Old 06-15-2003, 10:45 PM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Those of you who live on the far ends of the Midwest region and want a rally, just do it. If you look back on the threads earlier this year, we all talked and talked about what dates and where and finally I think I drew the line and picked the location and date.

Quite honestly, my effort other than getting things going was pretty minimal and could be duplicated by any of you out there. So those of you who want to make it happen closer to you, just pick a date and someone step forward and make the wheels turn.

If I can help or you need some encouragement, just ask.

Regards,

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 10:59 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, to me as was the case with the old posts over the winter, at this point, I'd like to get some feedback from the folks.

Although I myself have an idea on locations, I haven't really ruled anything out myself at this stage (except an 8 hour drive). The main goal to me besides getting a nice place is to get a good size group. I am not sure we will see the 14 we had last time, but it would be much better IMHO if we could get 6 or 7 units. I think that's what we were shooting for last time and due to location, location, we exceeded that goal.

At any rate, I think the next Midwest rally will surely be after the 4th of July. With that in mind, there is a fair amount of time to collect thoughts and suggestions and see where the group might all like to go with the goals in mind.

On the other hand, I am myself trying to see it before the next Midwest rally, we might get some of the "local" folk of Chicagoland (others welcome as well) to a rally in these exact areas of IL or WI. So far I am hearing that 3 might make such a trip be it a Midwest rally or a "Chicagoland" rally.

Anyone else care to add to the discussion?

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 06:02 AM   #17
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
How about this...

How about every couple of weeks, one of us just sponsors something local to them, and posts it. They show up, and anyone who can make it shows up. No one will be able to make them all, but some of us will be able to make some of them.

Any thoughts?

Roger
Old 06-16-2003, 06:36 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to airstreamDreamer2
I agree with silvertwinky. An eight hour drive will be way too far for my mother-in-law who is disabled. And what about those of us who have to be back at work on monday? We can't drive 8 hours on friday just to leave really early on sunday. It would be rediculous.

airstreamDreamer2
Old 06-16-2003, 07:13 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by 85MH325
How about this...

How about every couple of weeks, one of us just sponsors something local to them, and posts it. They show up, and anyone who can make it shows up. No one will be able to make them all, but some of us will be able to make some of them.

Any thoughts?

Roger
I think that is a down and dirty way of getting something together, but I think that for either a Midwest gathering or even a local gathering that a bit more planning should be done. Of course it's not required but....... one nice thing about the planning stage is that we all as a result got to be parked in the same area rather than randomly through the campground which to me, made the rally a real gem.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 06-16-2003, 08:23 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
1969 29' Ambassador
Winthrop Harbor , Illinois
Labor Day Midwest Rally

Hello Jack, Kevin, Eric and the rest of the band of Gypsies!

We have just booked three sites at Blackhawk Lake in Wisconsin for the 3 day Labor Day weekend. I know that sites are still available, and that you are allowed to park up to three trailers per site (at triple rate of course).

Soooo, here is an informal invitation to a Midwest Rally.

Eric- I saw your list of campgrounds for a local rally, it looks great however I would not recommend Chain-O-Lakes. We camped there last year and found it to be a miserable place. just an FYI.

Take care y'all!
Old 06-16-2003, 10:14 AM   #21
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
One of our favorite camping spots is a place called Shades SP. It is located off US 41 just southwest of Crawfordsville, Indiana. It is about 3 hours from Chicago.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/parks/shades.html

And right down the road is Turkey Run SP:

http://www.turkeyrunstatepark.com/

If you are into hiking, Turkey Run has some really cool trails, some which are mighty difficult too. I have a four inch bruise on my butt to prove it.

All this in the middle of Indiana. Whoda thunk....
Old 06-16-2003, 10:53 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sounds good to me Curtis. Do you have a web link for Blackhawk Lake?

I had heard that about the chain state park before, but was not sure how correct the info was. Since you are the second one in a year to say that, perhaps we should nix that one for a local gathering.

Eric
Old 06-16-2003, 04:14 PM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by crazylev
One of our favorite camping spots is a place called Shades SP. It is located off US 41 just southwest of Crawfordsville, Indiana. It is about 3 hours from Chicago.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/parks/shades.html

And right down the road is Turkey Run SP:

http://www.turkeyrunstatepark.com/

All this in the middle of Indiana. Whoda thunk....
According to the web site the sites at Shades are Class B which says no electric.

Turkey run is electric.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 07:29 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Thumbs up Count us in!

Hi Everyone!

Count the three (maybe I should say 3.5?) in for another weekend in the near future. I'm with Eric on keeping it close to home mainly for selfish reasons: taveling with a strapped in 3 1/2 year old poses all sorts of challenges after about 2 hours. This doesn't mean we won't show up if it's furter away - just wishful thinking.

Starve Rock, Utica sounds fun to me! However it's bound to get hot here sooner or later (it is going to get hot, isn't it?) and they do not have anywhere to go swimming. So I'd like to suggest that we go somewhere with someplace to get wet. We're always looking for someplace new and exciting to camp, but we'd be happy going to LeRoy again, too. Can't beat the price and there is a lake!

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help with the plan.
Tracy
Old 06-16-2003, 09:07 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok, then how about a Chicago rally for a weekend at Illinois Beach State Park. It's got a fair size pond parked next to it (plenty of swimming for the brave), it's real close (not more than an hour, maybe an hour and a half for most folks), has the same setups like Gander Bay (electric and showers), nice shoreline, nice paths, same price..... Zion however is not exactly Leroy, IL but the park is set back far enough from town. Even if it gets fairly warm in July, the lake should still keep things within reason (hopefully) minus humidity.

Anyway, I was kind of thinking about one of the weekends after the 4th of July.

Sound interesting to anyone?

Eric
Old 06-16-2003, 09:20 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
Thumbs up

I just want to go any where and camp even if it is my drive way. So count me in
Old 06-16-2003, 09:27 PM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by Argosy-1
I just want to go any where and camp even if it is my drive way. So count me in
I could not have said it better myself.

Eric
Old 06-16-2003, 10:03 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
1969 29' Ambassador
Winthrop Harbor , Illinois
Hello Eric:

Your plan sounds good. I think were in. As far as Blackhawk Lake is concerned, I do not have a web site (I am NOT a computer person) however I have a phone number (608) 935-3368. I hope that more will be interested. Take care.

It's always Monday morning,
until it's Friday night - 1985
Cottage is offline   Reply With Quote