter oven makes enough casserole to serve three or four people. A 12-incher will feed a large family. A 16-inch oven requires a large family just to lift it when full. (we have an 8-incher for side dishes).

4 NECESSARY ACCESSORIES

A few high-quality accessories are absolutely critical (but not always necessary) to Dutch oven cooking success. Don’t skimp on these items!1. Lid lifter
Test its function before buying. You should be able to remove a Dutch oven lid easily with enough control to hold the lid vertical and shake off ashes.
2. Extra-long kitchen tongs
Food-service supply stores sell these for $2 or $3. They allow you to position charcoal briquettes without burning your knuckles. I use a basic set of barbecue tongs.

3. Welder’s gloves
Or gloves made especially for camp cooking protect your hand when handling hot gear. A kitchen oven mitt does work, but the cast iron can burn through easily, I have used them in a pinch.

4. Poultry-watering pans
Farm-supply stores sell these 16-inch wide, 5-inch deep metal pans. Get three per oven. Start charcoal in one. Place your oven in another while cooking. The sides of the pan keep wind from blowing away precious heat. They also allow you to dispose of charcoal ashes neatly after cooking. The third pan, placed upside-down beneath the pan and oven, allows you to cook without causing permanent damage to grass or pavement. I got three pans from Walmart in the dog food section, they work equally as well (and I think I paid about $3 apiece).

7 RULES TO SUCCESS

The key to successful outdoor Dutch oven cooking is knowing the temperature of your oven. The secret to this knowledge is charcoal.
Rule No. 1
Charcoal briquettes produce more uniform heat than campfire coals. They last longer, too. Brand-name briquettes have more consistent quality than bargain brands. More important, they are consistent in size— about 2 inches square — which is important for predictable heat.
Rule No. 2
Once you know this, everything else falls into place. Take your oven’s diameter in inches and double it. This is the number of high-quality, standard-size charcoal briquettes you will need to heat your oven to 325 degrees every time.
  • For a 10-inch oven, you need 20 briquettes.
  • For a 12-incher, you need 24 briquettes, and so on.
It’s that simple.
Individual Dutch ovens vary slightly in cooking temperature with the same amount of charcoal, depending on their shape and thickness. These guidelines get you close enough so that, with practice, you can discover exactly what works for your oven.
Rule No. 3
Because heat rises, briquettes heat the bottom of a Dutch oven more than the top. Consequently, you will need to divide your briquettes between the top and bottom for even heating. How many more briquettes will you need on top? About twice as many — two-thirds up, one-third down.
  • To heat a 10-inch oven to 325 degrees, you need seven briquettes below the oven and 13 on top.
  • To heat a 12-incher, you need eight below and 16 on top.
Rule No. 4
Briquettes should be spaced evenly below the bottom of the oven. On top, place one briquette on each side of the center handle and space the rest evenly around the perimeter.
No matter how evenly you space briquettes on the bottom of the oven, there will be hot spots. To compensate for this, lift the entire oven and turn it 90 degrees every 15 minutes (say clockwise), and turn the lid 90 degrees in the opposite direction (counterclockwise).
Rule No. 5
Some recipes call for temperatures higher or lower than 325 degrees. To change oven temperature by 25 degrees, add or subtract two briquettes.
If you want to bake biscuits at 375 degrees, add four briquettes to the number used for a 325-degree oven.
To slow-cook venison chili at 250 degrees, remove six briquettes.
Add or remove two-thirds of the briquettes from the top and the remainder from the bottom to maintain even heat.
Rule No. 6
Charcoal briquettes last about 30 minutes. When recipes call for longer cooking, start replacement charcoal early to avoid temperature drops.
Rule No. 7
Baked goods tend to cook faster on the bottom than on top. To avoid overcooking the bottom or under-cooking the top, remove the oven from the bottom charcoal after two-thirds of the baking time has elapsed. The bottom of the oven retains enough heat to finish the job while the top browns.

During these cold winter days, when your just bored out of your gourd, serf the Internet and look up some articles on Dutch Oven cooking. Bring one if your interested, and I will try to give anyone some help getting started if they want. USER BEWARE!, I am by no means an expert, rather a novice who just enjoys getting together with others, who enjoy eating good food, and having a good time while preparing it, as opposed to always "just showing up" at a gathering with a cooked meal. I hope this has interested a few to try, and worth considering. If I can answer any more questions, just contact me.

SEE YA'LL AT D & B RALLY!

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Old 02-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
Here are a few pictures from the Dutchstream Rally '09
Attached Images

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Old 02-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Lou,
You are right, it would probably be wise to move up the time so we are not caught cooking and eating after dark.

Steelegood,
My grilling skills are already very limited but I'm always willing to try something new. We'll bring side dishes just in case.

FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING THE DandB RALLY THERE ARE SOME SPOTS THAT HAVE BECOME AVAILABLE. PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING!!!!!

63silver
Old 02-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #120
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
We're coming

Thanks to the efforts of 63Silver some sites opened up and we were able to reserve one. We will be on site 20 arriving Wed; shows you how anxious we are. We had spent a lot of time in our AS, the Tin Inn, in '08 and '09 being home only about 14 weeks over those 2 years. We decided to stay home over the holidays but they are over and we are ready to resume our adventures. Looking forward to meeting new friends and exploring new territory.
Anyone else arriving Wed?
GreggH
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote