Old 05-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #253
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
If anyone is even considering this event, there are very few remaining sites. Right now other than the basic sites with no shade, the only available sites are 223,224, and 120. The park is not going to hold spots as they are giving the spaces away first come, first served. The 120 is a premium site which includes a non usable Chimnea due to the burn ban, and a propane grill. Sounds like the Bonfire is out, but I will bring my propane "Fire Dancer" for all to gather round...we'll do that nightly for interested folks, right behind 322 (Where it shows fire pics on the map).

CALL AND RESERVE NOW...you can always cancel if you cannot make it.

Steve

Old 05-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #254
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Shoreacres , Texas
Connie and I will float on Sat, just not sure if we will bring tubes or kayaks. Anyone know if it is deep enough for kayaks?

Old 05-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #255
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh350 View Post
Connie and I will float on Sat, just not sure if we will bring tubes or kayaks. Anyone know if it is deep enough for kayaks?
Saw several canoes and kayaks out last weekend. All depends on how far you want to float. There are a few shallow areas near the rapids, but they are much further down steam towards the Sculls crossing.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #256
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Steve, you are illustrating the big difference with toobs versus a kayak or canoe. The stretch of the Guadalupe behind my house has some very slow spots where if you have a head wind, you will actually be blow back UPSTREAM. I have to image that with the low flows we have now, it's probably a 6 hours float for 2 1/2 - 3 miles. This equates to about 2 1/2 to three hours of paddle in an inflatable kayak, probably a little slower in a big heavy canoe. There are zero pull outs for that entire stretch, so you are committed once you begin.

Anyway, just trying to equate it to how well my girls will handle a long float. Maybe a canoe towing a toob is the way to go.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #257
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
It is a huge difference Chris. I like the canoe, and 3 hours isn't all that bad in my opinion, but toobs are much slower and will die at some points along the route. I think Seans decision for now stands as good reasoning. Take the toobs from the bridge to the park. It is only an hour, but if we stop at those rope swings it may entertain us. I dunno how many folks I could tow with my canoe. It depends on the overall length, the rating of my keel, and if I have 10" or 12" paddles to break with

Steve

On Edit...I think I'll scout out the river before we go on Saturday to get an idea for the flow.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #258
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
Trust me guys

At any given time from Fri, sat , sun there is over 300 tube's on the water from the low bridge to a place called Don's fish camp which is about 30 minutes less than getting out at Skulls bridge. that run I just talked about is 5 hours it has 2 places that are low water and low flow which is why it takes that long. Now for my drop off at the low bridge it is one hour and a half with any where from a foot to 6 foot of water in places,of which I put close to 60 a day on weekends in the water. For kayak and canoe it will be 2 hour and a half to 3 hour paddling from the low bridge to skulls there are other spots for paddling the river and I have been to most with this drought The San Marcos for now is flowing good for both tube's and paddles, and it has been consistent light rain all day may be give just a little very little better flow? The business across the street from me is putting an average of 100 plus each week end on the water all canoe's and many kayaks
Old 05-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #259
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
I dunno how many folks I could tow with my canoe. It depends on the overall length, the rating of my keel, and if I have 10" or 12" paddles to break with
You mischievous mariner, you!
Old 05-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #260
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
And you need to have properly balanced paddling gear too!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #261
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
And you need to have properly balanced paddling gear too!
Ahhh hilarity ensues. Where's my spoon, time to stir da pot again.

Steve
Old 05-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #262
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Just realized we are only at 2 weeks till the rally. Considering Amy has a 3 day weekend this weekend (She took the day off for our Anniversary this Monday), and then a 4 day weekend for Memorial day. That's what...6-7 work days till we're camping in da Casita?

Steve
Old 05-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #263
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
What a great weekend. Weather was nice and hot, new smoker is built and cooking, and we just got back from Academy where we stocked up on stuff for the rally. We purchased 3 River Run tubes to float on. There was just a price drop, and I figured the cost of two to purchase was a dollar more than renting three for a day. Now we have them for whenever!. We also loaded up on MAX LIQUIDATOR BLASTERS to have fun with while floating.

Steve

Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #264
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
AHA! The challenge has been thrown and will be heartily answered, my friend.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #265
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I wanted to let everyone know that another vendor is graciously sending us another rally prize. We are receiving a key chain from No other than The Silver Trailer by renowned designer and artist Kristiana Spaulding. Please check out her website as it has some great work on it.

Steve
Old 05-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #266
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
Great Steve

Also just to let everyone know we will have Camper ClinicII here and I will let all know what they have to show us, They will have one of their I think an 2011 trailer here on display to show off for us I will be working with them today on all the details. We are getting full now so I think we have only 4 or 5 sites left in the shade area left and about 10 in the sun area (500s) which are pull trough's I will be working with the office today and will have a more update on this to night sounds like Carnage has the ID tags worked out and all has worked on the food area great job to all for stepping up to make this a great and fun event, also we will need to get a head count for FRI if any one wants to travel to Dicks Classic cars it is something to see if you want to go not a planed event just if you want. The air museum is a planed event and they can accommodate any amount of us that go on Sat and it is a well worth event to see .

Tags
rally, san marcos, texas