2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Fantastic. We are up to four!

Here is the final breakdown:

21- Kevin (Overlander64)
25- Eric (Silvertwinkie)
29- Roger (85MH325)
40- Tracy (Tracy Lawrence)

Brandi and I will be there Friday afternoon. Anyone care for a potluck again on Sat?

Here is a link for the weather forecast for the area (even though it's a bit early to get that weekends forecast):

http://www.weather.com/weather/local...ocalUndeclared

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:14 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Chicagoland Rally announcement!!!

Greetings Eric!

The potluck sounds good. There are two variations that might work an alternative with the smaller number involved - - Soup Pot Suprise or Hobo Meals.

In Soup Pot Surprise - - soup is the main course where a soup stock is prepared by one participant (usually either beef or chicken stock) then everyone else contributes their favorite soup ingredient(s) - - beans, vegetables, noodles, etc. - - a taste treat that is different every time that it is made. <I have two stainless steel 8 quart stock pots that I can bring if this is an appealing idea.>

In Hobo Meals - - a cook from each trailer meets at a central table to prepare the meals in aluminum foil packets that will be cooked in the evening fire's coals - - each Hobo packet contains a meat (usually hamburger or chicken - - with variations of Dutch Sausage, brautwurst or hot dogs also having been tried), one or more vegetables, and potatoes - - options include onions and/or mushrooms - - customization is possible such that it is possible to have vegetarian or special composition for other dietary concerns - - it is also easy to vary the size of the meals so that they are suitable for adults or children. The meals can be prepared at any time during the day and stored in an ice-filled cooler or refrigerators if space is available.

A side advantage to each of these activities is that the cooking is moved outside the RV - - the hobo meals are cooked in the campfire, or the soup pot surprise can be cooked on top of a grate above the campfire.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:20 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Hooray!

Welcome aboard Kevin! So glad you 're going to make it and can't wait to see your Minuet.

I'm with Kevin on the dinner idea. We've done the hobo meal packets in the past and it was lots of fun. Also they're easy. Maybe we could each bring a meat and an ingredient to add to the mix?

We're all looking forward to the weekend. Enjoy the Fourth!

Tracy
Old 07-02-2003, 10:06 PM   #18
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
and Laurie votes for the hobo meals...

Roger
Old 07-08-2003, 12:25 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Unhappy MISSING OUT

Sorry we will not be meeting with you all this time around. However, it looks as if a pattern may be developing and I think we'll be with you another time- hopefully in the not too distant future. HAVE A FUN AND SAFE TRAVEL to all of you who attend.

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 06:24 AM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sorry for the late answer, we just got back from the U.P. of Michigan for a week long trip!

We vote hobo too.

Should we all post what meat we will bring for the hobo?

Sue and Ike, sorry you can't make it and we were all closer to your neck of the woods too! Being that we just got back, I gave Brandi your email so she should be sending the mac and cheese recip soon.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 07-09-2003, 09:48 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up

Just checked the weather and it appears that it is going to be a great weekend! Friday and Sat should be sunny and warm. Sunday there appears to be a 30% chance of isolated thunderstorms.

http://www.weather.com/weather/local...ocalUndeclared

Brandi and I should be at the campground before 4pm. Spot reservations where everyone will be are posted above (with 4 of us, it shouldn't be too difficult to find everyone).

For those arriving on a weekday, the check in time is 2pm. If you are arriving on Saturday, the check in time is 5pm according to the confirmation post card I got in the mail.

Also, I'd just like take a second to remind everyone (not panic anyone) that chooses to brave Lake Michigan's temperatures to use caution when swimming. There has been some news coverage recently of mishaps regarding the undercurrents the lake does possess.

Bring plenty of sunscreen too!

See you all Friday.

Eric and Brandi
Old 07-09-2003, 06:23 PM   #22
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Brandi and I should be at the campground before 4pm. Spot reservations where everyone will be are posted above (with 4 of us, it shouldn't be too difficult to find everyone).

Eric and Brandi
Uhhh... how will we find everyone??? Oh, yeah... NOW I remember... the SILVER trailers!

Ok, the fridge is on and cooling, the Excursion got a lube/oil/filter change, gotta pump up the tires, and we're outta here!

We're going to try to leave here no later than noon, so we should be there between 4pm and 5pm if all goes well.

See you guys Friday evening!

Roger & Laurie
Old 07-09-2003, 07:03 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Wilmington , Illinois
Don't forget us!

Quote:
Originally posted by 85MH325

Uhhh... how will we find everyone??? Oh, yeah... NOW I remember... the SILVER trailers!

Roger & Laurie
Hey! Don't forget us little Minuets......we're white, little, and less shiny.

We're so excited that the weekend is approaching! I am a bit nervous about the dangerous water. I heard that 7 people drowned on the fourth of July? Frightening. We'll be sure to keep our little guy safely strapped in his floatation device at all times. I have a pair of buoys of my own......hardee har. And Ron, well, we don't call him "Monkey Butt" for nothing. All in all we're a pretty buoyant family. Seriously, we will be much more careful and alert.

As for the Hobo......I haven't quite decided what we will bring. How about this; everyone else post what you will be bringing and I'll make sure not to bring those things? Ha ha. Honestly, I probably won't decide until Friday right before we leave when I go to the Farmer's market and see what looks really scrumptious. I will be bringing some sort of marianated beef product: the old buzzard (that would be my dad) just purchased an entire cow. I'm going to take a trip over to the "Mom and Pop" grocery store. So what is the point of this paragraph, you ask? The point is - we'll be bringing something and something else from a cow.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
Tracy, Ron, Will
Old 07-09-2003, 07:25 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Chicagoland Rally announcement!!!

Greetings All!

If all goes well, I will be arriving around 2 p.m. on Friday - - spent all day in the garage with the Cadillac in hopes that it would be ready for the trip so the trailer didn't get loaded nor did two necessary repairs get completed. May still get there on Thursday, but it is looking very unlikely as the Minuet needs to have its water system sanitized, the propane tank hold-down rod replaced, as well as finalizing the loading of the coach.

My plan is to bring Johnsonville Brats and Li'l Smokies for the Hobo Meals - - will see what else I find when shopping the farmer's market tomorrow - - the big news around here is that the early season Peach crop is ripe and among the best in recent years.

The Suburban will doing towing duty again for this rally as the new wheels for the Cadillac looked great, but even with AirLifts the front tires scraped on the upper edge of the fenderwell nearly constantly - - so its off to the drawing board again - - it's beginning to look like the only way to get a new wheel for this car is through a custom manufacturer at something like $575 per wheel that will insure a new wheel that matches the original's dimensions perfectly.

Will be looking forward to the Rally!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 06:21 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bummer. I was really looking forward to seeing the Caddy/Minuet combo. I know we'll eventually see it!

We will most likely have a beef or chicken item. Right now it's looking like chicken.

Eric
Old 07-10-2003, 06:33 AM   #26
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
undecided...

We'll definately bring something to the hobo meal... just don't know what yet. I guess we'll know for sure by Saturday nite!

Kevin... I'm bummed too about the Caddy, but we're just glad you're coming. It occurs to me now that perhaps we should have hosted this in the Quad Cities!!! (almost no trip at all for us!)

Tracy... please bring that list of behaviors that we men are supposed to exhibit at the campground. I seem to have forgotten most of them, and none of us would want to disappoint you! In a moment of old-age, I seem to have also forgotten the specs on the pillows that you wanted... can you bring us back up to date, please?

Tracy AND Kevin... what a I MEANT to say was: "NOW I remember... the silver and WHITE ROUNDED trailers!"

Eric... keep the choco-milk-in-a-can cool. We have an extra-large fridge if you don't have enough space. Oh, and BTW, I'll be happy to let you level OUR trailer with OUR electric jacks and stabilizers if you have a compulsion to do more than one trailer levelling this trip, but don't want to get worn out...

See you all there tomorrow nite!

Roger & Laurie
Old 07-10-2003, 06:39 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: undecided...

Quote:
Originally posted by 85MH325
I'll be happy to let you level OUR trailer with OUR electric jacks and stabilizers if you have a compulsion to do more than one trailer levelling this trip, but don't want to get worn out...

Roger & Laurie
After setting up again, I think that after our chocolate milks and you and Laurie are fast asleep..... you might find that on Sunday when you go to leave, a new shiney manual crank system(s) on your 34 footer and I somehow magically have a new electric ones....got my tools all packed!

Eric
Old 07-10-2003, 06:45 AM   #28
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Re: Re: undecided...

Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie

After setting up again, I think that after our chocolate milks and you and Laurie are fast asleep..... you might find that on Sunday when you go to leave, a new shiney manual crank system(s) on your 34 footer and I somehow magically have a new electric ones....got my tools all packed!

Eric

Roger